LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like that picture.

I like that picture. Especially when someone posts it as a comment on my MySpace page. 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Love it Larry. I have never

Love it Larry. I have never seen that one before.

Icebergin
Icebergin's picture
User is offlineOffline
This picture makes for

This picture makes for awesome propaganda!

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Great picture - great

Great picture - great message!!

Hmmm...just wondering - would it be ok to use this for the cover on the calendar?  The calendar is coming along slowly mainly due to the technoinability of the creator (me) but it is getting there.  This picture would make a great cover!! 

LeftofLarry
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: Great picture -

jce wrote:

Hmmm...just wondering - would it be ok to use this for the cover on the calendar? The calendar is coming along slowly mainly due to the technoinability of the creator (me) but it is getting there. This picture would make a great cover!!

I cannot claim rights to this picture because I did not create it, however...I don't think there are any copyrights to it... 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

SRV_Strat
User is offlineOffline
Good afternoon Larry: A

Good afternoon Larry:

A first post from an agnostic here.

Nice sign - but I'd be very interested to hear how you can "disprove" a Theist's God.

I'm all ears.!

Mr.Duke
User is offlineOffline
I have to think that the

I have to think that the person who would make a poster like that is pretty insecure about whatever they actually believe.

Why do you care so much?  Christians are assholes because they run around trying to preach at everyone else, why become the exact same type of asshole by running around doing the same thing in the opposite direction? 

Icebergin
Icebergin's picture
User is offlineOffline
LeftofLarry wrote: jce

LeftofLarry wrote:
jce wrote:

Hmmm...just wondering - would it be ok to use this for the cover on the calendar? The calendar is coming along slowly mainly due to the technoinability of the creator (me) but it is getting there. This picture would make a great cover!!

I cannot claim rights to this picture because I did not create it, however...I don't think there are any copyrights to it...

If not, and someone has a higher-resolution hoto similar, I could whip something up for yous guys. At least then I'm using my 6 years of college. lol

YOU shut the fuck up! WE'LL save America!

LeftofLarry
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
SRV_Strat wrote: Good

SRV_Strat wrote:
Good afternoon Larry: A first post from an agnostic here. Nice sign - but I'd be very interested to hear how you can "disprove" a Theist's God. I'm all ears.!

Well first of all this was meant to be funny. It was a joke based on the christian right's movement...if you can't tell the words have been a bit changed at the top. 

As far as I'm concerned the fact that there isn't proof of a god is good enough for me.  I do not default to a theist viewpoint only because I cannot understand how evolution works of if we still haven't figured out how to cure cancer completely.  Either way..thanks for the comment. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

LeftofLarry
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr.Duke wrote:

Mr.Duke wrote:

I have to think that the person who would make a poster like that is pretty insecure about whatever they actually believe.

Why do you care so much? Christians are assholes because they run around trying to preach at everyone else, why become the exact same type of asshole by running around doing the same thing in the opposite direction?

Well I think you have to look at the bigger picture here. Activist theists (such as ourselves) are an antithesis to the huge christian right movement. Our silence has led to this type of neo/theocon rule of government, the xtian fundamentalists are not only voting they are getting elected and now our supreme court is governed by right wing theist ideologues and their decisions will affect your life. Not to mention the bullshit war and other corrupt christian ideologies that have plagued our country for quite some time now.  Religion needs to be held to the same amount of scrutiny as anything else and it takes people who are bold enough to figh the establishment to do so.  After all the civil rights movement was not passive.

As you may have heard Jerry Fallwell died this morning, good fucking riddance. He started the political movement of evangelicals....they started this in your face attitude and got active...so to have social change and to stop the xtian right from complte theocratization of this country...shutting up and sitting quiet is not an option for people like myself who actually care. Education is the key, along with activism and voting. So the fact of the matter is this for those atheists/agnostics (and I mean this generally not specifically to you) who bitch about our activism, you have to wonder why spend so much time criticizing us while giving the xtian right a free pass? After all we are on your side. Smiling

Cheers

Mr.Duke
User is offlineOffline
That's a compelling case I

That's a compelling case I suppose, and I don't doubt that the cause has merit, but I've always thought that the right idea will win out because it is the right idea, and not because someone is barking it at you on a street corner.

I don't think minds get changed by anyone being an asshole about their cause.  Look at PETA.  Do you think any steak eater in the world has ever been converted to veganism because PETA does outrageous shit?  Do hardened racists reform themselves because the NAACP tries to make them feel bad?

Christianity is on the way out.  The resurgence of it, was a political move that is floundering now.  Bush will be out of office soon, and it don't look like any of the contenders are going to replace him in religious zeal.

50 years ago though?  Think about how much progress has been made.  I just don't think meaness helps the cause is all. 

LeftofLarry
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well Mr. Duke,  I guess

Well Mr. Duke,

I guess you think what we're doing here is "mean" however, I do not understand why you think so.  If you are refering to the above pic I posted..well that was just in good fun.  I don't go out on the street and yell at people to "convert" to atheism.  However, I do believe in activism..which is why I started a Secular organization at my school which drew over 100 people on our first event.  Religion is one of those things where the establishment has allowed it free pass and not only that...but anyone against religion is automatically branded as "immoral" or "evil" or whatever.  But the more people start speaking out the more people start to feel compelled to add their voice to the cause, this is why the Rational Response Squad has been effective (and yes there have been deconversions directly related to the RRS). 

I will add this also, that if you think christianity is dying out once Bush leaves office, you are living in a dream world.  Even Barrak Obama is a huge christian..his agenda involves approaching evangelicals.  He believes secularists are wrong in thinking that there is a wall between church and state.  There is ONE known congressman that is secular ONE.  So I do not think that with bush leaves christianity in this country. 

And in 50 years things have changed because people made them change. Social change does not happen by sitting around and idealizing about it. Prime example: Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Malcolm X etc..etc..etc...

I appreciate your criticism...and I do hope you're not calling me an asshole personally. 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr.Duke, Since you've come

Mr.Duke,

Since you've come on these forums, almost all you have done is complain about "meanness" and assertivenes.  

MrDuke=We need to be more civil, we need to be more kind, we need to be more peaceful, we need to follow the Christian's rules better than the Christian. We need to actually do unto others as we would have them do unto us, even if J-Man is only a work of literary fiction. The concept is just as valid.[/quote wrote:

The members here can have differing opinions.  Some are aggresive and some prefer a gentler approach.  As long as they stay within the forum rules, each is within their right to argue in that manner. 

You complain about how the site is run.

Mr.Duke wrote:
My first thought is that I think it's ironic to have a forum called with Freethinking in the title and immediately not allow Theists to post in it.

Mr.Duke wrote:

Yes, it said that this was a forum for freethinking so long as it was not from the mind of a theist.

"Freethinking" and discussion without "taboo" would entail you could discuss any old thing you like, including unfounded religious belief in diety.  

Am I missing something?  I'm sure there are forums on this website that exist for the reason of battling theists, but why are they not allowed here?  If this is a place for free discussion, then I definitely think its ironic that the discussion is limited.

We are up front about theists posting in that forum:

A haven for those who are without a belief in god, to discuss and the theorize, think freely, and debate any issue. No taboo issue in here. NO THEISTS ALLOWED IN THIS FORUM. THEIST POSTS WILL BE DESTROYED.

Theists can make their opinions known in other forums.  They can read the posts in Freethinker's forum and if they wish to respond, they can do so in the Atheist vs Theist forum. 

You are welcome to participate in discussions and debate, but please stop the complaints.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.