Buddhism and Morality

Mattness
Mattness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Buddhism and Morality

I have a question for you guys about Buddhism and similar asian "religion" (IMO they're rather philosophies of life than religions, even though they may include some supernatural aspects).

How do you think Buddhism influences one's morality? Can it be compared to western religions in terms of "punishment & reward" morality (karma)? Or does it simply really make you appreciate all life more and makes you act out of "true" kindness? I do think Buddhism is much more honest/contemplative and down to what life really is, so I'm not sure. I look forward to your replies Smiling

Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life. - Immanuel Kant

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think Buddhism does make

I think Buddhism does make you appreciate the smaller things in life more. It addresses the human condition more than religion and is in line with idea that this is the one life you have so enjoy each moment as you experience that moment.

"Those who think they know don't know. Those that know they don't know, know."

Proffitt
User is offlineOffline
Buddhism

Buddhism is most certainly a religion. However, it is non-theistic in any since that we typically understand in Judeo-Christ0-Muslim terms. Buddhism is commonly refered to as a "philosophy" only because it totally breaks our understanding of "religion." SO, people asign it to the category of "philosophy," which is incorrect as well. I would argue that the Humanistic Buddhist movements in Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam, and other places, are far closer to atheism as we would understand it, yet totally religious in many of the ways that we would understand that... To that degree, I think we must rethink our understanding of religion. religion=bad, atheism=good- seems to fall into the same black and white thinking that makes theists in general so *&%#ing annoying, and dangerous. There are traditions that don't totally fall into this paradigm...but anyway...

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums,

Welcome to the forums, Proffitt!

When you get a chance, we'd love it if you'd hop over to General Conversations, Introductions and Humor and introduce yourself.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.