Something from Nothing?

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Something from Nothing?

No this isnt your average theists rant - I just read something that I found very interesting.

http://www.exitmundi.nl/eternity.htm

[MOD EDIT - fixed link]

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

Mordagar
RRS local affiliateSuperfan
Mordagar's picture
User is offlineOffline
I got an error saying: The

I got an error saying: The system cannot find the file specified.

Noor
User is offlineOffline
Mordagar wrote: I got an

Mordagar wrote:
I got an error saying: The system cannot find the file specified.

Same here. 

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Works for me.

Works for me.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
xamination wrote: No this

xamination wrote:

No this isnt your average theists rant - I just read something that I found very interesting.

http://www.exitmundi.nl/eternity.htm

[MOD EDIT - fixed link]

I've posted this before: therea are workable, scientific ex nihilo accounts for the universe that do not violate physics:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/common_cosmological_misconceptions

However, I tend to favor Brane theory, seeing as it accounts for why gravity is so weak in our universe... 11 dimensions and a multiverse seem to solve the problem!

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
11 dimensions and a

11 dimensions and a multiverse seem to solve the problem!

I concur. Though forgive me as quantum physics is not yet my versing, but as I understand hyperexpansion physics, multiverses are constantly "budding" off their "mother universe". This would mean that universe formation is infinite and eternal. A true infinite regress (and progress) Is that possible, just in terms of logical chains of reasoning?  

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: This

deludedgod wrote:

This would mean that universe formation is infinite and eternal. A true infinite regress (and progress) Is that possible, just in terms of logical chains of reasoning?

I've read a bit on cosmology, but this ain't my field either. 

I'm not aware of any proof that an infinite regress is impossible. It is merely an assumption, based on personal incredulity, although I can certainly sympathize with it!

I think one easy way to grasp it is Stephen Hawking's own analogy of a circle... a circle has no beginning or end. 

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think one easy way to

I think one easy way to grasp it is Stephen Hawking's own analogy of a circle... a circle has no beginning or end.

Yes but on a circle you can choose from an infinite number of mathematical points and start from there and thus create a beginning and end. Is that possible in this regard. It sounds like universal genesis is not a circle but a line which streches back into infinity. A concept which is most difficult to get ones head around. I can understand the line progressing to infinity, but regressing is mathematically more tricky. Forgive me if this assumption is moronic,

And a burning question if I may. Who is the fellow in your avatar?  

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: I think

deludedgod wrote:

Yes but on a circle you can choose from an infinite number of mathematical points and start from there and thus create a beginning and end.

Yes, but your denotations of 'beginning' and 'end' would be arbitrary.    

Quote:

Is that possible in this regard. It sounds like universal genesis is not a circle but a line which streches back into infinity.

The analogy cannot be perfect.

Quote:

A concept which is most difficult to get ones head around. I can understand the line progressing to infinity, but regressing is mathematically more tricky. Forgive me if this assumption is moronic,

There's no question that it's difficult to deal with!

Quote:

And a burning question if I may. Who is the fellow in your avatar?

Robert Laing.