cynicism and proper response

applesforadam
User is offlineOffline

Just wondering what anyone else has done in a moment of extreme cynicism in the face of the completely irrational. My personal highlight was a time that a friend of mine who thought I needed christ in my life introduced me to a youth leader from his church. After a very brief introduction, I noticed he was carrying a bible, so I politely asked "Can I have that? I don't have a bible of my own" to which he obliged. Then I threw the bible into my trash can and told them both to leave. :roll:

"It's not so much staying alive. It's staying human that's important." - 1984
www.myspace.com/applesforadam
applesforadam.blogspot.com

Darl
User is offlineOffline

This wasn't me, this is a friend of mine, who happens to be hindu. So, one day, leaving high school( i was driving) we notice a bunch of christians handing out bibles by the roadside. My friend tells me to stop, which i oblige, because he usually does crazily hilarious stuff. He takes the bible, thanks them politely and we drive away. Now we drive around the block and drive past these crazies and my friend throws the bible at them and screams 'I'M HINDU, BITCH!'

applesforadam
User is offlineOffline

I should probably put a disclaimer up that I'm not promoting this kind of behavior, just trying to get a gauge for if/how others deal with the feeling that mankind is absolutely doomed.

jester700
User is offlineOffline

Adam, that was priceless! I wish I had the stones to do that, but though I'm atheist, mom had instilled a certain amount of "be nice" in me since birth. I dunno why; I haven't yet figured out how it's helped me...

But I often think similarly, and think the bible (and Sam Harris) might be right in that "the meek shall inherit the earth" - the meek being cockroaches, after islamic & xian fundies nuke each other and take the rest of us with them.

Problem is, religious people, even moderate & liberal ones, don't see this.

applesforadam
User is offlineOffline

Yea, and this inability to use reason properly is a big factor of why I get these moments of extreme cynicism for humanity. It's just hard to put stock in the idea that someday it will get better when you look at the general mentality of society.