ayn rizzle

applesforadam
User is offlineOffline
ayn rizzle

I'm a huge fan of the works and ideas of Ayn Rand. Like any other school of thought, I could point at some of it's finer points and criticize them to death, but I can't look at the general ideals and not find a refreshing source of philosophy. Just wondering if anyone else is familiar with her and your thoughts on her if you are.

"It's not so much staying alive. It's staying human that's important." - 1984
www.myspace.com/applesforadam
applesforadam.blogspot.com

Darl
User is offlineOffline
ayn rizzle

Ayn Rand is totally sweet. Atlas shrugged goes a little over the top, i think. The fountainhead though, excellent. Anyway, I basically have the same problem as you. Of course, when she writes she writes as an ideal, so it's an uncompromising aproach, but still, it is overall an excellent philosophy in it's own way.

applesforadam
User is offlineOffline
ayn rizzle

Yea, I can appreciate though, as I'm sure you can, that Atlas Shrugged (all of her works, but this in particular as her 'masterpiece') was written in her form of Romanticism in that it is a view of how mankind "should" be so, yea, to someone who lives in a world that definately does not represent what should be, it is viewed as a little over the top. Her undying view that reason and reason alone are the highest virtue and allow each person to hold their own life as the single most valuable entity or ideal is the most powerful idea I can think of, though. And her ability to present these ideas so artistically well gives me goosebumps to really contemplate.

Darl
User is offlineOffline
ayn rizzle

THe scary thing is, her writing style was so ahead of the time. I don't remember the publishing dates, but they were at least in the 50's and it reads like she wrote it yesterday.

applesforadam
User is offlineOffline
ayn rizzle

Yep, which is why they embody the idea of timeless works.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
ayn rizzle

Ayn had a great rack too.

Regardless of how I feel about objectivism, I can certainly support that.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

applesforadam
User is offlineOffline
ayn rizzle

In all the pictures I've seen of her, she was wearing a sweater. Thank god for imagination.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
ayn rizzle

Todangst over at IG posted a great picture of her at one time, I'll try to find it.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
ayn rizzle

I don't like her, because she was overly capitalistic.

applesforadam
User is offlineOffline
ayn rizzle

That's part of the issue I have with some of her ideas, because she treats the issue of compassion and charity for those truly in need as "something that will happen naturally, but not as something that should be treated as positive in and of themselves."

GrimJesta
GrimJesta's picture
User is offlineOffline
ayn rizzle

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:

Regardless of how I feel about objectivism, I can certainly support that.

...with your face.

-=Grim=-

No Nyarlathotep, Know Peace.
Know Nyarlathotep, No Peace.