Will we ever win?

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Will we ever win?

It's just kinda depressing. Do you think we will ever win the battle against theism? Yes, I know we're right and that we have the evidence, and they don't, but sheer number wise, there are the majority. And yes, I know, bullshit is bullshit no matter how many people believe it. But i'm just thinking logistically here. With all those theists reproducing and putting their religion on their children, even if we kept deconverting people it would take a while till they were in the minority. And then you have those people like the ones that tried to convert me earlier today, the people that no matter how much evidence proves them wrong, they would die for their invisible friend. Don't get me wrong, i'm not advocating we all just give up and go home, not by a long shot. I'm just a little down because the task of deconverting the world is so daunting and we have so far to go.  Maybe I should move to Europe where there are more rational people than there are here. Sad

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
The world will never be

The world will never be without the God Belief.  It's just to easy to be comforted by..

magilum
User is offlineOffline
No, probably not. But it's

No, probably not. But it's still worth making a point of it so people riding the fence can be emboldened to admit their own doubts. What I would love to see really is a shifting of mainstream attitude toward regarding religion less as a practical approach to life, and more as a collection of myths. Even that's an enormous order.

LovE-RicH
LovE-RicH's picture
User is offlineOffline
If we don't blow ourselves

If we don't blow ourselves up, and if more $$$ is invested in education, atheists will probably become a majority. Already in the developed world (except USA?) there is less and less religious people.

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Religion is dying in the

Religion is dying in the 1st world

Sure the US is a long way behind but I'm sure you will catch up eventually

Hopefully as education improves in the 3rd world it will die there too but thats more related to dealing with issues of poverty etc than religion

The idea of the supernatural will always be there as god of the gaps but religion in politics is a obsolete and dead concept

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't think anyone can

I don't think anyone can get rid of religion completely.  However, the greatest error in life is inaction.  We believe in a great cause that will aid humanity, so it would be a worse thing to just sit around and stay quiet.  I think the majority of theists have never had their beliefs challenged, because they've lived in the safety of their homes and churches.  We need to put our message out there to educate them.

JESUS SAVES!!! .... and takes only half damage!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think we will win someday.

I think we will win someday. Religion won't disappear overnight unless we can somehow ridicule it so bad people would be embarrassed to admit they were religious(you'd think we'd accomplished this, but somehow it's not clicking yet). But their numbers will drop year by year as our species abandons primitive functions. A slow but sure process. There's no advantage to religion anymore. Even worse, abandoning science instead would be a 100% guaranteed way to ensure our extinction. We will win or we will lose. Either way, they will lose.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
as long as there are

as long as there are gullible people, there will be religion.

i get a lot of comments on my song "godless america" from theists saying that i'm either "evil" for wanting a godless america or that i'm foolish for thinking it will happen.

i have to explain to them that their taking the song too literally. of course there will never be a actual godless america. when i say "i dream of a godless america", i'm speaking of a nation where religion doesn't dictate government policy and lawmaking, and one where christianity is kept in churches and out of schools. "freedom of religion" should apply to your personal beliefs and practices, not the domination and intolerant intrusiveness that christianity has mutated that concept into.

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

Technarch
User is offlineOffline
What happens when Atheism

What happens when Atheism becomes organized and political?   What if people begin to preach Atheism?  What if it allows itself to be seen as just another set of beliefs open to rejection by others?  I just feel like it will happen eventually, leading to more argument and more resistance.  Unorganized personal Atheism is fun, but it doesn't have the means for dramatic social change.  

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
A set of beliefs in lack of

A set of beliefs in lack of belief?  I can imagine the preacher now "You must not believe by standing on your left leg and whistling dixie!" "No, he is wrong, you must not believe by standing on your right leg and whistling dixie!"

What you're putting forward just doesn't make any sense. 

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
Technarch wrote: What

Technarch wrote:
What happens when Atheism becomes organized and political? What if people begin to preach Atheism? What if it allows itself to be seen as just another set of beliefs open to rejection by others? I just feel like it will happen eventually, leading to more argument and more resistance. Unorganized personal Atheism is fun, but it doesn't have the means for dramatic social change.

i jsut finished reading a fantasy trilogy where this happned the books are called "the demon child" jennifer fallen. 

Arletta
Arletta's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think we will.  Global

I think we will.  Global Warming is not a new concept.  Scientists in the 60's were trying to convince other scientist that this was happening but no one believed them.  It took another 40 years of persistance by a few scientists convincing a few more, then a few more, till now, it's finally out there and the world is finally accepting the evidence and realizing we have to do something.  Yeah, there are still some out there who don't yet accept it, but eventually even they will come around.  Atheism hasn't been out in the public very often.  The whole purpose of the "unforgivable sin" is to stop people from even discussing the possibility of there being no god and that has carried religion thru the years.  It's only been recently that people have the ability to get any information they want at the click of a mouse.  The scientific evidence is all around them now, not hidden by the church or leaders of communities.  I think it's pretty obvious that people are becoming smarter and more educated then they were say 200 years ago.  It's going to take time, but we are not alone anymore, we are no longer hiding for fear of death (well, some countries they still are), so even if we don't see the end of religion in our lifetimes, we're still helping the cause by educating people with the real truth.  What we do today will be remembered 100 years from now I believe as the awakening of the world, lifting the cloud of misinformation and lies that has covered our planet for millenium.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
We'll win, if we work at it,

We'll win, if we work at it, but not in our lifetimes. That said, I don't want to deconvert the world. I want the world to deconvert. There is a difference.