How is religion harmful to society?

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
How is religion harmful to society?

Hey guys, I'mm trying to write a 10pg paper proving that religion IS harmful to society, and I was wondering if you hand any ideas.  Right now I have to main topics: "Incites violence" and "hinders science."  Under "incites violence" I have 3 subtopics "Incites Wars" (country to country level) "Incites terrorist acts" (religious group to religious group level) and "incites hate crimes" (person to person level).  Under "hinders science" my 3 subtopics are "blocks scientific research" (stem cells and what not) "hinders science in school" (creationism and what not) and "puts scientists under threat" (can talk about every time in history scientists have been threatend, like early astronomers and the catholic church).  Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks mates.

--Medieval 

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
It is anti individual It

It is anti individual

It actually stops personal responsibility (I do what I'm told cos god tells me)

It also stops people thinking

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Wastes time and

Wastes time and money

Encourages loss of rights (anti-obscenity, discrimination, "blue laws", etc.)

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religion discourages

Religion discourages rational thinking, and belief in superstition and myth.  It teaches people to be obediant, and not to question. It also breeds intolerance against other groups (like gays) for no good reason than the fact that they read it in a 2000 year old mythology book.

JESUS SAVES!!! .... and takes only half damage!

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
You might use the

You might use the international comparisons that Sam Harris uses in Letter to a Christian Nation. He notes that countries with high levels of religious belief, especially fundamentalist belief, consistently rate lower on human development measures like poverty, crime rate, educational achievement, infant mortality etc etc. The trend holds true for the U.S., which scores far lower on most of these measures than other developed countries, despite being by far the richest and most powerful country in the world.

The comparison is too broad to imply any causality, but the numbers are certainly suggestive. 

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
sorry I have no suggestions

sorry I have no suggestions right now, but I would love to read your essay when you get it done.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Most popular religions

Most popular religions facilitate some degree of magical thinking. I know many people who are totally disorganized, really impatient, and horrible at planning; yet they become accusatory when things don't work out for them, simply because they're incapable of thinking in terms of all the steps it takes to reach their goals. These people love the vague sense of importance and reassurance of things "working out alright" that their quasi-religious beliefs afford them.
A particular problem of Christianity is it demeans the human animal. All we've accomplished is given away to an imaginary being, and all we're left with is the guilt of two people who couldn't possibly have populated the earth by themselves. Everything good about humanity is attributed to an unecessary entity, and everything bad ends up in our laps. All I advocate is we take credit for both.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
You could also show the

You could also show the greed of the church throughout history. From the very beginning, it's all been about money and control. CapnOAwesome has a good video about this (after a bit at the beginning)

Arletta
Arletta's picture
User is offlineOffline
Adds to population growth

Adds to population growth and prevents people from protecting themselves against deadly diseases such as aids by refusing to allow people to use birth control.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Another one is the division,

Another one is the division, even amongst other believers, that religion sows. Look at modern Iraq, where Sunni muslims kill Shia muslims and vice versa for believing a slightly different thing. This is different than "incites violence" because it encourages discriminatory laws, such as the one in Anglican England that Catholics could not own property or businesses.

Largo
Largo's picture
User is offlineOffline
As I understand it, most

As I understand it, most courts in the United States now allow a witness to "swear or affirm" that their testimony will  be the truth. Affirmation is considered legally the same as an oath. But if the two terms are not used together, that is "swear or affirm", and an individual has to make the point that his testimony is under affirmation rather than oath to god, it's a dead cinch that his testimony will be disregarded by most people on most juries. It is assumed by theists that atheists are, if not outright devil worshipers, at least dishonest and deceitful. 

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Here's a couple off the top

Here's a couple off the top of my head.. 

1.)  Religion usually demands conformity, thereby stifling freedom. 

"Conformity leads to uniformity.  Uniformity and Freedom will always be incompatible".  Aldous Huxley

2.)  Religion very often promotes (or better...caters to) excessive narcissism in the individual, especially when stressing the personal relationship with said deity). "I have the answers that you do not.  I understand what you cannot".  This blinds or numbs the individual to compassion and any objectivity.  (See also.."Will to Power" - Nietschke)

Quote:
  Narcisstic personality disorder:  characterized by a rigid, unremitting conviction of personal entitlement which drives, motivates, pervades, and dominates the entire spectrum of the individual's behavior and actions. This belief assumes an imperious postion that supercedes any and all sense of social/community/family/professional association and responsibility. The individual conceptualizes and interprets rules, laws, codes, mores, and values exclusively in terms of a privately/secretly held idea of self-justification and vindication that serves to reinforce and strengthen his/her distorted and contaminated projections, images, fantasies, dogmas, doctrines and practices.

3.)  Religion often encourages denial in the human.  A mentally healthy individual should strive to be honest with themselves.  Religious ideology often prevents this from happening.  It teaches the individual to be (or feel) certain about things that they cannot be certain about and to lie to themselves about themselves.

This often forces the individual into never living their own life, but living it through others vicariously (Think reality TV, the TV evangelist, the sky daddy, etc.).

"It is fateful and ironic that the lie we need in order to survive dooms us to a life that is never really ours"  Ernest Becker  

{edited to compensate for not being awake yet}

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just skimmed so I don't

I just skimmed so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but you can point out that EVERY human advance in history has been based on empirical knowledge.  Religion, by definition deals with the non-empirical, so by instilling people with the belief that there is something beneficial to humanity inherent in the non-empirical, it is at best keeping people from making empirical observations that might be beneficial, and at worst is allowing people to make decisions based on non-empirical ideas.  Since the track record of non-empirical advancement is so dismal, we can say with some certainty that's a bad thing.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Arletta
Arletta's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have another one. It

I have another one. It inhibits emotional growth and gives people an easy out of their problems.   After a fight with my christian boyfriend last night over religion it finally came out why he still won't accept there is no god.  He said no matter what evidence is shown, he can't accept it because that would mean his mother is gone for good.  His mom passed a few years ago and he's never delt with it.  By believeing in god and heaven he doesn't have to deal with the fact that she's gone and he refuses to let go.  Atheists mourn the passing and loss of someone, then accept it, emotionally grow and become stronger, and move on.  By bypassing the mourning stage with a belief that they're still around and watching and will be seen again in some kingdom these people are not able to emotionally grow, nor move on.  They cover and suppress their grief to "put it in god's hands".

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
OOH... good answer

OOH... good answer arletta!

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Arletta wrote: He said no

Arletta wrote:
He said no matter what evidence is shown, he can't accept it because that would mean his mother is gone for good.

The sad part is that his mother is, in fact, gone for good whether he accepts it or not.

Excellent post Arletta. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
hey guys, great answers! I

hey guys, great answers! I finished the paper I started this thread for, if you want you can read it over in the general conv. thread uned "A paper I wrote." Smiling