Are there any gods/religions that you would like to be true (even through they arent)?

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Are there any gods/religions that you would like to be true (even through they arent)?

Apart from the Church of the Flying Spaghetti monster (FACT) are there any gods that you would actually like to exist?

The judeo-christian-muslim is a  bit of a tosser and I'm glad doesnt exist

Do any religions actually have pleasant deities that actually promote being a decent person?

Or to put it another way is there any religion that you can follow literary that doesnt make you a total w**nker, (is swearing allowed here)?

Jon

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
The roman god Lupercus

The roman god Lupercus

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek mythology has a lot

greek mythology has a lot of interesting characters in it, much more fun than christianity.

my wife and i always joke about how satan really isn't the bad guy  in christianity. he's like the disgruntled ex-employee who spoke out against the boss and got fired, then he formed a new company to compete with his old employer, and god released a smear campaign against him called the bible. if you use your imagination you can elaborate on the whole concept in tremendous detail.

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Googled him/her?

Roman version of pan, got some nice traits but actually seems a bit warlike, god of hunting.

Hunting for the sake of hunting (ie not for food) is generally considered to be unacceptable by at least most Europeans and followers could easily move on from hunting animals to humans.

Nope don't want an unmodified version existing next?

Jon

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote: Roman

mrjonno wrote:

Roman version of pan, got some nice traits but actually seems a bit warlike, god of hunting.

Hunting for the sake of hunting (ie not for food) is generally considered to be unacceptable by at least most Europeans and followers could easily move on from hunting animals to humans.

Nope don't want an unmodified version existing next?

Jon

Dude, he's part goat, and he plays the panflute.  He gets my vote. 

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
You're being a pick and choose Panist now!

Sure the goat and pan flute playing is cool but you can't just ignore his bad side.

I want a god that if you follow all his tennents the world will be a better place.

Like love your neighbour can go with that one, kill all gays and send them to hell, not so hot on that bit etc

The FSM obviously is this deity but I was thinking of more err commonly known ones?

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is there any god that I

Is there any god that I would like to be true?

Hmm, let's see...what's the name of that hot chick? Hold on, I'll figure it out. 

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Raelians have the

The Raelians have the hottest chicks besides women that are just atheists.

Plus, one of their charities is allegedly fixing female circumcisions performed by muslims. Even if the fix is superficial, at least they're trying.

It's just that whole visited by aliens that taught us how to clone people stuff that requires a 'rocket launch of faith'. I'm incapable of that kind of faith.

Hmmm. YAY! 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Wahaay a pro science religion

Was just reading up on the raelians with some quite nice ideas. Kinda lacking in evidence but not obviously supernatural

So are their chicks better looking than FSM wenches then?, need to get these important parts of thelogy sorted out first?

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
I guess I would pick Thor,

I guess I would pick Thor, he has a kickass hammer.

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zen Buddhism is actually

Zen Buddhism is actually pretty cool if you just discard all the mumbo-jumbo about attaining Nirvana.

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Wow didnt realise Rael had done the Blasphemy Challenge!

http://www.raelianews.org/news.php?extend.212

Can we get this guy on a Sapient show, i think he is a bit of a nut but it would make great radio ?

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Depends how you like your

Depends how you like your women I guess.

Raelian women = bathed, eat healthy, and deluded

FSM piratettes = raunchy, pasta eating, and deluded

[best Jason Mewes impersonation]They're all sluts. BAONG![end impersonation]

I think a Raelian woman would expect you to do the work while a FSM chick would throw you down and TAKE it. Just my guess. It's all speculation.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

ShaunPhilly
High Level ModeratorSilver Member
ShaunPhilly's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote: Depends

darth_josh wrote:

Depends how you like your women I guess.

Raelian women = bathed, eat healthy, and deluded

FSM piratettes = raunchy, pasta eating, and deluded

[best Jason Mewes impersonation]They're all sluts. BAONG![end impersonation]

I think a Raelian woman would expect you to do the work while a FSM chick would throw you down and TAKE it. Just my guess. It's all speculation.

It's why I like wenches and hanging out with pirates.  I like my women aggressive.

As for a god I like, I've always been fond of Bacchus/Dionysus.  He seemed like a good god to party with, as he was into theater, wine, and all that civilized stuff.

I think that this ancient god represents many of the things about ancient civilizations that I like.  

Shaun 

I'll fight for a person's right to speak so long as that person will, in return, fight to allow me to challenge their opinions and ridicule them as the content of their ideas merit.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
What about Dionysus (God of

What about Dionysus (God of booze?)

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Swearing is ver allowed

Swearing is ver allowed here except in the Kill em' with Kindness forum, so you're very okay. Not that I consider wanker a swear word. LOL

I always wished Bastet the Egyptian cat-goddess was real.

Her and Quetzacoatl, the feathered serpent god. Only cause I think he'd look cool, 'cause he was kinda vengeful and scary with his craving for sacrificial blood. Frown

I love the Egyptian pantheon SO much. I was obsessed with Egypt when I was a kid. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd have to go with the

I'd have to go with the Force quite frankly. Not that I'd be a Jedi or Sith, but somewhere in between.

And yes, the Force is as credible as a god. Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Mordagar
RRS local affiliateSuperfan
Mordagar's picture
User is offlineOffline

FreeThoughtMake...
Superfan
FreeThoughtMakesMeTingle's picture
User is offlineOffline
He kinda freaks me

He kinda freaks me out.............

meh I'd like Vishnu to be real lol.

ImmaculateDeception
ImmaculateDeception's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hands down, I would love

Hands down, I would love for Valhalla to be real and with it, the entire Norse god entourage. In Valhalla, you get to party with Odin drinking ale served by an elk. You get to eat meat from a boar who never dies; he just keeps regenearating and spewing more bacon and sausage at you. Also, I'm about 90% certain you get to listen to Heavy Metal all the time. Plus, you get to toss dwarves. The afterlife basically sounds like the best bar in the universe. Sign me up.

Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hell yeah!  Go up to that

Hell yeah!  Go up to that big mead-hall in the sky!  I think Norse mythology is pretty neat, but Greek myths also sound cool to me too. 

JESUS SAVES!!! .... and takes only half damage!

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am a big fan of Norse

I am a big fan of Norse mythology so I vote for that.

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Before I became an Atheist,

Before I became an Atheist, the god I made up wasn't terrible for a divine being.

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
These gods all seem to be interesting

But they all seem to have lots of darksides.

I guess I'm looking for a god that can err evolve, ie as human morality develops so does the gods.

Basically any set of moral tennets could look outdated in a few hundred years

Noor
User is offlineOffline
Neptune from Roman

Neptune from Roman mythology.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
religion should be given the

None

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
aphrodite would be cool.

aphrodite would be cool. Wink

Edger
User is offlineOffline
ImmaculateDeception wrote:

ImmaculateDeception wrote:
Hands down, I would love for Valhalla to be real and with it, the entire Norse god entourage. In Valhalla, you get to party with Odin drinking ale served by an elk. You get to eat meat from a boar who never dies; he just keeps regenearating and spewing more bacon and sausage at you. Also, I'm about 90% certain you get to listen to Heavy Metal all the time. Plus, you get to toss dwarves. The afterlife basically sounds like the best bar in the universe. Sign me up.

You forgot to mention the thrall girls. Doesn't Valhalla have thrall girls? 

Mordagar
RRS local affiliateSuperfan
Mordagar's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Medievalguy

Medievalguy wrote:

aphrodite would be cool. Wink

"You'll shoot your eye out, kid."

"The idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I am unable to take seriously." [Albert Einstein, letter to Hoffman and Dukas, 1946]