Atheist Mom's reaction

scientific atheist
User is offlineOffline
Atheist Mom's reaction

The reaction of that atheist man's mother is a good example of what to fear. Religion has historically utilized fear as a method of control. Fear of loss of soul, of the wrath of god, of loosing god's grace, etc. and that mother is reacting just as she was taught. We live what we learn. And it is that institutionalized fear that makes religion so dangerous. It is our atheist responsibility to expose and confront that fear for in a very real sense it is a war we fight, a war for the salvation [not religious] of humankind. It is a war grounded in the real world that will ultimately resolve our final destination. 

It is unfortunate that parents do not recognize their children as individuals that by their very existence are compelled to eventually interpret the world in their own way. Parents have a tendency to perceive their children as miniature selves and that parents are required to shape them in their own image, rather than just presenting them with worldly facts and letting the children reach their own conclusions.

I have three children all of which were provided the factual information and at the same time afforded the freedom to ultimately make their own decisions. As a result, one has a belief in a "higher power" and the other two do not. Either way it was a decision they made and one with which I live with. To me, that should be one of the main responsibities of a parent, to educate, not proselytize and it could be one of the noble goals, as atheists, that we should pursue. In pursuing that goal, our thoughts and actions must remain noble and committed to factual, rational and humanistic education. And we must lead by example.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have told my son the same

I have told my son the same thing since he was old enough to understand. To me it doesn't matter if he ends up believing or not, but I really want him to learn critical thinking skills and arrive at his own conclusions. As long as he uses reason and critical thinking he will make decisions that are best for him.

Tomcat
User is offlineOffline
I'm going to suggest a cool

I'm going to suggest a cool new book discussing parenting without faith:

Clicky