Why the Westboro Baptist Church Wins Argument about the Nature of God

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why the Westboro Baptist Church Wins Argument about the Nature of God

I was at another forum and a poster was angry that people can support Bush on his stance against abortion, yet ingnore the plight of children suffering in dying in a country that our military is occupying. She said that they (Christian Bush supporters) should go read what the bible has to say. Her meaning was that God also cares about the suffering and dying children (who have already been born, of course) in Iraq.

I was tempted, but decided against it for the sake of the continuation of the theme of the thread, to get into the argument that the biblical god does not love everyone and is in fact a god of vengence and hate. No other religious group that I know of brings that fact home more than the infamous Westboro Baptist Church, the one famous for it's "God Hates Fags" picket signs at the funerals of soldiers. I certainly don't condone what they do and I don't believe in the bible, but if one is to believe that the bible is the true word of god, should'nt they accept all the crazy wierd parts in it to?

Here's something posted at their website. Take a look. It's a good reference source for those touchy-feely, god is love believers. It will give them something to ponder:

http://www.godhatesfags.com/writings/20060331_god-loves-everyone-lie.pdf 

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
That was creepy, but you

That was creepy, but you have a point.  At least with a fundamentalist, you pretty much know where they stand.  Scary, yes, but you almost have to admire that kind of commitment...almost.

My conversations with moderates are much more frustrating because they end up thinking that I am defending fundamentalists, when all I am trying to do is point out that when you start picking and choosing what to believe is real in the bible, where does it stop?  How do they accept that some parts are to be taken figuratively and other parts are not?  Who chooses?  Generally, I get a big eye roll as they say, "Julie, why do you have to take things so literally?" and then they walk away.  I DON'T take it literally - THAT is the problem!!

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
Isn't this so weird

Isn't this so weird though.  But I agree with jce, its almost has if I have to respect the fundamentalists for taking their stand, and not budging from it.  You know what you're getting with a fundamentalist, with a moderate you have no clue.

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think Westboro's religious

I think Westboro's religious practice should be a good deconversion tool for the moderate, or lukewarm Christian. It's passages like the ones in the link that helped me "see the light" and give up belief in the bible and its god. A great resource that helped me learn "everything" about the bible that they weren't preaching in church was this one--Ken's Guide to the Bible.

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
The WBC does not ONLY go to

The WBC does not ONLY go to the funerals of dead soldiers. Regardless of that piece of their antics, they violate their own book's laws.

Exodus 22:21 Thou shalt neither vex a stranger, nor oppress him: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt. 22:22 Ye shall not afflict any widow, or fatherless child. 22:23 If thou afflict them in any wise, and they cry at all unto me, I will surely hear their cry; 22:24 And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.

Soooo, the WBC is apparently NOT reading their bible and following the words at all. AND...... god isn't real because he did not hold to his alleged promise here.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Excellent points. Just goes

Excellent points. Just goes to show that the bible is full of contradictions. Any verse of scripture can be applied to almost any situation.

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote: The WBC

darth_josh wrote:

The WBC does not ONLY go to the funerals of dead soldiers. Regardless of that piece of their antics, they violate their own book's laws.

Exodus 22:21 Thou shalt neither vex a stranger, nor oppress him: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt. 22:22 Ye shall not afflict any widow, or fatherless child. 22:23 If thou afflict them in any wise, and they cry at all unto me, I will surely hear their cry; 22:24 And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.

Soooo, the WBC is apparently NOT reading their bible and following the words at all. AND...... god isn't real because he did not hold to his alleged promise here.

This proves that no one CAN follow the bible fully. All that hate, with the rules against doing bad things, can only lead to a book that requires one to pick and choose. Of course, that is to be expected when you take the holy books of several sects of and ancient religion and add a new(er) religion's holy books into the mix.