Are Theists Idiots?

crushingstep7
Theist
crushingstep7's picture
Posts: 129
Joined: 2007-01-21
User is offlineOffline
Are Theists Idiots?

Do you think it's right to call a Theist an idiot?  I mean they flat out deny logic and reasoning, but at the same time it's really not their fault (entirely)......


lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
Posts: 165
Joined: 2007-03-15
User is offlineOffline
    Well, I think

    Well, I think outright calling someone an idiot is wrong (even if they do believe such ridiculous fairytales).  I think that most theists are just ignorant.  This meaning that they don't know any better.  When I was a theist, I was surrounded by many like minded people to validate my crazy beliefs.  I had no reason to doubt them.  That ignorance is what I think most theists are. 

 Remember, religion can be called a "mind disease," and it's usually not that person's fault for having it (they probably caught it from their parents).  So yeah, I don't think it's nice to call someone an idiot.  However, I don't see what's wrong with friendly conversation.

JESUS SAVES!!! .... and takes only half damage!


AtheistInWonderland
RRS local affiliate
Posts: 80
Joined: 2006-07-25
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Do you think it's

Quote:
Do you think it's right to call a Theist an idiot?

I don't think so. Religion is a mind virus. Attack the virus, not it's carriers.


BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
Posts: 811
Joined: 2006-08-31
User is offlineOffline
crushingstep7 wrote: Do

crushingstep7 wrote:

Do you think it's right to call a Theist an idiot? I mean they flat out deny logic and reasoning, but at the same time it's really not their fault (entirely)......

Not all of them are that stupid. Most of the smart ones come around, but not all. It's stubbornness that keeps the smart ones around. 


rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
Posts: 378
Joined: 2007-01-07
User is offlineOffline
BenfromCanada

BenfromCanada wrote:
crushingstep7 wrote:

Do you think it's right to call a Theist an idiot? I mean they flat out deny logic and reasoning, but at the same time it's really not their fault (entirely)......

Not all of them are that stupid. Most of the smart ones come around, but not all. It's stubbornness that keeps the smart ones around. 

I think the reasons some people stick with religion are not always intellectual in any way, even among some very smart people. Some people probably would find it difficult to leave a religion for family or social reasons, and don't care enough about religious issues. So, no, as a blanket statement, I think calling all theists idiots is wrong, and further in most contexts it's inappropriate because it's just an ad hominem, which has no place in a rational argument.

[Edit: Clarity]

It's only the fairy tales they believe.


thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
Posts: 1022
Joined: 2007-02-07
User is offlineOffline
Some theists are idiots

Some theists are idiots yes, just as some atheists are, some agnostics etc.  Them being a theist/atheist/whatever isn't what makes them an idiot, though. 

 Ones logic is easily overcome, but love and other such emotions are much harder.  Most theists are brought in to their religion long before they have the ability to decide, they're taught to love and get a very strong emotional bond built inside them from a young age.  The length of time they've had this bond makes it so much stronger, and this is why it is so hard to break people from their irrationality where religion is concerned.  Love is blind.

This is also a large part of why many theists feel morals, love, and everything good comes from religion and without these things morals, true love and everything good cannot exist.  It is why many feel empty when they turn from religion so against all logic go back to it. 

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/


RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
Posts: 358
Joined: 2007-02-12
User is offlineOffline
 No they are not.

 No they are not. idiots. They have just fell victim to basic human psychology and cognition. The mental disorder analogy is more correct. We know that there is no correlation between intelligence and mental disorders. Even highly intelligent individuals can hold irrational beliefs that most people would find ridiculous. These beliefs do not reflect on their intelligence, but do cause significant distress in some individuals.

"Those who think they know don't know. Those that know they don't know, know."


Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
Posts: 126
Joined: 2007-01-06
User is offlineOffline
AtheistInWonderland

AtheistInWonderland wrote:

Quote:
Do you think it's right to call a Theist an idiot?

I don't think so. Religion is a mind virus. Attack the virus, not it's carriers.

Someone once said that theists are parasites...I said theists are rather playing host to a parasitic dogma.  

Flemming Rose: “When [christians] say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission….”


American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
Posts: 1331
Joined: 2006-09-03
User is offlineOffline
Also, there are some Theists

Also, there are some Theists that are very immature. (Walton)


Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
Posts: 397
Joined: 2007-03-06
User is offlineOffline
American Atheist

American Atheist wrote:
Also, there are some Theists that are very immature. (Walton)

Tho I agree with you on your point, again you can have atheists/agnostics/anyone else thats immature.  Again, just like idiots, immaturity is not limited to theists. 

Going back to the original question, I would not call a theist (or again, anyone) an idiot until I talked to them to find out what they know and how they present themselves and their ideas.  Some people this may take a while to determine, others its usually apparent after word one.  


aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
Posts: 1923
Joined: 2006-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Do you think it's

Quote:
Do you think it's right to call a Theist an idiot?
Just out of civility, no. But if they throw the first ad hominen then it's quid pro quo.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7580
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Not a single vote for "yes,

Not a single vote for "yes, theists are idiots"

 And I agree with all of you.  Thests are not always idiots.  Furthermore there are some atheists that are idiots.  Theists are always irrational about their belief in a god, this is the commonality that I've found.

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


Noel
Silver Member
Posts: 15
Joined: 2007-03-27
User is offlineOffline
You should understand that

You should understand that religion is a trick. It’s easy to fool anyone by using twisted logic. People who fall for the god scams are not being idiots they are being fools.

 

In an attempt to stigmatize the word fool, sellers of gods claim that being called a fool fulfills a prophesy, proving that Jesus was the son of a god, but I am sure that Jesus knew that you can’t fool all of the people all the time. I can tell the future with a deck of cards. What does that make me? Wait wait! Don’t bow down and worship me! It makes me a trickster just like anyone else who claims to be a prophet.

 

 


RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
Posts: 358
Joined: 2007-02-12
User is offlineOffline
"Who is more foolish? The

"Who is more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?" - Obi Won Kanobi


Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
Posts: 592
Joined: 2007-04-11
User is offlineOffline
  Have you ever seen A

  Have you ever seen A Beautiful Mind?  That guy was pretty intelligent and he had imaginary friends.

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.


Susan
Susan's picture
Posts: 3561
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Magus wrote:   Have you

Magus wrote:
  Have you ever seen A Beautiful Mind?  That guy was pretty intelligent and he had imaginary friends.

Yes, and he overcame it through sheer willpower.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
Posts: 592
Joined: 2007-04-11
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote:Yes, and he

Susan wrote:
Yes, and he overcame it through sheer willpower.

Indeed, but even before he overcame the imaginary friends, he was a pretty smart character.

[edit] but I even.. removed the 'I' it was not suppose to be there.

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.


DeeLock
DeeLock's picture
Posts: 21
Joined: 2007-03-01
User is offlineOffline
Magus wrote: Have you

Magus wrote:
Have you ever seen A Beautiful Mind?

 

Russell Crowe...ahhhggg *drools*. Sexy, sexy, sexy.

Bisexuality immediately doubles your chances for a date on Saturday night.

-Woody Allen


qbg
Posts: 298
Joined: 2006-11-22
User is offlineOffline
I would say no. Many are

I would say no.

Many are raised as being a theist from an early age; blaming them for this is idiotic.

For me, I never really thought about my god-belief until I started to become an atheist. Maybe this is the same in theists that were much more involved than I was.

"What right have you to condemn a murderer if you assume him necessary to "God's plan"? What logic can command the return of stolen property, or the branding of a thief, if the Almighty decreed it?"
-- The Economic Tendency of Freethought


wisebob134
Theist
Posts: 18
Joined: 2007-03-08
User is offlineOffline
I know theists that are just

{Mod edit - removed post per Freethinking Anonymous rules}


BGH
BGH's picture
Posts: 2772
Joined: 2006-09-28
User is offlineOffline
Copying the rules of the

Copying the rules of the Freethinker's forum here so everyone will see them as they read through the posts.

From this point forward the moderators will be destroying posts made by theists in the "Freethinking Anonymous" forum.  If you are a theist please be careful not to waste your time posting in this forum by looking at the top of the screen to determine which forum you are in when posting.  If you are an atheist and want theists to be able to weigh in on your topic, use "General Conversation" or "Atheist vs. Theist."
 
 Thanks,
 
RRS Mod Team


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
Yowsa! I'm going to chime

Yowsa!

I'm going to chime in and say that no, theism does not correlate to being an idiot.  On the other hand, I'd say that having the name wisebob has a pretty good correlation to not reading the rules and then getting pissy when your posts get deleted.

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
Posts: 2843
Joined: 2006-03-10
User is offlineOffline
crushingstep7 wrote: Do

crushingstep7 wrote:

Do you think it's right to call a Theist an idiot? I mean they flat out deny logic and reasoning, but at the same time it's really not their fault (entirely)......

 

The amount of rational people without any irrational beliefs is zero.  

Theism is irrational, but theists are not necessarily any less rational than anyone else.

If a person is not within their epistemic rights (i.e. if they hold to a belief in a disingenuous fashion) and they are able to be aware of their irresponsibility, then they should be called on their irrationalism, not called an idiot. 

If they are unable to even grasp why their claims are irrational, then the best thing to do is walk away. 

 

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'


JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
Posts: 1219
Joined: 2007-03-20
User is offlineOffline
Hamby, that was

Hamby, that was perfect!!

 

Todangst - you are absolutely correct but sometimes I get the feeling that you do a mental sigh for all of us when I read your posts!  (But I love them!!)

 

Theists are not necessarily idiots; theism is necessarily idiotic. 


BGH
BGH's picture
Posts: 2772
Joined: 2006-09-28
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:
Yowsa!

I'm going to chime in and say that no, theism does not correlate to being an idiot. On the other hand, I'd say that having the name wisebob has a pretty good correlation to not reading the rules and then getting pissy when your posts get deleted.

Within the span of five minutes he posted in three or four freethinking anonymous threads. I deleted them all and sent him a PM, then he gets pissy. Whatever..... LOL. 


crushingstep7
Theist
crushingstep7's picture
Posts: 129
Joined: 2007-01-21
User is offlineOffline
Hold on, you're not talking

Hold on, you're not talking about me are you... cuz I don't think I did that. lol


BGH
BGH's picture
Posts: 2772
Joined: 2006-09-28
User is offlineOffline
crushingstep7 wrote: Hold

crushingstep7 wrote:
Hold on, you're not talking about me are you... cuz I don't think I did that. lol

No, a member with the username "wisebob". LOL