Bush Vows To Repeat Veto Of Stem-cell Legislation

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bush Vows To Repeat Veto Of Stem-cell Legislation

Our buddy Dubya isn't too bright.  (But then again, most of us already knew that.

Here's an article about how he vows to veto stem-cell legislation again. 

I will point out that he's a dumbshit.

The end of the article says:  "The bill would compel all American taxpayers to pay for research that relies on the intentional destruction of human embryos for the derivation of stem cells, overturning the president's policy that funds research without promoting such ongoing destruction," the White House Office of Management and Budget said in a statement of administration policy issued Tuesday morning."

However, just prior to that it says:  "The legislation would restrict federal funding to research on stem cells derived from embryos left over from the in-vitro fertilization process that would otherwise be discarded." 

HELLO???  They're headed for the trash can anyway, Dub!  Why not use them for something good?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Vanguard
Vanguard's picture
User is offlineOffline
The really sickening part is

The really sickening part is that it's the only spending bill he's ever vetoed.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
He's gone next year isn't

He's gone next year isn't he? Please say he is.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fucking asshole

Fucking asshole dubya!

On a side note, Susan, are you trying to depress me this evening? Dogdamnit, these rightists are pissing me off. 

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote:   Our buddy

Susan wrote:

Our buddy Dubya isn't too bright. (But then again, most of us already knew that.

Here's an article about how he vows to veto stem-cell legislation again.

I will point out that he's a dumbshit.

The end of the article says: "The bill would compel all American taxpayers to pay for research that relies on the intentional destruction of human embryos for the derivation of stem cells, overturning the president's policy that funds research without promoting such ongoing destruction," the White House Office of Management and Budget said in a statement of administration policy issued Tuesday morning."

However, just prior to that it says: "The legislation would restrict federal funding to research on stem cells derived from embryos left over from the in-vitro fertilization process that would otherwise be discarded."

HELLO??? They're headed for the trash can anyway, Dub! Why not use them for something good?

I'm still reeling that 29% still support this moron-in-chief. Why throw them away when you can use them for something positive? I'm pretty sure they think that women will suddenly get impregnated so they can line up for abortions for science or so doctors can pay them for their embryos. 

Flemming Rose: “When [christians] say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission….”

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: He's gone

Vastet wrote:
He's gone next year isn't he? Please say he is.

Yes he is.

Yay! 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, he's officially gone

Yes, he's officially gone January 2009.
The really sad thing is that I feel sure that what Dubya really wants is, rather than president, he wants to be king.
It is beyond my comprehension that he was elected twice.  Or was he?

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Yes, he's

Susan wrote:
Yes, he's officially gone January 2009.
The really sad thing is that I feel sure that what Dubya really wants is, rather than president, he wants to be king.
It is beyond my comprehension that he was elected twice. Or was he?

Or so we hope. They were trying to make it so that presidents can serve as long as they want. I nearly threw up when I read this the first time. 

Flemming Rose: “When [christians] say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission….”

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
UGH!!!  I am so disgusted

UGH!!!  I am so disgusted by him! 

Not to make light of this, but when I showed this to my daughter she said if Jefferson were around now he would be saying, "I'll take care of this!  Where is my musket?"   Made me smile a little.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
...and if you're disgusted

...and if you're disgusted by Dubya, don't forget that Arnie wants to change the law so he can be president!

Ack! 

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
WAIT!!!! What if we tell

WAIT!!!!

What if we tell him that we'll only use Iraqi insurgent embryos??? Or former 'Gitmo' detainees' sperm with North Korean women's eggs for stem cells???

Problem solved. He doesn't really need to know the truth. It's obviously escaped him all of these years anyway.

This is just a guarantee that 2008 will see more of a majority for the democrats including the Executive branch changes.

In 2009, we'll need to withold any stem cell treatment to the supreme court justices until they die and can be replaced.

I promise to stay optimistic until Inauguration 2009. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't mind the idea of a

I don't mind the idea of a good leader being able to serve more than 8 years. But the idea of someone like Bush doing it sends shivers up my spine.

Susan wrote:

...and if you're disgusted by Dubya, don't forget that Arnie wants to change the law so he can be president!

Ack! 

Well I'm not so sure he's not right to do so. Not so he can become president of course, but having to be born in the US in order to get elected to office strikes me as a foolish law that goes against the basic principals of democracy.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote: What if

darth_josh wrote:

What if we tell him that we'll only use Iraqi insurgent embryos??? Or former 'Gitmo' detainees' sperm with North Korean women's eggs for stem cells???

HHmm.  I don't think that'll work because if the scientists would come up with a cure from those stem cells, the current administration wouldn't allow them to be used because we'd get "infected".

OOOuu.  Wait!  Maybe it would just be the current administration that wouldn't want to be cured with those stem cells......  (now that's a thought!)

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't feel very rational

I don't feel very rational when I think of Pretzeldent Shrub.  I've never felt this way about a politician. EVER.  I really do hate the man. 

He's squeamish about "killing" blastocysts, but doesn't seem to mind using our tax money to fund a war of aggression in Iraq (which has got to be the stupidest war ever).  Yeah, if my neighbor hits me, I'm gonna take a fucking baseball bat to the guy who lives three doors down.  Heckuva job, bushie. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lynette1977 wrote: I'm

Lynette1977 wrote:

I'm still reeling that 29% still support this moron-in-chief. Why throw them away when you can use them for something positive? I'm pretty sure they think that women will suddenly get impregnated so they can line up for abortions for science or so doctors can pay them for their embryos.

My entire family still supports Emperor Dumbass.  Why? Why? WHY? WHY? WHY? 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
What also gets me is

What also gets me is politicians and various reporters refer to it as "embryonic" stem cell research. It's fucking blastocyst, not an "embryo". The cells are undifferentiated, hence the value of research with these cells.

ImmaculateDeception
ImmaculateDeception's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Yeah, this will

Yeah, this will last...right up until he gets diagnosed with parkinsons.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I feel quite strongly that

I feel quite strongly that people who are against stem cell research should ethically refuse any treatment that comes from it.

I suspect that when stem cell research finds ways to help Parkinson's or Alzheimer's or MS or spinal cord injuries, the first ones in line for treatment will be all the jerks who tried to stop the research in the first place.

So much for ethics, huh.

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
I see one major problem

I see one major problem with the stem cell legislation.  You see, the cells in the petri dish aren't aligned properly to provide for the proper chi.  Now if we do stem cell transplants and their energy is out of balance it can just cause more problems.  So Bush is right in vetoing it because we need the planets in proper alignment and the petri dishes should be a sky blue color.  Until Congress abides by proper scientific standards, and Rep. Kucinich replaces his energy efficient bulbs with natural light bulbs can Bush sign this legislation.

It's science folks, we can't just start signing any old legislation without giving it the proper Bush scientific seal of approval.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I stand corrected,

I stand corrected, D-cubed!

(Thanks for the chuckle.) 

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Diabetics cured by

Diabetics cured by stem-cell treatment.

Diabetics using stem-cell therapy have been able to stop taking insulin injections for the first time, after their bodies started to produce the hormone naturally again.

In a breakthrough trial, 15 young patients with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes were given drugs to suppress their immune systems followed by transfusions of stem cells drawn from their own blood.

The results show that insulin-dependent diabetics can be freed from reliance on needles by an injection of their own stem cells. The therapy could signal a revolution in the treatment of the condition, which affects more than 300,000 Britons.

People with type 1 diabetes have to give themselves regular injections to control blood-sugar levels, as their ability to create the hormone naturally is destroyed by an immune disorder.
Related Links

* Condition is ideal target for this kind of transplantation

* Stem Tide

* British scientists grow part of human heart

All but two of the volunteers in the trial, details of which are published today in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), do not need daily insulin injections up to three years after stopping their treatment regimes.

The findings were released to reporters yesterday as the future of US stem-cell research was being debated in Washington.

Stem cells are immature, unprogrammed cells that have the ability to grow into different kinds of tissue and can be sourced from people of all ages.

Previous studies have suggested that stem-cell therapies offer huge potential to treat a variety of diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and motor neuron disease. A study by British scientists in November also reported that stem-cell injections could repair organ damage in heart attack victims.

But research using the most versatile kind of stem cells — those acquired from human embryos — is currently opposed by powerful critics, including President Bush.

The JAMA study provides the first clinical evidence for the efficacy of stem cells in type 1 diabetes. Sufferers of the chronic condition, which normally emerges in childhood or early adulthood, have to inject themselves at least four times a day.

Type 2 diabetes, which tends to affect people later in life, is linked to lifestyle factors such as obesity. There are almost two million type 2 diabetics in Briton, most of whom control their blood-sugar levels with pills or through diet.

The new study, by a joint team of Brazilian and American scientists, found that one of the first patients to undergo the procedure has not used any supplemental synthetic

insulin for three years. “Very encouraging results were obtained in a small number of patients with early-onset disease,” the authors, led by Julio Voltarelli, from the University of São Paulo in Ribeirão Preto, Brazil. write. “Ninety-three per cent of patients achieved different periods of insulin independence and treatment-related toxicity was low, with no mortality.”

Type 1 diabetes occurs when the body’s own immune system malfunctions and destroys the insulin-producing beta cells of the pancreas, causing a shortage in the hormone.

By the time most patients receive a clinical diagnosis, 60 to 80 per cent of their beta cells have been wiped out. The disease progresses from this point very quickly, and can result in serious long-term complications including blindness, kidney failure, heart disease and stroke.

Dr Voltarelli’s team hoped that if they intervened early enough they could wipe out and then rebuild the body’s immune system by using stem cells, preverving a reservoir of beta cells and allowing them to to regenerate.

They enrolled Brazilian diabetics aged between 14 and 31 who had been diagnosed within the previous six weeks. After stem cells had been harvested from their blood, they then underwent a mild form of chemotherapy to eliminate the white blood cells causing damage to the pancreas. They were then given transfusions of their own stem cells to help rebuild their immune systems.

Richard Burt, a co-author of the study from Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago, said that 14 of the 15 patients were insulin-free for some time following the treatment. Eleven of those were able to dispense with supplemental insulin immediately following the infusion of stem cells and have not had recourse to synthetic insulin since then, he said.

“Two other patients needed some supplemental insulin for 12 and 20 months after the procedure, but eventually both were able to wean themselves from taking daily shots,” he added. One patient went 12 months without shots, but relapsed a year after treatment after suffering a viral infection, and resumed daily insulin injections. Another volunteer was eliminated from the study because of complications. The therapy, known as autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation, has already shown benefits to individuals with a range of auto-immune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn’s disease and lupus.

There are still question marks about exactly how the treatment works, and further studies will be required to fully evaluate it’s safety and efficacy.

“As a research scientist I am always hesitant to speak of a cure, but the initial results have been good and show the importance of conducting more trials,” Dr Burt said.

Given the right funding opportunities, university hospitals in London could be conducting research into the therapy within the next 12 months, he added.

“It will probably be five to eight years before we see a treatment being widely available,” he said.

In an accompanying editorial in JAMA, Dr Jay Skyler, of the Diabetes Research Institute at the University of Miami, wrote: “Research in this field is likely to explode in the next few years and should include randomised controlled trials, as well as mechanistic studies."

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
... so to all Diabetics out

... so to all Diabetics out there, you can thank Dubya for your continued suffering.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
thingy wrote: ... so to all

thingy wrote:
... so to all Diabetics out there, you can thank Dubya for your continued suffering.

Thank you, Pretzeldent Bush.  (Of course, I have Type 2, so this therapy may not help me, anyway.) 

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:

thingy wrote:

Thank you, Pretzeldent Bush. (Of course, I have Type 2, so this therapy may not help me, anyway.)

Just remember and smile that some day, Bush will be in history book with all of these bad things attributed to him. 

Don't be too hasty there. Continued research is what is needed, Iruka. Eyes on the prize. Eyes on the prize.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.