Kid tells parents he's atheist, Christian mom goes nuts

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kid tells parents he's atheist, Christian mom goes nuts

This video serves a wonderful point to people who claim that such things never occur to atheists. Paula Zahn, eat you're heart out. This was too good not to share.

Flemming Rose: “When [christians] say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission….”

Dabura13
Dabura13's picture
User is offlineOffline
Exactly why my mom will

Exactly why my mom will never know unless she has to. -_-

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
It's still on

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hope the video stays

I hope the video stays there.

Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maragon wrote: "How about

Maragon wrote:

"How about a Lobotomy?"

Isn't that what Christianity is?

I think Christianity removes the wrong lobe, though.

anti_xmas07
User is offlineOffline
That woman's reation to her

That woman's reation to her son being atheist is so classic. Most strong Chrstian believers who are emotional would act this way. The kid is so strong to tell his parents that he became an atheist. I admirer his boldness.

My parents don't know about my de-conversion to atheism. I can imagine they would react the same way. Oh, it is going to be some drama in my family when I tell everyone--they are conservative Baptist.

anti_xmas07
User is offlineOffline
That woman's reation to her

[Mod edit=double post]

naomi94
naomi94's picture
User is offlineOffline
poor kid

i feel sorry for that poor kid

that mother is a psycho bitch

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
What's kind of funny is

What's kind of funny is what one of the related videos that comes up after seeing the whole thing is. This cat acts about as rationally as she does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2mbeSAmUP4

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

alanj1421
User is offlineOffline
Send this link to any new source that you can find!!!

There are not many of us atheists that have not experiences something similar to this in our lifetime. We should be sending more clips like these to CNN, MSNBC, and others. We need this topic to be debated. I sent the link with a message to CNN. I hope that all of you would do the same.

Peace,

Alan 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
alanj1421 wrote: There are

alanj1421 wrote:

There are not many of us atheists that have not experiences something similar to this in our lifetime. We should be sending more clips like these to CNN, MSNBC, and others. We need this topic to be debated. I sent the link with a message to CNN. I hope that all of you would do the same.

Peace,

Alan

Woot!  First post!

Welcome Alan.  When you have a few minutes, we'd love for you to hop over to the General Conversation, Introductions and Humor thread and tell us a little about yourself!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Michael A. Thompson
Michael A. Thompson's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loved the father/boyfriend

Loved the father/boyfriend reaction.  You can tell this isn't the first time he's seen the mom go off her rocker.   I doubt the mother would hit her son, though, you can tell by the boys reaction.  He made no effort at ALL to defend himself physicaly.  No, this is simply  a wacked out mother.  =)

"Those who have stepped into the arena shall forever cherish a feeling the protected will never know."

Largo
Largo's picture
User is offlineOffline
A couple of points (at

A couple of points (at least). First, the mother is just reacting as anyone would who really believes that her son, the child that came out of her body, is going to wind up a giant pork rind, burnt to a crisp but never dying...just suffering the horror of burning for eternity. People really believe this nonsense, and it terrifies them. Naturally a mother would be horrified at the idea. She has no sense of how to handle such a dilemma. The natural reaction is anger, no, rage! Who dared teach my son such horrible things? I'm completely at a loss here. What do I do? What do I say? He's a kid. Maybe I can threaten him with Christmas. Yeah! That's what I'll do. He loves getting Christmas presents. Maybe the threat of losing them will straighten him out. Yeah! That'll work!
But it won't, of course. Even moderately intelligent people know Christmas has nothing to do with Christ. It started as a pagan holiday of the Winter solstice, and wound up a holiday of merchants. You don't have to be very sharp to recognize that at a fairly young age.
I have no doubt that the video is real. Of course there were mistakes and hesitations. That isn't the result of poor studying of one's lines. That's just the way people talk in real life.  They stammer, they slur, they hesitate, and, oh yeah, THEY SHOUT! On some kids that kind of thing works. On a kid who has actually decided that there is no god...it won't.

Saint Atheist
Saint Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I thought this video was

I thought this video was hilarious. I told my parents I was atheist on a trip home from college over Thanksgiving break.  My dad said, "well you have to believe in something".  My mom asked if I would raise my kids Catholic.  I said no, and we haven't discussed it since.  That was about twelve years ago.   

DelphicRaven
DelphicRaven's picture
User is offlineOffline
wow!! that's like stepping

wow!! that's like stepping back in time and remembering the day that I told my parents I didn't believe in God. People are nuts.

--Sarah--

Prayer: How to do nothing and feel like your doing something.

nonbobblehead
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Geez mom

{Mod edit - removed theist post per Freethinking Anonymous rules}

Alex666
User is offlineOffline
That was completely and

That was completely and utterly disgusting! The son chooses to be an atheist and then he gets yelled at and threatened for it? That's just stupid.

The boy's mother should do extensive research into the history of Xianity. She should learn who Apollonius of Tyana and Dionysus were. She should also learn about the Ugaritic texts and that near death experiences are a matter of neuroscience.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Alex666 wrote: That was

Alex666 wrote:

That was completely and utterly disgusting! The son chooses to be an atheist and then he gets yelled at and threatened for it? That's just stupid.

The boy's mother should do extensive research into the history of Xianity. She should learn who Apollonius of Tyana and Dionysus were. She should also learn about the Ugaritic texts and that near death experiences are a matter of neuroscience.

Hi Alex666,

After watching that video, did that woman strike you as the type that would investigate anything... much less read a book?!?

Welcome to the forums!  When you get a chance, we'd love for you to hop over to General Conversation, Introductions and Humor and introduce yourself.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Alex666 wrote: That was

Alex666 wrote:

So should the guy who posted above you.

Welcome. Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

PonkeyDon
User is offlineOffline
Got to love Christian love

Got to love Christian love and understanding, turning the other cheek and not resorting to guilt and foul rants when things don't go their way.

Poor kid. On the other hand, I'm suspicious that one of them just had a video camera handy.

Question the religious on their articles of faith long enough and they will want to burn your house down. Faith teaches poor debating skills.

TrickyNikki
TrickyNikki's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dang, that's rough. Bloody

Dang, that's rough. Bloody awful, really. It makes me, as always, grateful to be born into a sane, free-thinking, secular family. What a terrible thing, to be persecuted by your own mother for not believing a completely ridiculous idea. As always, I can't wrap my mind around how theists think. 
As much as I think the mother is digusting, mad props to the kid for standing up for his beliefs.