Homosexuality: Why we should get to the SOURCE of the hate - RELIGION

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
Homosexuality: Why we should get to the SOURCE of the hate - RELIGION

So if there's one thing that I've noticed in the gay community is that a majority of them are of faith. Why they remain a part of any religion that advocates their death is beyond me. Many in the community head straight for clergy to back them up when they want to try to win a fight. (Here in Indiana the House committee voted NOT to hold a vote on a gay marriage ban that not only banned it but also "any legal incidences of..." which would also effect straight couples. The faithers are having a fit. Eli Lilly and several other huge corps said they didn't want this amendment.)

Well...on a list I'm on here people are talking about Mitt Romney switching from a pro-choice, pro-gay, anti-gun liberal to a anti-choice, anti-gay, pro-gun nut. I've about had it with their ignoring the real issue at hand here so I decided to send this letter. I'm awaiting the hate mail!

-----

Mitt Romney. Whenever I say this name my face turns red and I want to spit fire. During the issue of "gay" marriage in Massachusetts he was on television during a hearing and someone asked him if he knew that the Supreme Court found enough evidence to show that gays should have the same right to marry and it was fundamentally unconstitutional to keep them out of the mix...why would he dare want to enact a law that is wholly unconstitutional? He sat there mumbling like an idiot and it was at that moment I realized just how dangerous people like him really are. Unconstitutional or not...if that's what they want then give it to them or else be prepared to constantly defend yourself against their venom.

All of those things that people think he stands for now, anti-abortion, anti-gay, pro-gun blah blah blah...it was only because of his recent brainwashing...er...religion... that he "claims" he no longer supports any of these. Someone who was once considered one of the most gay friendly people does an about face and does everything to bash the very things he used to stand for has ONE cause and one cause only and I think Romney is a PRIME example of this-religion.

On Abortion Romney is quoted as saying: 'I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country. I have since the time that my mom took that position when she ran in 1970 as a US Senate candidate. I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years we should sustain and support it.'

On the Abortion Pill: 'Do you support efforts to increase access to emergency con-traception?' "Yes," he replied.

On Gay Rights: 'as we seek to establish full equality for America's gay and lesbian citizens, I will provide more effective leadership than my opponent.' As well, he handed out literature at gay pride events saying, 'Mitt and Kerry [running mate Kerry Healey] wish you a great Pride weekend! All citizens deserve equal rights, regardless of their sexual preference.'

What's interesting is that this organization in Massachusetts working on an extremely anti-gay platform (this is their main issue) actually points all of this out. See http://www.massresistance.org/ and click on "The Mitt Romney Deception." Romney's newfound gay-hating, gun-toting, pro-life tactics are a complete political farce...and I let the gay-bashers do the digging for me to prove that.

What's interesting is that Romney's new book attempts to swing Christians his way. If they actually knew what Mormons believed, would they think otherwise? Here are just a few tidbits found on What is Mormonism.com

The Mormon Church teaches ALL other Churches are wrong; ALL their creeds are an abomination in the sight of God; and all their teachers are corrupt. Mormonism teaches there is no salvation outside the Mormon Church and no salvation without accepting Joseph Smith. Mormons are taught to doubt the reliability of the Bible and their leaders have consistently attacked its accuracy. A basic tenant in Mormonism today is that Jesus Christ is the brother of Satan. The Book of Mormon says of the Bible, "The Sectarian Dogma of Justification by Faith Alone has exercised an influence for evil." Mormons are taught to "shake hands" with a messenger to determine if he is from God or if he is the devil. Joseph Smith taught the moon was inhabited by people who dressed like Quakers and lived to be about 1000 years old. Mormons believe that God had sex with Mary.

My point is that Christians are DEFENDING a guy whose faith is all but blasphemous against their deity but they're only getting behind him because he's a gay bashing, pro-life, gun-toting convert. They think that because now he's subscribing to their extremist views that he's a good guy. One reader comment to his book, "Differing faiths can help each other when it is called for." Note how so many will accept someone of a religion that next to spits in the face of the man they worship just because he hates and loves the same things they do. Is it only blasphemous if you're not a gay basher?

I think the whole issue here is that religion provides a shield of protection around anti-gay sentiment and while I realize that people of faith in the liberal spectrum are helping in the fight, I also think that it's rather naive to purposefully ignore the role that religion provides in this all. It fuels the fire in a person just looking for a reason to project their anger. Moreover, do the passive faithful in our support also provide their shelter when they do little to educate others in the same respect for fear of how it will make them look? The "love the sinner, hate the sin" argument does absolutely nothing for our case. I think it's an issue that gets ignored far too often and isn't really mentioned b/c you run the risk of losing the support of those of faith who do support you when so few will. Do you address the individuals making the attacks and remain on the defensive end all of the time or do you proactively address the source of the problem? There's never an easy answer here but I think it's worth at least paying a little more attention to. Without religion fueling the fire of anti-gay hatred where would equal rights be? Personally, I don't think we'd even be HAVING this discussion if that were the case. Despite popular claims, studies show that the number of non-theistic believers in the US has doubled in past 10 years and I think that's one of the main reasons we're seeing this slow increase in a move toward equal rights. Studies also show that countries with the least religion typically do better overall so I think this only adds to our case. Likewise, other studies show that religion increases violent behavior and has a negative effect on the crime rate. Again, something we should pay more attention to.

On another note, I was listening to NPR this morning and I heard (I believe it was Pat Bauer, leader of the Indiana Democratic House) say that the gay issue turned into a heterosexual issue where domestic violence victims may be at risk. Is this how they see this issue? When it affects the heterosexuals then it's time to pay attention to who the law is affecting? It's okay if domestic violence happens within the GLBT community and they aren't protected but let's step up when it affects our fellow straight people? Even to those who say they didn't want the law they may have ONLY said no for the sole factor that it affects straights, not just gays. That right there said a lot to me.

Lynette

-----------------------------------------------

Jamie Raskin to Senator Nancy Jacobs
"Senator, when you took your oath of office, you placed your hand on the Bible and swore to uphold the Constitution. You did not place your hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible."

Flemming Rose
“When theists say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission…”

Flemming Rose: “When [christians] say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission….”

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: People

razorphreak wrote:

People like me? People who don't discriminate against you because you are homosexual? People who don't shove their beliefs down your throat if you don't want to hear them? I'm not here to tell you believe in my God and if your hatred blinded you to that point I'm sorry. You still don't know me...and you still don't understand....

i dont understand? understand what you said its a choice, i say people like that make me sick. i am sorry that you are blinded by your little fairytales. 

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Malice wrote:

Malice wrote:
i dont understand? understand what you said its a choice, i say people like that make me sick. i am sorry that you are blinded by your little fairytales.

If you believe that you were born gay, make me understand, not show me hate. I am willing to listen...

What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason. - Voltaire

ImmaculateDeception
ImmaculateDeception's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

ImmaculateDeception wrote:
And you are incorrect in that belief. Here are two reasons why

All from the same source. Tell me, why accept that "science" and not the other studies that say otherwise? How do you explain those who are gay one minute and straight the next?

Because this science is reproducible. You site a study that says homosexuality is a choice that is proven to be reproducible, and I'll believe it. So far, all the evangelical "studies" I've read concerning homosexuality just quote alot of unverifiable, phony statistics. There's no science behind them to speak of. You've got something else to present, than present it. Until then, stop purposely ignoring the truth.

Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine

Spewn
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: Malice

razorphreak wrote:

Malice wrote:

If you believe that you were born gay, make me understand, not show me hate. I am willing to listen...

The problem is that it(being gay) can't be attributed to any one factor.  Any study anyone shows you will not result in a law of sexuality.  There is no one gene responsible for sexuality.  Having genetic predisposition towards something does not guarantee that thing.

The idea that it's a choice, however, just as I choose whether or not to brush my teeth after a meal, is ludicrous.

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline

razorphreak wrote:

Malice wrote:

something tells me your not as willing as you make it sound. but i will give it a shot. It might not make much sense now but before i can amke you understand i need you to answer the following questions:

how do you know you are attracted to woman?

why dont you find  a man attrative?

how do u feel when you see an attrative woman?

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Spewn wrote:

Spewn wrote:
The idea that it's a choice, however, just as I choose whether or not to brush my teeth after a meal, is ludicrous.

Because this science is reproducible. You site a study that says homosexuality is a choice that is proven to be reproducible, and I'll believe it. So far, all the evangelical "studies" I've read concerning homosexuality just quote alot of unverifiable, phony statistics. There's no science behind them to speak of. You've got something else to present, than present it. Until then, stop purposely ignoring the truth.

http://www.narth.com/menus/cstudies.html, including http://www.narth.com/docs/nothardwired.html

http://www.leaderu.com/orgs/narth/homorig.html 

We can go back and forth on this all day long...but it won't solve the issue of hate will it? That's what we all want I believe, stop the violence?

You know out of these studies, I'm finding that it seems they believe we might be born with sexual orientation, but its envorinment that swings us one way or the other... 

What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason. - Voltaire

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Environment and Genetics

Environment and Genetics combined chooses everything about us. I didn't choose to be straight, though I was lucky enough to be. I also didn't choose to be severely socially phobic or depressed to the point I have often felt sucidal and attempted twice (so far!) That's not so lucky. Did your God choose to make me like this? If so he can go get fucked up the ass by a chainsaw!

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Spewn
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote:

razorphreak wrote:

Spewn wrote:

http://www.narth.com/menus/cstudies.html, including http://www.narth.com/docs/nothardwired.html

We can go back and forth on this all day long...but it won't solve the issue of hate will it? That's what we all want I believe, stop the violence?

You know out of these studies, I'm finding that it seems they believe we might be born with sexual orientation, but its envorinment that swings us one way or the other...

There is still no specific test that proves it is a choice just like any other choice(like whether or not you want fries with that). Something being caused by ones environment is not a choice, at all. Someone with Multiple Personality Disorder(Dissasociative Identity Disorder) acquired it within his or her lifetime, not from genetics or at birth. Would you argue that this condition is a choice as well, then?

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Did your

MattShizzle wrote:
Did your God choose to make me like this?

You choose to be depressed, to be happy, to eat some of column a, or to drink the blue pill, to be whatever else under the sun.  That is what free will we have...the will to do what we wish with our lives on Earth, but we do not control spiritual choices.  The decisions you make throughout your life lead you to the paths you come across... 

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Spewn wrote: Something

Spewn wrote:
Something being caused by ones environment is not a choice, at all. Someone with Multiple Personality Disorder(Dissasociative Identity Disorder) acquired it within his or her lifetime, not from genetics or at birth. Would you argue that this condition is a choice as well, then?

MPD/DID from my understanding of it is based upon tramatic events from the past and how that individual deals with those events later in life.  It is not a "split personality" since that is schizophrenia (brain defects with tramatic events) and, as far as I can tell, is due to a person who doesn't deal with their problems and it generates into this..so it would seem that person's choice is what leads to DID and is 100% reversable.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Fuck you if you think I felt

Fuck you if you think I felt to choose to feel that way! You obviously know nothing about biology, psychology, or frankly anything! Anyone with any ammount of sense would know that nobody would choose to feel that way. Please grow a brain and buy a clue! By the way i have a degree myself in psychology and you have no fucking clue what you are talking about - I suspect this is also the case in fields I know less about, too.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Fuck you

MattShizzle wrote:
Fuck you if you think I felt to choose to feel that way! You obviously know nothing about biology, psychology, or frankly anything! Anyone with any ammount of sense would know that nobody would choose to feel that way. Please grow a brain and buy a clue!

You know this is why I don't like responding to you because you are just far too angry... 

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
Razor gonna asnwer my

Razor gonna asnwer my questions i mean you did ask me to show you why i believe i was born gay

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
Razor gonna asnwer my

Double post

Spewn
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: Spewn

razorphreak wrote:

Spewn wrote:
Something being caused by ones environment is not a choice, at all. Someone with Multiple Personality Disorder(Dissasociative Identity Disorder) acquired it within his or her lifetime, not from genetics or at birth. Would you argue that this condition is a choice as well, then?

MPD/DID from my understanding of it is based upon tramatic events from the past and how that individual deals with those events later in life. It is not a "split personality" since that is schizophrenia (brain defects with tramatic events) and, as far as I can tell, is due to a person who doesn't deal with their problems and it generates into this..so it would seem that person's choice is what leads to DID and is 100% reversable.

MPD/DID from your understanding is flawed.  It *is* actually different identities "residing" in one person.

DID is typically created/caused during childhood as a result of a traumatic event like abuse(typically sexual).  The child's brain will create an alter-ego to deal with the events as they happen, so that the mind can associate these events with someone else.  After enough trauma, this can become a regular coping mechanism.

This is a choice, as far as you're concerned?  Whether or not it can be treated has nothing to do with how it is created/caused.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry about that...too many

Sorry about that...too many posting at once and I got lost trying to keep up... 

1. how do you know you are attracted to woman?
    Probably from not being attracted to men.
  2. why dont you find a man attrative?
    This will sound far from scientific but it's just not there. As a man, for me, it would be more like a feeling of being attracted to myself which while I think I'm decent looking for attration, I myself do not feel any sexual sense from a man's body.  That make sense?
  3. how do u feel when you see an attrative woman?
    This is where I feel sexual towards that person.  Personality aside, this is where sexual feelings towards another individual are directed at for me..when that individual is female.

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
wrote: You are quite

wrote:
You are quite wrong. I have seen a great many atheists and non-theists decry homosexuality as wrong, from viewpoints that had nothing to do with religion. Religion is not the only source of villification.

Sorry, maybe I should have clarified. The idea that being gay is bad has permeated society because the vilification began as the result of religion. Same with women. It took women over 200 years to just get equal rights. Early suffragettes attacked Christianity with a vengeance for demeaning women. If someone in America is anti-gay it's easy to see that it's likely the cause of religion. Christians are taught being gay is wrong, their kids pick up on the "fag" hatred (we've all heard "that's so gay" a million times to know that...) and viola, there you have it. In  pre-Christian times homosexuality wasn't evil. Hell, the early Catholic church even married gay people without question for nearly three centuries until someone put an end to it. It's all pretty much traceable to religion. 

Flemming Rose: “When [christians] say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission….”

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:
Fuck you if you think I felt to choose to feel that way! You obviously know nothing about biology, psychology, or frankly anything! Anyone with any ammount of sense would know that nobody would choose to feel that way. Please grow a brain and buy a clue!

You know this is why I don't like responding to you because you are just far too angry...

Try being told all of your life you're evil, disgusting, vile, perverted and worth nothing since you were very young THEN come back and say you don't know why people are angry.

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: Sorry

razorphreak wrote:

Sorry about that...too many posting at once and I got lost trying to keep up...

1. how do you know you are attracted to woman?
    Probably from not being attracted to men.
  2. why dont you find a man attrative?
    This will sound far from scientific but it's just not there. As a man, for me, it would be more like a feeling of being attracted to myself which while I think I'm decent looking for attration, I myself do not feel any sexual sense from a man's body. That make sense?
  3. how do u feel when you see an attrative woman?
    This is where I feel sexual towards that person. Personality aside, this is where sexual feelings towards another individual are directed at for me..when that individual is female.

ok well look at your answers,  none of them show that you had a choice but the way you feel instinctivly, and the same goes for me any attraction or sexual feeling for someone isnt by choice, its jsut instinct no choice is involved at all.

i hope that make sense , 

and yes your asnwer for number 2 made sense but i dont  see why you feel it would be the smae as ebing attarctive to yourself , thats not anythign to do with sexuality if someone finds them selves attractive to themselves its jsut a big ego Sticking out tongue

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Lynette1977

Lynette1977 wrote:
razorphreak wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

Try being told all of your life you're evil, disgusting, vile, perverted and worth nothing since you were very young THEN come back and say you don't know why people are angry.

Well, technically nobody will say that about me for being depressed/suicidal and having severe social anxiety, but it is true for homosexuals (which I am not.) By the way one of my best friends ever was both gay and Catholic and you wouldn't believe the shit he went through because of it. He wound up in and out of mental hospitals. Unfortuantely at the time I still had respect for religion or I'd have told him to just be gay and give up being Catholic!

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I don't mean it's true they

I don't mean it's true they are evil, vile, disgusting, etc, I mean it's true that religious fuckfaces saying that about them just may make them angry.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:
Did your God choose to make me like this?

You choose to be depressed, to be happy, to eat some of column a, or to drink the blue pill, to be whatever else under the sun. That is what free will we have...the will to do what we wish with our lives on Earth, but we do not control spiritual choices. The decisions you make throughout your life lead you to the paths you come across...

Do people choose to dislike the taste of shit?

Or put it another way. can you choose to like the taste of shit? Can you choose to enjoy the smell of shit?

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lynette1977 wrote: Try

Lynette1977 wrote:

I'm not a thin man and all my life I've been called names and addressed as such.  I have stupid people tell me stupid things all the time but I don't lower myself to their level....so why should anyone else?  It's a waste of energy and time to address such stupidity and what does it get you to be so angry? 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Better to just bust their

Better to just bust their motherfucking head open and then they learn their ass better not fuck with you!

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Malice wrote: ok well look

Malice wrote:
ok well look at your answers, none of them show that you had a choice but the way you feel instinctivly, and the same goes for me any attraction or sexual feeling for someone isnt by choice, its jsut instinct no choice is involved at all.

So you can't say you felt those sexual feelings for a woman at all in the same sense that I've never felt them for a man?

Malice wrote:
and yes your asnwer for number 2 made sense but i dont see why you feel it would be the smae as ebing attarctive to yourself , thats not anythign to do with sexuality if someone finds them selves attractive to themselves its jsut a big ego :P

haha granted its ego...but I guess because I'm a man and having sexual feelings for a man would be beyond ego for myself...probably not an explaination you've heard before but that's how it always seemed ((shrugg)) 

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Better

MattShizzle wrote:
Better to just bust their motherfucking head open and then they learn their ass better not fuck with you!

That's a good attitude to have...and if I recall history that same attitude was shared with many others like neo-nazis and skinheads...

Violence is not the answer because all it does it bring more hatred into your own life... 

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, technically nobody

Well, technically nobody will say that about me for being depressed/suicidal and having severe social anxiety, but it is true for homosexuals (which I am not.) By the way one of my best friends ever was both gay and Catholic and you wouldn't believe the shit he went through because of it. He wound up in and out of mental hospitals. Unfortuantely at the time I still had respect for religion or I'd have told him to just be gay and give up being Catholic!

I hate to hear about that shit. I know people who had interventions when they KNEW even at the age of 5 that their kids were gay. Some encouraged experimenting with boys to make them not be gay...it's so sad. The American Medical Association, American Pediatric Association, etc. have all come out and said that anti-gay sentiment is wrong on a number of levels. There simply is no reason for it. 

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline

razorphreak wrote:

Malice wrote:
ok well look at your answers, none of them show that you had a choice but the way you feel instinctivly, and the same goes for me any attraction or sexual feeling for someone isnt by choice, its jsut instinct no choice is involved at all.

So you can't say you felt those sexual feelings for a woman at all in the same sense that I've never felt them for a man?

its probly cause i havnt had much sleep but, i didnt qutie get what you meant thier. um but i will answer with the understunding i got, 

no i have never in my life felt any attraction for women in my life.  the same as you have  i am guessing never found attraction in a man. but do you see what i mean by it not being a choice?

Malice wrote:
and yes your asnwer for number 2 made sense but i dont see why you feel it would be the smae as ebing attarctive to yourself , thats not anythign to do with sexuality if someone finds them selves attractive to themselves its jsut a big ego :P

haha granted its ego...but I guess because I'm a man and having sexual feelings for a man would be beyond ego for myself...probably not an explaination you've heard before but that's how it always seemed ((shrugg))

sorry that didnt make muhc sense to me again it could be the lack of sleep thing , but what do you mean by beyond ego?  for a man to ahve sexual feelings for a man wouldnt feel any different to a man have sexaul feelings to a woman.

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

Lynette1977 wrote:

I'm not a thin man and all my life I've been called names and addressed as such. I have stupid people tell me stupid things all the time but I don't lower myself to their level....so why should anyone else? It's a waste of energy and time to address such stupidity and what does it get you to be so angry?

Please. Comparing names in a schoolyard to the things gay people have gone through is just not akin to one another. If your family tells you your sick, the media tells you your sick, your friends tell you your sick, your teachers, your church, everywhere you turn that you're vile and nasty and that you don't deserve to be equal while you don't know that you've done ANYTHING wrong other than being yourself...that's very different from being called a name by one or two people. 

I find it far from "stupid" to address people who are anti-gay and think their religion should dictate what rights people get and shelter those individuals who bash gays by doing nothing to stop it. When you're the one being attacked for something that you feel is as trivial as hair color and can do nothing to change (Millions of medical professionals agree that one's sexual orientation is innate and is harmful to use religious therapies to repress one's feelings) every time you turn around... you'll understand. 

What's that phrase? It's fine you're straight but you must act gay in public. Until you've been in our shoes you really have no room comparing.  

ImmaculateDeception
User is offlineOffline

razorphreak wrote:

Spewn wrote:

These sources are completley pathetic. I asked for verifiable, reproducable studies. Instead, you provided me with the opposite. The first two studies were statistics. Let me spell this out for you; statistics do not equal fact. Fact is reproducable. Statistics equal a percentage of something; not the whole. To summarize: reproducable, imperical evidence equals causation. Half-hearted statistics equal correlation. Correalation does not equal causation. Correlation does not equal fact. Are you getting it now, or do I need to pull out the flash cards? Do I even need to mention that the third link was a dead one? A 404 error doesn't do much to help your case.

You are damning the existance of an entire group of people. If you really intending to stain yourself with this horrendous act, you better make damn sure it's justified. For your own good, I suggest you check some better sources.

MisterDax
User is offlineOffline
Quote: You assume too

Quote:
You assume too much.  You're right about one thing, I don't hate you.  Thing is, I don't hate what you do because that would still be hating on you as an individual.  To hate sin means to not agree with doing it yourself, not hating on it because someone else is doing it.  If it's your choice to be gay then so be it and may God bring you peace.  Don't read so much into it until you get to know the person...

So what you are saying is that you actually have no problem with homosexuality. If that is the case, I strogly advice not to use the word 'hate', because it such a strong word.

Oh, by the way, it isn't my choise to be gay. Is it your choise to be heterosexual (sorry, assuming that you are). 

dassercha
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Just throwin' this

Just throwin' this out: 

Sexuality is a continuum. Rarely are individuals exclusively at one end or the other. If one can HONESTLY say they have NEVER EVER felt an attraction for the same sex, one is either:

A) at the polar opposite of the spectrum, or

B) completely and possibly pathologically not in touch with oneself.

1. I'm almost exclusively attracted to the opposite sex, but do on an ongoing basis feel attraction to certain males here & there. Few & far b/w, but it's there. As a young teen, I experimented. Stats show most people do.

2. Granted, there are many individuals out there who have been hurt and/or angry who engage in self-defeating behavior of ALL SORTS. Throwing a book at them and saying: "God sez no!" doesn't help. Walking people thru pain and being a compassionate person to ALL people at all times is key.

There's a helluva a lot of complex issues underlying our humanity and nature/nurture is a big factor in all of it.

EDUCATION! EDUCATION! EDUCATION!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: Vastet

razorphreak wrote:

Vastet wrote:
You ever found yourself attracted to men Razor?

Can't say I have.

This was a lead up to a question that has already been covered by Malice, so I don't really have anywhere to go with it now.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
MisterDax wrote: So what

MisterDax wrote:
So what you are saying is that you actually have no problem with homosexuality. If that is the case, I strogly advice not to use the word 'hate', because it such a strong word.

That's what I've been saying from the first post.  As far as using "hate", I've been trying to explain why those who do are not following the bible if they are claiming to be Christians... 

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
ImmaculateDeception

These sources are completley pathetic. I asked for verifiable, reproducable studies. Instead, you provided me with the opposite.

According to whom?  It didn't agree with your brand of science so it must be crap huh?  As to the 3rd link, it still worked for me...

You are damning the existance of an entire group of people. If you really intending to stain yourself with this horrendous act, you better make damn sure it's justified. For your own good, I suggest you check some better sources.

I didn't damn anyone or anything.  You need to reread what I've been writting... 

Spewn
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: I

razorphreak wrote:

I didn't damn anyone or anything. You need to reread what I've been writting...

No.  Quite convenient that you don't have to, isn't it?  You have a handy little book that does all your damning and judging for you, all the while making sure you don't yourself do it.  This is a classic example of abusive behavior, typically found in a domestic relationship.  Responsibility is shifted, in the mind of the abuser, to someone or something else.  In this way, the abuser can continue his or her abusive actions(whether they be emotional, physical, mental or verbal). 

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Spewn wrote: Quite

Spewn wrote:
Quite convenient that you don't have to, isn't it? You have a handy little book that does all your damning and judging for you, all the while making sure you don't yourself do it.

Dude...what??  You don't even know what you are talking about now...and you've made one very weird and frankly angry assumption that has no merit to me or to what is written in the bible, ESPECIALLY the new testament.

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:

Vastet wrote:
razorphreak wrote:

Vastet wrote:
You ever found yourself attracted to men Razor?

Can't say I have.

This was a lead up to a question that has already been covered by Malice, so I don't really have anywhere to go with it now.

Which i notice Razor has not responded to yet.*hint hint* Razor

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Malice wrote: Which i

Malice wrote:
Which i notice Razor has not responded to yet.*hint hint* Razor

I thought I responded to the questions...what did I miss? 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Don't you even know theists

Don't you even know theists aren't even supposed to be posting in this forum.

ImmaculateDeception
User is offlineOffline
Quote: According to whom?

Quote:
According to whom? It didn't agree with your brand of science so it must be crap huh? As to the 3rd link, it still worked for me...

I'm just going to quote you as a response.

Quote:
You need to reread what I've been writting...

I very thouroughly explained the diffrences between your sources and mine. Your study, like I said was based around hollow stattistics, and not reproducable evidence. Since your incapable of seeing past your own nose, I'll quote you from a study I read recently linking religion and violent sex crimes (sorry, I've lost the link to it).

88% of convicted sex criminals claimed to be very religious, and claimed that they read the bible regularly.

Would you believe this statistic to be irefutable proof that christianity is a direct cause for violent sex crimes? Of course you wouldn't; that's absolutley ridiculous. This statistic could never prove such a thing. Why? Because the study is an examination of correlation, not causation. So what if all these violent sex criminals read the bible? There is no examanation of any kind regarding a religious link to their condemable behaviour. The study is baseless and proves nothing. I'm sure you agree with me on this. Well, the studies you presented are based around the exact same logic.

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
Questions in bold 

Questions in bold 

razorphreak wrote:

Malice wrote:

no i have never in my life felt any attraction for women in my life. the same as you have i am guessing never found attraction in a man. but do you see what i mean by it not being a choice?

razorphreak wrote:

Malice wrote:

sorry that didnt make muhc sense to me again it could be the lack of sleep thing , but what do you mean by beyond ego? for a man to ahve sexual feelings for a man wouldnt feel any different to a man have sexaul feelings to a woman. 

Spewn
User is offlineOffline

razorphreak wrote:

Spewn wrote:
Quite convenient that you don't have to, isn't it? You have a handy little book that does all your damning and judging for you, all the while making sure you don't yourself do it.

Dude...what?? You don't even know what you are talking about now...and you've made one very weird and frankly angry assumption that has no merit to me or to what is written in the bible, ESPECIALLY the new testament.

Denial, projection.  I'm angry?  You have a picture of a man being crucified as your avatar.  Don't preach to me about sentiments of anger or hatred, friend.

If what I've said has no merit, then you don't believe it's wrong to be homosexual, you don't believe homosexuals should be or will be tortured(as other sinners are), you don't even believe it's a sin.

If the above paragraph is false, then regardless of how you'd like to see it, you're letting your book do the talking so you get to say you didn't.

Cory T
Theist
Cory T's picture
User is offlineOffline
As a theist, I know I'm not

As a theist, I know I'm not welcome to post in this forum.  However, I can't resist adding a few random thoughts here.

I never thought I'd say this, but I agree with MattShizzle.  He didn't choose to be depressed.  As someone who fights to get out of bed in the morning despite being on medicine to rise above that, a person doesn't choose that situation.  A person does, however, choose how to react to that situation.  I chose to talk to a doctor, to get on the medicine, and to pray over the situation.  One step at a time, one day at a time, things are looking brighter.  Matt seems to have chosen that same path, minus the prayer.  And good for you!

I'm no psychologist, but I sure don't understand mental illness the same way that Razor does.  Sorry, dude: you need to study.  Environmental factors may ultimately determine the mental illness once it manifests, but there are plenty of environmental factors that you can't control.  Therefore, it is not a choice.

Human sexuality is best understood as a spectrum.  At various times in our lives, we deviate along the line toward homosexuality, or toward heterosexuality, eventually settling on one side or the other.  This is the best case scenerio that encompasses both the secular scientific studies and the biblical understanding.  In many cases, heterosexuality as well as homosexuality are choices, albeit unconcious choices made earlier in life and for a variety of factors that we are completely ignorant of. One day we may figure this out.  With what we have now, it isn't fair for either side of the debate to claim victory.

Matt wanted to know if God made him the way he is.  Unfortunately, the answer is yes, and I want to use that to lead into why Razor's theology is skewed.  God is the potter, and we are His clay; He molds us to His purpose for His glory.  Razor, there is a lot of human choice in both your psychological statements and your theological statements.  Don't deny God's sovereignty in any of this.  He has a plan and a purpose for all of this, and it may be cruel and unusual to us but we are just the clay.  The thing molded cannot ask Him that molded "Why did you do this?"  It isn't for us to know yet.  Has not the Potter absolute right over His clay?

Finally, Razor, you're imposing the Bible's moral code on unbelievers.  SHAME ON YOU!  These guys disagree with the very core of your argumentation.  How are you supposed to argue that 2 + 3 = 5 when the person you're debating doesn't believe that "2" exists?  You'll never get to five that way, no matter how hard you try.  The problem is, removing two from this equation leaves you only with "the parts don't fit together" as an argument.

This leaves the Christian with no ground to stand on in a homosexuality debate with non-Christians.  So, what do we do in this scenerio?  We can't debate or fight.  Instead, we must follow the wise words of St. Francis of Assisi:

"Preach the gospel at all times.  When necessary, use words."

That means we should live out our beliefs.  Guess what?  We don't have to support gay marriages.  But that doesn't mean that we should hurl epitaphs at two guys holding hands and walking down the street, either.  Minister to them, and if they're open to the gospel, they will undoubtedly ask about the gay issue on their own since it is very hotly discussed.

Then explain from Scripture why we believe what we do.

You're putting the cart before the horse when you try to argue this before someone expresses an honest interest in this topic from a biblical perspective.  No one here is interested in what the Bible says.  They usually already know and decry it as bloody, nonsensical, or worse!

So now, it's time to live the life God called us to live so that they can see the positive changes He's authoring in your life.  If they want to know how you did it, give your testimony and whip out the Bible.

Can you walk that walk?  It doesn't sound like you're talking the talk, if you're still speaking of human choice in all these matters, so I don't see it.  I hope I'm wrong! 

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. --Galileo Galilei

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cory T wrote: As a theist,

Cory T wrote:
As a theist, I know I'm not welcome to post in this forum. However, I can't resist adding a few random thoughts here.

I never thought I'd say this, but I agree with MattShizzle. He didn't choose to be depressed. As someone who fights to get out of bed in the morning despite being on medicine to rise above that, a person doesn't choose that situation. A person does, however, choose how to react to that situation. I chose to talk to a doctor, to get on the medicine, and to pray over the situation. One step at a time, one day at a time, things are looking brighter. Matt seems to have chosen that same path, minus the prayer. And good for you!

I'm no psychologist, but I sure don't understand mental illness the same way that Razor does. Sorry, dude: you need to study. Environmental factors may ultimately determine the mental illness once it manifests, but there are plenty of environmental factors that you can't control. Therefore, it is not a choice.

Human sexuality is best understood as a spectrum. At various times in our lives, we deviate along the line toward homosexuality, or toward heterosexuality, eventually settling on one side or the other. This is the best case scenerio that encompasses both the secular scientific studies and the biblical understanding. In many cases, heterosexuality as well as homosexuality are choices, albeit unconcious choices made earlier in life and for a variety of factors that we are completely ignorant of. One day we may figure this out. With what we have now, it isn't fair for either side of the debate to claim victory.

Matt wanted to know if God made him the way he is. Unfortunately, the answer is yes, and I want to use that to lead into why Razor's theology is skewed. God is the potter, and we are His clay; He molds us to His purpose for His glory. Razor, there is a lot of human choice in both your psychological statements and your theological statements. Don't deny God's sovereignty in any of this. He has a plan and a purpose for all of this, and it may be cruel and unusual to us but we are just the clay. The thing molded cannot ask Him that molded "Why did you do this?" It isn't for us to know yet. Has not the Potter absolute right over His clay?

Finally, Razor, you're imposing the Bible's moral code on unbelievers. SHAME ON YOU! These guys disagree with the very core of your argumentation. How are you supposed to argue that 2 + 3 = 5 when the person you're debating doesn't believe that "2" exists? You'll never get to five that way, no matter how hard you try. The problem is, removing two from this equation leaves you only with "the parts don't fit together" as an argument.

This leaves the Christian with no ground to stand on in a homosexuality debate with non-Christians. So, what do we do in this scenerio? We can't debate or fight. Instead, we must follow the wise words of St. Francis of Assisi:

"Preach the gospel at all times. When necessary, use words."

That means we should live out our beliefs. Guess what? We don't have to support gay marriages. But that doesn't mean that we should hurl epitaphs at two guys holding hands and walking down the street, either. Minister to them, and if they're open to the gospel, they will undoubtedly ask about the gay issue on their own since it is very hotly discussed.

Then explain from Scripture why we believe what we do.

You're putting the cart before the horse when you try to argue this before someone expresses an honest interest in this topic from a biblical perspective. No one here is interested in what the Bible says. They usually already know and decry it as bloody, nonsensical, or worse!

So now, it's time to live the life God called us to live so that they can see the positive changes He's authoring in your life. If they want to know how you did it, give your testimony and whip out the Bible.

Can you walk that walk? It doesn't sound like you're talking the talk, if you're still speaking of human choice in all these matters, so I don't see it. I hope I'm wrong!

Very good Cory! Though I disagree with the theistic portion of your argument I completely agree with your arguments against Razor and his statements. 

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
man I must have really left

man I must have really left off some kind of unintended impression if even another christian is telling me I'm wrong. 

Cory T wrote:
I never thought I'd say this, but I agree with MattShizzle. He didn't choose to be depressed. As someone who fights to get out of bed in the morning despite being on medicine to rise above that, a person doesn't choose that situation. A person does, however, choose how to react to that situation. I chose to talk to a doctor, to get on the medicine, and to pray over the situation. One step at a time, one day at a time, things are looking brighter. Matt seems to have chosen that same path, minus the prayer. And good for you!

You know what...I don't know Matt and his constant swearing and angry attitude towards theists in general made me say something I shouldn't have.  For that Matt I'm sorry and when I went back to look at what I said...it was wrong and I apologize. 

Cory T wrote:
Razor, there is a lot of human choice in both your psychological statements and your theological statements. Don't deny God's sovereignty in any of this. He has a plan and a purpose for all of this, and it may be cruel and unusual to us but we are just the clay. The thing molded cannot ask Him that molded "Why did you do this?" It isn't for us to know yet. Has not the Potter absolute right over His clay?

Other than where I know I got frustrated, that's what I've been trying to say other than the free will we have over the flesh... 

Cory T wrote:
Finally, Razor, you're imposing the Bible's moral code on unbelievers. SHAME ON YOU! These guys disagree with the very core of your argumentation. How are you supposed to argue that 2 + 3 = 5 when the person you're debating doesn't believe that "2" exists? You'll never get to five that way, no matter how hard you try. The problem is, removing two from this equation leaves you only with "the parts don't fit together" as an argument.

OK no, I'm not and that's where I fear that my own missteps made what I've been trying to say misunderstood.  This thread began as bashing on religion and on Christianity over what the bible states.  I'm not going to push any code on anyone but rather make them aware of what it says; not the black and white part but the in between.  For them to accept it or not is not in my hands but one of the things that is very prevalent here is misstatements concerning the bible message.

MisterDax
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: That's

razorphreak wrote:
That's what I've been saying from the first post.  As far as using "hate", I've been trying to explain why those who do are not following the bible if they are claiming to be Christians...

That is only your interpretation of the Bible. I am sure that there are several parts of the Bible you are not following, but yet you consider yourself a christian. Those christians who consider hate as a christian value are reading and interpreting the same Bible that you are reading and interpreting. As an outsider I don't really care who has the right interpretation, I just care whose interpretation is less harmful to me and others. 

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
MisterDax wrote: That is

MisterDax wrote:
That is only your interpretation of the Bible. I am sure that there are several parts of the Bible you are not following, but yet you consider yourself a christian. Those christians who consider hate as a christian value are reading and interpreting the same Bible that you are reading and interpreting. As an outsider I don't really care who has the right interpretation, I just care whose interpretation is less harmful to me and others.

I'm not perfect and I've never claimed to be.  As my previous post shows, I screw up just the same as every person on this planet when emotion and frustration get the better of you.  I would hope that doesn't make me a bad person...just human.  To be Christian means to understand the message in full not in pieces and when only pieces are used to justify hatred, it's safe to say they are wrong.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: OK no,

razorphreak wrote:

OK no, I'm not and that's where I fear that my own missteps made what I've been trying to say misunderstood.  This thread began as bashing on religion and on Christianity over what the bible states.  I'm not going to push any code on anyone but rather make them aware of what it says; not the black and white part but the in between.  For them to accept it or not is not in my hands but one of the things that is very prevalent here is misstatements concerning the bible message.

There are many people who would think that your Bible 'bashes' them, Razor.  While I agree with Vastet to a certain degree, it is your Bible that creates a lot of hostility towards homosexuals.  Lynette is correct, homosexuality and transgender is considered normal in some cultures.  Your Bible states very clearly how homosexuals should be treated.  It doesn't matter if people interpreted it correctly or not (that's a whole other thread); the fact remains the Bible encourages animosity towards gays.  That view is passed down from generation to generation until it is solidified (just as religion is - think about it, if you're parents were Jewish, you'd more than likely ascribe to that faith).

Therefore, you have a lot of people out there who think gays are evil or bad because that's what the Bible teaches them.  These people vote and when they vote, as Cory admitted himself, they will take into account their religious beliefs.  Obviously a person who believes that homosexuality is a sin is going to vote against gay marriage.  Now you're religious view has affected someone's life who may not necessarily believe what you believe.  And that is not right.  It is not the Christians here who don't have rights, it's the homosexuals and your religion plays a part of that. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

MisterDax wrote:

I'm not perfect and I've never claimed to be.  ...................

To be Christian means to understand the message in full not in pieces and when only pieces are used to justify hatred, it's safe to say they are wrong.

Belief in christ and his acceptance for a christian is to reach a place of forgiveness and the attainment of eternal life that the non-believer does not, will not and cannot ever have.  I'm tired of christians using the "I'm not perfect" escape clause when their own belief system very much implies a state of perfection that excludes the non-believer.

And your belief in and acceptance of christ as real, or truth gives you no clearer understanding of his message than anyone who does not believe (and that's even ignoring for a moment that many here are former christians and have usually studied this "message" far more extensively than most theists who come here).  It's a mistake for you to believe otherwise.  If you have a secret copy of the bible that no one else has access to please share that fact here.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell