Fate of a blastocyst

magilum
User is offlineOffline

ImmaculateDeception
ImmaculateDeception's picture
User is offlineOffline
Great video, magilum. It

Great video, magilum. It goes to show how ignorance of this vital research is causing so much damage. This is further exposed by the following comment that was made on the video.

bettyboopdee2 I think that if a baby dies then you could use the embreo but, if its healthy and the mother just doesnt want to face consoquinces then that is murder! do these people realize that at a few weeks it has a heart beat and feels how is that not human? it has fingers and toes and opens its mouth and feels. i have seen some of the other forms of abortion and it makes me sick so many parents want to adopt why kill an infant bc of their mistakes it was not the baby who made it    A baby is NOT an embryo. This is a baby: This is a human embryo: See a diffrence? Glad we finally cleared that up. Also, having consentual sex is not a "mistake" that should have "consequences". These people need to realize that their sexual repression is a huge problem. They should not be trying to push their psychosis on the rest of us.

Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine

magilum
User is offlineOffline
It's actually less defined

It's actually less defined than that. It's about 150 cells arranged in a sphere. If you've ever raised frogs from eggs, you've seen cell division, and you can imagine what this looks like. As you've said, this isn't a question of abortion. These are embryos that will be discarded. The fundamentalist response seems like some half-baked attempt to modernize the Onan fable. Thanks to science we know the grim prospects of a single sperm, and what a mischaracterization, based on the understandable ignorance of the time, the idea of the precious “seed“ is. We know that even in the course of what Christians consider legitimate gestures of procreation millions of sperm (a “potential life”) will be “wasted” as a matter of course. Again, Christians can't look to the bible to find a description of the world that is: they can only try to reconcile their interpretations of primitive misapprehensions of the world with what the data actually tells us today. There are no sperm or eggs in the bible, not because god wanted to spare us the gory details, but because the men who wrote it, predictably, hadn't the slightest idea how anything worked. They simply insisted on dogmatic ideas that advances in standards of practice in science and logic have rendered laughable. I don't know why the soul at conception concept should be treated any differently.