How much should you express your atheism?

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline
How much should you express your atheism?

Well, in my head, I'm a very strong atheist.  So much as that I blatently denounce every religion.  However, being an atheist in this age (or at least in my society) is kind of looked down on.  However, I can't hide who I am.  So, should I feel pressured to keep my ideals to myself?  Should I "come out" with my atheism to my predominently Christian relatives?  Should it stop there or should I write "atheist" on my forehead for everyone to know?  That's one concern I've had, as I said before, about atheists' negative image.  If a future employer of mine sees that I'm an athiest, could that cost me a job?  I've heard of it happening (not for any other religion, mind you.  Just atheism).  What do you guys think?

AnointedHeathen
User is offlineOffline
I was fired from my last

I was fired from my last job primarily for being an atheist, though they'll never admit that it's the reason. If you're militant about atheism then it's really no better than being a fundamentalist. I'm of the opinion live and let live; however I don't deny in the slightest my lack of belief in any deity. When someone says something like "God bless you" I will usually reply with something like "no thanks, I can find my own blessings". There's nothing wrong with letting your beliefs (or lack thereof) be known as long as you don't try to thrust them upon others. Personally I always take the non-aggressor stance and don't say anything regarding theism/atheism unless it's brought up to me.

Also, if you do choose to let your atheism be known, be prepared for the consequences that are sure to follow. From my experience a lot of people won't even care, however it can vastly limit your opportunities for jobs, finding a significant other, etc. Respect the right of others to believe what they will even if you don't respect the belief, but don't expect others to have the same respect for you.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is a tough question. 

This is a tough question.  In theory, the answer should be, "As much as the fundies express their Christianity."

Of course, there's a catch.  You can't express atheism until someone expresses theism, so it will always seem confrontational.

I've found that the trick is to express atheism with quiet amusement as much as possible, and only get "militant" in public when it is absolutely necessary.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sounds good.  Basically

Sounds good.  Basically don't speak about it unless spoken to, right?  I suppose wearing shirts with athiest slogans would be fine then.  If someone approaches me, I could debate them without seeming confrontational.

JESUS SAVES!!! .... and takes only half damage!

AModestProposal
AModestProposal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheists have been passive

Atheists have been passive for too long. I'm sick of this double standard where theists can only be called extremists if they commit violence for their faith, while Atheists are extremists simply by speaking their minds, calling theists on their BS or writing a book. Where would any minority group be if they remained passive? That's an easy one. They'd be where Atheists are. I think we got to start making some noise.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like the idea of atheist

I like the idea of atheist T-shirts, etc.   It puts theists in a bad position.  If they object, you say, "Oh, I just thought it would be ok.  After all, Christians wear t-shirts about Jesus all the time, and, my gosh, did you see that big billboard on the highway?  "Don't Make Me Come Down There.  --God?"

Then they look like an ass.

If they're brave enough to question you about it, I suggest being dismissive.  You can't win an argument with a theist, you know.  When someone asked me a couple of weeks ago why I don't believe in god, I said, "Because he doesn't exist."

Simple.  To the point.  If they insist on preaching after you've said something like this, you can just nod, say, "uh-huh" every once in a while, and when they're done, you can say something like, "Yeah, I heard all of that when I was a kid, before I'd really thought about it."

I honestly don't like getting into live debates with theists.  When they say, "Well, I just know in my heart,"  I say, "well, that's nice, I guess," and avoid telling them all the things that are fallacious about their beliefs.  

Believe it or not, being dismissed out of hand hurts worse than being beaten in an argument.  Think about it.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Family_Guy
Family_Guy's picture
User is offlineOffline
You would be amazed by the

You would be amazed by the sheer number of Christies working data processing in the IRS.  Then again, it makes sense - most of these people are Desperate Housewives who watch lots of American Idol and talk about how they want to send their kids to Catholic school (My job is about 75% female, average age - 36).

However, it became clear to many of the Christies that I don't say "Bless you" when they sneeze - I use "Gesundheit."  One of them pulled me aside and asked me why = and I responded with "Demons aren't entering my body when I sneeze, so I don't need to be blessed, thanks."

After the Desperate Housewives commune during lunch, they decided to offer to take me to Mass with them so they can 'set me straight'.  I told them I would be ecstatic to go with them as long as they read Atheism:  The Case Against God.

Needless to say, we both know where we stand, and from this little 'confrontation', I got two benefits - people don't say "Bless You" when I sneeze, and the cute girl in my unit came up to me and said "I thought I was the only agnostic in here."

At some point, I'll have to mention that I'm an atheist, not an agnostic, but that's further on down the line. 

So, my advice - be direct, but friendly.  If the pigs try to get at you, drop it like it's hot. Eye-wink 

"Like Fingerpainting 101, gimme no credit for having class; one thumb on the pulse of the nation, one thumb in your girlfriend's ass; written on, written off, some calling me a joke, I don't think that I'm a sellout but I do enjoy Coke."

-BHG

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I should clarify

Yeah, I should clarify something.  My comments above are in relation to people insistent on preaching to me.  If someone leaves my atheism alone, I'm perfectly content to talk about sports or girls or something.  If they ask something politely, I answer as politely as possible while making it clear that I'm not interested in talking about it.  If, and only if, they keep talking, I pull out the dismissive approach.

Books about atheism

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The way I see it, this is a

The way I see it, this is a judgement call for everyone to make for themselves. Are you willing to deal with the consequences of not standing up? Are you willing to deal with the consequences of standing up? If being an atheist costs you a date, are you willing to date such a person in the first place? If being an atheist can cost you a job, are you willing to work there in the first place? It basically boils down to your own tolerance level. Mine is rather low at this point, so I stand up a lot.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

ShaunPhilly
High Level ModeratorSilver Member
ShaunPhilly's picture
User is offlineOffline
At work, I don't wear

At work, I don't wear atheist T-shirts; mostly because I dress nicer than T-shirts at work.  pretty much everyone at work knows I'm an atheist.  (There was that girl who thought I was a Scientologist for a while, but that's a separate story that I'm amused by).  I wear atheist shirts at least twice a week.  I'll talk to anyone, anywhere, about my views on religion if they want to talk about it.  My family knows, unless I don't really talk to them and they aren't interested enough to know anything about me. 

I'm very open about who I am, what I believe (and don't believe), and I always try to keep calm and direct in talking to anyone. 

I find that most people I know simply don't care.  Those who do tend to not talk to me about it.  I'm lucky not to work with any evangelical people, however. 

Shaun 

I'll fight for a person's right to speak so long as that person will, in return, fight to allow me to challenge their opinions and ridicule them as the content of their ideas merit.

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Usually I don't bring it up

Usually I don't bring it up unless a theist brings it up first, however I do wear a button on my backpack that says "Atheist" with another one right next to it that says "9-11 was a faith based initiative". It's a little nerve wracking considering I go to a christian private college right next to Jerry Falwell's "university".

Angelic_Atheist
Angelic_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Right now Im still in the

Right now Im still in the t-shirt phase, and being super nice to the people that are taken a back.

Today there was a cahier who always says "have a blessed day" Today he didnt...lol 

In my town many, maybe most people think atheists are some kind of evil devil worshipers. 

Good luck to you 

We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
~ Richard Dawkins

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
If someone says "Have a

If someone says "Have a blessed day" you can always answer, "No thanks. I have other plans."

ImmaculateDeception
ImmaculateDeception's picture
User is offlineOffline
  I'm very open about my

I'm very open about my atheism.  This partly comes from having kind of a big mouth.  I don't hesitate to state my opinion on the topic of religion whenever it's brought up around me.  As far as I'm concerned, my years of sitting in uncomfortable silence in a room full of people discussing their spiritual beliefs are over.  Now, I always try to interject with "So, you really believe that, huh?  Ok, here's what's wrong with that."

On the other hand, I'd never expect another atheist to do the same.  I'm that way because of who I am.  I'm the same way on just about anything.  Keep you ayheism to your self is not something I'd ever look down upon. 

Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine

AModestProposal
AModestProposal's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd answer the cashier with,

I'd answer the cashier with, "Thanks. Have a rational day."