Jesus camp....

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jesus camp....

Sorry if someone has already started a thread on this, if you point me too it.

Has anyone watched the movie "Jesus Camp"? It literally gave me goosebumps. What that woman is doing to the kids is beyond sick. These people are indoctrinating their kids to be the next generation of suicide bombers for jesus...

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
There's actually been a few.

There's actually been a few. Yeah, it's sick and it's been shut down, thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster!

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is on my Netflix

This is on my Netflix queue.  A friend watched and said it's totally twisted. 

I had read an article along the same vein about these people.  They were a community of people who home schooled their children and they were prepping their kids to become lawyers and politicians so they could take over the judicial system.  I wish I could remember where I read it from.  It was disturbing.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've been trying to get my

I've been trying to get my hands on it for a while, no luck so far unfortunately. Sad

FundamentallyFlawed
FundamentallyFlawed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes... there's been a few

Yes... there's been a few threads on Jesus Camp already, but that's ok.  I never get tired of talking about it.

I saw it in the theaters twice, and I plan to purchase the DVD as soon as possible.  I think it should be mandatory viewing for all Americans.

As Matt pointed out, the "Kids on Fire" camp has been shut down, but that really isn't the issue.  The movie provides a chilling picture of the American Evangelical mindset.  Children are fed a steady diet of religious fervor, patriotism, and misinformation.  It is exactly the same sort of programming going on in Muslim nations.

One thing really scared me about the movie... what I saw had a chilling resemblence to what was going on in Germany in the 1930's.

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've seen it and honestly

I've seen it and honestly had trouble watching it, in its entirety.  I was extremely difficult to handle.  I recently watched that clip of Bill Maher talking about it, and I was very pleased when he showed the clip of the movie where the Child says he was saved by Jesus when he was 5!, he said he was saved because he was looking for more in life.  THE KID WAS 5!  I was looking for more batman figures to poon with.  Like come on.  But yeah a very eye-opening film, I agree that not just every American, but every person able to, should watch this film; changes clearly need to be made.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
I saw it...very disturbing

I saw it...very disturbing and sad.  I also read some reviews on it and other xian groups spoke out against it stating that it does not represent the majority of xians and their beliefs.  There is a wiki article if you want to read it (comes with a warning that it may ruin the plot for you...you can probably already guess the plot) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Camp

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Are there any statistics on

Are there any statistics on how many kids go through these insane hate training camps?

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Being a history major, this

Being a history major, this reminds me of a Jesuit saying from the 1500-1600's "Give me the boy for his first seven years and I'll give you the man...." It's the exact same thing, catch them when their young and must accept everything adults say as truth. I'm glad to know that the camp has been shut down, but it still won't make sleeping at night any easier...

Cory T
Theist
Cory T's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hadn't seen the movie;

I hadn't seen the movie; the preview was disturbing enough!

The "pastor" in charge is known for Kingdom Now Theology, a very militant mindset that is far on the fringe of orthodox Christianity.  Kingdom Now basically teaches that our actions can influence the coming end times--make them come sooner or later.

As I've stated repeatedly: Stuff like this is only under the purview of God, and in this case the Father only (Mat 24:36).  It is His sovereign decision when the end times will occur and we have nothing to do with that. 

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. --Galileo Galilei

DewiMorgan
DewiMorgan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Surely, though, while we

Surely, though, while we may have no direct influence, our actions might influence it indirectly?

Say I have a bag of weasels. And I eat weasels. I will only eat them if: I get home; they start to chew through the bag; they make an annoying noise; if the bag gets too heavy for me.

Now, when I picked them up, i said "I'm gonna eat you guys!" and since at some point I should return home, that is guaranteed: but some of their actions can make it happen sooner. By delaying my return home without getting eaten, they could delay it.

So, indirectly, they could have some effect, even if they didn't know the logic of my planning, so couldn't tell what actions would have what effect. 

Now, if I told 'em "and shut up or I'll eat you now!" then they would be able to squeak, and eventually it would get too annoying for me and I'd eat 'em.

It'd still be my decision, and only my decision, and they would have no control over when I ate them: but they could influence my decision.

I don't know why I picked eating weasels. Sorry, it was a weird semile. It's 7am and I've not slept. 

T="theists who's posts are fun-to-read, truth-seeking and insightful". Your own T will be different, but Tdewi includes { Avecrien, Cory T, crocaduck, JHenson, jread, wavefreak }