Pope Says Catholics Should Have More Children

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pope Says Catholics Should Have More Children

I assume everyone saw the news accounts of the pope telling folks to have more children.

http://www.cathnews.com/news/509/3.php

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20070324/vatican-pope-europe
Benedict expressed concern that Europe's population trends, "besides putting economic growth at risk, can also cause enormous difficulties for social cohesion, and, above all, favor dangerous individualism, careless about the consequences for the future."

Ack!

"Dangerous individualism" because folks aren't having babies they can't afford or don't want?  People are supposed to have babies and raise children because the church wants them to?  Until the day comes when no child is hungry and all children are clothed and educated, that's an irresponsible position.

Of course, it's more likely that the pope just wants more catholics.

Laker-taker
Laker-taker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Indeed. "Social cohesion"

Indeed. "Social cohesion" *cough*universalagreementwithpope*cough* is MUCH more important than global overpopulation.

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
Reminds me of that Monty

Reminds me of that Monty Python movie, The Meaning of Life. Had a catchy tune.

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
The priests are running out

The priests are running out of boys to bugger.

Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
MrRage wrote: Reminds me of

MrRage wrote:
Reminds me of that Monty Python movie, The Meaning of Life. Had a catchy tune.
Every sperm is sacred

GreyhoundMama
GreyhoundMama's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sigh, just what the planet

Sigh, just what the planet needs. Another population boom.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
I always fully supported

I always fully supported the Catholic policy of celibate dioceses because eventually it means that they will run out of dioceses, which is fantastic.

The Pope is encouraging more people to have children? A man who has declared a vow of celibacy?

Shouldn't let others do the dirty work, I think. 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That's one thing that keeps

That's one thing that keeps religion active. The religious tend to have more kids. Atheists tend to have none or small families.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

econgineer
econgineer's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, the Catholics are

Well, the Catholics are losing market share to the Mormons and other denominations.  And since Catholicism as a faith is a particularly hard sell, they must start a more aggressive grow-your-own campaign.  Besides, people don't need much encouragement to fornicate. 

Responsibility: A detachable burden easily shifted to the shoulders of God, Fate, Fortune, Luck or one's neighbor. In the days of astrology it was customary to unload it upon a star. ~Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary, 1911

Iphtashu Fitz
Iphtashu Fitz's picture
User is offlineOffline
GreyhoundMama wrote: Sigh,

GreyhoundMama wrote:
Sigh, just what the planet needs. Another population boom.

I personally believe that the human population is critically overpopulated and that the planet has been trying desperately to thin it out for a long time. In nature (read 'all species other than humans&#39Eye-wink there are a number of ways populations are kept in check:

• Disease is a common form of population control. If a species becomes overpopulated it is not uncommon for a disease to thin it out. The weaker members of the population die, leaving the stronger ones to continue the species.
  • Starvation is another common form of population control. If a species becomes overpopulated then the food supply may not be able to support it any more, so again the weaker members end up dying of starvation.
  • A large number of animal species have exhibited homosexual behavior in the wild. Although still under debate, one theory for this behavior is to help keep population growth in check.

Humans, unlike all other species, have managed to overcome all these natural population controls to a certian extent. Less than 100 years ago the flu was a deadly virus. In 1918 the Spanish Flu killed an estimated 50 to 100 milliion people. Throughout the last century smallpox killed an estimated 300 to 500 million. Now the flu is much more of a nusiance than a killer, and smallpox has been entirely eradicated. Famine is much less of a problem now than it was even a few decades ago. True, there are still plenty of places where lack of food is an issue, but thanks to modern farming techniques, the ability to ship food worldwide, etc. we're able to feed many who would have otherwise died of starvation. Even homosexuality hasn't effectively stopped the human population from growing. Thanks to modern scientific techniques, "test tube babies" aren't all that uncommon, and it sounds like scientists are getting very close to being able to clone humans as well.

"Mother nature" does seem to be trying to fight back against the growing human population in all the ways it knows how. Since we've been able to effectively combat once-deadly diseases like the flu new ones like HIV/AIDS have appeared that we've yet to cure. Small outbreaks of disease like Ebola and Marburg, which kill quickly and have mortality rates of 90% are of great concern to world health organizations. Thankfully those diseases mostly only spread through direct physical contact and "burn out" very quickly, but if it were to mutate into a form that made transmission easier it could have dire consequences. The same goes for the HN51 "avian" flu - currently no cure, and just a mutation away from wiping out large human populations.

I think the planet is trying to tell us something.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh this is great!  Yes,

Oh this is great!  Yes, have more babies...that fixes everything.  Like when a couple is having marital problems and they are counseled to have a baby.  Works everytime.  Foolproof. 

Thank goodness the Vatican is addressing this crucial issue. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That's true. How fucking

That's true. How fucking stupid is it to council a couple having marital problems to have a baby? If anything that'll make things worse! It is true most European countries either aren't growing or are losing population.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually, what's concerning

Actually, what's concerning is that evolution is favoring the idiots these days. If you live in some third world hell hole with corrupt thugs for government, a head full of benighted, prehistorical superstitions and not a pot to piss in, you probably have 19 kids. If you're an atheist or even a moderate theist and live in an industrialized democracy you probably have one or two. Over time, the numbers will tell.

Then there's immigration. Here in Canada, our population growth is pretty much solely due to people we let in from precisely the aforementioned benighted hell holes. We take it on faith that they will embrace our ways when they get here, but the numbers game, again, guarantees that those who don't will soon outpopulate those who do. We stack the deck in favor of our way of life a bit by requiring the original immigrant to be educated and/or have money. But there's no such control on their extended families which they can bring over once they are landed. Since assimilation is downright discouraged, I wonder sometimes if we aren't guaranteeing that our institutions will start to trend toward the theocratic.

This looks like a job for the RRS! Get out there and start exhorting atheists to make babies! It's too late for me...had my two and got the snip last month. But lots of you are young and wasting time. Get on it! You owe it to the future! 

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

FundamentallyFlawed
FundamentallyFlawed's picture
User is offlineOffline
I remember during the major

I remember during the major Ethiopian famine of the 1980's, the church was actually telling the Ethiopians NOT to use the birth control relief workers were providing.

Looking back, I think that was one of the defining moments in my distrust of religious institutions.

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Some excellent points made

Some excellent points made here. I read an article in free Inquiry about the secularism taking place in Europe. The Muslim population is expanding and their next generation are not so eager to assimulate into secularist European society.

I think this may be part of the pope's strategy, to intice Christians to populate in order to outnumber the young Islamists coming into Europe. To say this out loud of course, would be called racist.

Ironically, christian fundamentalists, especially in this country, discourage the use of condoms and birth control in third world countries and the Bush administration has cut funding to these projects.

Bush's war on women

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hard to find two things

Hard to find two things that piss me off more than reckless reproduction and Papal stupidity.

Rambo-Kitty is not amused.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Before bringing more

Before bringing more children into the world, it is my opinion that these people should take care of the ones that are already here.

Until no child goes hungry or naked or uneducated, telling people to procreate for god and country is irresponsible.

The pope should be telling these folks to adopt.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Of course,

Susan wrote:
Of course, it's more likely that the pope just wants more catholics.

Bingo. Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Before bringing

Quote:

Before bringing more children into the world, it is my opinion that these people should take care of the ones that are already here.

Until no child goes hungry or naked or uneducated, telling people to procreate for god and country is irresponsible.

The pope should be telling these folks to adopt.

Rambo-Kitty is grumpy.

I'm not going to give any respect to the high-and mighty League-of-Conservative-Barefoot-and-Pregnant-Women-For-Repressive-Abortion-Laws until each and every one of those posers goes down to their local adoption agency and takes home two little non-white babies of their own.

An ex-gf of mine worked for the state, carting around foster kids to meet with the parents who never wanted them in the first place. I've seen this over and over. You know what the harsh reality is? The adoption agencies are full because the people who have money to adopt (insert: White Upper Middle Class) want one of two things. Ninety percent want a cute little white baby. The other ten percent want a little Asian baby (cause they're really good at math... everybody knows it). The problem? Ninety percent of the babies put up for adoption are black. Half of those are not exactly "put up" for adoption. They're taken by the state.

(Don't anybody shoot me for my numbers. I'm ball-parking it because this topic pisses me off and I don't feel like wasting my afternoon looking up the exact stats.)

Know where the majority of criminals come from? Poverty. Poverty breeds ignorance, and ignorance breeds breeding, and then the cycle speeds up. But these stuck up Rethuglican housewives with their happy little Friday afternoon Bible Study group and their 1.7 babies each and their Ford Excessives, and their "God-Fearing, Strong Household Head Husbands" who screw their secretaries every other friday at the local Motel-6 because their wives haven't been interested in sex since the second child was born.... (inhale) ... these stuck up prudes, want to tell all the poor, undereducated girls who just might have a chance to have a good life if they can stay in school long enough to get some kind of tech degree, or possibly work their way through college, that the only thing they can do to make the Sky-Daddy happy is to have their baby-daddy's baby, and then raise it on their own when baby-daddy skips town.

Screw them.

(End Rant)

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
*applause for

*applause for Hambydammit*

Nice rant! 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rambo-kitty is grumpy and

Rambo-kitty is grumpy and justifiably so.

Excellent post, Hamby.