Bill Maher Talks Jesus Camp - Owns Woman

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bill Maher Talks Jesus Camp - Owns Woman

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was actually a bit torn

I was actually a bit torn watching that.  Yes, he points out the xtian woman's condescension and allows her to hang herself, and that's the kind of thing that needs to be exposed.

However, at the end of the segment, the "moderate" gets his final plug that if we just let the majority of believers have their way, there won't be any more fanaticism.  This is, of course, exactly bass-ackwards.  The belief of the majority of moderates is the thing that gives power to fanatics.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

AModestProposal
AModestProposal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good point. But all in all,

Good point. But all in all, that's about the best televised discussion of religion I've ever seen. Kudos to Maher. These discussions should be happening all the time on TV.

Vanguard
Vanguard's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is there really some sort of

Is there really some sort of friendship between O'reilly and Maher? I find that completely and logically impossible.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."
- Gene Roddenberry

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Great video.  I almost

Great video.  I almost wish I had HBO just to watch Maher.  My favorite part:

Bill Maher:  (To christian woman) "The problem with religion is there is no room for debate.  You think I'm inferior to you".

christian woman:  (Fox party platform masquerading as news) "No I don't. That's not true".

Bill Maher:  I am not a christian. You think you have a truth that I don't see.  You think I'm lost".

christian woman:  "Well, yes".

Bill Maher:  "Now follow that to it's logical conclusion and you have to see me as inferior".

christian woman: (desperately trying to deny).  "No, you're just where I was once, that's all".

Bill Maher:  "Now see, that's condesenscion".

I see this happening frequently in christian debates.  The christian ideology demands a division between the believer and unbeliever, with the believer clearly taking the superior role at the expense of the non-believer, leading to violence, lack of empathy, etc.  When this is pointed out to the christian they consistently try to deny or sugar coat this fact w/ crap analogies, flowery platitudes or lessons of jesus' forgiveness. 

My favorite flowery phrase:  "christians aren't perfect just forgiven".  Now just pretend that no one is is superior and no one is inferior with that ideology.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell