The Scarlett A

AModestProposal
AModestProposal's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Scarlett A

In another topic, someone commented on how Atheists deny Jesus was the messiah, and it made me think about how this claim is equally denied by Jews and Muslims alike, and while few criticize the Jews and Muslims for this, when Atheists deny it, it's all of a sudden a bigotted attack on Theism or Christianity.

Another double standard is that Theists actually have to commit violence to be regarded as extremists, and yet if an Atheist simply starts a discussion or writes a book, that is enough to be called an extremist.

So I was wondering if people could think of other ways in which our society promotes the double standard against the big scarlett A.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree, also I would add

I agree, also I would add that many(not all) theists like to use science when it supports their claim but deny science that contradicts the dogma.

Another double standard!!

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
How about the double

How about the double standard of telling you what a great xian they are and then using all sorts of profanity against Atheists?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Very good one Susan,

Very good one Susan, especially when they mix threats in there too!

FundamentallyFlawed
FundamentallyFlawed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now that I think about

Now that I think about it...

There are some members of my family that are quite racist.  Whenever we get together, they constantly find excuses to say anything negative about non-white people.  (I bet you didn't know that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was directly responsible for black teenage boys grabbing their croches in public, did you?)... I realized long ago that it is pointless to argue on these matters.

If the subject of religion ever comes up, I sometimes politely express my feelings about organized religion... at which point my racist family members accuse me of being negative and mean-spirited.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: How about the

Susan wrote:

How about the double standard of telling you what a great xian they are and then using all sorts of profanity against Atheists?

This one is my personal favorite. You don't even have to proclaim yourself an atheist to earn the rancor of the religious right!! (See funny christian story for my experience).

I also happen to find it ironic that when a non-theistic person speaks out, we're told to 'keep our opinions to ourselves'. In the meantime, I get to drive through a neighboring town and stare at the billboard that says 'abortion stops a beating heart' and has a picture of a nun cradling a baby. Now THAT'S definitely keeping your opinion to yourself.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Dylan
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Yes. Theists like those

Yes. Theists like those make me reasonably mad too. Apparently they haven't read the verse:

Mat 7:5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I didn't know that stood for

I didn't know that stood for atheist. Guess I should watch that movie after all. > >

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dylan wrote: Yes. Theists

Dylan wrote:

Yes. Theists like those make me reasonably mad too. Apparently they haven't read the verse:

Mat 7:5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Hypocracy is not limited to theists though.  In fact it's anything but limited at all.  I am yet to find a walk of life that is not ripe with hypocracy.   Sadly it is almost as though it is one of the greatest pre-requisites for being a human being. 

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/