I wasn't in a good mood for the bible banger that just knocked on my door.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wasn't in a good mood for the bible banger that just knocked on my door.

I was just explaining to our Spanish friend why some of us feel so besieged in this country, when a fourteen-year-old kid knocked on my door with a picture of a bloody Jesus.  I was not in the best of moods.

"No...no...NO...NO!," I said.  "Religion needs to be got rid of.  It's destroying this whole world."

The kid looked at me like I had sprouted horns.   

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Probably there's a better

Probably there's a better way to handle this, but the kid caught me already fuming over religion.

Usually, I just say, "No, thank you" and send the person away.

Has anyone tried passing out atheist tracts? :D 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
No. I remember a few months

No.

I remember a few months ago, some Jehova's Witness knocked on my door and showed me a picture of a family having a picnic and he asked me, "would you like to see your family like that?"

Me: No. (Closes door) 

Spewn
User is offlineOffline
I've honestly never had to

I've honestly never had to deal with this.  I'm glad Laughing out loud

Yiab
User is offlineOffline
I've only had a Jehova's

I've only had a Jehova's witness come to the door once and I scared her off by asking about her theology. I'm actually disappointed that I don't see more prosyletizers door-knocking for me to interrogate.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yiab wrote: I've only had a

Yiab wrote:
I've only had a Jehova's witness come to the door once and I scared her off by asking about her theology. I'm actually disappointed that I don't see more prosyletizers door-knocking for me to interrogate.

Too bad I couldn't have you pop over when I get mine. Smiling  You'd have a blast. 

suttsteve
User is offlineOffline
As soon as they manage to

As soon as they manage to stop talking, which sometimes takes up to ten minutes, I just tell them I'm not interested and they usually go away.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I still like the idea of

I still like the idea of answering the door naked or dressed as the devil.

Fiend
Fiend's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: I still

MattShizzle wrote:
I still like the idea of answering the door naked or dressed as the devil.

Just hold a kitchen knife, breath rapidly and have an annoying sinister laughter that bursts out a little bit every time they say "utopia" or "heaven everlasting".

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've wanted to breathe like

I've wanted to breathe like Vader, declare my allegiance to the dark side of the force, and start spouting Sith philosophy. But they have never knocked on the door when I'm home. Sad

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
They don't come around my

They don't come around my house since I posted a sign that says:

No Soliciting
of
Products,
Services,
or
Deities

Thank you.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: I

Iruka Naminori wrote:

I was just explaining to our Spanish friend why some of us feel so besieged in this country, when a fourteen-year-old kid knocked on my door with a picture of a bloody Jesus. I was not in the best of moods.

"No...no...NO...NO!," I said. "Religion needs to be got rid of. It's destroying this whole world."

Okay, this is kind of funny.  But just so you know, Christians feel besieged in this country to.  I think we are all feeling that.  I think we need to fire all the politicians (R's and D's, maybe keep the Independents) and start over with new elections.  It seems like none of them can focus on any one thing (at least, nothing important).  It's like watching a bunch of seventh grade girls in a fight. 

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Okay, this is kind of

Okay, this is kind of funny.  But just so you know, Christians feel besieged in this country to.

Oh please. http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/the_rational_response_squad_radio_show/general_conversation_introductions_and_humor/5195

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote:

sugarfree wrote:
Iruka Naminori wrote:

I was just explaining to our Spanish friend why some of us feel so besieged in this country, when a fourteen-year-old kid knocked on my door with a picture of a bloody Jesus. I was not in the best of moods.

"No...no...NO...NO!," I said. "Religion needs to be got rid of. It's destroying this whole world."

Okay, this is kind of funny. But just so you know, Christians feel besieged in this country to. I think we are all feeling that. I think we need to fire all the politicians (R's and D's, maybe keep the Independents) and start over with new elections. It seems like none of them can focus on any one thing (at least, nothing important). It's like watching a bunch of seventh grade girls in a fight.

We don't have any power in this country. Dems and Pubs are bought and paid for by corporations. And I have a sneaking suspicion that elections are also bought and paid for.

I have to take exception with your idea that Christians are besieged. Check out this link: Life in Our Anti-Christian America

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: Okay, this

sugarfree wrote:
Okay, this is kind of funny. But just so you know, Christians feel besieged in this country to. I think we are all feeling that. I think we need to fire all the politicians (R's and D's, maybe keep the Independents) and start over with new elections. It seems like none of them can focus on any one thing (at least, nothing important). It's like watching a bunch of seventh grade girls in a fight.

Yeah, but you don't see Atheists out knocking on the doors of complete strangers and trying to convert them. Atheists don't bang on your door on Saturday morning and wake you up. Atheists don't try to scare you into believing their way by threatening you will eternal damnation. Atheists don't leave Atheist literature under your windshield wiper.

Etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.......

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Atheists don't leave

"Atheists don't leave Atheist literature under your windshield wiper."

You know, that's not a bad idea.Wink

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
rab wrote: "Atheists don't

rab wrote:

"Atheists don't leave Atheist literature under your windshield wiper."

You know, that's not a bad idea.Wink

I have been so tempted as of late... just a little leaflet about Bible contradictions...

-Triften 

Angelic_Atheist
Angelic_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
umm, dont hurt me... once

umm, dont hurt me...

once on a hot sunday morning, when everyone was at church and had their car windows cracked....

I dropped (in the back seat if possible) a bunch of little cards with a question and a couple atheist links....

(runs and hides)

We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
~ Richard Dawkins

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
The reason I don't want to

The reason I don't want to go door to door or put leaflets under windshield wipers is those things annoy me.  For me it's standard policy to not patronize whatever is advertised under my windshield wiper.  At the same time I have been tempted to put FFRF leaflets under certain windshield wipers.  Because of my hatred of that particular little ploy, I don't do it.

Maybe we can think of ways to engage theists that are less annoying and more productive.  The Blasphemy Challenge worked well.  The only reason it seems "in your face" is because it's very rare for anyone to challenge religious beliefs.  It created a ton of publicity for this site and didn't disturb people's privacy.

I think that's what the issue is for me.  A telemarketer, a JW, some asshole with leaflets to stick under windshield wipers: these all somehow violate a person's sense of privacy.  I'd rather not use such methods. 

GreyhoundMama
GreyhoundMama's picture
User is offlineOffline
dog

Many years ago, when I was still married, my ex had a wonderful time with JWs who came to the door. He had graduated with a philosophy degree, and although his family was quite Lutheran, he was a skeptic, and like to debate with them. I didn't. One day, when he was out, they stopped by. I brought my borzoi to the door with me, being all alone out in the country. (note ~ a borzoi is also known as a Russian wolfhound, and is the dog in my little picture). The people asked me if they could ask me three questions. I hesitantly said yes. When they got to about the 5th question I was getting fed up. The coolest thing is that my borzoi apparently sensed that I was getting upset/angry, and she started growling at them. This dog had NEVER growled at anyone before!!! They very quickly left!!! And I praised her well for protecting me. I was never more proud of her.

Karen and her hounds
creating art ~ creating a new life

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Even dogs can only stand

Even dogs can only stand them for so long. Eye-wink

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was visiting my mom and

I was visiting my mom and JWs came to the door.  My mother grabbed my arm and pulled me down behind the couch!  I couldn't stop giggling and my mom was whispering 'shut up, or they'll hear you and then I'll have to talk to them'.  It was quite funny.

I also had a friend who response to the question 'Are you ready to have god in your life?' was

'No, I already have Satan in my life and I think he'd be mad.'

If god takes life he's an indian giver

serotonin_wraith
serotonin_wraith's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you don't want them to

If you don't want them to call, you can tell them not to, and by law they have to write your address down and not call on you again (they'll mark you down on their records as a DNC - Do Not Call). They may try their luck a few years later, but for the most part you won't have anywhere near as many calls.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
As for Jehovah's Witnesses,

As for Jehovah's Witnesses, you can tell them you are "disfellowshipped" (which means you used to be a JW and are no longer).

They are required to shun you.

A little lie for the greater good.  Laughing

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: As for

Susan wrote:

As for Jehovah's Witnesses, you can tell them you are "disfellowshipped" (which means you used to be a JW and are no longer).

They are required to shun you.

A little lie for the greater good. Laughing

That's a good idea. Smiling 

serotonin_wraith
User is offlineOffline
I'm wary about this

I'm wary about this approach- the shunning is to make you realise you've lost friends, and their hope it to get you back that way, but without the rebelliousness that was disruptive to the rest of the congregation in the first place. JWs will go to the place of worship in their catchment area, and the catchment area is where they preach too, so there could be questions of which place you went to before. If it works, sure, say you're disfellowshipped, but there could be more questions if they think they hooked you once.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
serotonin_wraith wrote: I'm

serotonin_wraith wrote:
I'm wary about this approach- the shunning is to make you realise you've lost friends, and their hope it to get you back that way, but without the rebelliousness that was disruptive to the rest of the congregation in the first place. JWs will go to the place of worship in their catchment area, and the catchment area is where they preach too, so there could be questions of which place you went to before. If it works, sure, say you're disfellowshipped, but there could be more questions if they think they hooked you once.

I really can't see it because they are not allowed to speak or have anything to do with someone who has been "disfellowshipped".  Hence, they cannot ask the person questions and try to re-convert them.

I worked with a gentleman who was brought up JW and ultimately left the church.  His mother would not go into his home. (His father was not JW)  His mother would not speak to him.

When his father fell ill, my friend moved across the country to help care for his father.  I never did hear how that turned out, but I'll bet it was pretty strained and awkward. 

serotonin_wraith
User is offlineOffline
You may be right about

You may be right about questioning the person. Alot of the time it depends on the individual and what their conscience tells them. I've known of people  who would still talk to their disfellowshipped family members, and there's the risk then you will be asked if they can talk to someone else who lives at the home with you, or they may leave literature in your mailbox or through your door. As I said, if it works, cool, I just wanted to show the other side of what could happen. It may be easier to just be blunt and say 'look, don't call again'.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:
...when a fourteen-year-old kid knocked on my door with a picture of a bloody Jesus.

You should have said, "Ahhhhh, Ahhhhhh, Apostate!! He said no graven images! Ahhhhh!".

Then proceeded to shut the door. 

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm surprised at a lot of

I'm surprised at a lot of the answers here.  I've never had anyone come to my door peddling their religion.  If they did I would be more than happy to invite them in and have a discusion about it.  I'm sure after it happened a few times though I might start to get annoyed with it.

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree, I invite

I agree, I invite conversations like that quite often. But it would also be very funny to do some of the things suggested here from time to time. If they come during dinner that might be another story, I think I would just slam the door and go back to eating.

momentimori
User is offlineOffline
I recall John Safran went

I recall John Safran went around door konocking for atheism in Salt Lake City in John Safran versus God; it was absolutely hilarious

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Years ago, my

Years ago, my ex-father-in-law answered the door to a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses.   He happily invited them in to discuss their message.

He was quite the chatter and discusser.

They were pleased because doors are usually slamed in their faces.  The probably thought, "Oh boy!  We have the posibility of a convert here!" 

He apparently pounded them with questions (and no doubt quite a bit of sermonizing) for quite awhile.  Eventually, they started making noises that they had to leave.

He ignored their protestations and continued to pound them with questions until they fled and never came back.

I think he was actually disappointed that they left.