Religion just makes my families problems worse.

buster
buster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religion just makes my families problems worse.

This topic is stemming from another topic I posted about a week ago about my father who is convinced that the founding fathers of the United States were all Christian.   I thought I should start a new topic since what I'm going to post here is quite a bit deeper and more personal than the other topic.  

Susan wrote:

Hi Buster,

I give you a lot of credit for not being angry (or at least not sounding angry). Obviously your dad has positive qualities that you admire or you wouldn't even bother with the debate.

I did notice that you mentioned "he's just been totally sucked in by the whole "being a christian" thing a few years back." If this is a somewhat new thing to him, that might explain his enthusiasm. Perhaps he might mellow with time? It might also mean it's possible for him to change his thinking if provided with the right arguments.

I wish you luck.

First of all, thanks again to everyone for the links and suggestions.  

I don't think my father's zeal will mellow with time... He's almost 60 now.  I think if anything, he will only become more dogmatic if nothing is done to counter the direction he is going.... It has contributed to destroying his marriage.  Although my mother and father are still together, I know my mother wants a divorce or separation as soon as my youngest sister (who's 15) goes to college.  

I don't know if providing my father with good rational arguments will have any effect...  All I can do is try. 

I feel a little weird giving details about problems going on in my family on here...  But on the other hand, I don't think it could hurt, and also religion is part of the root of the problem... so it is relevant to.  Maybe some of the people with psychology degrees could throw in their two cents and give me their take on the situation.

Anyhow...

A little background.  My mother's mother is devout Roman Catholic.  My mother's father was alcoholic and abusive.  He was also injured very badly in the 1960s when the dynomite factory he worked at blew up.  A piece of shrapnel hit him in the head and damaged his frontal lobe.  He lived but his personality was very different in the following years.  He has handicapped mentally and physically, yet not so bad that he had to be put in a nursing home, so he stayed home.  But his personality changed, and his alcoholism got worse.  Yet no matter how abusive and horrable he was, grandma stayed with him all those years until he passed away in 2001.  We all attributed her strength it to her faith in Jesus.   My mother has a brother and sister, both of them are younger.  My mom was devoutly Catholic also, as long as I have known...  Until I revealed to her that I was atheist recently.  We've been talking about it... And recent experiences in her life along with her starting to use reasoning have softened her position a lot.

My father's mother came from a syrian family of 9 kids.  The father of her family was abusive, probably alcoholic too.  And she was very egocentric, abusive, and manipulative.  Sweet if you were on her good side, but rotten to the core if you weren't.   My father's father seems like the nicest old man you could ever meet, and he's Polish.  He's somewhat of an authoritarian.  However, my father tells me that his father didn't speak to him until he was 15 years old.  Mixed marriages were looked down on by everyone back in those days.  So all of my fathers Syrian uncles (on his mother's side) looked down on my dad because he was a half breed.  The uncles were also a pretty bad bunch.  They had their own little mafia going in our town.  So you could see how a teenage boy might look up to these guys who got whatever they wanted.

My father had an older brother who died of leukemia when he (the brother) was around 16.  My father would have been about 12 at the time.  My fathers family were some branch of orthodox christian until their son died.  After that, I think they stopped attending church except for the holidays.

Everyone who remembers him describes this older brother as saintlike or perfect....  And he got all the attention.  My father was the black sheep, a just the typical crazy kid who always got into trouble.  But he took the blame for everything.  After the older brother died I can only imagine it got worse.  My father also told me once that a few weeks before his brother died, they got into a fight, and it ended with him saying "I wish you were dead" to his brother. 

Also he had some bad experiences with priests when he was a kid.  He was kicked out of confession by the priest when he confessed that it was him who hit the baseball through the church window.  Also he told me of the time that a priest offered to drive him home from a baseball game.  My father fell asleep in the passenger seat while they were driving, and he woke up when he found that the priest had his hand down my fathers pants.  I think he was about 14 at the time.

So you can see that my father has some serious issues.  He was kind of a hellraiser.   After all that, my impression of his religious ideas as I was growing up was not that he didn't believe in God and the bible, but that he had his own ideas.  That it just wasn't for him.  Mom would make sure we were in church every sunday.  Very seldomly dad would come too, but he always came to church on holidays.  

My sister and I went to catholic school for elementary through 8th grade.  I'm sure that my father and mother both wanted it that way.  

Now, my mother was always very passive, had no confidence.  And she saw her mother's devotion to her father as a model for how much she should be faithful to my father.  And my father was pretty bad to my mom.  We were all pretty much afraid of him.  He was very unpredictable, but we depended upon him.   No matter how awful he was, my mother stayed with him... On one hand it was because she was afraid and too weak to do something about it, on the other hand she believed that marriage was perminant, and divorce is a sin.  So she prayed.  And Grandma prayed.  They prayed and prayed for years that my dad would change.  All the while my mother was suffering.  My dad could be a mean son of a bitch. 

Eventually my mother got a job as a flight attendant, which was the biggest achievement of her life.  She now travels all over the country, and has become freinds with lots of very different people of different faiths (or lack of), and different sexualities.  It really opened up her eyes.  And she's starting to think for herself finally.  Also she is away from home more than half of the time.  It's an escape for her.  She doesn't have to serve my father 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.   My father hates it.  He needs someone to wash his clothes and have dinner ready for him.  He wants her to quit, but she won't.  

This has caused a lot of stress for him...  About a year and a half ago, my father had some kind of nervous breakdown.  It led him to have what he called an "epiphany".  He had some kind of vision that led him to start believing in god and jesus and becoming faithful again.

Gotta go for now, I'll write more later. 

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear.
Thomas Jefferson

FundamentallyFlawed
FundamentallyFlawed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whoa... It seems like your

Whoa... It seems like your family has had more than its share of drama, and religion has played a rather prominent role.

I look forward to hearing the rest of this epic tale.

buster
buster's picture
User is offlineOffline
This experience that my

This experience that my father had was in my opinion caused by a few factors.  He was under a lot of stress.  Mostly from the threat that my mother wanted to leave... as he had very little control over her anymore.  From his work.  He works at the Post Office... and is one of many disgruntled employees there.  He has "gone postal" at times.  Also he became good friends with a man he worked with who was a born again Christian, his name was Dave.  He was a great guy, very into Jesus.   He also had cancer which eventually spread through his whole body over the course of two years or so.  He died about 2 months ago.  But Dave was mostly responsible for leading my father "back to Jesus". 

My father was a pallbearer at this man's funeral.  A lot of Dave's  friends came up to my dad afterward and  told him about how Dave talked about him all the time, and how he considered my dad his "greatest success".  Anyhow... this was about a year after my dad had his epiphany.

Now my dad goes to church all the time, but alone and usually on Monday or Saturday night because he works on Sunday mornings.   He goes to bible study sessions.  He's friends with all the priests. 

He and I don't communicate well about anything that's important.  We never have.  There is always an 800 pound gorilla in the room that is ignored, and it's been like that as long as I can remember.  If it's not about fishing, or practical matters, we don't talk much.  Actually, my dad doesn't communicate well about emotions or opinions with people at all.  Everything is his way or the highway.  His advice is best  His reasons are always correct.  If you disagree, you're stupid and ungrateful or whatever.  His favorite retort when conversation is not so serious is "You can think what you want, it's America."  The subtext reads "but you're wrong."

So these days my mother has a mind of her own.  Dad can't control her as much as he used to.  Her dogmatic beliefs are mostly gone and she realizes that sacrificing her health and happiness on the altar of religion has taken it's toll...  And she doesn't want to be miserable for the next 30 years or so of her life, like she was the last 30 years.  

My father believes in the words of Paul.  That it's womans place to submit to their husband, and what god puts together let no man break apart et cetera.  He believes he has changed, and that my mother and grandmothers prayers have been answered, so he can't understand why mom wants to leave.  He has softened a bit through the years, he's not as unpredictable and dangerous as he was...  But his tongue is still like a sharp knife.  He really knows how to hurt you with words.  He's very manipulative, and I don't think he realizes it.  He is desperate.  But he doesn't show it.  

And here I am, observing all of this.  Knowing what is happening, and I feel like I have a pretty good idea of all the forces involved, and why they act the way they do.  Sometimes I feel like I'm watching a train wreck happen in slow motion, while knowing the intimate details of every persons life on board. ...  Yet in my fathers eyes, I have no right to give him advice, or tell him anything.  I have been put in my place many times.  Still, I feel sorry for him because he has been the victim of all of these forces all his life.  He can't help the way he is.  And it's mostly because of his shitty childhood.

The thing is, I'm really not so worried about them breaking up.  I know my mother would be happier at least...  But I am worried about them both being miserable for the rest of their lives.   I wish they could just be happy together... Or at least help my dad realize that they could be happy apart too.  Either way, I'm mentally preparing myself for the coming storm.

So that's the gist of it.  There's a lot more of course.  If anyone has friends who are family therapists or councilors, I'd be very grateful if they could give me any advice. 

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear.
Thomas Jefferson

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm certainly not an expert

I'm certainly not an expert on the matter, but my parents and my friends' parents are about the same age as yours.  I know that back in their day, it was usual for the woman to stay at home, cook and clean and all that jazz.  I would venture to guess it would have been demasculating if your wife wasn't taking care of you.  Remember, it was the man that always brought home the money.  I'm sure that plays a part in your parent's life.  Of course, it's not like that is going to bring any comfort to you or your family.  I actually have friends whose parents had gone through similar situations (mainly the born-again-crazy-christian thing) and I'm sure it must be difficult.  Sorry I couldn't offer more help.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Buster, there's sure been a

Buster, there's sure been a lot of crap dealt out to your whole family.  It breaks my heart for all of your family.

I'm sure your parents background (Syrian and Polish) probably have something to do with the family dynamics because marriages are still fairly "traditional" in situations like that.

I give your mom many kudos for going out and getting a job that not only gets her out in the world (quite literally!), but also a respite from what your father is dishing out.  It sounds as if your mom is finding inner strength and can now start to believe in herself.

If you don't think your dad would be open to rational discussion, that's a shame.  Maybe you could find a good book (maybe "Letter to a Christian Nation" by Sam Harris - it's a quick and easy read) and make him a deal.  If he'll read yours, you would promise to read one of his of equal depth and length. 

When all else fails, give him a hug, tell him you love him and the two of you can agree not to discuss religion. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

ShaunPhilly
High Level ModeratorSilver Member
ShaunPhilly's picture
User is offlineOffline
Buster wrote: Actually, my

Buster wrote:

Actually, my dad doesn't communicate well about emotions or opinions with people at all.  Everything is his way or the highway.  His advice is best  His reasons are always correct.  If you disagree, you're stupid and ungrateful or whatever.  His favorite retort when conversation is not so serious is "You can think what you want, it's America."  The subtext reads "but you're wrong."

My dad is very similar.  We've never been close, considering my parent's split up when I was very young and I rarely saw him.  Recently he found out I was an atheist (it wasn't that i was not telling my family, it's that I never saw him) and he got a look of sadness, fear, anger, etc amd said something like 'you can believe whatever you want, you're still my son and I love you."  

It sounded so forced.  Since then I've commented to him about the mass forwarded emails he sends (many with religious content), and he responds in much the same dismissive way.  I doubt we'll ever have a real conversation about it.

Your story is unfortunate, and I sympathize.

Shaun 

I'll fight for a person's right to speak so long as that person will, in return, fight to allow me to challenge their opinions and ridicule them as the content of their ideas merit.

FundamentallyFlawed
FundamentallyFlawed's picture
User is offlineOffline
I really don't discuss

I really don't discuss religion with my family.  My sister reads my blog, so she's well aware of where I stand.  She hasn't really said anything to me one way or the other.  We were never a very religious family, so I don't think it's a big deal.

My father is rather oblivious to where I stand on anything.  My beliefs never come up in conversation, so I see no need to complicate matters by bringing up the subject.

I suppose I'm rather fortunate to come from a family that's not uber-religious.  

GreyhoundMama
GreyhoundMama's picture
User is offlineOffline
You mention therapists or

You mention therapists or counselors. If you're open to the idea, and can afford it, and can find one you feel compatible and comfortable with, therapy can be a great help. I had a lot to deal with when I got divorced, and having a safe place to talk about everything was significant in my healing. In fact my ex and I each had a private therapist, as well as one we went to together, to help us remain friends through the process. It was very helpful.

I'm so sorry your family is going through this. Kudos to you and your mom for moving forward and growing as people. I hope your dad is able to catch up someday.

Karen and her hounds
creating art ~ creating a new life