Does "sin" have meaning?

Technarch
User is offlineOffline
Does "sin" have meaning?

"We are all born with sin" means we all do something wrong in the eyes of God.  With no God, no Heaven, no spirituality and no spiritual consequence, is sin still a meaningful concept?  Animals kill each other and are not called sinful, because they act in accordance with their nature and the natural predator/prey relationship, using the laws of physics to exert force on others (clawing, biting).  If humans have no spiritual consequence, then acts such as killing and stealing are only applications of physics- I launch a bullet into you, I stab a knife into you, I take this item from you.  The only thing "wrong" is the action within the context of a given society.  You murder, society frowns on it, you're wrong in that society.  You go to war and kill someone in the name of your country, you are not a murder.  Killing becomes subjective and non-moral.  Morality is subjective on a human and societal level.  In a land with no laws, killing is an act of physics, not right or wrong.  The only consequence is you may feel bad and guilty internally, but no god will verify the wrongness for you.  

The "atheists commit more crimes because they have no moral compass" argument is flawed and tired, but aren't a lot of crimes based on a need for immediate action (I must kill you, I must steal) without sufficient spiritual guilt?  Assume the every day criminal is an unconscious atheist or a weak theist, meaning the thought of God isn't really dealt with consciously, but instant gratification is at the forefront of this person's actions.  The person kills someone and takes their belongings by acting on force of will, predator versus prey, natural laws of physics with a lethal object acting on a soft object with no spirit and no afterlife.  Life ceases for the victim, but in an obectively physical sense, the application of force causes life to cease, with no absolute right or wrong.  Any judgment right or wrong is based on the collective agreement of society plus the person's internal agreement or disagreement with that society.  

You're in a deserted area with someone, and can kill that person without being caught.  In one case, the person is homeless and won't escape their position in society.  In one case, the person is a rich drug dealer and taking his wallet will benefit you life.  In one case, the person is threatening you with a knife and you know you can shoot them to protect yourself.  In one case, a law enforcer from a dictatorship who wants to arrest you will make your life miserable by jail time, torture, punishment and labor, and you know you can kill him to escape the consequence.  Isn't the rightness or wrongness of killing subjective, based on personal beliefs, feelings, societal roles, and conformance with society?  Look at any action movie, where the justification of "good killing" and "bad killing" is made so that the hero can kill and be cheered and the villain can kill and be reviled.  Good and bad only exist in justified context.  

I do feel bad for writing this, because it sounds psychotic and sociopathic. Perhaps guilt is inate regardless of belief.  What about morals?

Technarch
User is offlineOffline
Animal cruelty is another

Animal cruelty is another example. To one person killing an animal seems perfectly natural, to another it seems unethical and morally wrong.

If wrongness is anything that willfully harms another human being, isn't the reason because it's detrimental to society and to the species as a whole? No group of animals would tolerate another animal killing its own members, thus cooperation of the species is good while killing is bad. But then the reason for not killing is merely a biological function of survival. Violating that need for survival creates a feeling of wrongness. Thus right and wrong are only strong emotional states.

This ethical relativism still feels wrong, but does a positive or negative feeling mean anything?  Are there morals, or are morals subjective and agreed upon?   

GreyhoundMama
GreyhoundMama's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have no idea how "no

I have no idea how "no spiritual consequence" leads to "killing and stealing ... only applications of physics." And I don't understand how one needs a god to "verify" wrongness.

Healthy human beings have empathy for their fellow human beings. It's part of being a social animal. I know that if I bop you over the head with a bat, it will hurt you. I know what pain is, and because I'm a social animal with empathy for you, I don't want you to feel pain. So I don't bop you over the head with a bat. It's a part of being human. Human beings who don't experience empathy are sociopaths or psychopaths. Their lack of feeling for humans leads them to do "evil" because they can't imagine what the rest of us feel. They are truly alone in that sense.

"If humans have no spiritual consequence, then acts such as killing and stealing are only applications of physics- I launch a bullet into you, I stab a knife into you, I take this item from you.  The only thing "wrong" is the action within the context of a given society.  You murder, society frowns on it, you're wrong in that society.  You go to war and kill someone in the name of your country, you are not a murder.  Killing becomes subjective and non-moral.  Morality is subjective on a human and societal level.  In a land with no laws, killing is an act of physics, not right or wrong.  The only consequence is you may feel bad and guilty internally, but no god will verify the wrongness for you.  "

Karen and her hounds
creating art ~ creating a new life

Technarch
User is offlineOffline
I can only ask this as a

I can only ask this as a loaded and unanswerable question, making the question worthless:  Would there be more murderers in an atheist society?   No, because people naturally feel empathy for each other- but would there be a greater number of atheists who do not feel empathy for each other, compared to today?  Does contemporary religion prevent a greater number of murders compared to a society with no religious ethics?  Say you live in an impoverished country where survival of the fittest is the most important, and the easiest way to survive is to be unethical.  If a society of nonreligious people is more ethically relative, or views actions as selfish or unselfish, or is selfishly utilitarian to maximize the survival of an individual with little regard for others, then wouldn't religion prevent most of that, acting as a buffer that keeps people from being selfish?  The selfishness of crime is not seen as just "it's only the police and the laws that I'm disobeying" but "it's eternal God who I'm disobeying." 

I'd like to see some criminal statistics.  I've heard most American criminals are Christian.  I'm wondering about other countries.  I'm wondering if crime is mostly due to lack of religious ethics or societal ethics.  Does having religious ethics and societal ethics decrease the chance of crime compared to someone with only societal ethics? 

All of these questions assume too much, so statistics would be more helpful in judging the "atheists commit more crimes" claim, though I'm asking "do immoral/unethical atheists commit more crimes than immoral/unethical religious people?"  Which isn't something you can really verify.    

Technarch
User is offlineOffline
My questions are all

My questions are all rhetorical.  As they are not logical questions, they have no logical answers.  They can only  be responded to with opinions.   Such is the plight of groundless speculative theory.

Yiab
User is offlineOffline
Technarch wrote:

Technarch wrote:
I'd like to see some criminal statistics. I've heard most American criminals are Christian. I'm wondering about other countries. I'm wondering if crime is mostly due to lack of religious ethics or societal ethics. Does having religious ethics and societal ethics decrease the chance of crime compared to someone with only societal ethics?

Unfortunately, I can't give you the statistics myself, but I've heard a commonly referenced statistic that the most atheistic societies on the planet are also the ones with the lowest crime rate. I've heard seems that religious belief and criminal activity are correlated pretty highly on a large scale.

Of course, there are a lot of confounders here - the most atheistic societies are also the most developed (with the exception of the u.s.) and developed countries might just naturally have a lower crime rate. The most atheistic societies also have the highest standards of living, the best medical care and education and so on (again, with the exception of the u.s.) all of which might also reduce crime rates. The united states stands as a shining counterexample here, though - great doctors (and a crappy medical system), great educators (and a worthless educational system), the highest standards of living for the wealthy (and very low standards of living for the impoverished), the highest rate of religious adherence among first-world countries (by a huge margin) and the highest crime rate among first-world countries (by an equally huge margin).

Obviously, you should check all of this for yourself, I'm just repeating stuff I've heard elsewhere and haven't checked at all.

You ask whether religious belief might be a good thing in society simply because it might stop a proportion of those people who do tend to be murderers from acting on their desires. I think the more important question goes straight to the heart of the nature/nurture blend:

Are religious parents more likely to raise children who, if they later lose their religious foundation, are more likely to become violent criminals?

I hope you see that the answer can be "yes" to both our questions at the same time and if it is it's the better choice to remove religion from society and suffer the terror of a generation of murderers so that for the remainder of our civilization people won't need to supress their murderous insticts through guilt (since those murderous insticts will be significantly less frequent). Of course, I don't know what the answers to those questions actually are.

Additionally, I believe there is a big difference between "sin" and "moral wrongdoing". That difference, in my mind, is that "sin" is a specifically religious term having to do with some sort of objective and deific "wrong", whereas "moral wrongdoing" is relative to a given moral system and so only needs a moral system to exist, not a god.

While atheistic society might not have a place for the concept of sin (as I use it), it certainly has a place for that of moral wrongdoing - killing someone is wrong in our socially constructed moral system whether or not god said so. "If god tells you it's okay to kill, god's wrong." (paraphrased from memory - I think Richard Dawkins said it).

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
In regards to the question

In regards to the question in the topic title, I'd say sin has meaning only to those who believe in it.

Technarch wrote:
"We are all born with sin" means we all do something wrong in the eyes of God.  With no God, no Heaven, no spirituality and no spiritual consequence, is sin still a meaningful concept?  Animals kill each other and are not called sinful, because they act in accordance with their nature and the natural predator/prey relationship, using the laws of physics to exert force on others (clawing, biting).  If humans have no spiritual consequence, then acts such as killing and stealing are only applications of physics- I launch a bullet into you, I stab a knife into you, I take this item from you.  The only thing "wrong" is the action within the context of a given society.  You murder, society frowns on it, you're wrong in that society.  You go to war and kill someone in the name of your country, you are not a murder.  Killing becomes subjective and non-moral.  Morality is subjective on a human and societal level.  In a land with no laws, killing is an act of physics, not right or wrong.  The only consequence is you may feel bad and guilty internally, but no god will verify the wrongness for you.

I would accept that as an accurate if vague description of the way things are, have always been, and will always be.

Technarch wrote:
The "atheists commit more crimes because they have no moral compass" argument is flawed and tired, but aren't a lot of crimes based on a need for immediate action (I must kill you, I must steal) without sufficient spiritual guilt?

No. Guilt is an after effect. You can't feel guilty for something you haven't done, or something you might think to do. Only for that which has been done. Guilt can be a usefull tool in rehabilitation. But, like the death penalty, it is completely useless as a deterrant.

Technarch wrote:
Assume the every day criminal is an unconscious atheist or a weak theist, meaning the thought of God isn't really dealt with consciously, but instant gratification is at the forefront of this person's actions.

Except we know this isn't true. We see strong theists who kill. Strong theists who steal. They claim their acts are commanded by god. They believe it.

Technarch wrote:
The person kills someone and takes their belongings by acting on force of will, predator versus prey, natural laws of physics with a lethal object acting on a soft object with no spirit and no afterlife.  Life ceases for the victim, but in an obectively physical sense, the application of force causes life to cease, with no absolute right or wrong.  Any judgment right or wrong is based on the collective agreement of society plus the person's internal agreement or disagreement with that society.

Again, I would accept this as an accurate if vague descriptive of the way things are.

Technarch wrote:
You're in a deserted area with someone, and can kill that person without being caught.  In one case, the person is homeless and won't escape their position in society.  In one case, the person is a rich drug dealer and taking his wallet will benefit you life.  In one case, the person is threatening you with a knife and you know you can shoot them to protect yourself.  In one case, a law enforcer from a dictatorship who wants to arrest you will make your life miserable by jail time, torture, punishment and labor, and you know you can kill him to escape the consequence.  Isn't the rightness or wrongness of killing subjective, based on personal beliefs, feelings, societal roles, and conformance with society?

Yes.

Technarch wrote:
  Look at any action movie, where the justification of "good killing" and "bad killing" is made so that the hero can kill and be cheered and the villain can kill and be reviled.  Good and bad only exist in justified context.

Exactly.

Technarch wrote:
I do feel bad for writing this, because it sounds psychotic and sociopathic. Perhaps guilt is inate regardless of belief.  What about morals?

It doesn't sound psychotic or sociopathic. It sounds realistic. I don't know why you would feel guilt.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Sin as defined in relation

Sin as defined in relation to divine law is predicated on proving a divinity. It's difficult to determine the natural cause of morality when you take it as a fixed idea, which it isn't. Morality has changed (and hopefully mostly progressed) over time, but its manifestation in mainstream American society (as opposed to more marginal and extreme groups), while giving credit to holy books, isn't really faithful to them. If prescribed doctrine isn't followed strictly, what is it within a person that empowers them to make this divergence from the texts, but stop short of amorality? Is it that divine intent has gradually and silently lost its love for stonings and slavery and believers have magically become aware of this, or is it possible that the majority of people (mainstream belivers included) are following a completely different moral imperative which has been falsely attributed to ancient texts?

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Technarch wrote: "We are

Technarch wrote:

"We are all born with sin" means we all do something wrong in the eyes of God.

In my church babies are not baptized because they are not considered to have sin.  (Everyone who is baptized in the Bible are adults, capable of making their own choices.  No babies are ever baptized.)  Sin doesn't come about until the child is able to make a  rational choice to accept or reject God.  The age varies, and truly would be something only God could fully judge.  The implications of that?  Well, God is the ultimate authority, he is in control, so let him be the judge.  It's not our job as Christians to point out each other's sins.  It's between the person and God.  Which is why I shake my head at people who hold up signs that say "homosexuals are going to hell".  I have never encountered a Christian that is that off balance (only seen them on TV), so my guess is they are the extreme minority, and are the type that would hate know matter what philosophy they adhered to.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: I have

sugarfree wrote:

I have never encountered a Christian that is that off balance (only seen them on TV), so my guess is they are the extreme minority, and are the type that would hate know matter what philosophy they adhered to.

Oh sugarfree!  They abound. 

Just look at the fuss in Kansas over teaching evolution. 

I have met so many people that fuss over gays.  They act as if giving gays the right to marry is going to affect their own life in some manner.  The reason they always give for having that opinion is because "it's a sin according to the bible."

I sat across the aisle at my Day Job for 4 or 5 YEARS and had to listen to a gal have fits over gay marriage.  She had fits over the Teri Shivo case.  She continutally posted anti-stem-cell research messages on the bulletin boards with the message "This will make human cloning a constitutional right"   (which was totally untrue because part of the initiative was that human cloning was banned).

No, I didn't take them down.  However, I was highly amused when someone else did.

The xian right is alive and well in the bible belt.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: I have met so

Susan wrote:

I have met so many people that fuss over gays. They act as if giving gays the right to marry is going to affect their own life in some manner. The reason they always give for having that opinion is because "it's a sin according to the bible."

I think the gay issue is a major misunderstanding between the secular left and conservative right.  There are good secular reasons why gay marriage is not a good idea for the overall society, most having to do with the health and well-being of children who really do develop better with a male and a female role model.  Basically, on that issue, I say, kids matter more and they should be taken into account more than the adults.  The homosexual definitely is a tough issue; however, I don't think it is black and white.  One side says, a person's born that way, the other says, it's the persons choice.  I truly believe there are cases of both, with the choice outnumbering the genetics.  (Stepping off soap box now.)

Susan wrote:
I sat across the aisle at my Day Job for 4 or 5 YEARS and had to listen to a gal have fits over gay marriage.
Well...I personally wouldn't do that at work, but that's just me.

Susan wrote:

The xian right is alive and well in the bible belt.

xian right?  Is that the same as neocon, evangelical...?  There seem to be a lot of different names for people like me.  I find neocon kind of annoying, and I've asked people at my church what the heck an evangelical is and do I fall in that category?  I dunno.  I just go about my way.

Anyways, I find the Christians in the midwest to be quite civil and clear-minded, which is why I don't understand why we are constantly being labeled differently.  That's just a frustration of mine.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
People being gay has nothing

People being gay has nothing to do with children. There's no secular problem with it at all. I've known many people who were raised by homosexuals and turned out a lot better than some people raised by hetrosexuals. I've also known homosexuals who raised those children. I must say your comment is without merit. Especially when taking into account all the ways that children are raised. The worst of them all is the state.

I've also witnessed irrefutable evidence that homosexuality is genetic. Just do a google search on gay sheep. You'll see it too. People are attracted to those who attract them. There's no choice in what attracts you. I don't choose to find a (generalization)110 year old, 200 kilogram female unattractive; or a 30 year old 100 kilogram male unattractive; or a 25 year old, 70 kilogram female attractive. It's simply the way I was born.

Technarch
User is offlineOffline
So how does the gay gene get

So how does the gay gene get passed on?  Or does everyone have it?

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
The whole gay issue is just

The whole gay issue is just a storm in a teacup. What is it to be gay exactly?  It means if you're a guy you find guys more attractive, if you're a girl you find girls more attractive.  

Let me put it to you like this.  Does it matter if someone prefers red cars over green ones?  Does it matter if someone prefers strawberry milkshakes over vanilla ones?  Does it matter if someone prefers people with glasses over those who don't?  Does it matter if someone prefers a person with a more athletic body over a non-athletic body?  Does it matter if a person prefers short hair over long?  Does it matter if someone prefers more effeminate people over others?  It's all a matter of taste, nothing more.  "sexuality" is a myth, it's making a big deal about nothing.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Cory T
Theist
Cory T's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bringing this back to the

Bringing this back to the topic of sin.

Sin is nothing more than separation from God.  When Adam ate the fruit of the forbidden tree, he brought the penalty on all from God.  We each bear some of that from the first moment we are able to make a conscious choice between what is right and what is wrong.

And we humans know the difference between right and wrong. We do not need religion to tell us the differences.  We already know in our hearts.  This very discussion thread would never exist without the knowledge of the difference between right and wrong, as a matter of fact!

The problem I see is one of worldview.  I view the Bible as my infallible, inerrant source of morality, history, and the redemption of our own sinful natures.  I will venture to say that that puts me in the 1% or less minority in this group.  In the Bible, gay sex (not love) is called immoral.  (And let's be frank: the parts don't fit together; c'mon!  Get real!  Is gay sex even LOGICAL??)

Other folks have no guidelines by which they base absolute morality on; so morals become relative to the situation that they find themselves in.  That was clearly illustrated by the example of murder vs. fighting in a war given above.

I can cram Bible verses galore about the immorality of gay sex down your throats.  It won't matter because I'm not going to get anywhere.  You do not ascribe the same level of authority to the Bible that I do.  I'd get further with the logic argument.

And here is the conclusion: Most people on this board who aren't Christians have no absolute sense of morality as defined by the Bible.  Therefore, morality is defined as a matter of context.  It's never absolutely wrong to murder someone.  It is never absolutely wrong to have sex with another man's wife.  It is never absolutely wrong to lie or cheat or steal.  All of those actions may be acceptable given situations such as war, a lousy home life, or not wishing to offend someone.  By having this worldview, sin is completely irrelevant.

The core of the Christian message is that God redeems us from our sins by the death of Christ.  He suffered that punishment for us.  With a worldview that forbids absolute morality, a person doesn't believe that they require that sort of salvation from sin.  By extension, the entire Christian message breaks down and seems silly.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. --Galileo Galilei

Yiab
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: There are

sugarfree wrote:
There are good secular reasons why gay marriage is not a good idea for the overall society, most having to do with the health and well-being of children who really do develop better with a male and a female role model.

They do? Since when is this an issue with just gay marriage? Shouldn't this be attacking single parents first? After all, most gay couples I know have close friends of the opposite sex, so any child would have regular role models of both sexes anyway, just not in an immediately parental role.

I'll also go with Penn & Teller's arguments about this on Bullshit: gay parents are typically older and more financially secure, which makes them more likely to raise healthy, well-adjusted children. Additionally, gay parents can't have accidental children, so that's a potential risk of unexpected financial insecurity they don't have to deal with. Studies have shown that the only negative consequence for a child of gay parents is that they have to deal with the bigotry of other people regarding their parents.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that marriage as a secular institution should be abolished altogether, but if it's going to stick around anyone should be able to do it.

Vastet wrote:
I've also witnessed irrefutable evidence that homosexuality is genetic.

Ahem. Minor nitpicky correction: "... that homosexuality has a strong biologically hereditary component."

Cory T wrote:
I view the Bible as my infallible, inerrant source of morality

Right. I'm a Jew, I worked yesterday. Stone me to death.

Cory T wrote:
And let's be frank: the parts don't fit together; c'mon! Get real! Is gay sex even LOGICAL??

1) Who says it's not more fun if the parts don't fit together?

2) The parts actually do fit together just fine.

3) Whether or not it's logical makes absolutely no difference to whether or not it's moral.

Cory T wrote:
Other folks have no guidelines by which they base absolute morality on; so morals become relative to the situation that they find themselves in.

Yes, exactly. And that's a damn good thing.

Cory T wrote:
I'd get further with the logic argument.

You certainly would. What is it?

Cory T wrote:
The core of the Christian message is that God redeems us from our sins by the death of Christ.

... Making sin relevant?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cory T wrote: Sin is

Cory T wrote:
Sin is nothing more than separation from God.

Then god forces sin on us.

Cory T wrote:
When Adam ate the fruit of the forbidden tree, he brought the penalty on all from God. We each bear some of that from the first moment we are able to make a conscious choice between what is right and what is wrong.

No crime committed by one can be attributed to all. It's illogical, it's immoral, and it's hypocritical. And if we have to choose what is right and wrong, then there's obviously not an absolute about right and wrong.

Cory T wrote:
And we humans know the difference between right and wrong.

No we don't. We're taught the difference as we grow up. Then we experience it as adolescents and adults to clarify.

Cory T wrote:
We do not need religion to tell us the differences.

Obviously.

Cory T wrote:
We already know in our hearts.

Obviously not.

Cory T wrote:
This very discussion thread would never exist without the knowledge of the difference between right and wrong, as a matter of fact!

True enough.

Cory T wrote:
The problem I see is one of worldview. I view the Bible as my infallible, inerrant source of morality, history, and the redemption of our own sinful natures.

I view the bible as a piece of ameteurish entertainment that some drugged out group of primitives started to actually believe in. It is fallible, it is immoral, and it is inaccurate.

Cory T wrote:
I will venture to say that that puts me in the 1% or less minority in this group.

It makes me think you never read the whole thing, I'll say that much.

Cory T wrote:
In the Bible, gay sex (not love) is called immoral. (And let's be frank: the parts don't fit together; c'mon! Get real!

They most certainly do fit together. Otherwise it wouldn't be possible in the first place. You might have a point as far as females go, but that's too hot for me to suggest it's wrong.

Cory T wrote:
Is gay sex even LOGICAL??)

Is any sex logical?

Cory T wrote:
Other folks have no guidelines by which they base absolute morality on; so morals become relative to the situation that they find themselves in.

There's no such thing as absolute morality. If it existed, it would be absolute. Morality isn't absolute, so absolute morality is an oxymoron.

Cory T wrote:
That was clearly illustrated by the example of murder vs. fighting in a war given above.

My point was, yours wasn't.

Cory T wrote:
I can cram Bible verses galore about the immorality of gay sex down your throats. It won't matter because I'm not going to get anywhere.

Indeed. I could care less what an immoral book suggests is moral.

Cory T wrote:
You do not ascribe the same level of authority to the Bible that I do.

I don't subscribe any authority to the bible at all. It has none.

Cory T wrote:
I'd get further with the logic argument.

You could try.

Cory T wrote:
And here is the conclusion: Most people on this board who aren't Christians have no absolute sense of morality as defined by the Bible.

Because there's no such thing.

Cory T wrote:
Therefore, morality is defined as a matter of context.

All morality is. Including your own. You choose the bible as context. We choose reality and society.

Cory T wrote:
It's never absolutely wrong to murder someone. It is never absolutely wrong to have sex with another man's wife. It is never absolutely wrong to lie or cheat or steal. All of those actions may be acceptable given situations such as war, a lousy home life, or not wishing to offend someone. By having this worldview, sin is completely irrelevant.

It's not a matter of view, it's a matter of fact.

Cory T wrote:
The core of the Christian message is that God redeems us from our sins by the death of Christ.

Ridiculous.

Cory T wrote:
He suffered that punishment for us.

Why? If I cause a crime, I'll suffer the punishment. I would never ask someone else to suffer it for me. That would be immoral. So even if your whole view is accurate, I refuse to accept "forgiveness" in the face of someone elses pain. I'll suffer it myself.

Cory T wrote:
With a worldview that forbids absolute morality, a person doesn't believe that they require that sort of salvation from sin.

We don't. It has nothing to do with belief.

Cory T wrote:
By extension, the entire Christian message breaks down and seems silly.

Because it is.

Yiab wrote:
Ahem. Minor nitpicky correction: "... that homosexuality has a strong biologically hereditary component."

Acceptable.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
The problem I see is one of

The problem I see is one of worldview.  I view the Bible as my infallible, inerrant source of morality, history, and the redemption of our own sinful natures.  I will venture to say that that puts me in the 1% or less minority in this group.  In the Bible, gay sex (not love) is called immoral.  (And let's be frank: the parts don't fit together; c'mon!  Get real!  Is gay sex even LOGICAL??)

Other folks have no guidelines by which they base absolute morality on; so morals become relative to the situation that they find themselves in. That was clearly illustrated by the example of murder vs. fighting in a war given above.

You're begging the question of whether a moral atheist just hasn't had enough incentive to commit a crime. Like, if an armored car driver was changing a flat, I'd be forced by my lack of beliefs to club him with his tire wrench. Nice try. I haven't seen a lot of Christians object to the tens of thousands of civilian casualties in Iraq, so I'm guessing there's a "situational morality" at work there. Funny that.

I can cram Bible verses galore about the immorality of gay sex down your throats. 

Interesting choice of words.

It won't matter because I'm not going to get anywhere.  You do not ascribe the same level of authority to the Bible that I do.  I'd get further with the logic argument.

And yet you proceed to paraphrase and distill the meaningless biblical text. A world of difference.

And here is the conclusion: Most people on this board who aren't Christians have no absolute sense of morality as defined by the Bible.  Therefore, morality is defined as a matter of context.

Or the Qur'an, or Dianetics. Which begs the question "What prevents an atheist from committing x?" The difference is the secular moral imperative leaves room for improvement. If one era says slavery is OK, people who disagree can eventually get in changed; eventually the immorality of slavery seems obvious. I can cherry-pick from ancient texts to derive my morality, but it's only by the disregarding of scores of bizarre dogmatic rules that I'd live anything that remotely resembled a modern mainstream life. Which is exactly what most Americans do, believers included.

What prevents an atheist raping and murdering because he doesn't believe in hell? I'd guess the same thing that prevents a mainstream Muslim or Christian keeping slaves or killing infidels, despite having the infallible justification for doing so. It's only those pesky secular laws that see a such a broad range of people being entitled to human rights. As I see it, faith as a moral cause is a conceit.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Cory T wrote: And here is

Cory T wrote:
And here is the conclusion: Most people on this board who aren't Christians have no absolute sense of morality as defined by the Bible. Therefore, morality is defined as a matter of context...With a worldview that forbids absolute morality, a person doesn't believe that they require that sort of salvation from sin. By extension, the entire Christian message breaks down and seems silly.
I agree on this.  I feel you have stated it better than I was able to on a different thread.  My point is that, the Bible has to be taken as a whole, not just one scripture here, one scripture there.  If you do that, you wind up with...well, a bunch of people arguing about the Bible and its contents.  As far as the sin piece, I agree with your statement also.  The word "sin" is a real turn off for people, perhaps the word "imperfect" would take some of the edge off.  Instead of 'we are all "sinners"', think 'we are all "imperfect"'.  Maybe not as spot on, but easier for some people to digest at first.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree

sugarfree wrote:

Anyways, I find the Christians in the midwest to be quite civil and clear-minded, which is why I don't understand why we are constantly being labeled differently.  That's just a frustration of mine.

Interesting because the Midwest is exactly where I am.  Right smack dab in the center of it.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: sugarfree

Susan wrote:
sugarfree wrote:

Interesting because the Midwest is exactly where I am.  Right smack dab in the center of it.

I'm in central Indiana. I think you said you are in Kansas? When I say midwest, I consider myself to be smack dab in the center of it. But I if you guys call yourself midwest also, I guess "midwest" covers a bigger region than I thought.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Believe it or not, folks in

Believe it or not, folks in Wisconsin and Minnesota consider themselves to be in the Midwest.  Personally, I think they're in the "North".

I'm on the state line between Kansas and Missouri.  I guess I could qualify "the center of it" as geographical center.  Wink