I pwned a x-tian today :)

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
I pwned a x-tian today :)

While debating with a theist lady I know, she used the line "You atheists should just shut up", to which I replied.

That’s what men said to the women suffragettes in the 1920s

That’s what the southern whites said to the blacks in the 1960s civil rights movement

That’s what they said to the gays and lesbians in the 1970s and 1980s

She replied, " Are you saying christians are the same as misogynists, racists and homophobes?"

"Yup, it has been used to justify all of those attitudes in the past".

She was speechless, lol

LunarShadow
User is offlineOffline
PWN3D

PWN3D

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Excellent

Excellent argument! 

Interesting piece of history: It was the more humanist Unitarian Universalist church whose activism helped end slavery. The fundies justified it by saying that it was condoned in the bible.

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nice going. :)  I wonder if

Nice going. Smiling  I wonder if the lady in question watches CNN? Laughing out loud

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zombie wrote: While

Zombie wrote:

While debating with a theist lady I know, she used the line "You atheists should just shut up", to which I replied.

That’s what men said to the women suffragettes in the 1920s

That’s what the southern whites said to the blacks in the 1960s civil rights movement

That’s what they said to the gays and lesbians in the 1970s and 1980s

She replied, " Are you saying christians are the same as misogynists, racists and homophobes?"

"Yup, it has been used to justify all of those attitudes in the past".

She was speechless, lol

You know Ann Coulter? Cool.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
1 x-ian down.  Only

1 x-ian down.  Only 999,999,999 to go...

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: She replied, " Are

Quote:

In my experience it still is to this very day, the only difference is christians are using their religion SUCCESSFULLY as a shield to hide behind while they do this.  The successfulness of this in every day life, public life and even the top levels of politics has left me speechless.  To me it's unfathomable that they manage to get away with it, but somehow they do.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

ShaunPhilly
High Level ModeratorSilver Member
ShaunPhilly's picture
User is offlineOffline
rab wrote: Excellent

rab wrote:

Excellent argument!

Interesting piece of history: It was the more humanist Unitarian Universalist church whose activism helped end slavery. The fundies justified it by saying that it was condoned in the bible.

I attended a Quaker school for 13 years.  I remember back then we were at the meeting house (like a Quaker church) and being told a story about how the building was used to hide run-away slaves during the days of the Underground Railroad.  We even did a camping trip taht included doing a mock underground railroad which involved 6th graders moving around the woods at night looking for safe zones to hide while the mock slave-hunters looked for us.

At one point, some students went to the wrong house and had a shotgun pulled on them.  Nobody was hurt, but I think that little bit of reality among a re-enactment made the point taht being a run-away slave was dangerous.

We owe gratitude to those brave freethinkers of the past for where we are, and for those alive now for where we (hopefully) are headed.

Shaun 

I'll fight for a person's right to speak so long as that person will, in return, fight to allow me to challenge their opinions and ridicule them as the content of their ideas merit.

MarthaSplatterhead (not verified)
User is offlineOffline

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
lol nice picture!

lol nice picture!

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I agree that Christians are

I agree that Christians are the same as misogynists, racists, and homophobes.  I would also add murderers, liars, hypocrites, theives, losers, drunkards, etc.  Jesus hung out with all of the above.  Everyone has within them, the capability of being these things...it's human nature.  Christians just give it a name: sin.

I have a question, tho.  What does an athiest do when the "self" breaks down.  When, for whatever reason, psychosis, depression, panic, anxiety sets in.  What is the atheists response to the person who has lost themselves in the depths of depression so they no longer know the difference between right and wrong?  If a person becomes suicidal and no longer cares about family, friends, life...what keeps the athiest from pulling the trigger?  This sort of mental state can descend on anyone.  The science behind it is called low serotonin.  And it can affect anyone, just like cancer...we have no control over it.

What I'm trying to understand, as I read the posts on this site is,  what do you do when the world becomes too big for you?   When there are too many heartaches, too may deaths, too much darkness.  Where do you find light?

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey

I don’t find it in an imaginary god or goddess, the same way I don’t find it in the tooth fairy or santa claus.

In the scenario described, I would wish a shrink and probably be given prozac or something similar. As you said, the science behind it is called low serotonin; science can be the cure as well.

Beyond that, there are many places one could look for hope and inspiration. The good things in the world, a false god or goddess is not one of them.

Morte alla tyrannus et dei

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote:

sugarfree wrote:

I agree that Christians are the same as misogynists, racists, and homophobes. I would also add murderers, liars, hypocrites, theives, losers, drunkards, etc. Jesus hung out with all of the above. Everyone has within them, the capability of being these things...it's human nature. Christians just give it a name: sin.

If misogynists, racists, and homophobes are sinners, why is it so easy to justify their biases with the Bible?

sugarfree wrote:

I have a question, tho. What does an athiest do when the "self" breaks down. When, for whatever reason, psychosis, depression, panic, anxiety sets in. What is the atheists response to the person who has lost themselves in the depths of depression so they no longer know the difference between right and wrong? If a person becomes suicidal and no longer cares about family, friends, life...what keeps the athiest from pulling the trigger? This sort of mental state can descend on anyone. The science behind it is called low serotonin. And it can affect anyone, just like cancer...we have no control over it.

What I'm trying to understand, as I read the posts on this site is, what do you do when the world becomes too big for you? When there are too many heartaches, too may deaths, too much darkness. Where do you find light?

These are questions with no easy answers. It should go without saying, just because religion helps people cope doesn't in any way make it true. Just because religion helps people cope, doesn't mean we can find nonreligious was to cope. Also, theses nonreligious ways could be better.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
MarthaSplatterhead

MarthaSplatterhead wrote:

That's an awesome pic. Laughing out loud

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
MrRage wrote:

MrRage wrote:
sugarfree wrote:

I agree that Christians are the same as misogynists, racists, and homophobes. I would also add murderers, liars, hypocrites, theives, losers, drunkards, etc. Jesus hung out with all of the above. Everyone has within them, the capability of being these things...it's human nature. Christians just give it a name: sin.

If misogynists, racists, and homophobes are sinners, why is it so easy to justify their biases with the Bible?
PWNT!

MrRage wrote:
sugarfree wrote:
I have a question, tho. What does an athiest do when the "self" breaks down. When, for whatever reason, psychosis, depression, panic, anxiety sets in. What is the atheists response to the person who has lost themselves in the depths of depression so they no longer know the difference between right and wrong? If a person becomes suicidal and no longer cares about family, friends, life...what keeps the athiest from pulling the trigger? This sort of mental state can descend on anyone. The science behind it is called low serotonin. And it can affect anyone, just like cancer...we have no control over it.

What I'm trying to understand, as I read the posts on this site is, what do you do when the world becomes too big for you? When there are too many heartaches, too may deaths, too much darkness. Where do you find light?

These are questions with no easy answers. It should go without saying, just because religion helps people cope doesn't in any way make it true. Just because religion helps people cope, doesn't mean we can find nonreligious was to cope. Also, theses nonreligious ways could be better.
I think you need to use "can't" in there.

But anyway, he seems to be completely ignoring what the thread starter pointed out; Religious morals are not as good as people seems to think they are.

If religious morals were so good, then why is the world not peaceful, despite the vast majority of people being religious?
Why is there so much oppression and hatred throughout the world?

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
Yes, I meant can't. That's a

Yes, I meant can't. That's a typo.

Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
the sad fact is, not only is

the sad fact is, not only is oppression and hatred condoned by religion, it is quite often encouraged by it. And people don't even realise it.

ForensicAtheist
ForensicAtheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote:

sugarfree wrote:

I can try to answer that since I'm both an atheist and a shrink. There are a number of answers to your question depending on getting more specifics. Unfortunately, the general answer I might give you below may not be satisfactory and the reason is because everyone's depression is different so therefore treated differently. You may think that all anti-depressant meds are made the same, but there are subtle differences that make the selection different. I've been practicing for about 5 years now and I'm yet to have an open atheist walk into my office hopelessly depressed let alone depressed because "because there's no god and therefore the world is too dark". Most of the time I get xtians who go to church on a regular basis coming in with those sentiments(expect for the no god part).
If I ever did get an atheist that told me that I would try to ground them in reality, after giving some meds. Biological depression is very treatable and pulls people out of the despair you're talking about so that they can discuss more rational thought that isn't clouded by depressed. Then I talk to them about family, friends, pets, activities they do enjoy, anything to keep them grounded in reality.
The truth is, if someone wants to die, there isn't anything you, I, or any god can do about it. Period.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'm an atheist and have

I'm an atheist and have suffered depression on and off my whole life, but it was actually worse BEFORE I was an atheist. And has nothing to do with there being no god.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
A first time poster! 

A first time poster! 

Welcome ForensicAtheist!

With your background, you are a great addition to the forums. 

As an Atheist, how do you handle xians that moan about religion not fulfilling their lives?  Surely they don't easily understand the "find things you enjoy" and "you have friends and family" logic when they're probably looking for a god to fix everything.

Or do you find that they come to you after their god doesn't fix anything? 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.