Being interviewed

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Being interviewed

So, I have a friend who is an aspiring documentarian (is that even a word?) and he's asked to interview me for a documentary he's working on regarding religion.  I'm really the only outspoken atheist among my friends.  Here's the thing:  I'm really shy when it comes to discussions and I get very nervous that I might screw up, which inevitably makes me screw up.  It's not like this is going to be a debate and I don't have all the details yet, but does anyone have any advice for me?  I usually can hold my own in discussions among friends. It's just a low key thing but then again, it took me months to even start posting on these forums. 

On a side note, I also mentioned to a another friend about the atheist volunteering and I mentioned how I'd like to do a book drive or something.  He owns a sound company and suggested doing a show instead.  Does anyone know any bands in the NJ/NY/PA area that have a political/atheist slant?  Just curious. Thanks!

If god takes life he's an indian giver

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
If he's your friend he will

If he's your friend he will help you with this and not try to make a mockery of your thoughts and opinions which you feel will get misconstrued(?) due to this nervousness.  Think of this as an opportunity to help you with the nervousness and public speaking, a way to gain the confidence to talk on this subjects.  Approach him along these lines and see if he's willing to lend assistance, it would be brilliant for these ideas of doing a show.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Conn_in_Brooklyn
Conn_in_Brooklyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Get a hold of the questions

Get a hold of the questions or  topics well before hand so you can prepare.  That is key when being interviewed for a documentary like this one (at least, what it sounds like it'll be) ... I've worked on a few documentaries, and even when the people being interviewed are just telling anecdotes about their neighborhood, or talking about their families, it's good to give them time to go back and refresh their memories - or in your case, freshen up on some of the issues you will be discussing.

Also, don't be afraid to discuss issues you may have with the questions or topics with the producers/director/film-maker before the cameras start rolling ... And if you don't know these people too well, do some research on them, who's financing them, what they're bias is ...

Is that helpful?

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks guys!  Definitely

Thanks guys!  Definitely helpful.  I'm not very good at being on the frontline, if you will.  I had to take a public speaking class and would get so nervous I couldn't talk.  I know this guy decently, and he and I have have had a few conversations regarding religion, I just don't want to make myself out to be a dummy.

Laker-taker
Laker-taker's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with the above.

I agree with the above.

Get a bead on the kinds of interview questions he'll be asking ahead of time. Ask for a list. Prepare. Maybe even post them here for opinions or talk to close friends about it if there's time. PM me if you want, even. I'm more than willing to give more specific advice.

Ultimately though, you're doing him a favor by being the interviewee in his documentary (especially if you are not getting paid for it, which I assume is the case); some concessions of forethought should be more than reasonable.

From what I've seen of your posts here, you've demonstrated that you are a perceptive and intelligent person. I gather that if I were you, I would be worried about it; but if I were me, advising you--which I am--I would suggest that you take it in stride; answer honestly. I think you'll do fine.

And since it is not a live interview, it would be fair to ask for a retake if you are not comfortable with your responses.

In any event, let us know how it goes.

econgineer
econgineer's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have pretty severe social

I have pretty severe social anxiety (debilitating perhaps), which sounds like what you're describing.  And I have occasionally had to give interviews for work and such.  Being prepared has helped me.  Remember, the interviewer is not your enemy, he or she wants to hear what you have to say.  Pause after every question and briefly compose the answer in your head before you answer.  You don't want to be fumbling around for the right words during the answer.  Also, I try to be concise, since I start stuttering and stammering when I go on, and people lose interest in a thought after a few seconds.  But one other piece of advice I can give is joining a public speaking group like Toastmasters.  For those of you unfamiliar with it, Toastmasters is a group dedicated to helping people develop public speaking skills.  The local Toastmasters groups that meet usually have a common theme like Singles, Mensans,  company sponsored, or even Atheists. Smiling 

Here's a link to a Freethinkers Toastmasters group I found on the internet:

http://atheistsunited.org/#FTTM

You may not be local to them so you may want to find another special interest group closer to you.  So here's the link to Toastmasters International:

http://www.toastmasters.org/

Good luck

Responsibility: A detachable burden easily shifted to the shoulders of God, Fate, Fortune, Luck or one's neighbor. In the days of astrology it was customary to unload it upon a star. ~Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary, 1911

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I do hope that I will have

I do hope that I will have time to ask you guys any questions, if necessary, to help me prepare better.  I think as long as I know what he's going to ask, I'll feel more comfortable.  And he is a friend of sorts, so I'm sure he's not going to try to put a negative slant on anything. 

I'm going to have to check out that Toastmasters thing.  I also stutter and stammer when I'm in front of people.  Or worse, I get this maniacal nervous giggle.

Thanks again, all!