When a theist says something really, REALLY stupid in the "Kill Them with Kindness" forum,

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
When a theist says something really, REALLY stupid in the "Kill Them with Kindness" forum,

what's the best way to respond?  

http://www.rationalresponders.com/comment/reply/5179#comment_form

^^^That's some seriously fucked-up "thinking" by the OP and a lot of folks absolutely couldn't refrain from ad hominem attacks.  I almost entered the fray, too.  I mean, geez!  It's like putting blood in the water! 

Should we take a deep breath first or something? 

Spewn
User is offlineOffline
Take a deep breath if you

Take a deep breath if you need to.  Don't let someone else decide how you're going to conduct yourself.  You decide.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Breathe in.  Breathe

Breathe in.  Breathe out.  Repeat if necessary.

When there's a post that seriously flawed, you can bet that no amount of reason is going to do any good.

Breathe in.  Breathe out.  Repeat if necessary.

When I get all "up in arms" over something and slam out a response, I usually let it sit for awhile to see if I really want to post it, edit it or delete it. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I admit that sometimes

I admit that sometimes posts like that get me pretty worked up, and I've probably pushed the limits of the Kill em' with Kindness forum a couple of times.

Part of this, to be honest, is that I usually use the recent post feature, so I don't always see that a thread is in KewK.

My rule of thumb, though, is that if a statement is ridiculous, I say it's ridiculous. If it demonstrates ignorance, I say that, too. I try never to attack the person directly, as in, "You are really stupid to say that." That goes for every forum, so I don't really respond differently in KewK.

(Of course, some people think that being told that their statement demonstrates ignorance is a personal attack. I try to remind them that I'm a pretty smart dude, but there are a TON of things I'm ignorant about.)

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
And sadly, many people

And sadly, many people don't seem to know the difference between stupid and ignorant.

*sigh* 

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka, you think that was

Iruka, you think that was stupid?

Check this out

I almost cried with laughter and horror (that anyone could be so incredibly stupid)

take a deep breath...

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/the_rational_response_squad_radio_show/freethinking_anonymous/5340

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is there any way to have a

Is there any way to have a reminder at the top of topics in the "Kill Them with Kindness" forum...some kind of badge for that forum only?

Obviously I need to strive to be calmer when dealing with theists in general, but it would be nice to have a reminder on that particular forum.

This post was mostly to remind me that I need to be careful. I'm not trying to lay the smackdown on anyone else for being rude because *I* have a real problem with anger toward religionists. I'd like to learn to rein it in.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is a little

There is a little explanation on the Kill 'Em With Kindness forum if you come in through the main forums page. 

However, I think the biggest drawback is that a lot of people come into a thread through the "recent posts" function (link on left side of the page) and don't realize they're in the Kill 'Em With Kindness forum.

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: And sadly,

Susan wrote:

And sadly, many people don't seem to know the difference between stupid and ignorant.

*sigh*

That's meta-ignorance.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: There is a

Susan wrote:

There is a little explanation on the Kill 'Em With Kindness forum if you come in through the main forums page.

However, I think the biggest drawback is that a lot of people come into a thread through the "recent posts" function (link on left side of the page) and don't realize they're in the Kill 'Em With Kindness forum.

Exactly.

It would be nice for there to be some kind of a reminder on the top of the page for when we stumble onto a discussion this way. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey, you guys want to have

Hey, you guys want to have fun with me and "sonofthemorningstar"?

Let's be non-rational.

TOASTTOASTTOASTTOASTTAOSTTOASTTOASTTOASTTOASTOASTTOAST

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:
Susan wrote:

Exactly.

It would be nice for there to be some kind of a reminder on the top of the page for when we stumble onto a discussion this way.

What I've learned to do when I come to the forums is to first come in through the main forums page and go directly to the Kill 'Em With Kindness thread and read the entries.  That way I know it's the one with the extra rules.  After I read those, I come back in through the Recent Posts feature.  Those that I've already read do not display as having new posts.