Atheists, Agnostics, and Theists

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheists, Agnostics, and Theists

First off I just like to say sorry for bringing this up again if it has been discussed so many times before, but I missed those discussions.

Now for my question..I was just wondering if someone, or many people could explain the origins of these three words and what they mean.  I would actually like to get a lot of opinions.  The main thing I'm looking for here though is the origin of the words.

Thanks,

ps.  I read the two articles about this topic and watched the video, I found them useful but was hoping for some more, sorry if there is other stuff on the site I couldn't find.  Thanks again. 

Rev0lver
User is offlineOffline
well to put it simply,

well to put it simply, theism= belief and worship of a higher power(god, allah, sheeva, w/e)

atheism(the "a" meaning not)= rejects the idea of a higher power

agnostic= someone who isn't quite sure either way.

Laker-taker
Laker-taker's picture
User is offlineOffline
The origin of the term

The origin of the term "atheist" is in the Greek roots "a-", meaning without, or not, and "theos", meaning god--literally "without god."  It was originally a derogatory term, as far as I know, with the implication that someone who is "without god" is immoral.  Fortunately, we know better now.

So, a "theist" is then expressing or holding a positive belief, while an "atheist"  lacks that belief.

"Agnostic" is a bit different.  It doesn't have an etymology per se, but was spontaneously coined by Thomas Huxley to denote someone who lacks knowledge, or the means to knowledge, about a particular subject.  Huxley may have invented the word based on Greek or Latin roots, but the ancients didn't use the word.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presumably, Huxley was

Presumably, Huxley was using the greek, "gnosis" which is knowledge, unless I am mistaken.

So, with "a" meaning without, we basically get "without knowledge."  Huxley, of course, was referring specifically to knowledge of god.

I don't know of any connection between the word agnostic and the gnosticism movement, which dates back to near the rise of Christianity, at least.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Pragmatic Pat
Pragmatic Pat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Perhaps this is slightly off

Perhaps this is slightly off topic, but I was reading in a book, called The Case Against Atheism, that argues that agnosticism is not in fact a middle ground between atheism and agnosticism, but rather a further means of classification.

The idea runs that because theism is the affirmation of 'the belief in god/gods', and atheism is the 'lack of belief in god/gods', that atheism and theism consequently cover all possible modes of belief. Either you affirm your belief in a god, or you lack belief in god.

The book further goes on to say that it is possible to be an agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist depending on one's specific beliefs. I think that an agnostic atheist is one for whom the existence of god is inheritably unknowable, whilst an agnostic theist is one for who god exists, but believes that the nature of god is inheritably unknowable.

Oh yes, and 'Byhamdamnit' (great name), you are correct about the gnostic thing.

Subvert the Dominant Paradigm...

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
The book has it somewhat

The book has it somewhat correct, actually.

If I have no knowledge of any god, then it is impossible for me to have a belief in any god, so I am technically an atheist if I am an agnostic.  I cannot ask you to believe in a wakawikalishion before first explaining to you what it is.

I think in colloquial usage, agnostic more often refers to a person who believes there is a god, but claims no further knowledge.  Knowledge of existence is knowledge, though, and at that point, the person could not rightly be called agnostic by the strict definition.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Pragmatic Pat
Pragmatic Pat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Woops...I kinda screwed the

Woops...I kinda screwed the title of the book up in a big way...heh.

It's called The Case for atheism

Yes...like you said the lack of belief in 'wakawikalishion' gets classified as unconscious atheism, under the definition that atheism is a lack of belief in god/gods - by the way, does RR have an official definition of atheism? Because definitions of god and the like obviously have to come from the opposer, but defining atheism seems more like the atheist's job.

As for the conscious atheism, that I have been provided with the alternative to pick god, people have a habit of coming up with the definition 'a belief in the lack of god' rather than a 'lack of belief in god'. However, I hold the latter definition to be more reasonable simply by studying the actual word. As has already been brought up, -a means without.

Again, sorry about the book title, kinda stupid mistake to make

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
That makes a lot more

That makes a lot more sense.  I was wondering how a theist book actually got it right.

I think the consensus here is that the most rational form of atheism is the negative form, i.e. lack of belief in a deity.

Universal disproof is impossible, so there is a certain inherent irrationality in the belief that there absolutely is no deity.  However, I know that a minority of atheists (and some on RRS) hold this belief.  I think it's splitting hairs, because I'm 99.99999999999999999999999999% sure that there are no gods, but I leave open the .0000000000000000000000000001% chance that I will be presented with evidence that will convince me that I'm wrong.

What's the practical difference?  Practically nothing.  However, theists are quick to pounce on the atheist who asserts categoricaly that there is no god.  Suddenly the burden of proof shifts, and the atheist finds himself unable to provide the proof.  This, of course does not prove that there IS a god, so again, it's splitting hairs for the sake of argument.

Books about atheism

Laker-taker
Laker-taker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:
Presumably, Huxley was using the greek, "gnosis" which is knowledge, unless I am mistaken.

So, with "a" meaning without, we basically get "without knowledge." Huxley, of course, was referring specifically to knowledge of god.

I don't know of any connection between the word agnostic and the gnosticism movement, which dates back to near the rise of Christianity, at least.

Correct. I believe Huxley was, with tongue in cheek of course, refering to the gnostics when he coined his term, though not intending his invention as a direct etymological descendant of the greek roots. That might provide some vague connection, but it wasn't used before Huxley in any case.

Pragmatic Pat wrote:
I think that an agnostic atheist is one for whom the existence of god is [inherently] unknowable, whilst an agnostic theist is one for who god exists, but believes that the nature of god is [inherently] unknowable.

Hambydammit wrote:
I think in colloquial usage, agnostic [-atheist/-theist] more often refers to a person who [lacks belief that/believes that] there is a god, but claims no further knowledge.

Yes. I think, PP, Hamby has the right angle. I'd say there are two ways to consider agnosticism. One is mere ignorance: "I don't know." ...bland agnosticism (or "weak" agnosticism, as some would call it). Another is the "unknowable" assertion, which undermines its own basis for making the assertion in the first place. This is not to be deprecating to the term, of course; I kind of like it, and it's origin is amusing. It's just that it has some quirks, imo.

I'm still wondering about that book title though... I vaguely remember something titled "The Case for Atheism," but I wonder if you are refering to George H. Smith's "Atheism: The Case Against God"?

Pragmatic Pat wrote:
Yes...like you said the lack of belief in 'wakawikalishion' gets classified as unconscious atheism, under the definition that atheism is a lack of belief in god/gods ...

As for the conscious atheism, that I have been provided with the alternative to pick god, people have a habit of coming up with the definition 'a belief in the lack of god' rather than a 'lack of belief in god'. However, I hold the latter definition to be more reasonable simply by studying the actual word. As has already been brought up, -a means without.

What you are calling "unconscious atheism," I would say is atheism in its entirety.

Pragmatic Pat
Pragmatic Pat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, before I go on, I stand

Yes, before I go on, I stand corrected yet again. The title of the book is Atheism: The Case Against God. I only briefly saw the book at my school library and had a quick leaf through it, so I didn't remember the exact title/author.

As for the exact definition of agnosticism, I suppose that this will change, depending on the opponent. But I think that it is a reasonable argument to make that agnosticism falls outside both theism and atheism, and technically cannot be called a 'halfway' point.

Quote:
What you are calling "unconscious atheism," I would say is atheism in its entirety.

Smith divides it into the two areas that I have already suggested (conscious and unconscious). He said the distinction was an important one because many 'conscious' atheists have quite wrongly cited their atheism as a 'belief in god's non-existence' or something similar. The problem with this is that it implies that there are arguments that exist against god, which atheists can further argue. Smith is making the point that by disproving any sort of argument for theism, we are in fact arguing for atheism at the same instant. Through the destruction of the theist's argument, the reasons behind an absence of belief become clear - lack of evidence.

Laker-taker
Laker-taker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pragmatic Pat wrote: Yes,

Pragmatic Pat wrote:
Yes, before I go on, I stand corrected yet again. The title of the book is Atheism: The Case Against God. I only briefly saw the book at my school library and had a quick leaf through it, so I didn't remember the exact title/author.

Aha! I would highly recommend that you check it out the next time you're there, or buy it; it's really an excellent argument against theism.

Pragmatic Pat wrote:
As for the exact definition of agnosticism, I suppose that this will change, depending on the opponent. But I think that it is a reasonable argument to make that agnosticism falls outside both theism and atheism, and technically cannot be called a 'halfway' point.

That's exactly right. There can be no middle ground in binary; it's either on or it's off, leaving "agnosticism" compatible with either part of the binary.

Pragmatic Pat wrote:
Smith divides it into the two areas that I have already suggested (conscious and unconscious).

Yes, the more common distinction is "strong" and "weak" (you'll probably see it used in the forum once or twice), but explicit/implicit, conscious/unconscious, positive/negative, or any number of other similar distinctions are used as well.

Pragmatic Pat wrote:
He said the distinction was an important one because many 'conscious' atheists have quite wrongly cited their atheism as a 'belief in god's non-existence' or something similar.

This is true; it is an important distinction to understand--i.e. the difference between 1) the meaning of "atheism" and 2) one asserting that "god does not exist." I depart from Smith and many others on the "strong/weak" classification as a viable solution though. I'll get into that later, but I still very much recommend checking out the book.

Pragmatic Pat wrote:
The problem with this is that it implies that there are arguments that exist against god, which atheists can further argue. Smith is making the point that by disproving any sort of argument for theism, we are in fact arguing for atheism at the same instant. Through the destruction of the theist's argument, the reasons behind an absence of belief become clear - lack of evidence.

Precisely. Smith's argument goes even farther than that.

In a nutshell, Hambydammit already went there:

"I cannot ask you to believe in a wakawikalishion before first explaining to you what it is."

If we are given no explanation of what a "wakawikalishion" is, then we are no better off than if we'd never heard the word uttered, in terms of believing that it objectively exists. It would be like explaining what a "dog" objectively exists as, to someone who doesn't already know what one is, by saying "you can train them to sit on command."

Without knowing what a dog is, any talk of it is effectively meaningless; if the theist cannot provide the "what god is" part, then all talk of it is effectively meaningless.

Broncosfan
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit: I'm

Hambydammit:

I'm relatively new here and I'm sure it's been addressed 1,000's of times before, but atheists and people of faith can both pounce on the other  side when they make a statement "there is a God / there is no God" for the simple reason that neither side can prove or disprove the existence of God.

Burden of proof...?? 

How could a theist POSSIBLY prove the existence of God..??

Who could prove it and what would even constitute proof..?? 

I don't beleive that the Catholic Church, for example, has EVER stated that God's existence can be proven - the Church only affirms that God's existence can be known with certainty.

You ask yourself - how is this possible.?? How can one know something with certainty, but not have proof..??

I have a dog - a 6 year German Shepherd named Jake  that I've had since he was a puppy - I can't prove that Jake loves me - but I know it with  certainty.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Does Jake the dog do

Does Jake the dog do anything extraordinary? Like smiting people, coming back from the dead after three days, or guaranteeing you heaven?

Does Jake the dog have disciples who profess to know his will?

Do you see? The two scenarios don't intermingle very well do they?

BTW, stop posting in freethinking anonymous. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.