My point of view

Asimov
Asimov's picture
User is offlineOffline
My point of view

I thank you for your action. It's always good to know you're not alone. Even though I am not sure to be atheist, I know I don't want to belong to any faith or to be indoctrinated. I have been raised in a christian environment but I have always found the stories of happy martyrs who would sacrifice themselves for others quite boring. And going to church was like going to hell : an hour of doing nothing.

I think it is important culturally to now what the bible is about, but I think it would be better if the people who teach it weren't presenting it as proven facts. From my point of view, religion is a prison for the mind. It allows you to feel you are part of a greater community. But it also brings prejudice and a feeling of superiority over non-believers. Hence the massacre of Indians in Amazonia because they couldn't be converted. Or nowadays the religion war between Islam and Christianity.

I'm 17 and I live in France. Here when we think of fanaticism it refers on the one hand to Al Qaeda and on the other hand to the image of America portrayed in Borat. If religion could be abolished, we would save a lot of money (not paying priests) and could provide housing for many (using old churches).

Religion is often linked with charity. But I don't think fear of going to hell is a good motivation for helping other people. Religion is also said to be a light in the darkness and to bring hope. But I'm sure that children in poor countries would be happier if we built them schools instead of churchs and bought them science books instead of bibles...

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! You sound like

Welcome! You sound like you'll fit in quite well with the regulars here.

DoubleB
RRS local affiliate
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard.  I'm

Welcome aboard.  I'm looking forward to reading more about your views.  It's always cool to read posts from like-minded people from outside the U.S.

BB

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Asimov! We're

Welcome Asimov!

We're becoming a wonderful international community here on the RRS forums.  

We look forward to your posts and input. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Something I think shouldn't

Something I think shouldn't be missed in your post is that many Europeans look at Americans as not too far removed from Al Qaeda.  That should be enough to open some eyes, if you ask me.

There is such a big part of me that wants to sell everything I own and move out of this (pardon my French) God-Forsaken Hell-Hole of a country, but alas, I have a mortgage, a business, and no citizenship anywhere else.

(sigh) 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Asimov
Asimov's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would say that we see the

I would say that we see the United States through the eyes of the media. There was a lot of fuss about Bush refering to god and crusade when he was  talking about war in Irak (such statements would have been impossible in France due to our principle of "Laïcité&quotEye-wink.

But even though Europe's believing population is shrinking, (did you read the 12th of February issue of Newsweek? It was on the fact that European churches where being turned into housing, restaurants or clubs), I wouldn't be surprised if a surge in religiosity occured in response to tensions with other religious groups.