The promised virgins

KLJ
KLJ's picture
User is offlineOffline
The promised virgins

On one of my stand up clips on youtube I referenced the many virgins that a certain religion promises. The following comment appeared tonight: 

"The "virgin" thing is urban legend. Thier is nothing in Islamic scripture that guarentees "virgins" for martyrdom. And "martyrdom" and jihad (an altogether different term) in Islam has nothing to do with killing non-Muslims. That's another urban legend."

Any Islam experts know the truth here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6ZpPdEZvao is where the video and comment can be found.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
The idea that a martry will

The idea that a martry will recieve 70 virgins in heaven is an etymological myth that spread from word of mouth, much like the rest of religion lol.

The original translation of that particular word in the Qur'an is hur. This has been tagged as meaning "white raisins" in the context that "when a believer enters the Garden of Heaven, they will be granted a land of flowing milk and honey and 70 white raisins". The context of this seemingly strange passage is that in 7th century Arabia, such treats were considered a luxury.

Somehow, the word hur managed to enter the lexicon as "dark eyed virgin". Perhaps the suicide bombers should focus on getting laid in the real world, instead of learning how to brandish an Ak47 without it getting caught in their floor length beard.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you knew how good white

If you knew how good white raisins tasted, you'd understand.  Your life is definitely worth 70 of those heavenly little shriveled things. 

At least I guess so.  I've never tasted them myself, I'm just keeping an open mind... 

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Allex Spires
Allex Spires's picture
User is offlineOffline
White raisins kick ass.

White raisins kick ass.

Blind_Man
Blind_Man's picture
User is offlineOffline
حور مقصورات

حور مقصورات في الخيام

Hoorun maqsooratun fee alkhiyami

Fair ones, close-guarded in pavilions

QURAN - [055:072]

وحور عين

Wahoorun AAeenun

And (there are) fair ones with wide, lovely eyes,

QURAN - [056:022]

---

"It was mentioned by Daraj Ibn Abi Hatim, that Abu al-Haytham 'Adullah Ibn Wahb narrated from Abu Sa'id al-Khudhri, who heard the Prophet Muhammad (Allah's blessings and peace be upon him) saying, 'The smallest reward for the people of Heaven is an abode where there are eighty thousand servants and seventy two wives, over which stands a dome decorated with pearls, aquamarine and ruby, as wide as the distance from al-Jabiyyah to San'a.

-Hadith (Imam at-Tirmidhi)

It's been pushed even more, among some groups. This is NOT a myth.

===

I hope I've helped. Let me know if you need more, or more specific.

Jazzak Al-Kafiroona Khair

-Blind_Man

http://www.faithfreedom.org/ 109:6 لكم دينكم ولي دين 109:6 「貴方々には,貴方々の宗教があり,私には,私の宗教があるのである。」 109:6 "Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion."

mouse
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:

deludedgod wrote:

The idea that a martry will recieve 70 virgins in heaven is an etymological myth that spread from word of mouth, much like the rest of religion lol.

The original translation of that particular word in the Qur'an is hur. This has been tagged as meaning "white raisins" in the context that "when a believer enters the Garden of Heaven, they will be granted a land of flowing milk and honey and 70 white raisins". The context of this seemingly strange passage is that in 7th century Arabia, such treats were considered a luxury.

Somehow, the word hur managed to enter the lexicon as "dark eyed virgin". Perhaps the suicide bombers should focus on getting laid in the real world, instead of learning how to brandish an Ak47 without it getting caught in their floor length beard.

hur means virgin in arabic. a western linguist (christoph luxenberg) provided the argument that some words in the Quran if read as Syriac (hur means white in Syriac, and apparently raisinis understood implicitly) rather than Arabic would clear up some of the unsavory/confusing aspects of the Quran.

Ethics and aesthetics are one
-Wittgenstein

mouse
User is offlineOffline
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sa

http://www.guardian.co.uk/saturday_review/story/0,3605,631332,00.html

also, luxenberg published without giving his name, fearing that there would be retaliation by some muslims for his published reading of the quran.  most muslim scholars read houri as virgin, not raisin.

Ethics and aesthetics are one
-Wittgenstein

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
very well, I rescind my

very well, I rescind my statement, I am no expert in Middle Eastern etymology. I'm impressed. They are fucking crazy. Completely insane.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Allex Spires
Allex Spires's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: very

deludedgod wrote:
very well, I rescind my statement, I am no expert in Middle Eastern etymology. I'm impressed. They are fucking crazy. Completely insane.

Not insane, brainwashed beyond belief, into belief beyond belief. 

All expires.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Of course. that is the

Of course. that is the scariest part. Those men on September 11th...They weren't stupid or crazy, they had no mental illness, they weren't evil or insane, or depressed. They were men of faith. PERFECT FAITH. There is nothing worse in the world.

-Me

Books about atheism

Blind_Man
Blind_Man's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can't agree more,

I can't agree more, deluded. If I may, here are some 'examples' of faith, and where the martyrs may have gotten such ideas...

"Know that the paradises have been ornamented for you with the most beautiful of its ornaments and the women of paradise are calling upon you to come forth oh you friend of Allah and she has worn the best of it's ornaments."

"You will be entering the happiest life, everlasting life."

-Lettter from Muhammad Atta

===

Quran 004:074

Let those fight in the way of Allah who sell the life of this world for the other. Whoso fighteth in the way of Allah, be he slain or be he victorious, on him We shall bestow a vast reward.
===
Sunan Abu Dawud Book 014, Number 2516
Narrated AbudDarda': The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: The intercession of a martyr will be accepted for seventy members of his family.(On the Day of Judgement)
-Notice here. Hell is the WORST place you can go, so you want to do ANYTHING you can to safegard yourself from it. You also want to protect your family. What will GUARENTEE paradise? Martyrdom
===
Sahih Bukhari Volume 004, Book 052, Number 063
Narrated Al-Bara: A man whose face was covered with an iron mask (i.e. clad in armor) came to the Prophet and said, "O Allah's Apostle! Shall I fight or embrace Islam first? "The Prophet said, "Embrace Islam first and then fight." So he embraced Islam, and was martyred. Allah's Apostle said, A Little work, but a great reward. "(He did very little (after embracing Islam), but he will be rewarded in abundance)."
===
Sahih Muslim Book 020, Number 4678
It has been reported on the authority of Jabir that a man said: Messenger of Allah, where shall I be if I am killed? He replied: In Paradise. The man threw away the dates he had in his hand and fought until he was killed (i. e. he did not wait until he could finish the dates).
In the version of the tradition narrated by Suwaid we have the words:" A man said to the Holy Prophet (may peace be upon him). on the day of Uhud......"
-There's NO WAY I can 'misread' this Hadith.
===
Jazzak Al-Kafiroona Khair
-Blind_Man

http://www.faithfreedom.org/ 109:6 لكم دينكم ولي دين 109:6 「貴方々には,貴方々の宗教があり,私には,私の宗教があるのである。」 109:6 "Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion."

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote: If you

zarathustra wrote:

If you knew how good white raisins tasted, you'd understand. Your life is definitely worth 70 of those heavenly little shriveled things.

At least I guess so. I've never tasted them myself, I'm just keeping an open mind...

But 70 for the rest of infinity? How do you plan when you eat them?

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ophios wrote:   But 70 for

Ophios wrote:

You chew very slowly.  Mmmm...raisins.... 

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote: Ophios

zarathustra wrote:
Ophios wrote:

You chew very slowly. Mmmm...raisins....

Well you could cut a raisin in half, cut that in half, cut it in half, continue on to infinity. And when infinity is over you still have 69 and a half raisins left. 

AImboden wrote:

AModestProposal
AModestProposal's picture
User is offlineOffline
For the record, it's 72

For the record, it's 72 virgins they're promised. And that's not a myth. Here's a site which explains where this comes from: http://www.citizensoldier.org/72virgins.html

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
How do you make 72 virgins

How do you make 72 virgins last for all eternity?

I mean, I can make a turkey last for a week but... oh wait, not food. 

AImboden wrote:

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ophios, you're not allowed

Ophios, you're not allowed to have sex before marriage, so just don't marry any of them and they'll stay virgins forever.

It's paradise... or something...

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Ophios,

Hambydammit wrote:

Ophios, you're not allowed to have sex before marriage, so just don't marry any of them and they'll stay virgins forever.

It's paradise... or something...

Heaven is 72 stepford wives behind glass. 

AImboden wrote:

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've never quite understood

I've never quite understood what good 72 virgins would be.

If they stay virgins, what's the point of having them?

If they don't stay virgins, the martyr only get to have sex 72 times for all
eternity.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd hate to have to "break in" (no pun intended) 72 inexperienced virgins. I'd much rather have one that knew what they were doing.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'd rather have 72 sluts.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: I'd

MattShizzle wrote:

Only extra-special martyrs get those.