A lot of religionists are, quite frankly, stupid.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
A lot of religionists are, quite frankly, stupid.

God, I hate the title of this thread. I don't like feeling prejudice against groups of people, but I can't help but notice that fundy Christians (and, interestingly, people who still support Bush [the same people???]) tend to be, well, stupid. They can't spell. They can't put together a cogent sentence. They can't put together a decent argument. They are illogical.

Of course, this isn't always the case because there are religionists who are quite intelligent, far more intelligent than I. However, the general trend I see is that theists tend to be less intelligent. I believe this is supported by a couple of studies. I'm sorry, but I can't remember the studies or give you an addy...maybe someone else can help me here. I would be happy to be proven wrong.

I would be happy to be proven wrong because if theists do tend to be less intelligent, I'm not sure we can ever take the fangs out of religion. If a great many theists aren't terribly bright, logic certainly won't sway them. Add in the "comfort factor" of religion and it looks even more bleak.

I'm really tired of looking at terribly-written diatribes written by right-wing fundy nutcases. *sigh* It seems like I've spent the last six years on forums looking at such abominations of the written word.

Somebody encourage me or tell me that even these people can be reached...or at least made to understand they are fucking idiots and should keep their mouths and keyboards silent so they don't end up looking like the fools they are. Or better yet: Convince me that a large majority of theists don't have room temperature IQs.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ultimately, I don't know

Ultimately, I don't know that it can be admitted as a factor in the discussion.  I'll readily concede that Francis Collins is smarter than I, and frankly understands science better than I do.  Nonetheless, by some abominable lapse of logic, he reconciles science in its full scope and breadth, with the god of the bible.  Sure, much of the fundy hate mail appears to bubble up from the bottom of the food chain, but nonetheless it appears that intelligence does not guarantee you common sense.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote: Sure,

zarathustra wrote:
Sure, much of the fundy hate mail appears to bubble up from the bottom of the food chain, but nonetheless it appears that intelligence does not guarantee you common sense.

I'm hoping that the hate mail and illiterate forum entries are the work of a few idiots.  I would rather not be right in seeing this as a trend.  

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.