Atheist music and movies?

voltaire28
User is offlineOffline
Atheist music and movies?

Hello everyone,

I apologize if a similar thread is already in existence, but I'm new to this forum! I'm interested in finding music and movies that have atheist or anti-religious themes.  Unfortunately, even a lot of the so-called "blasphemous" movies I've seen stop short of attacking the existence of god.  For example, movies like "Saved!" and "Dogma" aren't really as radical as they appear to be at first.  Both films opt in the end to uphold the values of liberal, "moderate" Christianity.  Even "Jesus Camp" contrasts the crazy mullet-wearing fundamentalists with a liberal Christian talk show host.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed all of these films to some extent, but I'm looking for more unapologetically atheist films and music (any genre).

Thanks in advance for all suggestions! 

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
I rented a movie from

I rented a movie from Blockbuster tonight titled "The Ten". It's a comedy of sketches about the Ten Commandments.

One scene has Jesus' second coming but instead of bringing about the Rapture, he has wild sex and then finally gets a job. It's funny.

TV Guide Movie Review says: "Everyone involved seems to have been operating from the presumption that gross and blasphemous equals hilarious."

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

MacProudhon
MacProudhon's picture
User is offlineOffline
RickRebel wrote: I rented

RickRebel wrote:

I rented a movie from Blockbuster tonight titled "The Ten". It's a comedy of sketches about the Ten Commandments.

One scene has Jesus' second coming but instead of bringing about the Rapture, he has wild sex and then finally gets a job. It's funny.

TV Guide Movie Review says: "Everyone involved seems to have been operating from the presumption that gross and blasphemous equals hilarious."

I saw that film and was torn between thinking it was either hilarious or moronic but couldn't decide which. 

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Jesus Was Way Cool  

Jesus Was Way Cool   -  King Missile

Download. Now. 

funknotik
atheist
funknotik's picture
User is offlineOffline
Heresy- NIN is the all time

Heresy- NIN is the all time greatest blasphemy song!

Your god is dead and no one cares, if there is a hell I'll see you there.

Opiate- Tool

Choices always were a problem for you what you need some someone strong to guide you. Deaf and dumb and blind and born to follow, let me lay my holly hand upon you. - tool

Judith- A Perfect Circle

Fuck your god, your lord, your christ!!

Thos are the three greatest blasphemy songs of human history!  

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
MacProudhon wrote: I

MacProudhon wrote:
I actually love Sufjan Stevens music, and he is very religious. I always combat it with something like Bad Religion afterwards though. Anti-Flag have some pretty good anti-clericalist lyrics too. 

Sufjan Stevens creeps me out.  I never knew why but he just did.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

CircleK
CircleK's picture
User is offlineOffline
A Perfect Circle and Tool

A Perfect Circle and Tool (and I guess Puscifer by extension) are both anti-religious. Look at the lyrics to the song Judith. There's a line that goes "Fuck your God, your lord and your Christ" and a bit more.

JESTERKING45
User is offlineOffline
I've poste about this on at

I've poste about this on at least one other site but I thought it was worth mentioning again. In the video game Star Ocean III there's a character who claims to be an atheist.

Cliff Fittir - Cliff fights with fist gauntlets, rejecting blades or guns. In a conversation in a cathedral with Fayt, Cliff claims to be an atheist. He is voiced by Hiroki Touchi in the Japanese version and Dave Wittenberg in the U.S. version.

Also Resident Evil 4 seems pretty anti religious. At one point Leon says that alongside money that "faith" wouln't get you anywhere.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hey Sapient ,  some

Hey Sapient ,  some favorite songs, a short list, the ones you play on the cam shows, when you got time bro, good funny tunes for the neighbors here !

, and hey Kelly , be extra nice to Brian , he's 'just' a man .... 

Freedom Ringin .... ahhh hells bells, I worship the serpent !

mo_dingo
mo_dingo's picture
User is offlineOffline
funknotik wrote: Heresy-

funknotik wrote:

Opiate- Tool

Choices always were a problem for you what you need some someone strong to guide you. Deaf and dumb and blind and born to follow, let me lay my holly hand upon you. - tool

Judith- A Perfect Circle

You took the damn words right out my mouth!!! I just started listening to Tool (since childhood) and I never really payed attention to Opiate's lyrics until now. I love it!!!!!

A skit on a Aenima:  "See, I think drugs have done some good things for us, I really do, and if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor. Go home tonight and take all your albums, all your tapes, and all your CDs and burn 'em. Cause you know what? The musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years? Rrrrreal fuckin' high on drugs."

Unfortunately I think we can apply the same skit to religion in music. So much of the music I love comes from artists who are thiests. Maybe the truly creative ones are simply succeptable to religious dogma. Obviously not true in all cases. Very unfortunate!!!

When devils will the blackest sins put on, they do suggest, at first, with heavenly shows - Othello

ga5speed02
ga5speed02's picture
User is offlineOffline
funknotik wrote:

funknotik wrote:

Opiate- Tool

Judith- A Perfect Circle

You beat me to it. I was going to say, all theses great bands and songs and no one mentioned Heresy by Nine Inch Nails. IMO that is a great song and prolly THEE most anti-religious song. One of the best lines ever.

Also to the others, you meantioned great bands...

Bad Religion (see my avatar) Laughing out loud

Tool, APC, SLAYER, NIN, Dead Kennedys, NOFX, Rancid

I would like to add hatebreed to this list. I think they would fit beacuse they are all about self preservation. To me, that takes a stance against religion. not to mention they just plan kick ass Smiling

Oh and Life of Brian, great movie

Dogma is one of my fav movies. Kevin Smith is a genous 

Hey I don't know if the billions will survive, But Ill believe in God when 1 and 1 are 5 - Greg Graffin

ga5speed02
ga5speed02's picture
User is offlineOffline
I almost forgot about this

I almost forgot about this great line form Nine Inch Nails.  Song is called 'Wish' from the 'Broken' EP

i put my faith in god and my trust in you
now there's nothing more fucked up i could do

Hey I don't know if the billions will survive, But Ill believe in God when 1 and 1 are 5 - Greg Graffin

MyDogCole
MyDogCole's picture
User is offlineOffline
RATIO (Australia)  

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." ~ Abraham Lincoln

funknotik
atheist
funknotik's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think EL P of company

I think EL P of company flow fame is probably atheist. He has a song called FLYENTOLOGY with Trent Reznor that discusses how people only use religion out of fear. IN it he sais "there is no intellect in the air."

Video for Flyentology

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2dBqGINeDvg 

Aesop Rock has a song called Holy smokes criticizing catholicism.

Heres a link to a recent live show I was at 

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YXkpXq_6ORM 

Lyrics:

Just a little bruise in the back of the pews
Acting amused with a mask on them Vatican blues
For in the eyes of the organization I was raised in
Aes is just another sining-brick in Hell's basement
Cubicle adjacent to the killers and rapists
For what? Drugs and fucking, It's part of growing up
Like cups over dumb shits better than the schools
I'm not an asshole I'm just a little confused
Just a lit fuse in the back of the pews
Watching a thousand flavors of the same God feud
I figure ultimate-peace is the common theme
So its a no-brainer piece when the blood hit the screen
Got a basic good and evil sensibility born
Good neighbor know a halo when it fit over  horns
 Im more science than faith, tim more the karma than bread and booze

Two awesome blasphemous song. 

funknotik
atheist
funknotik's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think EL P of company

I think EL P of company flow fame is probably atheist. He has a song called FLYENTOLOGY with Trent Reznor that discusses how people only use religion out of fear. IN it he sais "there is no intellect in the air."

Video for Flyentology

Aesop Rock has a song called Holy smokes criticizing catholicism.

Heres a link to a recent live show I was at 

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YXkpXq_6ORM 

Lyrics:

Just a little bruise in the back of the pews
Acting amused with a mask on them Vatican blues
For in the eyes of the organization I was raised in
Aes is just another sining-brick in Hell's basement
Cubicle adjacent to the killers and rapists
For what? Drugs and fucking, It's part of growing up
Like cups over dumb shits better than the schools
Just a lit fuse in the back of the pews
Watching a thousand flavors of the same God feud
I figure ultimate-peace is the common theme
So its a no-brainer piece when the blood hit the screen
Got a basic good and evil sensibility born
Good neighbor know a halo when it fit over  horns
 Im more science than faith, tim more the karma than bread and booze

Two awesome blasphemous song. 

Dray
User is offlineOffline
Bad Religion... gotta love

Bad Religion... gotta love em.

If youre interested in something other than punk or hard rock, Greg Graffin of Bad Religion started his own "folk" group that is just as against religion as Bad Religion.

Also, theres a group from Whales you may have heard of called the Super Furry Animals.  Although I dont think they are officially outed as Atheists, its apparent in their music what they think of religion and Christianity.  I would suggest listening to the song "Run Christian, Run" or "God, Show Me Magic".  The type of music has been classified as psychadelia, whatever that is, but its basically rock.

David Byrne also seems to be non-religious, although I think he wouldnt consider himself an atheist either.  Songs like "A Walk in the Dark" and "Gates of Paradise" seem to poke fun at religion.  But I may be wrong, his songs sometimes dont make alot of sense.

Rob P
Rob P's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Dwarves have some good

The Dwarves have some good atheistic music, plus their tunes just kick-ass in general.

As has been said, a lot of metal is anti-christian, and even atheist - if you consider Laveyan Satanism a branch of atheism. I tend not to for several reasons, but that's just me. Either way, check out  Emperor. They might take some getting used to, but once you "get it," they slay.

not about to see your light...

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
voltaire28 wrote: Hello

voltaire28 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I apologize if a similar thread is already in existence, but I'm new to this forum! I'm interested in finding music and movies that have atheist or anti-religious themes. Unfortunately, even a lot of the so-called "blasphemous" movies I've seen stop short of attacking the existence of god. For example, movies like "Saved!" and "Dogma" aren't really as radical as they appear to be at first. Both films opt in the end to uphold the values of liberal, "moderate" Christianity. Even "Jesus Camp" contrasts the crazy mullet-wearing fundamentalists with a liberal Christian talk show host. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed all of these films to some extent, but I'm looking for more unapologetically atheist films and music (any genre).

Thanks in advance for all suggestions!

The most brutal attack on christianity in a popular movie would be the original Planet of the Apes. I like pointing this out because 1) many theists love the movie and miss it and 2) charlton heston, the star, is a theist.  

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

m_man21 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
no one has mentioned Greydon

no one has mentioned Greydon Square, or Syqnys (only found on myspace under "syq") ,
they are both rappers, very good, syq is awsome, i would highly recommend them if your looking for atheist rap

Zymotic
Superfan
Zymotic's picture
User is offlineOffline
funknotik wrote: I think

funknotik wrote:

Video for Flyentology

He also says "there are no atheists in foxholes" in that song.  

My Brand New Blog - Jesu Ad Nauseum.
God of the Gaps: As knowledge approaches infinity, God approaches zero. It's introductory calculus.

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rob P wrote:The Dwarves have

Rob P wrote:

The Dwarves have some good atheistic music, plus their tunes just kick-ass in general.

As has been said, a lot of metal is anti-christian, and even atheist - if you consider Laveyan Satanism a branch of atheism. I tend not to for several reasons, but that's just me. Either way, check out Emperor. They might take some getting used to, but once you "get it," they slay.

The ones who're into Satanism because the rituals are fun and interesting to take part in but aren't superstitious I'm cool with. The one's who think that Lavey was some kind of warlock, on the other hand, can be just as bad if not worse than a "moderate" theist.

theotherguy
theotherguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Some of my music has

Some of my music has atheistic overtones, but I've never really written a song with an explicitly atheistic message. Why? Because I'm still "in the closet", or at least I know the last atheist song I wrote "Don't Believe" was picked up by my mother and resulted in her threatening to sell all of my musical instruments and recording equipment.

My latest song definatley has an underlying atheistic message:

www.kittsplace.com/klingenco/Weonlysee.mp3

Lyrics:

VERSE 1
Everyone knows the answers
They think they know the truth
From the oldest man to the dumbest youth
And everybody lives in a sea of wool
Nobody thinks they’re a fool

They invent their religions
They invent their own rules
And when they’ve made it all up
They’ve got figured it out for good
They’ve got their explanations
But when things go wrong
They let themselves down
For far too long

CHORUS
You only see what you want to see
It’s tainted by
The bias in your own mind
You only see what you  want to see
It’s sullied by
The preconceptions in inside
You only see what you want to see
The world out there is just
The world in your mind

VERSE 2
We think we’re prone to reason
We think ourselves real
We think the truth
From us nobody can steal
But when the proof
Stares us in the face
We leave it all behind
Not in this place
We cage up everybody
With different skin
We burn down the world
And everyone within
Nobody is happy
Because everybody wants
To be right
When they’re actually wrong

CHORUS

funknotik
atheist
funknotik's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zymotic wrote:funknotik

Zymotic wrote:
funknotik wrote:

Video for Flyentology

He also says "there are no atheists in foxholes" in that song.

"If there are no Atheists in foxholes, then without religion, war is impossible." It was a statement made by him in an interview. I think he turned around the conotation of the phrase "atheists in foxholes to mean something different. Although traditionally it would be a statement against religion.

I think this is exactly what this song is saying explicitly... this has nothing to do with atheists actually going to war. It has to do with who is being coerced into fighting bullshit wars... which more often then not, ironically, is the religious. Follow what comes after that. "There is No intellect in the air, there are no scientists on the way down, just another example of faith vs physics."

Ni9htmar3r
User is offlineOffline
There Will Be Blood has a

There Will Be Blood has a rather hilarious anti-christian scene towards the end

And the song 'Knights Of Cydonia' by Muse has a line that goes "I'll show you a god who falls asleep on the job"

Coprolal1an
Coprolal1an's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just saw this on jamendo

Just saw this on jamendo today:

Out of Tune - God is a Coward (http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/6925)

Quote:

Like a father who only loves his offspring
if they grow up the exact way he dreams
God shoves his morals down our puny mortal throats
No justification, just his words

God is just a coward
refuses to nurse his children
God is a narcissist
rewards only his followers

With great power comes great responsibility
Even Peter Parker had to learn that
Omnipotence equals omni-responsibility
but God refuses to acknowledge it

Unless God promises to start taking equal care of all parts of his creation,
regardless of their religious or ideological stances,
we must demand God to surrender all of his power
back to every individual entity inhabiting this universe!

@Rob P:

To the best of my knowledge, LaVeyan satanism is theistic in the sense that they worship themselves as gods.  It seems more like a set of philosophical beliefs than an actual religion.  The rituals themselves seem to often be the organized equivalent of punching a pillow or using a stressball when you're mad.

max webster
max webster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheist songs

Well, I think you should check out these guys "the exalted piledriver". One of the songs on the new album is "God, you're stupid" and it deals with the crimes churches have committed against humanity.

Frank Zappa was known for asking governments to "Tax the churches. Tax the business's owned by the churches." A profound man who is much missed.

Rush has a song on their new album that spells it out plainly:

"The Way The Wind Blows"

Now it's come to this
It's like we're back in the Dark Ages
From the Middle East to the Middle West
It's a world of superstition

Now it's come to this
Wide-eyed armies of the faithful
Pray, and pass the ammunition

So many people think that way
You gotta watch what you say
To them and them, and others too
Who don't seem to see to things the way you do

We can only grow the way the wind blows
on a bare and weathered shore
We can only bow to the here and now
In our elemental war

We can only go the way the wind blows
We can only bow to the here and now
Or be broken down blow by blow

Now it's come to this
Hollow speeches of mass deception
Like crusaders in a holy alliance

Now it's come to this
Like we're back in the dark ages
It's a plague that resists all science

It seems to leave them partly blind
And they leave no child behind
While evil spirits haunt their sleep
While shepherds bless and count their sheep

Like the solitary pine
On a bare wind blasted shore
We can only grow the way the wind blows

God, you're stupid.

astro
astro's picture
User is offlineOffline
something worth looking into

I play in a band that focuses on mostly that.

Skullgrind Bloodbath

myspace.com/sgbb666

It's a death metal band and I don't know if you'll like it.

We're recording our demo tomorrow actually.

We mainly focus on the hypocrisy and ridiculous

claims people of faith make. As well as some NOT pretty ways of getting rid of

religion altogether. We also bring about ideas of a better future

which would be without religion and so on.

Lyrics are present but hard to understand for most people.

As our band gets bigger and we can get them copyrighted we'll have them up

or just for  people that feel as we do

about the world.

We also hope to raise consciousness around here

rather than just say "fuck god".

I also recommend playing

Star Ocean:Till the End of Time Director's Cut

beautiful game

it shows a type of never ending regression type of story

but I dont want to ruin the story.

play it

you'll love it

it's for the PS2

The movie Religilous looks promising

if it even comes out.

Yes, Life of Bryan is a good one.

more bands:

CATTLE DECAPITATION

[personal favorite, a song which clearly speaks out against

religion is Unintelligent Design]

Vital Remains

Suicide Silence

Deicide

Anti-Flag

Bad Religion

John Lennon

Greydon Square

The Black Dahlia Murder

Hoobastank [singer is an atheist]

Propagandhi

Intestinal Strangulation

Dissection

those are just some

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  Thanks astro , LOUDER ! 

Thanks astro , LOUDER !  I like it .... as I do hang in the forest , when I can  ....  where I think on the city,  from where I came  .....  born in Hollywood ? .....  Amazing I IS , as you .....    

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Oh, Lord, Please Don't Burn

Oh, Lord, Please Don't Burn Us

“O Lord, please don't burn us.
Don't grill or toast your flock.
Don't put us on the barbecue
Or simmer us in stock.
Don't braise or bake or boil us
Or stir-fry us in a wok

Oh, please don't lightly poach us
Or baste us with hot fat.
Don't fricassee or roast us
Or boil us in a vat,
And please don't stick thy servants, Lord,
In a Rotissomat”-- Composed by Eric Idle and John Du Prez, authored by Graham Chapman and John Cleese

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I checked my music folder if

I checked my music folder if anything would fit here, and...not really. It's all mushrooms and psychoactive plants there, and tribes, aliens, if chemistry, then acid, if communication, then telepathy, if religion, then paganic, if a scientist, then Terrence McKenna, if science, then a quartz, contained in a mystical crystal skull. Everything oriented towards New Age, very psychedelic, or completely abstract and undescribable.

However, maybe I found something. The famous
Juno Reactor - Labyrinth
It's basically a musical survey into the times of South America's violent conquest by christianic conquistadors and inquisitors. JR can make things interesting, it's not only an electronic music, but also latin chorals, some english (and german) singing, some tribal singing (  sometimes even snarling and screaming, heavy-metal compatible Smiling ) and in the end there's even a bit of india culture. (om shanti)
The album is pretty obviously putting together a sinister atmosphere of christianic genocide. But not only that, it's very diverse composition of trance (or techno), metal, choral, orchestral and ethnic music, sometimes everything in one track. Maybe some people would consider this album bizarre, and they would be right, but maybe it would be interesting to try something different than mere lyrics + some background music, this is rather like a piece of art, uncommon music for uncommon people.

Death and nature will be astounded,
when all creation rises again,
to answer the judgement.
A book will be brought forth,
in which all will be written,
by which the world will be judged.

That day of tears and mourning,
when from the ashes shall arise,
all humanity to be judged.
Spare us by your mercy, Lord.

- Conquistador part I, the first song on the album, sang in Latin

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Period
User is offlineOffline
Not atheists, but may

Not atheists, but may appeal: Coil started as a Post-Industrial duo in the early 80s. Their first official release, the 'How to Destroy Angels,' EP, was described as "ritual music for the accumulation of male sexual energy."

Both Jhonn Balance and Peter Christopherson were unapologetic homosexual pagans with a knack for creating potent surrealistic soundscapes inspired by their drug-induced escapades in self-described perverse sexual practices and evolving esoteric philosophies. Floating members included rent boys, an alleged alien entity and the current head of the OTO, William Breeze. They apparently recorded with William Burroughs, but those recordings have never appeared and it seems unlikely since Balance, the leader of the group, died a few years ago.

They were arguably the first group to release a benefit album for HIV/AIDS in '84, I think... it was a cover of Tainted Love. They filmed a video of a young man dying from the illness in hospital which was, at the time, declared so disturbing it was branded as homophobic propaganda.

Coil would eventually inspire a wide array of musicians and artists in popular culture. Trent Reznor, a huge fan of their work, commissioned Christopherson to direct several of NIN's music videos. Danny Carey of Tool mentioned their Time Machines album as one of his favorites. Coil were even partly responsible for the design of Clive Barker's cenobites in Hellraiser. They showed him his first bondage/piercing mags, even recorded a soundtrack for the film which was dropped after an American studio decided to finance.

Peter Christopherson, before joining Coil, was responsible for album artwork of bands such as Pink Floyd (Wish You Were Here), The Alan Parson's Project (Tales of Mystery...), as well as creating the window displays of the Sex shop in London and some of the earliest photos of the Sex Pistols that involved them in bondage gear. When someone pointed out ot he group that Christopherson was homosexual and that bondage was, at that point a "gay thing" they decided to reject the pics. How extreme of the punks...

Has anyone seen Seven? The version of Closer that opens the film is, by Reznor's own admission, more accurately a Coil song with NIN samples than a proper remix.

In interviews they stated that they hate Christianity. A few years ago when the group's friend and frontman of apocalyptic folk group Current 93, David Tibet, finally came out of the closet as a self-professed Heretic, anti-Roman Catholic, Balance apparent reply was, "I hate Tibet's religion."

David Tibet describes himself as Christian, however most Christians would despise his take on the religion. His dense lyrics read like a collaborative effort between James Joyce and William Blake attempting to rewrite The Revelation of St John. His vocal delivery reminds me of that creepy evangelist from Poltergeist II. In spite of his professed faith, Tibet is currently an Outer Head of the Order of the OTO (re: Aleister Crowley). Floating members of Current 93 include Baby Dee - a transexual harpist and accordion player, Antony - from Antony and the Johnsons, Attila Cheshire - singer from Black Metal group Mayhem, and a number of others who are not Christians. I've met Tibet a few times and his take on Christianity is compelling to say the least.

I think I read, in a previous post, someone claiming that Tool is anti-religious. That is inaccurate, Tool appears to dismiss organized religion as unnecessary, but they are still very spiritual. Qabbalah, anyone? Also, Trent Reznor is not an atheist. I don't have the time to search, but in at least two interviews conducted after the release of The Downward Spiral he admitted that he believes in God, just not popular religion's God.

Other notable mentions:

Comus, Virgin Prunes, Nurse With Wound, Throbbing Gristle, Swans, Angels of Light, Katharsis, Deathspell Omega's last three albums, early Lustmord, early Skinny Puppy, Meshuggah, Baby Dee ("Jesus got my mom in there and beat her up so bad/he beat her up so bad/ who will save us now that god's gone mad?/ Jesus got my mom in there and beat her up so bad&quotEye-wink I babble. Someone shut me up, already.

"'My dear,' Madame Delbene replied, 'the universe runs itself, and the eternal laws inherent in Nature suffice, without any first cause or prime mover, to produce all that is and all that we know; the perpetual movement of matter explains everything: why need we supply a motor to that which is ever in motion? The universe is an assemblage of unlike entities which act and react mutually and successively with and against each other; I discern no start, no finish, no fixed boundaries, this universe I see only as an incessant passing from one state into another, and within it only particular beings which forever change shape and form, but I acknowledge no universal cause behind and distinct from the universe and which gives it existence and which procures the modifications in the particular beings composing it... the absolute contrary holds... We need not fret if we find nothing to substitute for chimeras, and above all let us never accept as cause for what we do not comprehend something else we comprehend even less." - Marquis de Sade, Juliette, pg. 43.

Period
User is offlineOffline
I apologize for the

I apologize for the formatting above. My bad.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  Hey Period , use the edit

Hey Period , use the edit button, at bottom of your post and fix it etc.  ..... I could even copy/paste it here and edit it ....  "we have the technology" !    

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Kristen Lems - Days of the

Kristen Lems - Days of the Theocracy:

First they fight abortion, birth control is next,
Then comes sex if you’re not married, finally, out goes sex
Put the prayers back in the schools, install parochiaid
Allow for corporal punishment, and then you got it made!

We’re going back, back to the good ole days
When men were really men and women knew their place
Back, back a couple of centuries
And welcome back the days of the theocracy

The family is so holy, there must be no divorce
And if a wife is not content, she must adjust, of course
And if he’s forced to beat her, it’s all for her own good
She must know what her limits are, as any woman should

The next to go is daycare, it’s all a commit plot
What could be more fulfilling than a child, wanted or not?
A woman’s work is housework, God wanted it that way
A salaried job degrades her since she never works for pay

We’re going back, back to the good ole days
When men were really men and women knew their place
Back, back a couple of centuries
And welcome back the days of the theocracy

They teach us women’s lot is "love honor and obey"
And while their crusty notions seem like jokes to us today
They’re sitting in the Capitol, they’re voting on our lives
If we don’t stop them now, our freedom will not long survive

No going back..to the bad ole days...let's go ahead for future centuries,

And build a world that’s based on true democracy
And build a world that’s based on true equality
Ah – person!

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

MechaClown
MechaClown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheist Movies and music

I do know of a few good atheistic themed films and music....

Someone mentioned Corporate Avenger, their first album, with songs like, Christians Murdered Indians, and The Bible is Bullshit. 

Kottonmouth Kings (owners of Suburban Noize records, who produced Corporate Avenger) have several songs such as Waking Dream which have a secular humanist theme.

Insane Clown Posse, although they create their own musical supernatural world, have a song called Hellalujah, lampooning televangelists.

Not exactly atheist, but the movie Pi has spiritual undertones.

The documentary series The Ascent of Man, provides a secular view of human history.

George Clooney (famous atheist!) was in the movie Solaris, which deals with life, death, sensation, god, and resurrection.

Of course, Waking Life, Waking Life, WAKING LIFE!!!!!

And, I don't care what the ultimate message of it was, the religious symbolism is a bit hard to see right away, but The Big Lebowski is an awesome movie about the absurdities of reality.

kaab
User is offlineOffline
I like Black Sabbath, they

I like Black Sabbath, they are actually preachy in a way. If you really want craziness, watch GG Allin on youtube or maybe Pink flamingos, but that is more in the realm of ignorant degenerate white trash. Tool and A Perfect Circle are good musically, but I don't know of too many atheist movies. have you ever seen the "9th Configuration"? Strange stuff.

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok... I'm old.

Music:

It ain't necessarily so
It ain't necessarily so
De things dat yo' liable to read in de Bible
It ain't necessarily so

Porgy and Bess George and Ira Gershwin

One of my favorite atheist themed movies isn't...

Rapture, staring a delectable Mimi Rogers and a very young David Duchovney

Synopsis: (spoiler)

Mimi plays a woman caught up in an pathetic life, occilating between a mind numbing day job, and evenings of passionless promiscuity.

Longing for something more, she starts listening in on a knot of her co-workers whispering conspiratorily about an apocalyptic sect. She gets drawn in more one suspects from a desire for change than any real conviction.

She becomes a fundamentalist, eventually bringing one of her old booty calls into the fold, and marrying him. (Duchovney) They settle into an idylic fundy lifestyle, spawn and anxiously await the end of days. (time goes by)

Hubby gets killed by a disgruntled employee, and Mimi and daughter head to the desert to await the rapture. After starving for a couple of weeks in a campground, the daughter whines incessantly about wanting to see her daddy... Mimi gives in and shoots the tyke in the head. The local sheriff arrests her, and while in jail, the Trumpets sound, the bars fall away, four sets of hoofbeats ring through the streets and Mimi and the Sheriff get raptured up...

She finds herself sitting in a gloomy spot, just across the river from Heaven, where her daughter pleads with her to join her inside, all she has to do is tell God she loves him.

Mimi looks back on her life, and asks how she could possibly love a god that let her kill her little girl? She tells the girl no... (fade to black)

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

timsaward
timsaward's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, it looks like I should

Oh, it looks like I should have found this thread first (I started my own)... I have a song that's explicitly atheistic: toomuchinformation.org.uk/no_answer.m3u

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Groovy Bebop .... I'd like

Groovy Bebop .... I'd like to also hear that with a female voice , and maybe as a duet.   Got more, please !  ???

TIMMY
User is offlineOffline
Music

Alright, lets get started

1st off, Theory in Practice. My favourite band, Swedish technical death metal, some awesome songs. Most have a some focus on anti religion, and some are science fiction themed.

secondly: Nocturnus. Technical death metal, the first death metal band to use keyboards. Their 1st album was more satanic than anti religious per se, about a.. wait for it... cyborg who goes back in time, kills jesus and creates a machine empire with humans as slaves. All of their albums are worth listening to

3: Anata have some antireligious songs also, and also some generally awesome songs. If you like double kick bass blast beats, and contrapuntual structures create a very unique sound.

4: Fear factory, ranges from alt metal to deaht metal, some anti religion, and I find cyberwaste is good to listen to while posting back at trolls.

There are possibly more, I leave you with the lyrics to my favourite song of all time:

Hammered and chiselled to fit
I carry the yoke of total self-denial
Slaves under doctrinal morals
Our minds are forged by the elite-technocracy

Wrapped in anonymity we're forced into patterns
Of flattered emotional response
We know all too well that our minds and bodies
Are but expendable software

Like binary series of numbers
We stand in queue to be erased

Increasing materialistic strife
Has redefined the meaning of life
And the inflation of organic substance is high

Through misty eyes, sometimes we see beyond
And sense the time when we still lived
But too tight are we chained to escape
The path to mental freedom is forever lost

Cold and unfeeling we walk
On desolate streets that speak of times forgotten
REduced to expendable assets
We no longer question the reason

Like binary series of numbers
We stand in queue to be erased

Through misty eyes, sometimes we see beyond
And sense the time when we still lived
But too tight are we chained to escape
The path to mental freedom is forever lost

Rio Morado (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Our Atheist Music - Rio Morado

Please stop by and have a listen to our music on myspace. We are Atheists who have quite a few tunes that poke a bit at religion.

Laughing out loud Hope you enjoy it, the CD will be available soon!   - Rio Morado

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I just watched "Talladega

I just watched "Talladega Nights" which was a pretty funny movie overall but it had some very funny scenes making fun of religion. Near the beginning was the best but there was another one near the middle with a very inappropriate and irreverent saying of grace. There was also a scene where after crashing Ricky Bobby thought he was on fire and was running around yelling "Help me Jesus! Help me Jewish God! Help Me Allah! Help me Tom Cruise! Help me Oprah Winfrey!"

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
monty python

I don't know if anyone's said so yet, but the Monty Python guys have done some absolutely incredible stuff with religion. "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", "The Meaning of Life"(includes a catholic family that believes "every sperm is sacred" and has so many children as a result they must sell some of them for experiments), and especially "Life of Brian". That one is literally just one long parody of religion.

"We are the star things harvesting the star energy"
-Carl Sagan

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
pyrokidd wrote:I don't know

pyrokidd wrote:

I don't know if anyone's said so yet, but the Monty Python guys have done some absolutely incredible stuff with religion. "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", "The Meaning of Life"(includes a catholic family that believes "every sperm is sacred" and has so many children as a result they must sell some of them for experiments), and especially "Life of Brian". That one is literally just one long parody of religion.

I've got The Meaning of Life, heard excellent things about Life of Brian but am not sure I want to watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail because it's a parody of medieval times, and movies about that era tend to gag me.

Vote for McCain... www.therealmccain.com ...and he'll bring Jesus back

Death Dragoon
Bronze Member
Death Dragoon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like slipknot, song

I like slipknot, song heretic anthem stands out in mind tho I was told it was more anti-corporatism then religion. Also, there drummer (who is the best drummer ever) wears a crown of thorn now (pretty sure in mockery as he wears pagan necklaces). The obvious band tho is Marilyn Manson who is fucken awesome, not sure if anyone has posted his name yet. I don't look for atheistic music so these are the only ones i've ever come by.

When once asked in the library if I believed in Jesus Christ, I pointed out that zombie novels are in the fiction section.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I love Monty Python

I love Monty Python movies

Every Sperm is Sacred:

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kay Cat wrote:I've got The

Kay Cat wrote:

I've got The Meaning of Life, heard excellent things about Life of Brian but am not sure I want to watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail because it's a parody of medieval times, and movies about that era tend to gag me.

you've got to understand, though, it's Monty Python, so it's not like a "middle ages" movie, really. The king doesn't have a horse, so his servant follows him around clopping two halves of a coconut while he pretends to ride a horse. The opening scene is two guards on a castle wall asking them where they found a coconut in a temperate zone. (short version, real scene is longer and funnier)

Sound like your average medieval movie?

-Carl Sagan

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
pyrokidd wrote:Kay Cat

pyrokidd wrote:

Kay Cat wrote:

you've got to understand, though, it's Monty Python, so it's not like a "middle ages" movie, really. The king doesn't have a horse, so his servant follows him around clopping two halves of a coconut while he pretends to ride a horse. The opening scene is two guards on a castle wall asking them where they found a coconut in a temperate zone. (short version, real scene is longer and funnier)

Sound like your average medieval movie?

well, I haven't seen it, but I've read reviews, and from what I've read, the main characters have a definate middle age mindset, which is what I don't like. Yeah, I know it's supposed to show the absurdity of that, but it's just one of my quirks that I don't want to watch something so obvious and (for me) distasteful.

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
What exactly do you mean by

What exactly do you mean by middle age mindset?

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
pyrokidd wrote:What exactly

pyrokidd wrote:

What exactly do you mean by middle age mindset?

the kind of mindset that brought about the Spanish Inquisition and religious wars based upon slight variations in the interpretation of the bible.

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
well I don't think there's

well I don't think there's really any of that.....I'd suggest you try it, if it gets unbearable there's aways the off button

-Carl Sagan