The 700 Club

yowhasoy
User is offlineOffline
The 700 Club

The 700 Club is the scariest organization I can think of. THe power of such an organization to control the direction of our government using the awesome power of money is beyond scary. Not only that, but christians get the false idea, that hating people is right from the teachings of these evangelistic christians. Reading some of these articles just fumes you up.

For example, one of the major contributors to the 700 Club is Pat Robertson. He does a jesus centric Q&A with those who ask questions pertaining to their faith, here is an example of such a Q&A

QMy stepdaughter is fascinated with vampires and other occult practices. Her bedroom is draped in black and has an altar with candles, incense, and a pentagram. I tell my wife that even though I am not our daughter's biological dad, I am still responsible before God for my household. My wife tells me to mind my own business. What do you believe is my responsibility before God concerning her behavior in our home?

A First of all, according to the Bible, you are the head of your household. That includes your wife and your daughter. If she [your wife] got married in a Christian marriage, she is supposed to submit to the authority of her husband in matters of spiritual activity.

You do not wish to invite Satan to come into your home. The pentagram, the candles, the occult incantations -- they are all prayers to Satan and to demons to enter your home and to do damage to your home and to your family. As the high priest of your household, you have an absolute right to say, 'No, this is my home and I am paying the bills. You get that junk out of here!'

Don't think that because you are not involved in it that you are going to escape. There was a prophet in the Old Testament whose name was Eli, a wonderful human being, but he let his children get away with murder. Eli the priest allowed his children to engage in fornication with the women who came to the temple to worship, and it got so bad that God said, 'Eli, you and your whole family are out of here. You are out of work, and none of your progeny is ever going to have a part in the priesthood again.' The same thing is true with you. You must take a stand on this. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Your wife has got to say that that is the way it is. You need to say, 'I am not arguing with you. This is the way it is going to be.'

He is basically telling his viewers to hate people for believing anything outside their narrow views, no questions asked. People like this make me extremely angry, and I think it makes people like you angry as well. Then again, those christians have to be evil, afterall, their god created it just for them

"I am the light and create darkness"

Isaiah 45:7

I better stop reasearching this before I get too pissed off

"Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear" -Thomas Jefferson

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
Well, yowhasoy, given that

Well, yowhasoy, given that one excepts the bible as the inerrant word of god, this is a completely reasonable statement by Robertson. He's just acting within his beliefs. But don't get me wrong. Robertson is spreading hatred, and it's because he believes, lock, stock and barrel, the bible. It's the belief in the inerrancy of the the bible that needs to be stopped, not Robertson.

Anyway, I usually don't get that angry when I watch the 700 club, I actually find it humorous. Robertson looks really funny when his eyes are shut while praying. It's also funny when they do the "news" segment. They have a reporter give the story. Then the reporter asks Robertson what he thinks about the story. Robertson usually goes of in some old-fogy sounding tirade. It's like listening to your grandpa complain while watching the news.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
The 700 club is crazy, but

The 700 club is crazy, but the 700 club is the only theist organization that has come close to ever convincing me that theism is true....

I'll leave that as provocatively worded as it is...

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote: The 700

todangst wrote:

The 700 club is crazy, but the 700 club is the only theist organization that has come close to ever convincing me that theism is true....

I'll leave that as provocatively worded as it is...

Way to leave me hanging, todangst. You are a master of suspense. Eye-wink

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
MrRage wrote:Way to leave

MrRage wrote:
Way to leave me hanging, todangst. You are a master of suspense. Eye-wink

Well, I didn't think I'd get a bite that quick... Ok, I'll give you the rest of the story, and as the saying goes, "It's all true".

Sometime in my late teens, or even possibly my early 20s, I was watching the 700 club... this was back when Pat and his partner Ben were still the regular hosts.

Well, at some point, they went into the 'lets- squint our eyes real hard coz this means we really mean it" prayer, as they enjoined us viewers to pray along and seek our own salvation. Pat did the prayer -  all Ben ever got to do was squint real hard.  

So I said "OK' and we three, Pat Robertson, his buddy Ben, and me, todangst all did the 'Jesus, I admit I'm a sinner" prayer.... and to make the experience truly special, I closed my eyes.

Well, while I did, this bright light entered the room. I mean, a bright light... the room was aglow... it literally started to hurt my eyes, and they began to tear up. It was pretty cool.

So here was the holy spirit. What do you know, those theists are on to something. But I don't really feel as if anything other than my own body is really at root cause here.... yeah, there's this light, but....

Well, I still was a skeptical thinker, so it dawned on me that opening my eyes and taking a look about the room was called for....

Turns out, that while my eyes were closed, the 700 club camera turned from a close up of Pat and Ben, and instead focused on... a close up of a candle. That's where the light came from.... and I must admit, I was disapointed more than anything else.

So, if I were a bit more credulous, who knows.... maybe I'd be here telling you fools about the glory of god's light, and how it set me on the path to 'salvation'

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
LOL! That story was worth

LOL! That story was worth the wait.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote: The 700

todangst wrote:

I thought you just needed a noun to go with your adjective and were going to say "convincing me that theism is true b.s."

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Am I the only one who would

Am I the only one who would like to hit the leaders of the 700 club over the head with an actual club?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

yowhasoy
User is offlineOffline
how bout 700 clubs?

how bout 700 clubs?