my god

HydroMaf
User is offlineOffline
my god

Hi, life long athiest here from the UK. I read this some time back, and i thought to my self... if there was a god. that would be it. what do you guys think?

http://www.fullmoon.nu/articles/art.php?id=tal

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Interesting. From a

Interesting.

From a neato-sci-fi kind of perspective, I find this pretty appealing. I think there have been a couple of short stories based on this premise. The one that comes to mind right now is one in which a scientist discovers a way to generate a force field that will completely protect entire cities from nuclear weapons. The problem is that as he's finishing his work, he develops a completely irrational and overwhelming desire to commit suicide...

Long story short... humans had been programmed by some higher species. Part of the "experiment" was that the higher species had the option to exterminate humanity by causing a nuclear war. This scientist was going down intellectually forbidden paths (ending the alien's ability to exterminate us) and so he had triggered a self-destruct button in his own brain, so to speak.

Anyway, like I said, the whole concept is appealing from a geek perspective, and it certainly makes more sense than a supernatural god, but without any evidence that this is so, I have to just regard it as a fun story.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
It's an amusing story with

It's an amusing story with interesting ideas. I love this quote from "god" a lot:

Quote:
Can you seriously imagine how the Pope would react to the reality of my existence?! If he really understood how badly wrong he and his church have been, how much of the pain and suffering you mentioned earlier has been caused by his religion, I suspect he'd have an instant coronary! Or can you picture what it would be like if I appeared "live" simultaneously on half a dozen tele-evangelist propaganda shows. Pat Robertson would wet himself if he actually understood who he was talking to.

This has been observed before, but I'll say it again. Every "meeting with god" story I've seen, whether claimed to be real or fiction, never contains anything a human could not have thought or imagined.