This just makes me want to beat my head against the wall

Angelic_Atheist
Angelic_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
This just makes me want to beat my head against the wall

Ok, so Im looking through my Civ4 booklet and I come across the part about the religions in the game.....

Quote:
RELIGION IN THIS GAME
We know that people have extremely strong opinions about religions -- in fact, many a war has arisen when these beliefs collide. We at Firaxis have no desire to offend anyone. However, given the importance that religions have had in human development, we didn’t want to just leave them out of the game altogether; instead we have tried to handle them in as respectful, fair and even-handed manner as possible. (All religions in the game have the same effects, the only difference being their technological requirements.)
... When determining which seven to include, we picked those religions that we thought would be most familiar to our audience. We do not mean to imply that these religions are more important, better or worse than any other religions.
We offer no value judgments on religion; we mean no disrespect to anyone's beliefs. We're game designers, not theologians.

That a game must put in a disclaimer like this, is ridiculous. How many whiney theists had to complain that their religion wasnt given proper authority over the rest (or what ever), before they felt this necessary??????

We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
~ Richard Dawkins

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
They're just covering their

They're just covering their asses.

I think it's funny that the religions have technology requirements.

Anyway, is the game worth buying? I've played civ3 a little and really liked it.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I got Civ4 for Xmas of 2005.

I got Civ4 for Xmas of 2005. It's way, way, way, way ,way too difficult even on the easiest setting, so I gave up playing it. I did wish there was atheism in the game. I purposely didn't have any religion start, or only non-god ones like taoism.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Angelic_Atheist wrote: Ok,

Angelic_Atheist wrote:
Ok, so Im looking through my Civ4 booklet and I come across the part about the religions in the game.....
Quote:
RELIGION IN THIS GAME We know that people have extremely strong opinions about religions -- in fact, many a war has arisen when these beliefs collide. We at Firaxis have no desire to offend anyone. However, given the importance that religions have had in human development, we didn’t want to just leave them out of the game altogether; instead we have tried to handle them in as respectful, fair and even-handed manner as possible. (All religions in the game have the same effects, the only difference being their technological requirements.) ... When determining which seven to include, we picked those religions that we thought would be most familiar to our audience. We do not mean to imply that these religions are more important, better or worse than any other religions. We offer no value judgments on religion; we mean no disrespect to anyone's beliefs. We're game designers, not theologians.
That a game must put in a disclaimer like this, is ridiculous. How many whiney theists had to complain that their religion wasnt given proper authority over the rest (or what ever), before they felt this necessary??????

Ok, just because we know this is a bullshit disclaimer I fear that some Christians and atheists are bent on shreding free speech as a result.

If we want to put these morons on notice, what we are doing here using our own free speech will do it. I do not like people seeking legislation banning "offensive" things.

This site and some of it's members have directly by major conservitive Christian media pundants have been called "dangerous". If anyone on any side of the isle seeks goverment to play thought police eventually everyone will lose. It is up to use indepenant of goverment to use our own voices in the free market to make change.

As sick as this video game is it would be far worse if the Concervitive Christian or liberal atheist were forced to live under a goverment playing thought police.

I think it works when we on our own tell these idiiots to their face, without dictating to them, "You just mad a pile of divisive shit that promotes division".

If those who truely value E-Pluribus Unum, they will see ultimatly that it is divisive and will voluntarly boycot it. But to force it out of existance because we dont like it and use goverment force to end it would give goverment the same power to decide that sites like this are a threat.

My point is that it cuts both ways and for either side to make gains, if that is what the person is seeking, the worst thing people can do who dissagree is to put goverment in the power of squashing dissent.

What both the Conservitive Christian and atheist may forget is that they might not be in the majority at a given point of history and if goverment has that power, their unpopular view might be squashed by force.

If atheists value saying, "Jesus is fiction", then we cant shoot ourselves in the foot, by demanding goverment force these idiots selling this garbage. We should just use our own voice and exorsize our wallets and challenge people who do want to get allong not to buy it. If enought people dont buy it, people like this wouldnt make it. 

That disclaimer to me is no different than the bullshit we see on infomericals.

The game itself has a theme of "We are great and you suck".

Thats all we have to say to show these buyers how sick this game is. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Angelic_Atheist
User is offlineOffline
MrRage wrote: They're just

MrRage wrote:
They're just covering their asses. I think it's funny that the religions have technology requirements. Anyway, is the game worth buying? I've played civ3 a little and really liked it.

If you liked 3 then you'll probably like 4, and the warlords expansion. The thech requirements are things like monotheism and divine right.

MattShizzle wrote:
I did wish there was atheism in the game. I purposely didn't have any religion start, or only non-god ones like taoism.

I wish there was an atheism too, a nice bonus for science and such... I guess the game developer gods know what their doing.Cool

We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
~ Richard Dawkins

Unlucky13
Unlucky13's picture
User is offlineOffline
I find it interesting that

I find it interesting that Christians can come out with tons of games that show Christians taking over barbarians and other 'godless' people. I wish someone would have the balls to come out with a game that shows Atheists fighting to take over the Christians just so I can sit back and watch all the Christians rise up and cry about it.

ASK A PRIEST!!!!

I am collecting questions for the next couple of weeks. Do you have a question you'd like to ask a priest? Post it here:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/sapient/atheist_vs_theist/5959

FundamentallyFlawed
FundamentallyFlawed's picture
User is offlineOffline
I got Civ4 as soon as it

I got Civ4 as soon as it came out, and I got a huge laugh out of that disclaimer as well.

I did think that adding religion to the game was a great idea. I wish they had not been so meek about it, however. They should have made the different religions have different effects on civilization. It's kind of a cop out to imply that Islam and Taoism would have the same cultural effect.

Angelic_Atheist
User is offlineOffline
FundamentallyFlawed

FundamentallyFlawed wrote:
I got Civ4 as soon as it came out, and I got a huge laugh out of that disclaimer as well.

I did think that adding religion to the game was a great idea. I wish they had not been so meek about it, however. They should have made the different religions have different effects on civilization. It's kind of a cop out to imply that Islam and Taoism would have the same cultural effect.

I think they considred different effects of the religions, but decided against it.
Besides, the game get super laggy at the tail end of a giant world game.

But if they are able to do that in a future version, I would defenately like to see atheism as an option.
AOE has an atheism option for one of the civilizations. I thought that was cool.

~ Richard Dawkins

FundamentallyFlawed
FundamentallyFlawed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Angelic_Atheist wrote: But

Angelic_Atheist wrote:
But if they are able to do that in a future version, I would defenately like to see atheism as an option.

I think changing your civ to "free religion" is sort of like atheism. It essentially takes the religious bonuses and penalties out of the picture.

I agree, though... it would be cool to officially have atheism as an option.

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like that if your state

I like that if your state religion spreads to other civilizations' cities, you can see what goes on in those cities. It's like having a bunch of spies Laughing out loud