Suicide is a sin

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Suicide is a sin

OK, many of you who have known me a while know I have been very suicidal in the past. I find the idea of it being a really bad sin disgusting. If God doesn't want people to commit suicide, he shouldn't make peoples' lives so bad that they want it to be over. Don't really know what other religions think of it. I would guess the Flying Spaghetti Monster wouldn't want people to kill themselves, but he would say that if your life is so bad you want to end it, to go ahead. Or he would try to improve it. Any theists want to defend their position on this?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Does the Bible actually say

Does the Bible actually say that suicide is a sin? Or does it just say killing is a sin?

Best verse I can get that might make suicide a nono is I Corinthians 6:19-20:
"(19)Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?(20) For you were bought at a price; therefor glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's." (NKJ)

I can see how someone might get it from that, but it doesn't say suicide is wrong.
If God liked our bodies so much he should have made them immortal.

...By the way, exactly what price did God pay for our bodies? I didn't know it cost him anything. 

Flying Spaghetti Monster -- Great Almighty God? Or GREATEST Almighty God?

Angelic_Atheist
Angelic_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
It was explained to me, by

It was explained to me, by a theist, like this

you body is not yours, is a temple of god.

Killing is wrong

suicide is self killing

you can ask for forgivness only after the sin

after your dead, its to late

you die with an unforgiven sin

you go straight to hell

hell is worse than your sucky life so dont murder yourself

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was at the point that even hell seemed better than my life. I can only say that I'm glad I failed.

Obviously I dont believe in such things anymore, but there are those around me to consider. When I considered such an act again several years later, It wasnt god who saved me, but the thought of leaving my family (or anyone else for that matter) to find my body. Im sure you know what happens to a body when it ceases to live. 

We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
~ Richard Dawkins