The Root of all Evil by Richard Dawkins (a must see)

The Root of all Evil by Richard Dawkins. "The Root of All Evil?" is a television documentary, written and presented by Richard Dawkins, in which he argues that the world would be better off without religion.
PART 1:

PART 2:

Key words: Root of evil, Root of all evil, religion, terrorism, science, rational thought, critical inquiry, biology, anthropology, militant faith, fundamentalism, irrational faith, murderous intolerance, fatima, richard dawkins, age of reason, indoctrination, meme, virus of faith, rational response squad, Richard Dawkins, superstitions, myth, religions, jesus christ, god, allah, judeo-christian, evolution, cosmology

GodStoleMyFriends's picture

Thank you for posting this.

Thank you for posting this.

Randalllord's picture

Does anyone know how AI can

Does anyone know how I can get this in DVD?

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

There isn't a release as far

There isn't a release as far as I know.

THESEEKERCDC's picture

Great film!

I want to echo thanks for putting this film up. It's one of the best docs I've ever seen!

Razorcade's picture

DVD

A few months ago, when this first aired, I contacted the program director for the TV station that carried the program.

I received an email back some days later stating that this program was, in fact, not released on DVD.

I asked him if he could send me a VHS copy of the program but never received a response, and I basically just didn't follow up on the issue.

Is this the entire

Is this the entire documentary? I thought it was an hour and a half? I like these 14 minutes though.

Just Wondering,
Thom

Thom, They're up and working

Thom,

They're up and working fine about 45 minutes each. The .mov downloads are not full length.

Root of All evil

I just purchased a copy on eBay for $12USD, There's more there to be purchased.

Randalllord's picture

To get a legal

To get a legal copy:
https://www.skeptic.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?&Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SS&Product_Code=av561DVD

They do cost more than the pirated copies on Ebay.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

meshblorg's picture

"The Root Of All Evil" by Richard Dawkins

I have recently seen this documentary and have grown very fond of it. Many of the religious radicals were quite frightening with their sense of arrogant righteousness and willful ignorance.

I was most upset with President of the Born Again Christians of America, Ted Haggard, who blatantly lies about evolution.

I was also very shocked that this man, who a couple months ago was caught purchasing crystal meth and having a 3 year homosexual relationship with a gay hooker(who confessed after Haggard supported a legislative measure against gay marriage), has a personal relationship with President George W. Bush. Haggard's claim that he makes weekly conference calls with Bush (any calls are frightening enough) is most disturbing.

I was very upset with him for accusing Hawkins of being arrogant. Religion is by far the most arrogant. It claims to have the answers to the most difficult questions about the life and the cosmos without providing any proof or evidence that a God is responsible. Science acknowledges its own imperfection and gladly accepts new knowledge and proven research (addressed in the film).

An important note that I picked up from the beginning of the "The God Delusion" is that he did not like the title. He writes because "Religion is not the root of all evil, for no one thing is the root of all anything." (pg 1) I agree with his statement but the overall fundamental problem I want to tackle with him is the acceptance and proliferation of faith, which leads to catastrophic results.

Many people say that Mao and Stalin were atheists, and therefore inherently evil(very ridiculous). However, the main reason they were able to take power was that their followers had great faith in their communist ideology and their leadership. Following without questioning is extremely damaging. It is also a vital component of religion. Blind faith hurts us all, whether it comes from the churches or from the dictators.

Very few human beings still believe in the Egyptian Gods, the Norse Gods, the Greek Gods and so forth. They way common people view and study these religions today as myths should also be true for the common religions of the present. I would like to see in my lifetime for Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and many other religions to be seen for what they really are, myths. They deserve the same criticism and evaluation as the rest. Organized religions are nothing more than giant cults focused on the worship of myths involving an imaginary god or gods.

Faith stands in the way of logic, reason, and the progress of humanity. It is now 2007 and as the inheritors of the future, we have the power to minimize and quite possibly eliminate it.

Fear not!

If you rise to the skies when you die, fear not, I shall follow you to heaven and save you from the evill ones. Smiling

Episode 2 doesn't seem to

Episode 2 doesn't seem to work. Sad

I found episode 2 over here

I found episode 2 over here - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8365780578032579777&q=virus+of+faith

It's got Spanish subtitles. 

The video is up again.

The video is up again.