An experiment I'd like to try some day...

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
An experiment I'd like to try some day...

Buy a car. Paint it with every anti-religious symbol that you possibly can, barring those that are tied to hate crimes(both for legal reasons and to make sure you don't accidentally get someone who just hates hate instead of a religious fool). Get a ring of security pinhole cameras and properly place it so there is a 360 degree line of site around the car(including above and below). Park it near a church, or a community known as excessively religious. Wait for the inevitable offenders to come and vandalise the vehicle, getting it on 20 odd different video cameras. Then submitting the footage to the net, the insurance company, and the police. Also submit the video to churches around the world, as evidence of their own congregations disobeying not only the law of the nation, but their own church laws as well.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's a really great idea.

That's a really great idea. With something like that you'd need enough of a budget to basically throw out a car though. That could be a really big eye-opener for a lot of people. I would send "thank you for being decent human being" letters to all the churches who DIDN'T attack the car... Laughing out loud

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
"When christians

"When christians attack"

"The immoral ones"

I approve.

You could split it into different religions, see which ones cause the most damage.

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

Sekigahara
Sekigahara's picture
User is offlineOffline
You should also use an

You should also use an interesting control as well, get another car with the same equipment, but with only anti-atheist symbols and park it maybe in front of an atheist convention. If atheist do less or no damage, this will be great data....

Crazybassist03
Crazybassist03's picture
User is offlineOffline
What a stupid idea.

What a stupid idea. Seriously. That'll accomplish a lot.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
An excellent modifier.

"You should also use an interesting control as well, get another car with the same equipment, but with only anti-atheist symbols and park it maybe in front of an atheist convention. If atheist do less or no damage, this will be great data...."

An excellent modifier.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Crazybassist03 wrote: What

Crazybassist03 wrote:
What a stupid idea. Seriously. That'll accomplish a lot.

It will certainly accomplish more than your mindless criticism.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Crazy, do you approve of

Crazy, do you approve of anything atheists want to do?  Should we even point out that every great movement in history had people standing on the sidelines saying, "Hey, I agree with you, but it'll never work.  You're wasting your time."

Sufferage, civil rights movement, conservationists...

The Wright Brothers...

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Interesting idea.

I especially like the idea of parking an anti-atheist car near an atheist convention.

Before the election in 2004, I attached a lot of anti-Bush and pro-Kerry bumper stickers to my car with magnets because I knew my car would probably be targeted.  I live in a fundy-rich county in California.  On the back of each bumper sticker, I put the words "Thou shalt not steal."  When I came out of the movie theatre, one of my bumper stickers was gone.  And no, it did not fall off.  Still, the thief left the others, either because of guilt or because he/she almost got caught in the act.  It was interesting as hell.

Disclaimer: I'm not much of a Kerry fan, but at that point ANYONE looked good.  I hope the Democrats offer a better candidate this time, but they don't have a history of offering good candidates, so I can probably kiss that hope goodbye. Smiling

I'm poor and my car is dying.  If I knew I could get a decent car out of the deal, I'd donate my dying car. Smiling  Because I live in a rural area, a car is absolutely necessary.  We don't have public transportation. Okay, we do, but it isn't reliable.   

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

olivergringold
olivergringold's picture
User is offlineOffline
DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT

Laughing

"No end justifies the means of lying."
-Penn Jillette

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bump for fresh input. :)

Bump for fresh input. Smiling

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like both ideas, but out

I like both ideas, but out of curiosity would you consider it vandalism if the religious group simply painted the car one color?  Just curious...I suppose it would depend on where it is placed. 

There are some churches the offer free mechanic services certain times of the year.  Perhaps we could use Iruka's car and put a note on it stating that her car is in desperate need of help and she is an atheist.  Wonder if they would fix it...?

ImmaculateDeception
ImmaculateDeception's picture
User is offlineOffline
  A very creative idea,

A very creative idea, but it kind of sounds like entrapement to me. 

That being said, I still think you should do it.

Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine

AtheistInWonderland
RRS local affiliate
User is offlineOffline
If you parked it near a

If you parked it near a church it wouldn't get vandalized for quite awhile I bet. You would have to wait on a Christian who was by themselves to see it, otherwise it would just get a bunch of tracts put on it.

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like the idea, but who

I like the idea, but who said you have to use a good car? The car doesn't have to be brand new. See what the cheapest price for a used car in the classified section of the newspaper. Get that car (hopefully only a few hundred bucks), clean it up a bit, and do the expiriment. But I also agree that I don't think some xtian is going to get a baseball bat and destroy the car right infront of the congregation as it comes out from church. Maybe if you took the car to colorado springs or Lynchburg. He'd do it alone when nobody was around. And if you do this experiment, well, all the atheists should be on the look out for xtian covered cars infront of athiest get togethers and know not to touch em b/c its a trap. Sticking out tongue

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Medievalguy wrote: I like

Medievalguy wrote:
I like the idea, but who said you have to use a good car? The car doesn't have to be brand new. See what the cheapest price for a used car in the classified section of the newspaper. Get that car (hopefully only a few hundred bucks), clean it up a bit, and do the expiriment. But I also agree that I don't think some xtian is going to get a baseball bat and destroy the car right infront of the congregation as it comes out from church. Maybe if you took the car to colorado springs or Lynchburg. He'd do it alone when nobody was around. And if you do this experiment, well, all the atheists should be on the look out for xtian covered cars infront of athiest get togethers and know not to touch em b/c its a trap. :-p

I'd like to think that the average atheist is smarter than to do that...

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm actually going to

I'm actually going to discourage you here.  My reasoning is quite simple.  Try to find a copy of Season 9 Episode 3 of Top Gear which is a British car show.  Great show, but that episode got ... kinda dangerous.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"The next morning the

"The next morning the presenters faced their final challenge: to drive their cars across Alabama without getting shot. This might sound relatively easy, but before they set off they were allowed to paint slogans on each other's cars. James ended up with 'Hilary for president' scrawled along the side of his Caddy, Jeremy's Camaro had the words 'Country and western is rubbish', and Richard's pick-up bore the legend 'Man love rules OK'. These sentiments didn't go down too well with some of the locals and, to cut a long story short, we were lucky to make it to New Orleans with our lives."

Rofl.

In case it wasn't self evident, if anyone chooses to do this on their own, make damn sure you are NOT driving the car down a bible belt road without covering the decals/painting job/whatever before hand.