Company Policy

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline
Company Policy

(Don't know who originally wrote this....)

Start with a cage containing five monkeys. Inside the cage, hang a banana on a string and place a set of stairs under it. Before long, a monkey will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, spray all of the other monkeys with cold water. After a while, another monkey makes an attempt with the same result -- all the other monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon, when another monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it.

Now, put away the cold water. Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his surprise and horror, all of the other monkeys attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted.

Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm! Likewise, replace a third original monkey with a new one, then a fourth, then the fifth.

Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs, he is attacked. Most of the monkeys that are beating him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs or why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey.

After replacing all the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys have ever been sprayed with cold water. Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs to try for the banana. Why not? Because as far as they know that's the way it's always been done around here.

And that, my friends, is how company policy begins.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Interesting......

Interesting......

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
The same thing happens when

The same thing happens when you say "there is no banana".

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Along the same lines is an

Along the same lines is an old story about Easter Dinner.

A young wife cooked an Easter ham for the family gathering. She prepared it by cutting off both ends before baking it.

Her daughter asked why she did this. The young wife said, "I don't know. That's what Mom always did. Let's ask her."

They asked the young wife's mother and she replied, "I don't know. That's what your grandmother always did. Let's ask her."

They asked the young wife's grandmother why the ends of the ham had to be removed. Grandmother looked surprised and said, "Because a whole ham wouldn't fit in the baking pan I had."

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

MarthaSplatterhead (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Nice.

Nice, Susan.

I think this ties in with why people are xtian nowadays. I know it's obvious but wanted to point it out just in case. Ask a person why they are xtian today I bet it's a different answer than the ones that started following it in the beginning of it. (I guess it applies to any religion really). Heck, I was xtian because I was shown that was what I was supposed to be. When will that monkey realize that he doesn't have to follow the other ones and just go get that banana?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
There was another one about

There was another one about a Catholic church where the members would always kneel when they reached a certain area of the church. When someone researched why it turned out there used to be a beam there and people had to duck so they wouldn't bump their head.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team