Genesis c22v12
Genesis c22v12's picture
User is offlineOffline
How did the robbers react after all?

Mt 27

44 In the same way the robbers who were crucified with him also hea
ped insults on him.

Mc 15

32 Those crucified with him also heaped insults on him.

Lc 23

39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!"

40 But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence"? 41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong."

42 Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[a]"

43Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

Looks very different from Mt and Mc accouts, doen't it? The best Christian response I ever got to this is "one of them converted during crucifixion, and only Luke thought relevant to register the fact".

Questions follow: why would two of the three of the writes (since John tells us nothing about the robbers reaction on the cross) fail to give us an account of such an important convertion? When you compare Mt and Mc with Luke, you see clearly they telling two different stories. Mt and Mc make a point in saying "all rejected him, even the two robbers on the cross" . And they tells us of no further development. But Luke tells us someting very different. There was a discussion between the two, with one of them saying Jesus is God and innocent.
Jesus even promises him paradise, granting his previous solicitation to enter it.

One can sure do many interpretation tricks to harmonise differences in accounts, but this contradiction seems clear, when you reject ad-hoc explanations.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Isn't it pretty ridiculous

Isn't it pretty ridiculous to imagine that these robbers would bother insulting Jesus while crucified (Crucifiction was an agonizingly painful death)? Even holding any sort of conversation would be difficult. Reminds me of the end of Life of Brian. Laughing out loud

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm with Matt. Of course,

I'm with Matt.

Of course, they might have been speaking a different language.

It was interpretted as cussing at christ but it was actually something like:

"OWWWWW! This really hurts."

When the story is completely made up, the script can be changed.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I would suggest they were

I would suggest they were just screaming "JESUS CHRIST THIS HURTS!" and were just using it as an interjection rather than directly addressing him, but of course "Jesus Christ" wasn't used as a swear word at the time.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

MarthaSplatterhead (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Quote:but of course "Jesus

Quote:
but of course "Jesus Christ" wasn't used as a swear word at the time.
Yeah swear words probably referred to Roman gods.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
LOL!!! "Jupiter damn it why

LOL!!! "Jupiter damn it why the Hades did you do that?" , " Oh, Mercury this sucks!"

Genesis c22v12
Genesis c22v12's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is gospel music in

There is a gospel music in which the author sings as if he was one of the robbers. Somewhere he says : "amidst so much pain He was trying to say "I chose you my son, today both of us will be in paradise" .

In a way he seems to recognize how difficult it would be for such a conversation to take place. One of the very improbalble tale, very strangely described. While two of the evangelists insist both of them rejected Christ, Luke contradicts both and say one of them believed Jesus's deity.

Disrespectful of Religion