GLOBAL ORGASM FOR PEACE. : )

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
GLOBAL ORGASM FOR PEACE. : )

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061119/NEWS/611190301/1005/SPORTS0106

Article published Nov 19, 2006
SUSAN SWARTZ: 'Make love, not war' gets literal
On Dec. 22, if organizers get their way, there will be a giant energy blast that will rock the world, make it smile and want to cuddle.

Call it cosmos orgasmos, a variation of a meditation for peace. But instead of a group "Om" this is a collective "Big O" -- as in orgasm.

The first synchronized Global Orgasm for Peace is the brainchild of those who four years ago birthed Baring Witness, the anti-war demonstration that called for people to get naked for peace, starting with 45 women forming a giant peace sign on a chilly Marin County, Calif., field in November 2002 for an aerial photographer.

It was artist Donna Sheehan's way to get media attention and show the world that not all Americans were gung-ho for the newly declared war. The idea caught on and Baring Witness actions were staged around the country and the world, with men and women stripping and spelling out "peace" or "no war" or similar sentiments in places like Salt Lake City, Hong Kong, Dallas, Hiroshima, Antarctica, South Africa and Paris.

With no letup on Iraq's killing fields and with new wars threatened, Sheehan and her partner, Paul Reffell, advanced to a new plan for coming together -- a worldwide day of whoopee Dec. 22, the winter solstice. Reffell, who lives with Sheehan on Tomales Bay, Calif., where sharks mate and whales sing, said he came up with the idea at a party.

"I said, 'Wouldn't it be something if we had a synchronized global orgasm, releasing the most powerful input of energy that humans produce at the same minute around the world?'"

But knowing you can't always orchestrate these things, even between two people, they decided it could be just as potent to extend the Big O throughout the 24-hour period, a series of little O's if you will, allowing flexibility of time and place for participants.

There is no official count of recruits since the couple started circulating e-mail announcements in five languages through www.globalorgasm.org. But there is enthusiasm. An engineer from Hungary wrote that "he will be doing it alone but he will join us." For those who need to arrange for a partner or shop for supplies, the site has a countdown clock of days, hours and minutes to blastoff.

Unlike Baring Witness, the Big O will not be photographed or turned into a calendar, but Sheehan and Reffell do expect to see the earth move.

Soon after Reffell had his epiphany, Sheehan heard a report on late-night radio about special generators being used to measure the effect of human consciousness on matter. The two became convinced that releasing sexual energy and peaceful thoughts en masse could jump-start a sick world in the same way some believe that collective prayer and meditation can cure illness.

So far the idea has been met with "a howl and a giggle," but Sheehan said that's how Baring Witness began before winning converts. "Even the conservative male media that started out wanting to make us look stupid gave the idea a sort of grudging respect."

Even if nothing goes off but a few ring-a-ding-dings, at least, Reffell said, "it's a high-energy way to put something positive out in a negative world."

Well, sure, and aren't we looking for some way to feel better about the world, since it's pretty obvious war isn't working? A climactic convergence might be a nice healthy outlet for all that misdirected testosterone that gets us into war.

Susan Swartz is a columnist for The Press Democrat in Santa Rosa, Calif.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

FundamentallyFlawed
FundamentallyFlawed's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not too sure about the

I'm not too sure about the science behind this...

But I suppose it my duty as a rational thinker to give it a try!

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
LeftofLarry wrote:The two

LeftofLarry wrote:
The two became convinced that releasing sexual energy and peaceful thoughts en masse could jump-start a sick world in the same way some believe that collective prayer and meditation can cure illness.

Somebody go smack those idiots.

Asmoday
Asmoday's picture
User is offlineOffline
HELL YES FOR PRE-MARRITAL

HELL YES FOR PRE-MARRITAL SEXUAL INTERCOURSE.

FUCK MARRIAGE,,, FUCK YOU.. and FUCK ME....

HAHAHA

http://www.crawford2000.co.uk/photon.htm

"Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside awakens."

-Carl G. Jung

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
As a scientist and

As a scientist and statistics junky, I'd love to see what would happen the day after a worldwide orgy or masturbation session. Not much, is what I'm guessing Eye-wink

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
Considering that species all

Considering that species all over the world are having sex all the time, I'd imagine very little. Unless

a) Only people can project energy.
b) Only species that can have orgasms can project energy.
c) There is some kind of energy that can be projected but can't be measured outside of sensors placed on the person.
d) Knowing that people are going to do this, the highly biased cyberkinetics pseudoscience center just produces the results it's looking for, since something like this is hard to duplicate.

Still, I'll give it a try with the girl of the week.

Asmoday
Asmoday's picture
User is offlineOffline
I beleive, all that is

I beleive, all that is needed is INTENT, and a object or thing to focus all of this intent into. Once orgasm is reached, you "let it go"... it works like that.... If everyone around the world did that, I think there might be an affect...That is a LOT of focussed energy... If people just fuck for the sake of fucking on the winter solstice, it will be like anyother day......

procedure has to be followed......

and besides... MAKE LOVE NOT WAR... ROTF

"Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside awakens."

-Carl G. Jung