Toys for Tots rejects talking Jesus dolls

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline

9:49 p.m. EST, November 14, 2006

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A talking Jesus doll has been turned down by the Marine Reserves' Toys for Tots program.

A Los Angeles company offered to donate 4,000 of the 1-foot-tall dolls, which quote Bible verses, for distribution to needy children this holiday season.

The battery-powered Jesus is one of several dolls manufactured by one2believe, a division of the Valencia-based Beverly Hills Teddy Bear Co., based on biblical figures.

But the charity balked because of the dolls' religious nature.

Toys are donated to kids based on financial need and "we don't know anything about their background, their religious affiliations," said Bill Grein, vice president of Marine Toys for Tots Foundation, in Quantico, Virginia.

As a government entity, Marines "don't profess one religion over another," Grein said Tuesday. "We can't take a chance on sending a talking Jesus doll to a Jewish family or a Muslim family."

Michael La Roe, director of business development for both companies, said the charity's decision left him "surprised and disappointed."

"The idea was for them to be three-dimensional teaching tools for kids," La Roe said. "I believe as a churchgoing person, anyone can benefit from hearing the words of the Bible."

According to the company's Web site, the button-activated, bearded Jesus, dressed in hand-sewn cloth outfits and sandals, recites Scripture such as "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again" and "Love your neighbor as yourself." It has a $20 retail value.

Grein questioned whether children would welcome a gift designed for religious instruction.

"Kids want a gift for the holiday season that is fun," he said.

The program distributed 18 million stuffed animals, games, toy trucks and other gifts to children in 2005.

Link

ImmaculateDeception
ImmaculateDeception's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey, I'll totally get battle

Hey, I'll totally get battle damage Jesus if they come out with it. Does he come with a cross?

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
GlamourKat wrote:Toys for

GlamourKat wrote:
9:49 p.m. EST, November 14, 2006

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A talking Jesus doll has been turned down by the Marine Reserves' Toys for Tots program.

Marine Reserves join the War on Christmas! Laughing out loud

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
[quote=Sapient

Sapient wrote:

Marine Reserves join the War on Christmas! Laughing out loud

Haha, yeah. Wonder if Bill O'RLY has seen this yet?
He'd probably FREAK OUT.
It's amazing to me that fundies get so bent out of shape when the government doesn't endorse their specific religion. It'd be neat to see what they'd do if Wicca or Satanism started getting taught in schools! Sticking out tongue

Teacher: Alright, kids, it's time to recite the 9 Satanic Rules...

Kids:

1. Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence!
2. Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams!
3. Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit!
4. Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates!
5. Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek!
6. Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires!
7. Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all!
8. Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification!
9. Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as He has kept it in business all these years!

Snagged from Wikipedia. Fundies and even moderates would start screaming SO LOUD! ROTF

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
ImmaculateDeception wrote:

Hey, I'll totally get battle damage Jesus if they come out with it. Does he come with a cross?

No doubt. And the moses with the arm-raising staff attack with the ten commandments missile weapon.

Oooh. And the four horsemen of the apocalypse boxed set.

I'd like to get some of the legos from:
http://www.thebricktestament.com/

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline

Jesus casts Aspersion, takes half damage.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Angelic_Atheist
Angelic_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
hehehe...i started laughing

hehehe...i started laughing as it clicked on this post...to the right its a slap in the face...as for Toys for Tots, well Kudos to them.
(Did you guys know that the Hells Angels also do ToT??)
Mr. Grein is either not a christian or truly familiar with other religious affiliations...or both. He also has an excellent point that kids want fun toys, and that jesus toy does NOT meet the criteria for fun!...LOL

I think this is about the best article Ive read in ages.

We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
~ Richard Dawkins

ShaunPhilly
High Level ModeratorSilver Member
ShaunPhilly's picture
User is offlineOffline
Have you guys seen

Have you guys seen this?

Jesus Christ Superstore

Great stocking stuffers!

I'll fight for a person's right to speak so long as that person will, in return, fight to allow me to challenge their opinions and ridicule them as the content of their ideas merit.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Damn you Glamourkat you

Damn you Glamourkat you bitch, I was gonna post about this when I came on (kidding about the damn you bitch part!) :ROTF:

http://www.mysweetjesus.com/

I was laughing about it. I'm surprised Christians weren't bitching about a Jesus action figure. I could think of so many evil things to do with that, but I'm sure y'all don't need help! Evil

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Damn you

MattShizzle wrote:
Damn you Glamourkat you bitch, I was gonna post about this when I came on (kidding about the damn you bitch part!) :ROTF:

http://www.mysweetjesus.com/

I was laughing about it. I'm surprised Christians weren't bitching about a Jesus action figure. I could think of so many evil things to do with that, but I'm sure y'all don't need help! Evil

Hahaha, sorry Matt! It WAS too good to resist wasn't it? I liked the link you posted too....
Jesus looks really....femme. Raised Brow
With his eyelashes and rouged up cheeks...

This site is TOO funny.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So here’s our growing list of great reasons to have a Jesus doll of your very own.

~ Reminds you to pray before bed.
~ Helps you develop a friendship with Jesus
~ Shows that you are Christian (and proud of it!)
~ Makes you smile
~ Encourages you to get out of bed and go to Church on Sunday
~ Provides comfort in troubled times
~ Spreads Jesus’ message of love wherever he goes
~ My Sweet Jesus turns storytime into
Bible-story time
~ Ideal gift for someone in the hospital
~ There’s plenty of room in your house for a cute little doll
~ You (or your child) probably don’t have a Jesus doll
~ Helps you start a conversation with Jesus
~ My Sweet Jesus fits right in with your
child's favorite toys
~ Reminds you that Jesus is always present
~ Inspires you to read the Bible
~ My Sweet Jesus' special shape allows for
maximum Hug-ability
~ My Sweet Jesus fits in with your
cozy country decor
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You (or your child) probably don’t have a Jesus doll
Gee, I wonder why not? ROTF

My Sweet Jesus fits in with your
cozy country decor

*Dies laughing* Man, it wouldn't go very well with my comic shop nerd decor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Folk Artist Carol Cote
“My husband lost his job of twenty years. That was a tough time for us–we were forced to sell our home and cut our expenses in half. But this also gave us something very valuable–lots of time to pray,” says Carol.
In fact, if it wasn’t for her husband losing his job, the My Sweet Jesus doll may have never been created. Afterall, Jesus has difficulty working through us if we are constantly too busy doing other things to listen to Him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Man that's pretty fucked up. Shit happened, so they found a way to cope. I don't see how time to pray could be more valuable than a job, a house and living expenses. They sound deperate to find any good in what happened. What better way than to say jesus did it to show you "the way".
"See, it's a GOOD thing our lives crumbled, see? There's good in it, see?" *Denial, denial*

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Some things only a bad guy

Some things only a bad guy like Matt Could come up with:

Reprogram it with sayings from like 50 cent or Dolemite

Use it as a voodoo doll

Use it in an obscene manner

use it as an atheist prop (ie holding up an "I don't actually exist" sign.

Burn it for a "Jesus in hell" for some yet uninvented religion. Laughing out loud

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
You can make it up to me by

You can make it up to me by ravishing me if you want. Laughing out loud

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
I actually do have a Jesus

I actually do have a Jesus bobble-head on top of my TV.

Christen
Christen's picture
User is offlineOffline
I also have a Jesus

I also have a Jesus bobblehead next to my television, as well as a dancing Napolean Dynamite doll.

ImmaculateDeception
ImmaculateDeception's picture
User is offlineOffline
Seems there's an update on

Seems there's an update on our little plastic emancipator:

Toys For Tots Does About Face On Jesus Dolls

(CBS4) BOSTON Toys for Tots has decided to accept a toymaker's gift of 4,000 bible-quoting Jesus dolls after all.

The program run by the Marine Corps Reserves had initially decided not to take the 12-inch tall religious figures from a California company because they didn't want to take a chance that the dolls would end up going to someone who might be offended by them.

Bill Grein, vice president of Marine Toys for Tots Foundation, in Quantico, Va., said Toys for Tots doesn't know anything about the religious affiliations of the children who receive its gifts.

"We can't take a chance on sending a talking Jesus doll to a Jewish family or a Muslim family," Grein said Tuesday. "Kids want a gift for the holiday season that is fun."

But a spokesman told CBS4 Wednesday they changed their minds and decided to accept the dolls from the Beverly Hills Teddy Bear Co.. Toys for Tots refused further comment.

According to the company's Web site, the button-activated, bearded Jesus doll recites Scripture such as "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again" and "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Marine Sgt. Paul McCawley, who heads Toys for Tots in western Massachusetts, told the Boston Herald his chapter would have "regretfully declined the offer" out of "political correctness" had it occurred here.

Each Toys for Tots chapter collects its own gifts.

They distributed 18 million stuffed animals, games, toy trucks and other gifts to children based on financial need in 2005.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Wonderful. Way to stick with your resolve, guys. What a joke.

Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
ImmaculateDeception

-----

Fuck. That sucks. I used to be on welfare, and get hampers for Xmas. If I'd gotten a lameass talking Jesus doll, I'd have been PISSED OFF. What a crappy present. Cursing Man

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:You can

MattShizzle wrote:
You can make it up to me by ravishing me if you want. :D

Hahahaha. Tsk, tsk....
blushing

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
More ideas for the Jesus

More ideas for the Jesus action figure to piss Christians off :

1. Make an obscene Diorama with Barbie (or Ken if you REALLY want to piss them off!)
2. Get some wood make a cross and crucify it (note - this may backfire and cause people to think you are devout.)
3. Dress him in Barbie's clothes - Drag Queen Jesus!
4. If you know how, reprogram what he says - ie "Get me a beer, bitch!"

Angelic_Atheist
Angelic_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
hmmmm Strong-arm???

hmmmm

Strong-arm???

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
ImmaculateDeception

(CBS4) BOSTON Toys for Tots has decided to accept a toymaker's gift of 4,000 bible-quoting Jesus dolls after all.

The program run by the Marine Corps Reserves had initially decided not to take the 12-inch tall religious figures from a California company because they didn't want to take a chance that the dolls would end up going to someone who might be offended by them.

Bill Grein, vice president of Marine Toys for Tots Foundation, in Quantico, Va., said Toys for Tots doesn't know anything about the religious affiliations of the children who receive its gifts.

"We can't take a chance on sending a talking Jesus doll to a Jewish family or a Muslim family," Grein said Tuesday. "Kids want a gift for the holiday season that is fun."

But a spokesman told CBS4 Wednesday they changed their minds and decided to accept the dolls from the Beverly Hills Teddy Bear Co.. Toys for Tots refused further comment.

According to the company's Web site, the button-activated, bearded Jesus doll recites Scripture such as "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again" and "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Marine Sgt. Paul McCawley, who heads Toys for Tots in western Massachusetts, told the Boston Herald his chapter would have "regretfully declined the offer" out of "political correctness" had it occurred here.

Each Toys for Tots chapter collects its own gifts.

They distributed 18 million stuffed animals, games, toy trucks and other gifts to children based on financial need in 2005.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This is bullshit. We should get Satan dolls and donate them to Toys for Tots to see if they'd accept them. The fucking xtians are getting so godamned sneaky....this should be an absolute abomination. Separation of Church and State is a fucking joke. What these dolls are doing is proselytizing, using poverty as a catalyst for spreading the infection, this fucking mind disorder. This is an outrage.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Fuck this shit. I am so sick

Anyone see the new Jesuspimp?

FundamentallyFlawed
FundamentallyFlawed's picture
User is offlineOffline
LeftofLarry wrote:This is

LeftofLarry wrote:
This is bullshit. We should get Satan dolls and donate them to Toys for Tots to see if they'd accept them. The fucking xtians are getting so godamned sneaky....this should be an absolute abomination. Separation of Church and State is a fucking joke. What these dolls are doing is proselytizing, using poverty as a catalyst for spreading the infection, this fucking mind disorder. This is an outrage.

If you like that, you're just gonna love this...

http://headlines.agapepress.org/archive/11/162006c.asp

Gifts Being Gathered for 2006 Operation Christmas Child Outreach

By Allie Martin and Jenni Parker
November 16, 2006

(AgapePress) - Shoeboxes filled with Christmas gifts for children around the world are being collected this week as part of Operation Christmas Child, a yearly international missions outreach project of evangelist Franklin Graham's Samaritan's Purse ministry.

Jim Harrelson, a spokesman for Operation Christmas Child (OCC), says the shoeboxes delivered through the Christmas missions project contain small gifts, but they can have a big and lasting impact on the lives of the recipients. "These little boxes are little tools of evangelism and discipleship that we see penetrating and really transcending all cultures and geography and languages," he notes.

Through OCC, "everybody can be a missionary," Harrelson says. "Just the giving of the gift has great power," he explains, "and when we do that in the name of Christ and with all the prayer involved in this thing, it's just amazing to see children come to Christ with such humility and childlike faith."

Over the years of this annual Christmas outreach, Samaritan's Purse has collected many inspiring stories, including accounts "of children coming to faith and moms and dads coming to faith and extended families and even villages," the project spokesman observes. "We even had a church that started in a remote village in the Ukraine," he says, "all because the boxes came in, children came to faith, and [the villagers] realized that they needed to start a church."

As a result, Harrelson continues, "a missionary went out there, a Ukrainian missionary, and actually started a church." So in that remote village in Eastern Europe, he says, "They've got probably 80 people going to that church today."

Graham Urges OCC Shoebox Stuffers to Pray Over Their Gifts
In an interview with Associated Press, Samaritan's Purse president and CEO Franklin Graham noted that the Operation Christmas Child project expects to deliver eight million shoebox gifts to 90 countries this year. "Some of these countries are very difficult to get into," he says, "and we specifically look for the difficult areas of the world."

And when he says difficult, Graham points out, that includes parts of the world "where there's been war, famine; we'll even get boxes into the Sudan to places like Darfur." While these are extremely tough places to go, he says, "we'll be there -- and we'll be there in Jesus' name, Lord willing."

Graham says the shoebox gifts for children overseas should be turned in to OCC collection centers no later than next Monday (November 20). When delivered, each shoebox will be accompanied by a gospel tract explaining the real meaning of Christmas, he notes; and he is asking Christians who pack shoeboxes with gifts and personal letters this year to pray over them, knowing that these gifts will minister not only to the children who receive them but to their parents as well.

The head of Samaritan's Purse emphasizes the fact that OCC is a one-on-one ministry. "It's giving one box to one child at a time, to about eight million of them," he explains. "It's a personal touch. The boxes are a little bit like snowflakes -- every box is different. There's no two boxes out there that are identical.

"The box is a tool ... in the hands of the person who's going to give that box," Graham adds. "It's a tool to tell a child that God loves them, cares for them; that Christ died for them; and that there's a family somewhere in the world that loves them very much and has sent this gift to them." Also, the ministry leader says, "it's an opportunity not only to touch that child with the truth about God's son, Jesus Christ, but this opens up the door for us to talk to the whole family."

Graham sees Operation Christmas Child as a tremendous outreach and ministry opportunity. If each family or child who packs a gift shoebox prays for the child who will receive that box, he says, "I just think God will use this in a mighty way to reach millions of children for His name" and, through them, reach those children's families as well.