Pope condemns use of religion for hate

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline

I was going to post this on the news and activist page, but because I want to add my two cents to this, I'll post here, if any other mods, want to move it, it's fine with me.

So the pope speaks to the Anti-Defamation league (a pro-israel group that's part of the bigger jewish lobby here in the states) about hate and religion and how we must all get along. This is part of his campaign to clean up his act after the hate-speech fiasco about muslims and to show that he doesn't hate other faiths. Ironically he is talking to jews, whome the muslims hate...so much..so first off he insults muslims, then insults them more by showing solidarity with jews. On top of it all...he is speaking to JEWS..whom were persecuted by the NAZIS whom he was a MEMBER of back in his YOUNGER days..and whom the CATHOLIC CHURCH was complicit in. how ironic and full of bullshit is this?

By ARIEL DAVID, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 4 minutes ago

VATICAN CITY -
Pope Benedict XVI met Thursday with representatives of a Jewish group and said that religion should never be used to justify hatred and violence.
ADVERTISEMENT

"May the Eternal One, our Father in heaven, bless every effort to eliminate from our world any misuse of religion as an excuse for hatred or violence," Benedict told a delegation of the Anti-Defamation League, a U.S. group that fights racism and anti-Semitism.

The comments came a month after Benedict's speech at a German university sparked anger in the Muslim world when he quoted a medieval text that characterized some of the Prophet Muhammad's teachings as "evil and inhuman" and called Islam a religion spread by the sword.

Since the uproar over the speech — which has raised a cloud over his planned visit next month to predominantly Islamic Turkey — Benedict has expressed his regrets for offending Muslims.

He has stressed that the quote didn't reflect his own opinion, saying his address was intended as an invitation to frank dialogue between religions.

Benedict repeated such a call in Thursday's
Vatican meeting with the ADL, saying that while Catholic-Jewish relations have greatly improved over recent years, initial steps "toward a more open conversation on religious themes" have so far been too tentative.

"It is precisely at this level of frank exchange and dialogue that we will find the basis and the motivation for a solid and fruitful relationship," he said.

The aim of such dialogue, he said earlier in the speech, is "to build relationships not just of tolerance but of authentic respect."

Abraham Foxman, national director of the ADL, said his group supports Benedict's desire for honest interfaith dialogue, particularly when it comes to relations with Muslims.

"If we really feel our faith is the only one that is right, how can we still have dialogue? The answer is that we must believe we have a truth, not the truth. As long as we believe that we can respect other truths," Foxman told The Associated Press in a telephone interview after the meeting. "This is the dialogue we need to have, both Jews and Christians, with the Muslims."

In his speech Thursday, the pope also reiterated his condemnation of anti-Semitism, saying that "the church deplores all forms of hatred or persecution directed against the Jews and all displays of anti-Semitism at any time and from any source."

Foxman said he had asked Benedict to be "a strong, constant voice against anti-Semitism," adding that the pope responded privately: "I will always be available for you as a voice against anti-Semitism."

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
Your comments concerning the

Your comments concerning the Muslim perspective seem proper, but if anything, this could be also a sign of the Pope fully displaying that he had nothing to do with the Nazi regime. I don't blame him for his past. It may be "ironic," but it has happened between every civilization throughout history.

It is a laughable attempt, overall: the Muslims will not be persuaded through words.

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Agreed - Muslims have

Agreed - Muslims have learned much from the west... they have learned about the political correctness and the 'politics of being insulted'. They also realize that it's a simple matter to be insulted.....

All that said, I do think the current pope is a good one.(I wrote 'our pope' first... - raised a catholic). He's reasoned.... I think both he and John Paul II had more of a positive effect on the world than a negative one....

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
They sure know how to be

They sure know how to be insulted pretty well in public, but their standard is absolutely skewed when considering their treatment of (and propaganda concerning) Jews and atheists.

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
The former pope was

The former pope was bearable. This one, in my opinion is too fundametnalist in ideology. I hear there's rumor around that he's trying to change catholic doctrine to be unfavorable and incompatible with evolution, which the catholic doctrine as it stands is clearly in favor of evolution.

I just find it ironic how the pope refuses to apologize to muslims but then meets with jews to clear up his image. I'm not a defending muslims but, the hypocrisy is clear here. The vatican and this pope have leaned further towards xtian nationalism than ever before. In my opinion anyway.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
Jews are considered undermen

Jews are considered undermen by Muslim leaders; I don't know if the Pope is senile, or if this is a part of some greater scheme, perhaps to unify non-Muslims against Muslims?

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
LeftofLarry wrote:The former

LeftofLarry wrote:
The former pope was bearable. This one, in my opinion is too fundametnalist in ideology. I hear there's rumor around that he's trying to change catholic doctrine to be unfavorable and incompatible with evolution, which the catholic doctrine as it stands is clearly in favor of evolution.

I haven't heard this, don't see why the catholic church would go in th at direction. It's been very intellectual and liberal for quite some time now.... In fact, are you aware that it's an official position of the catholic church than an atheist can go to heaven?

Quote:

I just find it ironic how the pope refuses to apologize to muslims but then meets with jews to clear up his image. I'm not a defending muslims but, the hypocrisy is clear here. The vatican and this pope have leaned further towards xtian nationalism than ever before. In my opinion anyway.

I think the pope made as much of an apology as you're likely to see from a pope....

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'