Recommended Reading on Evolution

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Recommended Reading on Evolution

If you guys do not know Dr. Sean Carroll, you soon will.

"A generation ago Richard Dawkins's "The Selfish Gene" changed our view of the living world and the forces of evolution that shaped it. Sean B. Carroll's "The Making of the Fittest" is destined to be the watershed book for the new generation." From the sleeve of the new book.

"Crime-scene investigators love DNA evidence. It can close a case that couldn't be solved any other way. This fascinating book presents the DNA evidence for evolution, and anyone who reads it should agree that it's an open-and-shut case. I hope that "The Making of the Fittest" will make a difference in the one and only place where Darwin's case is still seriously debated--the court of public opinion" Jonathan Weiner, Pulitzer PRize--winning author of "The Beak of the Finch"

"Sean Carroll's gift as a writer is the way in which he invites his readers to see science from the inside and the ease with which he explains the scientific wonders of cutting-edge research in biology. Always captivating, always accessible, "The Making of the Fittest" is a book for all readers, and one that fulfills Darwin's promise that the science of evolution would ultimately illuminate every aspect of the study of life itself. In Carroll's hands, it surely does." Kennet R. MIller, author of "Finding Darwin's God"

Dr. Sean Carroll is a Howard Hughes Medical Institute Investigator and is and professor of genetics at the University of Wisonsin-Madison. He is at the forefront of a new scientific principle called "Evo Devo" or Evolutionary Development. He has written a couple of books and his latest, entitled "The Making of the Fittest: DNA and the Ultimate Forensic Record of Evolution" is a must have in everyone's library. He reconciles, quite eloquently Darwin's theory of evolution with new molecular approaches for the study of life, more simply, DNA.

It is indeed ironic that when we use DNA to convict a murderer to death we hear no qualms from the religious right (whom after all, seem to LOVE the death penalty), however, when faced with forensic evidence of "fossilized" DNA in living organisms today as evidence of evolution (including Yellow Number Fives numerous posts on Transposable elements: indicating ancient viral infections), we hear a cold rejection from the xtian right. Why is there such a double standard?

In order to debate people who want to demean life with this incredulous idea of Intelligent Design, we must understand the principles behind evolution, what it is and how our novell understanding of molecular biology has opened up doors that Darwin himself would be making backflips over. With more understanding of science, we have solidified without any DOUBT that evolution is the driving force of life on this planet.

Sean Carroll is a leader in the fight against Intelligent Design. Please order this book and read it. It should sit next to Darwin's: "Origin of Species" on your bookshelf. Eduction is the only way we can fight this life demeaning idea called "intelligent design."

Sean Carroll's Profile with links to his research. From this page you can navigate to his lecture at teh HHMI Holiday Lectures and view him speaking. You can also order the HOliday lecture on evolution absoluttely FREEEEEEEE.
http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/evolution/carroll.html

In Rationality,
Left of Larry.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Thanks Larry HHMI looks

Thanks Larry HHMI looks great!

Quote:
You can also order the HOliday lecture on evolution absoluttely FREEEEEEEE.

Just ordered it, and I'll put it on youtube for the community when I get it.

LeftofLarry
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
HHMI is a respectable

HHMI is a respectable organization for science and medicine. Sean Carroll is speaking in Richmond next week. I'm going to the conference, co-sponsered by the University of Richmond and VCU. A professor on my thesis committee is friends with Sean Carroll. I recommend..the HHMI holiday lecture series to everyone. let me know when you post it Brian.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's his book The Making

Here's his book The Making of the Fittest: DNA and the Ultimate Forensic Record of Evolution:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0393061639/httpwwwration-20

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

LeftofLarry
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here is his other book.

Here is his other book. "Endless Forms Most Beautiful: The New Science of Evo Devo and the Making of the Animal Kingdom"

http://www.amazon.com/Endless-Forms-Most-Beautiful-Kingdom/dp/0393060160/httpwwwration-20

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
I added the first book in

I added the first book in the goodies section on the left Lar.

Also adjusted your links so we get credit.

LeftofLarry
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Right on....let me know if

Right on....let me know if you want me to send you the links next time so you can modify them to get credit for RRS.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
I think all you need to do

I think all you need to do is add this to the end: "httpwwwration-20" I'm not totally sure.