Is this site hypocritical?

skiminal
User is offlineOffline
Is this site hypocritical?

I'm in fear that this site may be becoming like everything it's against. I found a picture of the things you're against (can't find it anymore) and it said things such as religion, the beliefe that the holocaust didn't happen, and agnosticism. When I read that I found it not very different from a Christian saying "You can't believe in anything but what I believe in."
I consider myself to be agnostic in the sense that I'm undecided on my views of religion or the lack there of. I know you guys like to call yourselves Freethinkers, but how is trying to destroy every single different belief than your's freethinking? How is different than any other religion?
You may make the claim "Because we're right." But isn't that the exact claim a religious person would make? I mean, everyone thinks they're right. I'm just saying that from what I've seen of this site so far it really looks a lot like Christianity without God.

I do commend this "Killing them softly" forum though. Wish they had this on every forum.

I dunno, I'm just wanting you to be honest with yourself and consider what I'm saying. This is a smart community, I don't want to see it go corrupt.

guyrelax
User is offlineOffline
the rational squad

This comment has been moved here.

Luna
Luna's picture
User is offlineOffline
skiminal wrote:I'm in fear

skiminal wrote:
I'm in fear that this site may be becoming like everything it's against. I found a picture of the things you're against (can't find it anymore) and it said things such as religion, the beliefe that the holocaust didn't happen, and agnosticism. When I read that I found it not very different from a Christian saying "You can't believe in anything but what I believe in."
I consider myself to be agnostic in the sense that I'm undecided on my views of religion or the lack there of. I know you guys like to call yourselves Freethinkers, but how is trying to destroy every single different belief than your's freethinking? How is different than any other religion?
You may make the claim "Because we're right." But isn't that the exact claim a religious person would make? I mean, everyone thinks they're right. I'm just saying that from what I've seen of this site so far it really looks a lot like Christianity without God.

I do commend this "Killing them softly" forum though. Wish they had this on every forum.

I dunno, I'm just wanting you to be honest with yourself and consider what I'm saying. This is a smart community, I don't want to see it go corrupt.

I was somewhat relieved to come here and find this thread because after reading a recent bulletin posting on myspace I got to thinking the very same thing as the above quoted and wanted to voice my opinion on my perceptions.

First of all I would like to make clear that I am Agnostic (a silent militant Agnostic at that). I understand the position of wanting to exterminate theism and christianity and all those other 'we-are-right-and-if-you-don't-convert-you-rot-in-hell-you-heretic!!!!!1' pushers on the planet BUT..... it's just, unfortunately, unrealistic. There will always be stupid people that live their lives around religious fears and whatnot... these are the bottom-dwellers, for lack of a better word, that don't want to think for themselves or can not face reality so instead they must jump on a corrupted religious leader's hatred band wagon. This you will never change. If evangilical Aethiests and Agnostics take the tactics of the evangical fundamentalist christians then your group and group efforts will be just as loathed and despised as the Christian groups.

I'd like to add that I have taken a hiatus from message board posting (the other billions of boards I have been involved in in the past).... thanks for sucking me in again, guys. If I end up sticking around and getting involved on a daily basis could someone just shoot me and put me out of my misery please? Thanks in advance. Laughing out loud

*edit - I would also like to make clear that I have no problem with conservative christians that do not force their beliefs or dogma on others.... believe it or not, but they do exist.

Support bacteria--it's the only culture some people have

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Luna wrote: I was somewhat

Luna wrote:

I was somewhat relieved to come here and find this thread because after reading a recent bulletin posting on myspace I got to thinking the very same thing as the above quoted and wanted to voice my opinion on my perceptions.

Did you read the whole thread? And if so can you point out our hypocrisy, because nobody else has done so yet. Maybe you can help them out.

Quote:
If evangilical Aethiests and Agnostics take the tactics of the evangical fundamentalist christians then your group and group efforts will be just as loathed and despised as the Christian groups.

What tactics specifically have we taken that Evangelical Christians have taken, other than get our message to as many people as possible? Im curious, lay them out for me let's take em one by one, and see if there is anything wrong with them, or if they're valid, or invalid.

(note: me asking these questions is the direct opposite of what an evangelical Christian would do. This thread remaining on this board is the direct opposite of how an evangelical Christian board is run)

And by the way, saying that atheists and agnostics can be evangelical is extremely condescending considering you can't find a single definition for evangelical that doesn't include you being a Christian. Calling me a Christian is worse than calling me a fucking asshole... so thanks for that. (I'm hoping I was supposed to read between the lines)

DEFINITIONS OF EVANGELICAL

Quote:
I'd like to add that I have taken a hiatus from message board posting (the other billions of boards I have been involved in in the past).... thanks for sucking me in again, guys. If I end up sticking around and getting involved on a daily basis could someone just shoot me and put me out of my misery please?

Will do. shooting

Luna
Luna's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:Luna wrote: I

Sapient wrote:
Luna wrote:

Did you read the whole thread? And if so can you point out our hypocrisy, because nobody else has done so yet. Maybe you can help them out.

Quote:
If evangilical Aethiests and Agnostics take the tactics of the evangical fundamentalist christians then your group and group efforts will be just as loathed and despised as the Christian groups.

What tactics specifically have we taken that Evangelical Christians have taken, other than get our message to as many people as possible? Im curious, lay them out for me let's take em one by one, and see if there is anything wrong with them, or if they're valid, or invalid.

(note: me asking these questions is the direct opposite of what an evangelical Christian would do. This thread remaining on this board is the direct opposite of how an evangelical Christian board is run)

And by the way, saying that atheists and agnostics can be evangelical is extremely condescending considering you can't find a single definition for evangelical that doesn't include you being a Christian. Calling me a Christian is worse than calling me a fucking asshole... so thanks for that. (I'm hoping I was supposed to read between the lines)

DEFINITIONS OF EVANGELICAL

Quote:
I'd like to add that I have taken a hiatus from message board posting (the other billions of boards I have been involved in in the past).... thanks for sucking me in again, guys. If I end up sticking around and getting involved on a daily basis could someone just shoot me and put me out of my misery please?

Will do. shooting

woahhh, loosen your bullets there, big boy. I am on your side, I really am.

Did I read the whole thread? In all honesty no I didn't, does that mean I should just shut up and not say anything? Hell, I'm just a stupid n00b with under 5 posts I am surprised anybody even read my post, so thanks.

Maybe evangilical is the wrong word, but your aethiest piousness is no different than what an evangelical christian would do.

example of hypocrisy (in a myspace bulletin):

Quote:
Sep 19, 2006 12:10 PM
Subject Sam Harris Letter to a Christian Nation RELEASED TODAY!

----> HELP CHRISTIANS ABANDON THEIR SUPERSTITIONS BY EXPOSING THEM TO THIS BOOK!

You will never be able to force anybody to abandon any beliefs that you don't approve of that they may not have.

ps - loosen your bullets... there's no need to be so defensive. and YES! your replies remind me of disgruntled christians I have debated with on the internet.

oh yeah, and I guess if you can post definitions to support your cause and omit the relevant ones I can, too, huh:

Quote:
American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source e·van·gel·i·cal (vn-jl-kl, vn-) Pronunciation Key also e·van·gel·ic (-jlk)
adj.
1. Of, relating to, or in accordance with the Christian gospel, especially one of the four gospel books of the New Testament.

2. Evangelical Of, relating to, or being a Protestant church that founds its teaching on the gospel.

3. Evangelical Of, relating to, or being a Christian church believing in the sole authority and inerrancy of the Bible, in salvation only through regeneration, and in a spiritually transformed personal life.

4. Evangelical
Of or relating to the Lutheran churches in Germany and Switzerland.

a. Of or relating to all Protestant churches in Germany.
b. Of or relating to the group in the Church of England that stresses personal conversion and salvation by faith.

5. Characterized by ardent or crusading enthusiasm; zealous: an evangelical liberal.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=evangelical&x=49&y=6

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Luna wrote: woahhh, loosen

Luna wrote:

woahhh, loosen your bullets there, big boy. I am on your side, I really am.

Eh?

Quote:
Did I read the whole thread? In all honesty no I didn't, does that mean I should just shut up and not say anything?

No. Where did I say anything like that?

Quote:
Maybe evangilical is the wrong word, but your aethiest piousness is no different than what an evangelical christian would do.

You're on my side, yet just used yet another word that denotes god belief?

You did it again. Very smug.

Pious: having or showing a dutiful spirit of reverence for God or an earnest wish to fulfill religious obligations.

Quote:

example of hypocrisy (in a myspace bulletin):
Quote:
Sep 19, 2006 12:10 PM
Subject Sam Harris Letter to a Christian Nation RELEASED TODAY!

----> HELP CHRISTIANS ABANDON THEIR SUPERSTITIONS BY EXPOSING THEM TO THIS BOOK!

Where's the hypocrisy? I don't see this claim proven yet. Where did we claim we don't want people to abandon superstitious beliefs while we ask people to abandon superstitious beliefs?

Where is the hypocrisy?

Quote:
You will never be able to force anybody to abandon any beliefs that you don't approve of that they may not have.

I agree. That's why we don't "force" anybody, ever.

Quote:
ps - loosen your bullets... there's no need to be so defensive.

I suggest you reread the post. Don't imagine some sort of defensive inflection and notice that most of what I am doing is asking questions open and honestly. It would however seem to me that you are projecting your defensiveness.

Quote:
and YES! your replies remind me of disgruntled christians I have debated with on the internet.

Ironic, because virtually every Christian argument is a "projection," something you seem to be doing right now. So we're on an equal playing field then. We both think the other is acting Christian, now let's get back to that hypocrisy charge. I'd love to see someone prove how we are hypocritical, as it's something I don't want to be, and if proven hypocritical I will make sure to change our ways.

Quote:
oh yeah, and I guess if you can post definitions to support your cause and omit the relevant ones I can, too, huh:

Quote:
American Heritage Dictionary -
5. Characterized by ardent or crusading enthusiasm; zealous: an evangelical liberal.

Relevant? It still loosely denotes god belief. You've also gotta jump to definition 5 to have anything that even comes close to what we're doing. The point is moot, I said to you "(I'm hoping I was supposed to read between the lines)." All you had to do was say "Yes, please read between the lines. I wasn't calling you Christian, I was mereley stating that you had a lot of zeal and enthusiasm pertaining to atheism." See then you wouldn't have come off so defensive and against us... while claiming I was defensive and you weren't against us. Jeez, seeing that... I'm beginning to wonder if this hypocrisy charge is yet another "projection."

Someone... anyone please... prove to us how we are hypocrites.

elnathan
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:

Sapient wrote:

That's an interesting challenge, and another that you can't loose.

According to Oxford wrote:

hypocrisy

• noun (pl. hypocrisies) the practice of claiming to have higher standards or beliefs than is the case.

Given that definition, it would be an impossible task to actually "prove" hypocrisy because there is no way to "prove" the claims are higher than they actually are. Well done!

by the way, I chose a definition from a less biased source than the one you offered from infidelguy.

What I find most interesting is how you seem to prefer to attack the terms being used, rather than addressing the issues they imply. For instance....you prefer the Oxford definitions over the Webster definitions--that you have admitted are the most commonly accepted--because the OED is the...how was it you put it? ... oh yeah...
Generally regarded as the most comprehensive, accurate, and scholarly dictionary of the English language
Which in and of its self indicates you consider yourself above the common population. Which seems to give you the appearance of virtue. Which is...according to Merriam-Webster, is...

1 : a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not; especially : the false assumption of an appearance of virtue...
2 : an act or instance of hypocrisy

(strawman editted out to reduce confusion and temptation)
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/hypocrisy

In is also interesting that you would imply that you were "supposed to read between the lines" of a previous post." While I understand that is a common phrase and implication used amongst the layman, I am surprised that you would percieved such inference in this discussion. When one "reads between the lines" it is very subjective understanding by the reader. While this "reading between the lines" may be an effective method among those with similar thinking in a given area, it seems a bit presumptious to think that is the case here--especially given that you seem to be at odds with most ever non-RRSer so far. So there is no "common ground" to indicate that you would actually be able to read between the lines of the response and understand what was actually implied--though not specifically written. {just an observation}

Another interesting point that "indicates" hypocricy around here is that theists are regarded as brainwashed, unintellegent, and superstitious individuals that are dismissed as not worthy of recognition or consideration. It seems a simple task to dismiss someone off-handedly and then claim superiority.

Your following statment....
"I'd love to see someone prove how we are hypocritical, as it's something I don't want to be, and if proven hypocritical I will make sure to change our ways."

I also what I think you consider a misnomer? I doubt you would "love" it at all. Especially given your implication of the impossibility of it happening. Given the evidense that you--RRS--is perceived as being hypocritical, why not "change [your] ways" now? It is evident that you believe you (collective you) are above a large percentage of the population, and seem to have a perception that the RRS is above reproach. There is an air of arrogance here that attains a level that I have not previously observed. Even the pictures/avatars here have what appears to be a smugness supporting that arrogance.

The irony of the RRS position is so strong it is nearly magnetic. Perhaps that's why Luna fears he may be "sucked in" to participate on a daily basis. Perhaps that's why I haven't left yet. The audacity of some of the remarks around here are simply--and sometimes extravagantly--flabergasting. The fact that these things seem to be ignored or are totally oblivious to its members, is a strong indicator of a level of hypocricy that is so high that it is beyond recognition.

That level is similar to being so high, that one's head is in the clouds and they are surrounded by the fog, so dense they are unable to see anything.

Of course you don't consider RRS hypocritical. 95% of balding men deny they "comb-over" their hair. They often emphatically claim they are just following the natural part on their head. It is impossible to prove that is not their reason for doing so, it is, none the less, all too obvious that is the case!

In intellectual matters you can think things out, but in spiritual matters you will only think yourself into further wandering thoughts and more confusion. --Oswald Chambers

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
elnathan wrote:Sapient

elnathan wrote:
Sapient wrote:

That's an interesting challenge, and another that you can't loose.

Interesting considering that in this same post you later call us hypocrites again.

According to Oxford wrote:
Quote:

hypocrisy

• noun (pl. hypocrisies) the practice of claiming to have higher standards or beliefs than is the case.

Given that definition, it would be an impossible task to actually "prove" hypocrisy because there is no way to "prove" the claims are higher than they actually are. Well done!

No it wouldn't. You're having a hard time understanding definitions again. You'd simply have to show how we claim to have certain beliefs but then our actions show completely otherwise.

Quote:
by the way, I chose a definition from a less biased source than the one you offered from infidelguy.

I didn't get any definitions from the infidelguy.

Quote:
....you prefer the Oxford definitions over the Webster definitions--that you have admitted are the most commonly accepted--because the OED is the...how was it you put it? ... oh yeah...
Generally regarded as the most comprehensive, accurate, and scholarly dictionary of the English language
Which in and of its self indicates you consider yourself above the common population.

Do you realize that my source for the OED being the most accurate dictionary actually comes from "the common population?" I am not above the "common population" in this sense, I am simply adhering to the thoughts that the common population have come up with. Wikipedia is an encylclopedia created by the "common population," an encyclopedia that I've happened to never contribute to.

While we're on the topic of definitions from the "common population" in wikipedia let's look at something they say about agnosticism:

wikipedia wrote:

Some claim that there is nothing distinctive in being an agnostic because even theists do not claim to know God exists, only to believe it, and many even agree there is room for doubt; and atheists in the broader sense do not claim to know there is no God, only not to believe in one.

Is it you, in fact that is trying to act "above the common population?"

Quote:
Which seems to give you the appearance of virtue. Which is...according to Merriam-Webster, is...

1 : a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not; especially : the false assumption of an appearance of virtue...
2 : an act or instance of hypocrisy

(strawman editted out to reduce confusion and temptation)
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/hypocrisy

Considering that I was actually adhering to the viewpoint of the "common population" (wikipedia) instead of acting above it, this point is moot, no response needed.

Quote:
especially given that you seem to be at odds with most ever non-RRSer so far.

What consitutes an RRSer or nonRRSer in your mind?

Quote:
Another interesting point that "indicates" hypocricy around here is that theists are regarded as brainwashed, unintellegent, and superstitious individuals that are dismissed as not worthy of recognition or consideration. It seems a simple task to dismiss someone off-handedly and then claim superiority.

This doesn't fit the definition of hypocrisy. But nevertheless... I'd never say theists are unintelligent, I would have no problem claiming that almost all are brainwashed and superstitious. I also would never "dismiss them as not worthy of recognition or consideration." In fact it is because I think completely the opposite that we are here trying to help them.

Quote:
Your following statment....
"I'd love to see someone prove how we are hypocritical, as it's something I don't want to be, and if proven hypocritical I will make sure to change our ways."

I also what I think you consider a misnomer? I doubt you would "love" it at all. Especially given your implication of the impossibility of it happening.

Ever hear the story of the scientist who spent 15 years of his life lecturing about a scientific principle that he worked on and helped create? He was speaking at Oxford (I believe) about his lifes work, and teaching everyone what he had learned. A student got up and with ease in less than a minute he showed the scientist who had dedicated his lifes work to this cause, that his thinking was completely flawed and that he was wrong. The scientist proceeded to shake the students hand and thank him profusely for correcting him, for showing him the error, for erasing 15 years of his life... metaphorically speaking I am that scientist.

I will reitterate... I would love it if you could show me my hypocrisy, so I can change the error in my ways. I would be grateful.

Quote:
Given the evidense that you--RRS--is perceived as being hypocritical, why not "change [your] ways" now?

If we lived our life trying to adhere ourselves to fixing what people incorrectly perceive about us, we'd be changing ourselves all the time. If I change something based on your incorrect perceptions about me, people I respect are likely to change their perceptions of me, in a negative manner.

Quote:
It is evident that you believe you (collective you) are above a large percentage of the population

To some degree we are. In the sense that we're all human and have certain rights equal to all, no... we aren't. In the sense that our beliefs are more tenable than the beliefs of theists, you're damn right we're above them.

Quote:
and seem to have a perception that the RRS is above reproach.

This claim is simply ridiculous. If we were above reproach, your view wouldn't be allowed here. I was recently told by a few people who I respect greatly and that our community (InfidelGuy/RRS) respect greatly, that my strong suit was my ability to take criticism.

elnathan
User is offlineOffline
Wow....shakes head....just

Wow....shakes head....just wow!

btw....I would "love" to know that scientists name! Considering I have heard that story twice before in other places, but never given a name, I can only assume it is a collegiate myth.

In intellectual matters you can think things out, but in spiritual matters you will only think yourself into further wandering thoughts and more confusion. --Oswald Chambers

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
elnathan wrote: btw....I

elnathan wrote:

btw....I would "love" to know that scientists name! Considering I have heard that story twice before in other places, but never given a name, I can only assume it is a collegiate myth.

Watch this film. 13 minutes and 30 seconds into Part 1, Richard Dawkins explains the story as he remembers witnessing it.

I was however mistaken... it wasn't a student, it was an American researcher. Richard didn't give a name, as it was unimportant to making his point.

While you're there you might as well watch both videos all the way through. Maybe you'll appreciate where we're coming from a little better.

Luna
Luna's picture
User is offlineOffline
Elnathan said: Quote:What I

Elnathan said:

Quote:
What I find most interesting is how you seem to prefer to attack the terms being used, rather than addressing the issues they imply.

I noticed that, too. I am glad somebody else can see it, as well. It’s a common tactic of somebody that has been called out and is too self-righteous (OMFG! Another ‘religious’ word!!!!1) to pick apart petty details instead facing the real issue.

I would like to point out that Christianity (and mainstream world religions in general) did not create words or terms. These words and terms have more to do with human behavior than they do with certain religions. The fact that you can get so “offended” by a certain word because you think it classifies you as “Christian” or “religious” is sort of bizarre.

Quote:
The irony of the RRS position is so strong it is nearly magnetic. Perhaps that's why Luna fears he may be "sucked in" to participate on a daily basis.

Not that it matters, but I am a ‘she.’

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Luna wrote: It’s a common

Luna wrote:

It’s a common tactic of somebody that has been called out and is too self-righteous (OMFG! Another ‘religious’ word!!!!1) to pick apart petty details instead facing the real issue.

I think it's important to note while I have been addressing the real issue the whole time in addition to words and their usage, this hypocrisy claim has yet to be proven. Ironic statement to make considering you haven't addressed my issues or questions fully.

How many arguments will you make that seem like projections?

Quote:
The fact that you can get so “offended” by a certain word because you think it classifies you as “Christian” or “religious” is sort of bizarre.

What I actually said was calling me an evangelical which is a word used to describe Christian preachers is more offensive than calling me a fucking asshole.

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luna wrote:

Luna wrote:

Free Thought is ( for those who are interested, no one can be forced to discuss or debate) , Sharing ideas/beliefs and information and discussing or debating...QUESTIONING...everyones ideas/beliefs and info.

The Evangelicals that I know and love, unforetunetly really do not do what Free Thought does. They mean well though.

Evangelicals tactics are the opposite of Free Thought. Bare Appeals to peoples Emotions and selling a bogus product.

1) Sin is an invented problem.

2) Salvation is an invented solution to an invented problem.

3) Playing on peoples hardships/ emotional trials to sell a bogus product. People can be lonely, going through divorse or other family problems. Suffering from mental illnesses, lost job, ect and these hardships are played upon by Evangelicals to sell a bogus product. Many other ways to deal with these hardships that can not only do what theism can do to gain a sense of security and belonging, but other things can do a much better job than theism and religion. There are better ways to feel loved or solve these kinds of problem than God belief...

Religion is a bogus product and non-religious people who might fall for religions pitch have a right to know as well as Christians who WANT to descuss or debate about religion and theism. There is no Forcing in Free Thought. Nothing wrong with searching for folks who might be curious or who might want to debate about thier theism.

4) Religion uses Appeals to untestable bribe to sell thier bogus product ( heaven) that no one in this life can know if they are going to get for being Faithful.

5) Religion uses Appeals to force to sell their bogus product. Hell.

6) Religion uses Appeals to guilt to sell thier bogus product. You are a sinner. Don't you want to have a relationship with Jesus who died for your sins? Sometimes some Christains use your family who are Christian as help in selling thier bogus product.

7) Religion uses uses logically fallacious argumentations for thier "Truths", where questioning is discouraged and any questioning allowed is entertained very briefly UNLIKE Free Thought. Anti-theists, like it or not, are excercising Free Thought. You can not honestly compare anti-theism to Evangelical. I and many others know this from life experience.

There is a BIG difference between anti-theism and Evangelical tactics in exchanging ideas/beliefs and information. Big differences.

Quote:
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/Evangelical
Main Entry: 1evan·gel·i·cal
Pronunciation: "E-"van-'je-li-k&l, "e-v&n-
Variant(s): also evan·gel·ic /-ik/
Function: adjective
1 : of, relating to, or being in agreement with the Christian gospel especially as it is presented in the four Gospels
2 : PROTESTANT
3 : emphasizing salvation by faith in the atoning death of Jesus Christ through personal conversion, the authority of Scripture, and the importance of preaching as contrasted with ritual
4 a capitalized : of or relating to the Evangelical Church in Germany b often capitalized : of, adhering to, or marked by fundamentalism : FUNDAMENTALIST c often capitalized : LOW CHURCH
5 : marked by militant or crusading zeal : EVANGELISTIC
- Evan·gel·i·cal·ism /-li-k&-"li-z&m/ noun
- evan·gel·i·cal·ly /-li-k(&Eye-winklE/ adverb

Evangelical is religion only. It is an uncharitable misuse of the word to pin on anti-theists or Free Thinkers.

BTW I am not necessarily an anti-theist ( I am anti-holy books) and yet I am not banned or kicked out, like what you could expect in a Church or many Christian forum where discussions is very often one sided. Where questioning is not like the questionings and dialogues we see in Free Thought. Rational Response Squad are Free Thinkers too.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christen wrote:I'm no expert

Christen wrote:
I'm no expert on this...not even close, so maybe Todangst or someone can explain this to me.

I see this was answered already, but I'll chime in.

Quote:
Atheism is defined as: a lack of a belief in god or absence of belief in god . How is that possible? If you have any sort of opinion on the matter (whether it be positive, neutral or negative), that's a belief, correct?

You're equivocating on your usage of the word 'belief'. In the first sense, 'belief' means acceptance of a claim. In the second sense, belief is use to denote 'any thought you might hold'

Atheism is a lack of belief in the first sense of the word. I don't believe X.

So your argument here amounts to a game. Any lack of belief is itself a belief, because it involves a thought!

Here's a better way to define atheism: a lack of belief in the claims of theists, concerning theism.

Quote:

You have to have certain beliefs to arrive at your lack of belief....right?

Yes, but these beliefs would not be a part of atheism.

If I reject the claims of theists based on the principle of rationality, the principles of rationality themselves would not be atheism.

A nonbelief is simply a lack of a belief. Whatever motivates it, whether emotion or reason, would not be part of the non belief itself.

Quote:

I'm sure it's going to come up, so I'm going to bring up the "all babies are atheists argument". They have no belief either way, so they truly would lack a belief in god or anything else. But how does that argument apply to adults (atheist or theist) who formulate their opinions based on knowledge, faith or beliefs?

It helps separate the fact that non belief is the fallback position in this debate, as non belief does not require anything.

*** Nice post, anti-faith.

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

elnathan
User is offlineOffline
Luna wrote:

Luna wrote:

I am sorry...I should have been able to figure that one out! I am embarrassed now.Peace ?

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
elnathan wrote:Luna

elnathan wrote:
Luna wrote:

I am sorry...I should have been able to figure that one out! I am embarrassed now.Peace ?

Why? Why should you have been able to figure THAT out when so many other obvious things slip right through your understanding?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
On another level I don't

On another level I don't know about that darth. I mean over the net its not like he can really check to see if she is a she. And then in person sometimes it is hard to tell with some people. Also there is the aspect of humans thinking in generalizations and dispositions of people to assume certain things about other people. Then you could get into stats and he could say his assumption was based on numbers. I think in America there are more non-religious males then females, at least according to some studies. However if you look at groups this doesn't look wrong, but then again maybe it is just that males have been raised to be more out spoken so they find it easier do speak out. Then AGAIN this is the internet so anyone can speak without fear. If I don’t really know the sex of some I tend to think of them in the male connotation, but that might just be my mind working out the neutral generalization. I say neutral as we are on the topic of sex and to me males are not attractive. And though some my view other males as challengers I don’t seek females based on other males views so they might as well be neutral. Although this is all somewhat hypothetical and I don’t have a degree in anything and it is really my best guess of what my subconscious ‘thinking’, it is mine.

I'm going to sleep now...

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Exactly. She had to tell

Exactly.
She had to tell them that was a she. We posted what 'atheist' means and it was argued for three friggin' pages. How obtuse is that?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh

darth_josh wrote:
Exactly.
She had to tell them that was a she. We posted what 'atheist' means and it was argued for three friggin' pages. How obtuse is that?

about 179 degrees....

elnathan
User is offlineOffline
I was not arguing about the

I was not arguing about the definition of atheist--that would have been you, I have a great deal of understanding, the problem (yours) appears to be that you can't conprehend the fact that someone may think differently than you and still be right.

I can see the obtuse-ness here. It's kind of what boxers do when fighting in a ring. No matter what stance your opponent takes, you move in the opposite direction. I am not surprised by it. It is yet another example of the hypocrisy of this forum. The moto here is to free the minds of those with what you consider a disorder. But, you have little or no compassion for the ignorant. You seem to prefer to drive the stance home, beat the person into submission, I was asking questions, most of what I got was insults.

Trying to have a debate around here is ridiculous--if one has a different view than you. It reminds me of having a baseball game but never getting to bat--I can't win, so why should I play? But, that's what you want anyway isn't it? You get all defensive and hostile if someone comes along and rocks the boat!

Oh...and why do I think I should have been able to tell Luna was a female? Because it is so easy to pick out the dicks around here!

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
elnathan wrote:I was not

elnathan wrote:
I was not arguing about the definition of atheist--that would have been you, I have a great deal of understanding, the problem (yours) appears to be that you can't conprehend the fact that someone may think differently than you and still be right.

Now all you need to do is repeat this, while looking in a mirror.

Quote:

I can see the obtuse-ness here. It's kind of what boxers do when fighting in a ring. No matter what stance your opponent takes, you move in the opposite direction. I am not surprised by it. It is yet another example of the hypocrisy of this forum.

Where's the hypocisy? Hypocrisy has to do with double standards, with internal inconsistency. You haven't mentioned anything hypocritical....

But watch, you'll demonstrate hypocrisy yourself... it's always that way... the complainer often is complaining about himself...

Quote:

The moto here is to free the minds of those with what you consider a disorder. But, you have little or no compassion for the ignorant.

This is completely untrue. I am more than happy to answer questions, and to clarify things.

I think what irritates people is having to provide the same argument 23 times.

Quote:

You seem to prefer to drive the stance home, beat the person into submission, I was asking questions, most of what I got was insults.

Look, you said this:

"What term do you use when referring to a person that doesn't believe or disbelieve in god(s)??"

And it had to be pointed out to you that that's a contradiction.

Because it equates to this:

What term do you use when refering to a person that believes and doesn't believe at the same time?

And we had to point out that that is impossible, because it's a contradiction.

So could it possibly be that your own position was in error, and that the reason others were arguing with you was because your position was in error?

Quote:

Trying to have a debate around here is ridiculous--if one has a different view than you.

In other words, the problems with your claims were pointed out to you here, and you don't like being wrong.

Join the rest of the world.

But please don't whine about it.

Quote:

It reminds me of having a baseball game but never getting to bat--I can't win, so why should I play?

This is a lie. If you have an argument, present it. Go on, post your argument.

Quote:

Oh...and why do I think I should have been able to tell Luna was a female? Because it is so easy to pick out the dicks around here!

This coming from the guy who just complained about insults....

There's a word for someone who complains about behavior that they themselves partake in.

Hypocrite.

Now that you've demonstrated that you know how to act like one yourself, perhaps you can get around to trying to demonstrate any of your claims here concerning hypocrisy on this board.

The reality, so far, is that people have disagreed with you, and some have become annoyed that they've had to repeat the same points of the disagreement. This is not hypocrisy.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
I'll rest on the arguments

I'll rest on the arguments of Todangst. Good job bud.

elnathan
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote: This is

todangst wrote:

This is completely untrue. I am more than happy to answer questions, and to clarify things.

Really? How do you purpose to clarify things when you seem unable to understand the question?

You completly ignored the purpose and implication of the question by returning to the technicalities of the terms being used.

Quote:

I think what irritates people is having to provide the same argument 23 times.

I am irritated by people who use exaggeration to prove a point. But, it effective for using an illistration of the hypocricy here because I got the same argument/definition/response each time I asked the questions, and now you complain about my repetative arguments, when you used even more repetatition than I.

Quote:

Look, you said this:

"What term do you use when referring to a person that doesn't believe or disbelieve in god(s)??"

And it had to be pointed out to you that that's a contradiction.

Because it equates to this:

What term do you use when refering to a person that believes and doesn't believe at the same time?

More repetition...You ignore the point, and fall back to technicallities again. You seem to be unable to admit there are people who just haven't made up their minds about god(s) yet. They are unsure. They can't/haven't commited to either side of this argument--whether there is or is not a god. You still cling to your technical definitions and use them as an argument, while completely ignoring the fact that there are people who are in the middle on this.

Sure, you can use the OED, to show how these people are really atheists. But you still seem to want to ignore the fact that there are agnostics. You can say what you like, and obviously believe you are right, but that really comes across as denial. You deny that there are people who fit into Webster's definition. Well, actually, I think you deny that Webster is a valid source because the OED is recognized by scholars as the definative source.

While I may have chosen the wrong word--disbelief--thinking it would be understoood, you chose to emphasis that technically, it means not having belief. Do you really not see the point trying to be made here? Granted you may technically more intellegent than I am. But are you so aloof that you really don't get the point I am trying to make. Can you not lower you interpretations and just simply say..."Yeah, I can see that?" Or do you just want to continue your brow beating in order to emphasis that you are more intellegent than I and not worthy of a decent reply because I am not as smart as you?

It's quite baffling really! We have spent nearly four pages arguing over the technicalities of terms, and battling over definitions, and you continue to ignore something that is common knowledge among the mass population of the US. I have asked this before, and the response has been along the lines that said population is ignorant. Which implies you are more informed than them. While the reality seems to be that you just ignore that they have a perception that differs from your strong athiest postition, and that you are better than they are because of it. That's hypocricy, because you aren't better than they are. While you may be more intellegent than the masses, it seems to have left you with an inability to realize they have a valid perception. That you don't know everything.

Quote:

So could it possibly be that your own position was in error, and that the reason others were arguing with you was because your position was in error?

My "position" most certainly is NOT in error. The words I chose to use may have been; the definitions I percieved may have been. But my position, sir, is very accurate.

Quote:

Quote:

Trying to have a debate around here is ridiculous--if one has a different view than you.

In other words, the problems with your claims were pointed out to you here, and you don't like being wrong.

I don't believe anyone "likes" being wrong. If I am proven wrong, I will begrudging admit it.

You (and Sapient) pointed out how the words I used to express my claims were wrong according to the OED, but that is really not an accurate assessment of my "Claim".

My claim is that there are people who haven't made up their mind as to whether there is a god, nor have they decided there is not a god--in their own little world of perception.

If you deny those people exist, then you are worse off than a hipocrite, and certainly not as intellegent as you project.

The complaint about whinning is so typical an hypocritical. You are the one that seems to be doing most of the complaining here.

Quote:

Quote:

It reminds me of having a baseball game but never getting to bat--I can't win, so why should I play?

You are an ass. And a dumb one at that! How can you dare to call me a liar when I an stating what I think? It is an opinion, how can an opinion be a lie?

Quote:

There's a word for someone who complains about behavior that they themselves partake in.

Hypocrite.

Wrong word! check your precious OED.

Quote:

The reality, so far, is that people have disagreed with you, and some have become annoyed that they've had to repeat the same points of the disagreement. This is not hypocrisy.

You are correct. I define that as stupid. You didn't have to repeat yourself. I continued to try and reword my questions in terms that could be more easily understood to represent my point/position. You, and the rest, seem to be the one compelled to give the same tired old repetative answers, and then complain that you "had" to do it. Perhaps calling this site hypocritical was too generous.?

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
elnathan wrote:todangst

elnathan wrote:
todangst wrote:

Really?

Yes really. I do it all the time. I enjoy talking about these issues, that is why I am here.

Quote:

How do you purpose to clarify things when you seem unable to understand the question?

I understood your questions. Your problem is that you struggled with the answers to them.

Quote:

You completly ignored the purpose and implication of the question

No, that's not true. I already dealt with your corrected version of your question. I just returned to your intial confusion to demonstrate a point - that you started out here employing an internally contradictory question.

Quote:

by returning to the technicalities of the terms being used.

"Technicality"? Your original question was internally contradictory. And your revised version incorrectly confused disbelief for denial.

These were the basic errors.

If you want more clarification, ask.

Quote:

I am irritated by people who use exaggeration to prove a point.

Is it really necessary for me to go and count how many times the same points were repeated here? It may well go over 23 times.

Quote:

But, it effective for using an illistration of the hypocricy here because I got the same argument/definition/response each time I asked the questions,

Ask the same question, and you'll get the same answer, because 2+2 will continue to equal '4'. Repeating the same point to you is not a hypocrisy! You're desparate to accuse someone of hypocrisy, but you can't even muster a proper example.

Quote:

You ignore the point, and fall back to technicallities again.

I'm sorry, but this is simply false. I posted this to demonstrate precisely why it has been so difficult to get through to you.

You did attempt to correct this error, but please recall that I responded to the equally-erroneous second edition of your argument as well. So to say that I am "ignoring your point' is a lie.

I'll post my response to the second version of your question to demonstrate that, and then you can apologize to avoid being a hypocrite yourself.

Quote:

Sure, you can use the OED, to show how these people are really atheists. But you still seem to want to ignore the fact that there are agnostics.

A 'doubter' is not an active believer, ergo anyone who doubts is functionally an atheist. They lack belief.

Your error is that you have equated disbelief with denial. One can disbelief, without denying.

That is the solution to your dilemma.

Quote:

You can say what you like, and obviously believe you are right, but that really comes across as denial.

I don't see how it comes off as denial, seeing that I provide you with reasons for why I hold to what I hold to. These reasons are here for you to examine. So let's stick to the argument and stay away from attacking character.

Quote:

While I may have chosen the wrong word--disbelief--thinking it would be understoood, you chose to emphasis that technically, it means not having belief.

Technically?! That is what the word means! To not believe is to not believe.

Quote:

Do you really not see the point trying to be made here?

Yes. The problem is that you don't seem to be able to grasp that we not only see it, but have shown why your claims are in error.

You are confusing disbelief for denial.

Quote:

Granted you may technically more intellegent than I am. But are you so aloof that you really don't get the point I am trying to make.

If you want clarification, ask nicely, and stop tossing insults every 10 seconds.

Quote:

Can you not lower you interpretations and just simply say..."Yeah, I can see that?"

See what? That disbelief IS denial? That's an error.

Quote:

Or do you just want to continue your brow beating in order to emphasis that you are more intellegent than I and not worthy of a decent reply because I am not as smart as you?

What you interpret as 'brow beating' I interpret as your desire to avoid being wrong.

Quote:

It's quite baffling really! We have spent nearly four pages arguing over the technicalities of terms, and battling over definitions,

Not really. There's just you and your refusal to see that disbelief does not entail denial. Agree to that, and we're done.

Quote:

and you continue to ignore something that is common knowledge among the mass population of the US. I have asked this before, and the response has been along the lines that said population is ignorant. Which implies you are more informed than them.

Why is it such a shock that people who focus their attention on atheology would know more about atheology than people who do not study the concept at all?

Quote:

While the reality seems to be that you just ignore that they have a perception that differs from your strong athiest postition,

No one ignores the fact that the general public gets the terms wrong. We recognize that many people misuse the word.

I've already explained myself here on this issue as well, but I will repeat my points again. Words change in meaning. Sometimes, an erroneous understanding of a word will be popularized. As long as this erroneous use of the word continues to take place in the new context, the usage is 'correct' as per common (mis)understanding.

The only error that takes place is when someone tries to import this new meaning of the word back into the original context where the word was used and correctly understood as meaning something else.

So, if a person wants to say that they are agnostic on the choice of paper or plastic, that's fine. But if they want to import this meaning into a theological discussion, they are in error.

And this error is made clear by the fact that attempts to describe this 'agnosticism' lead to the sort of errors contained in your original question: what's the word for a person who believes and doesn't believe?

The mistake comes out here.

There is belief, and then there is non belief. There are many types of belief and non belief

gnostic theism
agnostic theism

and then there is weak and strong atheism.

The first is disbelief, the second is a more active denial.

Quote:

and that you are better than they are because of it. That's hypocricy, because you aren't better than they are.

No one is saying we are 'better than they are' - stop projecting all sorts of things onto 'us' and stop this desparate attempt to call us hypocritical when you don't even seem to know how to use the word.

All we are saying is that we know what the word 'agnostic' means, and that many people who don't bother to focus on these issues, don't. That does not imply that we are superior, only that we know the meaning of a word that many others don't bother to investigate in the first place.

Short wave radio enthusiasts know more about short wave radio than non enthusiasts...

Right?

doctors know more about medicine than non doctors

Right?

fans of madonna know more about madonna than non fans

Right?

napolean dynamite fans know more about napolean dynamite than non fans

Right?

historians tend to know more about history than non historians

Right?

model builders know more about models than non builders

Right?

stock car racing fans know more about stock cars than non fans

Right?

wheat famers know more wheat than most non farmers

Right?

and informed atheists know more about terms atheists use than lesser informed atheists, or non atheists.

Why does only the last example strike you as 'hypocritical'? and 'haughty or 'superior'? We know what the word 'agnostic' actually means. We can point you to the creator of the word. We can demonstrate, logically, why disbelief does not entail denial.

We have reasons, grounds, arguments, for why we hold to what we hold. It's our field of interest. Naturally, we know a few more things about such terms than does a random guy with no interest in this field.

Quote:

While you may be more intellegent than the masses, it seems to have left you with an inability to realize they have a valid perception.

They don't have a valid perception if they think it is possible to believe and not believe at the same time. Yet this is the sort of definition of 'agnostic' that I've seen dozens of times, not just from you. This error occurs because most people don't spend as much time as we do considering these topics and exploring them.

As for your revied form of your question, you confuse disbelief for denial. Again, most people don't devote themselves to considering these things.

Quote:

My claim is that there are people who haven't made up their mind as to whether there is a god, nor have they decided there is not a god--

Which means that they simply lack a belief. Atheism. Weak atheism. Implicit atheims. Whatever.

You think there is either belief or "disbelief' which you interpret as active denial. This is a false dichtomy, because disbelief is not denial.

There are varying degrees of belief and doubt. If one doubts but still believes to some degree, then one is a believer. If one no longer believes, then one enters into atheism. If one denies that there can be a god, then one enters into strong atheist.

There's no real 'middle ground' in the sense that you employ the concept. Why? Because any 'neutral' zone would automatically involve a lack of belief (you're not a theist), ergo the neutral position is weak atheism.

You want to keep trying to hold that there is a position that is neither theist nor atheist, but if you are not a theist, then you must be an atheist. The 'middle' ground actually takes place within atheism itself - weak atheism, or strong atheism.

Quote:

If you deny those people exist, then you are worse off than a hipocrite, and certainly not as intellegent as you project.

The complaint about whinning is so typical an hypocritical.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You are an ass. And a dumb one at that!

Before you were just saying that I was smarter than you. So, now, I'm a dumbass. Which means that a dumbass is smarter than you.

Quote:

How can you dare to call me a liar when I an stating what I think?

I don't call you a liar for expressing your thoughts, I call you a liar because you've claimed that you don't get a chance to bat... but here you are, posting. So that's your turn at bat.

Quote:

Hypocrite.

Quote:

Wrong word! check your precious OED.

I don't think I've cited the OED. You got the wrong fella.

Anyway, a hypocrite decries the very behavior that they themselves employ. They claim to have some set of higher moral standards, but they end up employing that which they decry.

Quote:

Perhaps calling this site hypocritical was too generous.?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's where I deal with

Here's where I deal with your 'corrected' version of your argument. proving that I did not 'avoid' your later attempts to correct your initial error.

You may now concede that I've dealt with this, and retract your previous statements above.

todangst wrote:
elnathan wrote:
todangst wrote:

Look at what you are saying.

A person who doesn't believe and doesn't DISBELIEVE.

Double negative.

Let's remove the double negative and restate your claim.

What do we end up with:

A person who believes and doesn't believe.

Your words here are internally contradictory.

I meant a person who doesn't ascribe to the belief there is NOT a god or gods.

That's strong atheism.

Atheism is a disbelief in gods.

You actually said this:

Quote:
What term do you use when referring to a person that doesn't believe or disbelieve in god(s)??

This would require that the person, believe, and not believe, at the same time.

To not not believe is to believe.

Quote:

Which is why the "common" terms are "generally" accepted, whether you and others here choose to acknoweldge them or not.

We're not disagreeing that the term 'agnostic' is commonly misued. No one denies that the meanings ascribed to words change over time. A word's meaning may be overgeneralized. This has happened to the word 'agnostic' The word is now used to describe uncertainty regarding ANY choice at all.

Do you prefer coffee or tea? Yankees or Mets?

I'm agnostic on that one. Not sure.

So yes, people use the term to express doubt.

So we are not saying every person, everywhere, is in error for using it that way. What we are saying is that it is an error to transport this new meaning back to the original context. Theologically speaking, agnosticism has to do with knowledge claims.

Quote:

thiest=believes in god(s)
athiests=believe there is/are no god(s)
agnostics=have no commitment to either belief.

This would mean that they don't believe. Atheism.

Strong atheism: disavowel of the possibilty of gods
theism: belief in a god

Weak atheism: disbelief.

Saying that agnosticism involves believing and not believing at the same time implies that agnosticism is doublethink. An agnostic would be at home in Oceania, and the neighbor of Winston Smith.

Luna
Luna's picture
User is offlineOffline
wow. This thread is still

wow. This thread is still ticking and look at me still reading and replying to it. --- damn you all, damn you all to hell!!!1 (<--- that's a joke people! OMFGLOLWTF!)

Listen Sapient, I have a ton of respect for you, your position, the fact that you are in charge here and the efforts you and the staff here have put in as well as the passion that gets put into a movement like this. I'm just going to say don't turn into something you despise --- it can happen subconsiously --- don't turn into one of "them."

Heck, I know what it's like to be bashed and you are trying to run a board and you spend your time and energy setting up web sites, etc.... I've done it. I own and manage a board myself and it has been a hard struggle.

I'm not going to split hairs with you on words or this issue any longer.

peace.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Luna wrote:

Luna wrote:

Listen Sapient, I have a ton of respect for you, your position, the fact that you are in charge here and the efforts you and the staff here have put in as well as the passion that gets put into a movement like this. I'm just going to say don't turn into something you despise --- it can happen subconsiously --- don't turn into one of "them."

Thanks Luna, I try very hard to keep myself in check. I have a great many people around me (and they have me) that help keep me balanced. I'm constantly bouncing thoughts off my closest friends and "thinktank" partners. It's some of them who have told me that my strength is my ability to take criticism and to adapt, and I use these folks to do exactly what you remind me of... never turn in to what I despise.

I've seen people who want to claim only "agnosticism" without atheism or theism go over 35 pages in a thread before, this thread is short. Like religion, the negative connotation affixed to atheism can be so ingrained in ones mind, it is very hard to break free from. It's just a word... no worse than "dumbass" and "dick." Eye-wink

Thanks Todangst for saving me the time of repeating the same thing again to Elnathan.

elnathan
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote:Here's where

todangst wrote:
Here's where I deal with your 'corrected' version of your argument. proving that I did not 'avoid' your later attempts to correct your initial error.

You may now concede that I've dealt with this, and retract your previous statements above.

I am pretty sure in one of the earliest attempts, I did make reference to people who deny the existence of god(s).

Yes...you have dealt with it! That doesn't mean that it has been accepted, or was adaquate.

I retract the feeble attempt in claiming you are a dumbass. sorry! That wasn't really what I was attempting though. That was because I was pressed for time and it seemed to fit at the time. I actually though you would disect the term much like the others and it would be more clear what I meant. Obviously that didn't happen.

Perhaps I did confuse you with someone else regarding a previous response. If so, I apologize for that.

I thought that was very clever to posit that you admit some people use the term(s) in error. That's a slick one I need to try and remember. I have seen the ploy before, it just keeps slipping my mind when it could be an effective tool in some debates. While it is a slick trick, it only works for some people, and I can generally see through the falicy of it pretty easily. These were pretty easy though. I hope your arm doesn't hurt from patting yourself on the back.

I still hold fast to the belief that you are well aware of what I am trying to point out, but just refuse to compromise and admit those people do exist--and I am not talking about the ones who use the term improperly....which I am confident you will come back with a shining example of how that might compromise your character, and can't be tolerated.

I am disappointed that you didn't refer to the OED regarding hypocrisy, and continue to refer to the same one the majority of the population uses. That's quite telling in itself there! Funny how you deny websters definition of agnostic, but refer to that definition of hypocrite, rather than the OED definition that I was referring too. It's pretty easy for you to claim I am using the term(s) improperly, when you keep flip-flopping on which source you are referring too. I think I saw that ploy used in other debates. If I recall correctly--it was some six years ago--that person appeared quite proud of himself for what he saw as a proven point, when the reality was that a great many people saw right through it and were laughing at him and he falsely perceived them to be laughing at his opponent.

It proves my point to me, and I don't care whether you agree, disagree, deny, believe or disbelieve there are people who are undecided about what they feel about the existense of god(s).

If you want to use your lastest discription of a hypocrite, then this board definately fits that discription. This board fights against something it doesn't even believe in; under the guise of helping people to attain free-thinking and understanding of the "truth."

It is "their" truth that they proport they are trying to help people undestand. It's not the real truth, merely the RRS perception of the truth. Anyone who doesn't believe that, is obviously ignorant of the truth, and if you don't believe it, just ask and they will be more than happy to show just how ignorant you really are.

More energy is spent redefining the terms being used, rather than trying to understand the conditions under which those terms are used. It becomes an argument about the argument...it's stupid. It's futile. It is a waste of time and energy to try and point that out around here.

Do you really think I posted in here and thought that by some miraculous word usage anyone (RRSer) would come back a comment like "Wow, I hadn't thought of it like that, yeah, I can see where that's hypocritical." Would the pot EVER call itself black? Well, maybe...because I do realize I have employed some of the same attitudes as some around here. It is so frustrating that I have lowered myself to name calling. But that is a pretty minor thing in comparison to the entire foundation of the RRS, and their stance against God, Christians, and anyone else who doesn't hold firm to their atheists beliefs.

Finally...there needs to be another term to classify the RRS attitude, because athiest really doesn't cut it in regards to indentifying the nature of a good many members around here. The sad thing is that RRS and Christians and Muslims are now competing for the same souls! Unfortunately, that later two are much more upfront about their goals, while RRS uses the pretense of freethinking and knowledge.

I will give you this though...most Christians do see things along the same definative terms as RRS. People are either "believers" or "nonbelievers." There is no middle of the road or middle ground. So RRS isn't that much different in those terms. There seems to be people dedicated to learning anti-theologic knowledge, and learning to refute the claims of theology--which I find very ironic. It is amazing to me that someone would study so hard and spend so much time and energy learning about something that themselves believe to be false, and are so totally against, is quite...unbelievable to me--or would have been if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

The reality of it is, it is quite fulfilling of Jesus' prophecies.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
elnathan wrote:

elnathan wrote:

It proves my point to me, and I don't care whether you agree, disagree, deny, believe or disbelieve there are people who are undecided about what they feel about the existense of god(s).

I'll agree. There are people undecided about God. And while they wait to make a decision on believing positively, they will remain a disbeliever... an atheist.

Quote:
Finally...there needs to be another term to classify the RRS attitude, because athiest really doesn't cut it in regards to indentifying the nature of a good many members around here.

Feel free to use antitheist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antitheist
An antitheist is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as "One opposed to belief in the existence of a God."

I think it's important to note that we are open to the notion that god belief is rational, we simply await the proper evidence.

Quote:
I will give you this though...most Christians do see things along the same definative terms as RRS. People are either "believers" or "nonbelievers." There is no middle of the road or middle ground. So RRS isn't that much different in those terms.

This stuff is laughable, it really is. I mean you just gotta laugh. Here's how it sounds outside of your box:

"I will give you this though...most scientists do see things along the same definative terms as RRS. People are either "humans" or "nonhumans." There is no middle of the road or middle ground."

HOW LUDICROUS OF US! thumbs up

Quote:
It is amazing to me that someone would study so hard and spend so much time and energy learning about something that themselves believe to be false, and are so totally against, is quite...unbelievable to me--or would have been if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

A testament to just how important it is for us to be informed on this issue that an overwhelming majority of the world takes seriously.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Sun Tzu wrote:If you know

Sun Tzu wrote:
If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.

Maybe a person would think it is wrong to think of this as a war but when religion shapes the world I have a right to treat it as such.

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sun Tzu wrote: If you know

Sun Tzu wrote:

If you know that you can't win a battle then don't fight it. If you know you can win the battle then dominate it.

Obviously, some have skipped over that little tidbit of wisdom because we have chosen to embrace the futility of discussion without definition. Rational, well-presented arguments have been presented in my opinion. It no longer becomes the burden of the informers to ease comprehension. If the time to reach understanding isn't used then it is simply time wasted upon the part of the person that doesn't wish to understand.

Same goes for me. I have no problem accepting the label of atheist without a 'clarifying' word for my lack of knowledge concerning any possibility of the supernatural.

It seems obvious that 'the devil is in the details' with regard to people wishing to popularize a word's definition to fit their own criteria.

Nietzsche wrote:

The liar is a person who uses the valid designations, the words, in order to make something which is unreal appear to be real.

elnathan
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: Feel free to

Sapient wrote:

Feel free to use antitheist.

Thank you for the term. It does seem to fit the theme of RRS better than a simple (weak or strong) athiest. After reading the link you provided, militant atheism seems to fit even better, in discribing the general belief and purpose of the RRS. Which is insightful, but becomes confusing when you follow it with.....

Sapient wrote:

I think it's important to note that we are open to the notion that god belief is rational, we simply await the proper evidence.

When you have stated several times that you think a belief in god(s) is irrational--among other things. (this is actually more wishy-washy, or flip-flopping than hypocritical).. I also noted that you confined that notion to 'belief in god', rather than simply god.

While I think you may be open to the fact that people have a belief in god(s), you don't appear to be "waiting" for any evidence of god, or open to the possibility of an existence of god(s), at all. It seems you have closed your mind to that possibility and feel confident there is no "proper" evidence. It seem you feel all evidence has been presented and the jury has returned a verdict.

Here's another interesting contradiction (imo) ....

Sapient wrote:

"I will give you this though...most scientists do see things along the same definative terms as RRS. People are either "humans" or "nonhumans." There is no middle of the road or middle ground."

I think you are forgetting at least one field of scientists--those that call themselves anthropologists. I am pretty confident they would disagree with the strict interpretation of that statement. The "strict interpretation" being that you began the comment by saying "people." (I like how you present arguments that can't be recounted, but aren't accurate representations of reality either.)

Anthropologists are continually searching for a creature that is neither human, nor monkey/ape; that search for the "missing link" that keeps them funded and supported in order to keep searching--technically, it could be argued that this would be the "first" human. Some claim to have found it, only to be refuted by other scientists. But that missing link wouldn't technically be human as we know humans, but a branch in the evolutionary tree leading to the present day human.

Which brings me back to a point you made earlier.

Do you really think these people would "love" to be proven wrong if it were proven no "missing link" existed? Do you think Dr. Meave Leakey would actually feel graditude toward that person? Do you really think she would thank someone who has just flushed her (and her husband's) life time of work and recognition down the toilet?

On the contrary, I do think you--and the rest of the Rational Response Squad--would be grateful if it were proven to you all that God existed and was real.

Which, is yet another example of the hypocricy displayed by RRS. You claim to support free thinking, and imply you encourage open mindedness, but the reality is, you place such restrictions and limitations (by allowing or disallowing resources, ideas, interpretations and disregarding others) on thinking, that it isn't openminded at all. Ironically, you seem to be too near sighted to see this.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
elnathan wrote:Sapient

elnathan wrote:
Sapient wrote:

When you have stated several times that you think a belief in god(s) is irrational--among other things. (this is actually more wishy-washy, or flip-flopping than hypocritical).. I also noted that you confined that notion to 'belief in god', rather than simply god.

While I think you may be open to the fact that people have a belief in god(s), you don't appear to be "waiting" for any evidence of god, or open to the possibility of an existence of god(s), at all. It seems you have closed your mind to that possibility and feel confident there is no "proper" evidence. It seem you feel all evidence has been presented and the jury has returned a verdict.

That's right all god belief is irrational. Should the evidence present itself it may become rational to believe in a god. So far all the "evidence" we've seen deserves the verdict: god belief is currently irrational.

It's no different than a belief that a snarfwidget is keeping the moon afloat... it's irrational.

Quote:

Here's another interesting contradiction (imo) ....
Sapient wrote:

I think you are forgetting at least one field of scientists--those that call themselves anthropologists. I am pretty confident they would disagree with the strict interpretation of that statement. The "strict interpretation" being that you began the comment by saying "people." (I like how you present arguments that can't be recounted, but aren't accurate representations of reality either.)

Anthropologists are continually searching for a creature that is neither human, nor monkey/ape; that search for the "missing link" that keeps them funded and supported in order to keep searching--technically, it could be argued that this would be the "first" human. Some claim to have found it, only to be refuted by other scientists. But that missing link wouldn't technically be human as we know humans, but a branch in the evolutionary tree leading to the present day human.

Funny how you just went through a two paragraph dodge to avoid saying that the link would still be "non-human." You in essence stated it was non-human in your last sentence, effectively proving me right, and your position a mere dodge of reality.

Quote:
Which brings me back to a point you made earlier.

Do you really think these people would "love" to be proven wrong if it were proven no "missing link" existed? Do you think Dr. Meave Leakey would actually feel graditude toward that person? Do you really think she would thank someone who has just flushed her (and her husband's) life time of work and recognition down the toilet?

I'm not sure we weren't talking about Leakey, we were talking about me, and the other scientist who was grateful for the correction as presented by Dawkins. I would hope that if the Leakeys' were made aware of a finding that proves their work wrong they would be grateful for science would have advanced, I suppose they could be too self absorbed to be happy about it though.

Quote:
On the contrary, I do think you--and the rest of the Rational Response Squad--would be grateful if it were proven to you all that God existed and was real.

I'd be simply grateful in proven to be wrong, no matter what it was. So I could correct myself, for my own advancement. It happens every few days.

Quote:
Which, is yet another example of the hypocricy displayed by RRS. You claim to support free thinking, and imply you encourage open mindedness, but the reality is, you place such restrictions and limitations (by allowing or disallowing resources, ideas, interpretations and disregarding others) on thinking, that it isn't openminded at all. Ironically, you seem to be too near sighted to see this.

There you go again making that bullshit hypocrisy charge without being able to defend it. Had I not been interested in freethought, your lies and falacious arguments wouldn't be allowed to exist on our forum.

Your posts violate our rules and yet they remain. Go figure. Furthermore I haven't released the rules yet as I feel they can be restrictive to freethought. I know the rules are mandatory and all of my mods agree with them, I just can't pull the trigger on posting them as I feel they're restrictive. So do me a favor asshole and go fuck yourself for continuosly leveling a charge at me that is dishonest. I allow your dishonest drivel to stay even though (portions of the rules):

=======================
1. Introduction.
=======================

Give us your nutters, your cranks, your theists yearning to be free, and we'll do our best to oblige them in the spirit of freethought.

The Rational Response Squad/No God Network will not allow a total zoo where troublemakers run roughshod over our explorers, nor do we want a stifling jailhouse where no real exploration gets done at all.

These House Rules outline a miniscule set of conventions of good conduct that aim at fostering a friendly, open and stimulating atmosphere crucial for the kind of forum we would like to preserve along with a consistent framework for dealing with various destructive shenanigans.

As the owners of this site, we reserve the right to remove anyone from our site at any time for any reason. We cannot be asked or even expected to provide financial and commercial support for any anyone whose main goal is detrimental to the site itself. We cannot be expected to pay to host posts making deceptive or dishonest claims about the site, written with the intent to undermine the credibilty or viability of the site. We are open to criticism of the site in the goal of improving it, we are not open to any attacks on the site, with the goal of obliterating it, especially from people who aren't willing to accept that they may be wrong. ---- YOU

===========================
2. Rules & Conventions.
===========================

2.1. Antagonism.
Antagonism is giving one or more members a hard time. Cases typically comprise a series of provocations, each not necessarily sanctionable in its own right. Incidents can include, but are by no means limited to the following:

1. Slander/Libel ----- YOU
  2. Clear intent to not argue a position, but to merely attack a person ---- BORDERLINE YOU
  3. Abuse
  4. Bullying

elnathan
User is offlineOffline
I didn't intend libel or

I didn't intend libel or slander...those are my opinions and insight on how it comes across to ME! I apologize for arguing poorly, and that it came across as an attack.

I didn't mean to personally attack you. I admit I am frustrated by the inability to make a point, and use harsh methods of argument that have obviously been interpreted as direct attacks. However, I have refrained from making comments like.....

"So do me a favor asshole and go fuck yourself for continuosly leveling a charge at me that is dishonest."

I did not charge you dishonestly! Perhaps I made poor comparisons, and implied assumptions as being factual, that were less than accurate. Which in my thinking they are, but, obviously we see things much differently and therefore percieve a tone and demenor that is not accurate.

Thank you for your generosity for allowing me to express myself stupidly.

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
elnathan wrote:I didn't

elnathan wrote:
I didn't intend libel or slander...those are my opinions and insight on how it comes across to ME! I apologize for arguing poorly, and that it came across as an attack.

I didn't mean to personally attack you. I admit I am frustrated by the inability to make a point, and use harsh methods of argument that have obviously been interpreted as direct attacks. However, I have refrained from making comments like.....

"So do me a favor asshole and go fuck yourself for continuosly leveling a charge at me that is dishonest."

With all respect, Sapient was pretty patient with you up til that point, but everyone has a limit. I would have snapped a lot sooner. I've been following this thread from the beginning, but refrained from posting, as I felt all the best points were being dealt with rather well already. So far, noone has been able to prove this site is hypocritical(by any definition), or that belief in god/other deities is anything but irrational(by any definition).

Good game, all.

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm actually getting a

I'm actually getting a little sick and fucking tired of fake fucking apologies that are only meant to try and take one more jab at an argument that was lost three pages ago. In my opinion.

elnathan wrote:
I did not charge you dishonestly! Perhaps I made poor comparisons, and implied assumptions as being factual, that were less than accurate. Which in my thinking they are, but, obviously we see things much differently and therefore percieve a tone and demenor that is not accurate.

lie2

• noun 1 an intentionally false statement. 2 a situation involving deception or founded on a mistaken impression.

• verb (lies, lied, lying) 1 tell a lie or lies. 2 (of a thing) present a false impression.

— PHRASES give the lie to serve to show that (something assumed to be true) is not true.

elnathan
User is offlineOffline
Geez...there's no need to

Geez...there's no need to get so defensive and emotional about this. Perhaps it's because you've done it a dozen times and now I come along and pick at the nerves.

I guess I just am not seeing why one would be so openminded that they barely retain themselves from ....what was that????

"I would have snapped a lot sooner. "....wth?

"Snapped" yeah that's real crowd pleaser there! It's always entertaining to watch that burst online.

I am offended by all the "being called a liar" too. The definition was a nice touch. The "situation involving deception or founded on a mistaken impression." is so discriptive of the entire thread. It seems all about the mistaken empressions, foundations, and deception. We've already established that I am a poor writer, how about helping me out and trying to take that into consideration while reading? Why the compulsion to lash out and call bullshit?

Completely twisted from the true intent, that I have been shown to be worthy of expulsion. It seems your actions coincide with your complaints.

Most everyone seems to enjoy playing with words here. Some are most sucessful at it than others...some are worse than that.

While I don't take this stuff lightly, I really don't think it is worth "going outside" to deal with it. If this were a bar, and we were all in it (realitively speaking, and metaphorically of course) glasses and bottles would be breaking. There's no need for all that. Geezees.

I really liked this one...

Quote:

I'm actually getting a

I'm actually getting a little sick and fucking tired of fake fucking apologies that are only meant to try and take one more jab at an argument that was lost three pages ago. In my opinion.

They were only half-hearted apologies, really, but, yeah...there was a jab there. So if we were in that "bar" and I nudged you with my elbow, you'd be all offended? It's all in good cheer.

Sure, we say things we don't really mean. On top of that, we write all this cool stuff and then throw it before swine, and wonder why it doesn't have more effect. But heay....It ain't that big a deal man, really!
Peace

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
elnathan

elnathan wrote:
Geez...there's no need to get so defensive and emotional about this. Perhaps it's because you've done it a dozen times and now I come along and pick at the nerves.

I guess I just am not seeing why one would be so openminded that they barely retain themselves from ....what was that????

"I would have snapped a lot sooner. "....wth?

"Snapped" yeah that's real crowd pleaser there! It's always entertaining to watch that burst online.

*sigh*
Not that it matters(because you'll accuse me of playing with semantics), I meant "snap" as in "spoke sharply and rudely",
"Put that Drano down!" Sheila snapped at the boy. tsk-tsk
NOT "went 'angry go nuts'"
Finally, Glamourkat and a bunch of RRS'ers snapped and got admitted to the looney bin. wtf

We're people here too. We have emotions and limits and sometimes people push them. Sapient runs this place. He technically COULD have deleted this and banned you when you started getting hostile. But as he's NOT a hypocrite(I don't believe he or any of the mods are), and I assume he wanted to give you a fair chance, he didn't. Doesn't that count for something? I think it does. I'd like to point out that that my earlier post was my first wander into this topic, and I wasn't expecting to get such vitriol from you, elnathan.

elnathan
User is offlineOffline
Sorry GlamourKat, I thought

Sorry GlamourKat, I thought you came ready to play...so sorry.

As I have said, there's no need to take all this personally. I do it too. I have admitted I reflect hypocritica attitudes and mistakenly lay down text that supports such reflections. (close enough???) Cool Doob

What are the "limits" of an open mind?

Why so much arguing about "technicalities?" More like techno-casualties. Perfectly good comments and points that are totally over-looked. (yeah, I understand the emotion behind that!!)

I often ponder the differences between being ignored and being chastized?

I happend across this that I thought I would add...

One of Sapients first responses to me was this wrote:

If I ask you do you believe in something and you say "I don't know" you've dodged the question. Agnosticism pertains to knowledge atheism pertains to belief. I personally "don't know" if there is a god, in that sense I am the fence sitter you speak of.

It was exactly that position I wanted to discuss, and find more insight into that mentality. Unfortunately, it suddenly became all about terms and definitions and dictionaries. That's not the sort of details I am looking for. I am interested in perceptions and impact. It is a intellectual excercise. Unfortunately, I am conformed by the more physical aspects that misstype letters and concepts out of habit. Replacing there with their, for not logical reason, other than there have been enormous amounts of text ran across the sceen during this....Geeze.....How long have you been watching text roll across your screen in such similar situations??

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
elnathan, No actually. It

elnathan,
No actually. It isn't 'all in good cheer'. It's a waste of valuable time and effort to re-hash the same old shit post after post.

You're right. There is no reason to 'go outside' because the rest of the site gets to check in here when there is a new post and see just how ridiculous this discussion with you has become.

Personally, if your intent to engage in 'deception or mistaken impression' was 'harmless' then I think it would be apparent.

You have yet to point out any hypocritical behavior or reasoning behind the motivations for this site to me or anyone else requesting your evidence.

elnathan wrote:
On top of that, we write all this cool stuff and then throw it before swine, and wonder why it doesn't have more effect.

However, the 'swine' have been force fed bad fodder and it has turned rancid in their stomachs. One must expect a certain amount of vomit in that situation upon both the feeder and the fed.
Perhaps a swine would be the perfect allegory to fit at least one side of this story. I would leave that judgment to the other readers.

elnathan
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:

darth_josh
No actually. It isn't 'all in good cheer'. It's a waste of valuable time and effort to re-hash the same old shit post after post.

The majority of the time it has been in good cheer with me!

Please inform me how it was a waste of time for you? Sapient was doing pretty well, and I really didn't see the need for your interference?

Why do you feel the need "waste your time" chastizing me? I don't really specifically remember asking or quoting about anthing about you this round?

Quote:

You're right. There is no reason to 'go outside' because the rest of the site gets to check in here when there is a new post and see just how ridiculous this discussion with you has become.

Hey...you don't seem me wandering the board causing trouble anywhere else do you? If you don't like what is going on....why do you feel compelled to post, much less read this drivel at all? Please enlighten me to what it is that makes you unable to resist reading this thread? Knowing full well upon entering it, it may very well be more of the same thing that triggered your emotional outbursts??? hahahaaa

And don't forget, it is you who are quoting me. I most often, only quote in response to something directed at me--most of the time. I will admit to a few stray quotes myself.

Perhaps this will help?...I was raised to speak when spoken to...so, if you want to throw your prose before swine like me, please don't snivel, grip, and complain because it gets a little ugly and revolting. M'kay? Smiling ...sorry....couldn't resist that jab. Eye-wink

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
It isn't MY time that you

It isn't MY time that you are wasting. There are other people more worthy of attention from the rrs than a troll like you in my opinion.

As I recall, it was your posts that got this thread moved from 'Killing them with kindness' Let me check. Yep. Page 1. Right after I expressed my viewpoint concerning your blatant refusal to admit that the idea of agnosticism as a 'middle ground' was flawed. I also pointed out that it isn't theists that are the problem being dealt with, it is theism.

Quote:
elnathan wrote:

What term do you use when referring to a person that doesn't believe or disbelieve in god(s)?? And don't give me atheist, because the are not anti-theist they are just unsure.

I would excuse the behavior of a new member.
I would also call that person irrational.
I would say that person needs to find a starting point for themselves rather than letting something else define them.
I would ask that person to logically examine themselves before questioning the labels that define others.
I would ask that person to read the other areas and other posters to look for an answer that might have been posted by someone else.

The position of anti-theisT has already been addressed as irrational. Why? Because the general concensus is that the atheists here are anti-theisM.

What's that feel like? To be so deluded that no one can respond to your obvious misconceptions concerning atheism. You cry about wanting open-mindedness and then proceed to close your own.

I threw the 'swine' comment back at you because it seemed as though you viewed everyone as contemptible in your posts. I reached a point right there where you allowed me to view you as hypocritical and you still have not altered that perception in my mind.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:I reached a

darth_josh wrote:
I reached a point right there where you allowed me to view you as hypocritical and you still have not altered that perception in my mind.

So incredibly ironic considering most arguments from theists are projections. I've counted that 5/6 people claiming we're hypocritical in the last two weeks, are actually projecting their own hypocrisies on us. The only person I didn't find a glaring hypocrisy on was skiminal the original poster of the thread.

darth_josh wrote:

It isn't MY time that you are wasting. There are other people more worthy of attention from the rrs than a troll like you in my opinion.

Exactly. If I want to teach someone the same thing over and over and over and over and over again, I'll do it with my children. Oh wait... they stopped making me do that when they turned 5.

elnathan
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote: I threw

darth_josh wrote:

I threw the 'swine' comment back at you because it seemed as though you viewed everyone as contemptible in your posts.

Not true! I don't hold anyone in contempt! You seem to have read way more into those posts than were implied. I am not feeling threatened here! Though I would have good reason to assume that possibility.

The whole "swine" thing....that was kind of off the wall on my part. I had hoped the implications and references would have been more positively received. Perhaps I am the only one that thinks I write effectively, but it seems I may have just as well thrown it to the pigs, and would have been better off for it? Actually...I was implying the feeling (you) may have had when you threw your pearls of prose to me, and were quickly consumed and gone. It was actually your writing that I thought you may have felt it was wasted and treated like slop! It was just a mere over sight due to time restrictions.

Quote:

I reached a point right there where you allowed me to view you as hypocritical and you still have not altered that perception in my mind.

Yeah...I am hypocritical too. I profess to have a higher standard than I actually reflect by my actions. I think sometimes we sway into a hyper-critical state that may actually more adaquately define the issues at hand. We pick and choose the things we respond to and adress. Examining every minute detail of just certain things we, each with a subjective and personal preconceptions. Those conceptions cause us to choose aspects we choose to focus on? !
Granted, I expect better behavior from others, before I actually reflect those attitudes myself. Not a good thing. Sad

But the argument is not about whether "I" am a hypocrite!

The thread regards the possibility of a hypocrical view being held by some member(s) of the RRS.

Before I get into all..... T H A T ... Let me put this one thing STRAIGHT!

I confirm and accept the concept that---There are theists and there are atheists! One or the other...no third division.

I got it. I acknowedged that a long time ago! It was not the technical terms and their definitions that I wanted to discuss. Let's get past that okay|?|

Quote:

Then go serve those other needs to those who are more worthy!!

You call me a troll, but I am just standing right here! I am not going to other threads responding to your posts. Visions of Trolls, reminds me of goulish things that hide under bridges and snatch unsuspecting passers-by. If my posts offend you, why are you compelled to continue to read and address them? If others are more worthy of attention, why not attend to them, and not keep coming back here?

I think it has been several days since I have posted in any other thread. So I really don't think that would in any conceivable way, indicate that I partake in trollish activity! I think you should take that back darth_josh...sir !

I know I left a lot of stuff out, but I want to see what Sapient said, then I think I will be done for the evening. Pork steak and potatoes for dinner and all.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
elnathan wrote: I confirm

elnathan wrote:

I confirm and accept the concept that---There are theists and there are atheists! One or the other...no third division.

I got it. I acknowedged that a long time ago! It was not the technical terms and their definitions that I wanted to discuss. Let's get past that okay|?|

OK, now that we got that out of the way. What is left of this hypocrisy charge? How are we hypocrites. I'm specifically looking for examples of issues in which we claim to represent or believe one thing yet our actions show differently.

Feel free to whittle it down to a few brief points, like naming the claimed belief, and then naming the contradicting action, no ridiculing cross chatter necessary.

elnathan
User is offlineOffline
Sorry I didn't get to this

Sorry I didn't get to this and the other post last night. I was nearly finished writing and ready to post when the electricity went out and all was lost--and why I didn't logout. Which is probably just as well, because now we are moving on...thanks.

Let's take your signature as an example...

Religious faith discourages independent thought, it's divisive and it's dangerous.

I assume, since you chose that as a sig, you hold to that belief. Granted, that may not be the case--perhaps you don't really belief religious faith discourages independent thought--but, I perceive that you do have that same perception. I still don't understand the perception of "danger" in religion. Of course there is the radical muslim that is destined to kill the infidels, but I don't think such radicals actually represent the perceived threat of danger from Christianity.

So....RRS....has chosen to open the minds of those who have religious belief? You claim that theists have a "mind disorder." Your stance is that people should be "free thinkers." At first, it seems like you would allow that people are free to think whatever they like. It projects an idea of open mindedness--one having a mind open to new ideas and positions. Granted, religion is nothing new, but it can be a new concept to some. RRS claims that one of the problems with religion is that it is a dividing force, that seperates people from each other. Yet you contradict these these precepts with your posts, and opinions, [by insisting on a division between theists and atheits--that's a division, and creating the same problem you blame on religion] and take a similar approach to winning converts as Christians.

RRS is close minded on the notion that God(s) may exist. The board is litered with examples that indicate that concept. You claim those who have religous belief are "brainwashed" and then employ brainwashing techniques yourselves.

Here's a little ditty I found at wikipedia...

Quote:

Brainwashing, also known as thought reform or re-education, is the application of coercive techniques to change the beliefs or behavior of one or more people usually for political or religious purposes.

Another definition says "Brainwashing agitates victims into submission."

Perhaps you don't see some of the posts as agitative, but, that would be yet another example of the close-mindedness I pointed out earlier.

So...you want to reform and re-educate theists, and weak atheists, You (Sapient) have already shown that you think it neccessary to repeat your self over, and over, and over, in order to get your point across. That is a brainwashing technique. One employed by the neo-conservatives I might add (if they tell people a lie enough times, it will become the truth). Yet, you strike out at religous groups because you claim they brainwash people. That's hypocritical.

The claim for "free thinking" is also hypocritical because you disallow people to express an opinion of considering the existense of god(s) and restrict such possibilities. Let me try to clarify that. You don't restrict them from expressing those opinion, you just reply negatively and emphatically and repetatively, under the guise of helping them to see the truth--with a few insults thrown in for good measure.

You refer to those theists with very negative conotation and accuse them of being narrow minded and ignorant of reality. Wanting to argue the definitions of terms, rather than addressing the subject. Granted, one must set a definition if one is going to use certain terms, but to continue to harp on those definitions, rather than the actual subjects is more like ignoring the issue, rather than dealing with it. Then claim to have dispelled said issue, but only to your own satisfaction, and not that of your opponent. A false victory--if you will. That's a form of hypocricy right there! /\

RRS is seen as hypocritical because of the stated belief that one should have an open mind and be allowed to think freely. Yet deny that a person who has chosen to believe in god(s) is doing so of free choice. Claims of brainwashing, indoctrinations, and blindness abound, regarding that persons belief. You, (RRS) claims that religion is forcing it way into American (or any) society and effecting the laws for their own purpose, and are strongly ridiculed for that. Yet, you do the same thing. The claim to support free thinking is belied by the fact that the only accept the beliefs that are aligned with RRS--especially in regard to religion.

side note: I plan to venture out into the political discussions where this theory can be more fully tested.

The October five rally is a good example. Now, don't get me wrong here....I think that is a noble cause. I too would like to see GWB ejected from office. But it is a fine example of how you want to influence the government with YOUR perspective, yet you ridicule "religion" for doing the same thing. But, it isn't hypocricy because you are right and they are wrong....correct?

Funny how you think that because you have dispelled the agnostic position that you have eliminated the charges of hypocricy. Which brings up another interesting point...the use of the word ..."charge"... We are talking about an image being perceived here. Whether RRS is really hypocritical or not doesn't really matter if it is seen as being hypocritical. It is the avoidance of the "perception of hypocricy" that Skiminal was trying to warn about (I think). The original post wasn't a charge or even an accusation. But the tyrantical responses and continued repetition and aggrevation are what re-enforced the accuracy of the term fitting here.

No one ever said...."I can understand how you might get that perception, but what we really mean is ________ ." No...you continued to insist that I didn't understand the meaning of the word atheist. You ignored the fact that I wanted to discuss those people that haven't made a commitment regarding their confirmed belief yet, but rather, continued to insist that person was already made a commitment to a belief or lack of belief.

RRS fits quite snuggly into the discription of militant antitheism. Yet, terms like strong/weak atheist are thrown about as being representative, instead. I am interested to know if this is an offensive term to RRS'rs? It shouldn't be. It fits VERY well. If it is offensive, then it is even more evidense of hypocricy.

I am quite confident that terrorists DO NOT see themselves as terrorists. Al-qaeda members probably don't even know they are al-qaeda (it is actually a term given to them by the US, and not one they use). The US claims to be fighting for "freedom" and is willing to kill people who are not receptive to that idea, and want to be free to govern themselves as they see fit, not as the US dictates. That is hypocricy

RRS claims to be fighting for a freedom of thought--as long as those thoughts don't include god(s). If you don't see that as hypocritical, then there is no point in continuing in this thread.

Would someone please be so kind as to point me in the direction of a good political thread?

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
elnathan wrote: Let's take

elnathan wrote:

Let's take your signature as an example...

Religious faith discourages independent thought, it's divisive and it's dangerous.

I assume, since you chose that as a sig, you hold to that belief.

Yes, I hold to that belief.

Quote:
I still don't understand the perception of "danger" in religion. Of course there is the radical muslim that is destined to kill the infidels, but I don't think such radicals actually represent the perceived threat of danger from Christianity.

You're moderate religious folks are enablers of the more fundamentalist religious folks. If all of the moderates would embrace reason over faith, they'd drop religion tommorrow and the world would be less than 30% religious instead of 80% religious. The moderates lend credibility to the fundamentalists and they don't even know it. Many fundamentalists are also spawned from more moderate sects or parents.

Quote:
So....RRS....has chosen to open the minds of those who have religious belief? You claim that theists have a "mind disorder." Your stance is that people should be "free thinkers." At first, it seems like you would allow that people are free to think whatever they like. It projects an idea of open mindedness--one having a mind open to new ideas and positions. Granted, religion is nothing new, but it can be a new concept to some.

You allude to this again in a moment, and I'll have to refer back to this definition, but you must keep in mind the very definition of freethought is the rejection of religious dogma. If you are thinking freely up to the point that you choose Christianity, it is at that point that your freethoughts have ended, and you are no longer a freethinker by definition:

Wikipedia: Freethought is a philosophical doctrine that holds that beliefs should be formed on the basis of science and logical principles and not be comprised by authority, tradition or any other dogmatic or other belief system that restricts logical reasoning. The cognitive application of freethought is known as freethinking, and practitioners of freethought are known as freethinkers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freethinker

Quote:
RRS claims that one of the problems with religion is that it is a dividing force, that seperates people from each other. Yet you contradict these these precepts with your posts, and opinions, [by insisting on a division between theists and atheits--that's a division, and creating the same problem you blame on religion] and take a similar approach to winning converts as Christians.

You've already agreed the distinction of atheist and theist being the only two available positions in reference to a belief in god is valid. Certainly you aren't insinuating we should bite our tongues when we see an injustice... that in my mind would be more of a hypcorisy then anything you've leveled at us.

Quote:
RRS is close minded on the notion that God(s) may exist.

This is yet again your problem in perception, you are being dishonest. We have stated many times we're open to the notion that a god may exist. Would you like to start providing evidence for one so we can examine it, or would you like to keep fighting this hypocrisy charge? Or both?

Quote:
The board is litered with examples that indicate that concept. You claim those who have religous belief are "brainwashed" and then employ brainwashing techniques yourselves.

I don't think they are all brainwashed nor do I think I've said that, although in many cases they are.

Quote:

Here's a little ditty I found at wikipedia...

Brainwashing, also known as thought reform or re-education, is the application of coercive techniques to change the beliefs or behavior of one or more people usually for political or religious purposes.

Interesting. This as close as you come to showing us that we're similar to what we claim to be against. However if this is the definition of brainwashing we would use than your common school teacher or university professor would fit the defintion of brainwashing. Using the following definition of coercion almost any teacher is coercive:

coerce: to compel by... authority

And I agree in many cases if you would like to adhere to a very loose definition of coerce than maybe we loosely fit the definition of brainwashing.

Of course the complete definition of coerce leads one to see that it deals more with force.

Furthermore I too looked up brainwashing in wiki and found this quote that goes in line with what I just said about it's loose meaning:

Quote:
Note that many of these techniques are more subtly used (usually unconsciously) by advertisers, governments, schools, parents and peers, so the aura of exoticism around "brainwashing" is undeserved.

In other words, yeah we might loosely fit the definition of brainwashing, but the method in which religion does it is completely different. In fact, a few sentences earlier they mention about brainwashing (and I think this is one of the most important parts):

Quote:
. It is often more helpful to analyze "brainwashing" as a combination of manipulations to promote persuasion and attitude change...and restriction of access to neutral sources of information.

That type of brainwashing is the most often used by the religious right. Going so far as to not allow specific books and tv shows into the lives of their children. In the case of RRS you couldn't even come close to leveling the same charge at us, as you wouldn't even be considered a neutral source of information, you are clearly past neutral and have a disdain for our actions. Your scathing (often dishonest) attacks are permitted here, and are accessible by our community to readily view. Furthermore there are plenty of theists on our board posting and giving people their side of the story. Not only are we not restricting your access to neutral sources, as I so easily pointed out we're not even restricting access to biased sources.

If you've listened to our show you'd also hear us state many times "Never blindly trust anything we have to say, please cross reference anything we say for yourself."

Quote:
Another definition says "Brainwashing agitates victims into submission."

Perhaps you don't see some of the posts as agitative, but, that would be yet another example of the close-mindedness I pointed out earlier.

I see some posts as agitative for sure. It seems we very loosely fit the definition of brainwashing.

Now... what does this mean?

Well, for starters as I pointed out, a teacher could easily fit the same definition of brainwashing. Don't some teachers agitate their students? Aren't teachers speaking from a position of authority?
Furthermore, you'll be hard pressed to see me speaking up against the specific act of brainwashing. If I spoke against brainwashing and engaged in it myself, that would be hypocritical. I don't generally speak against it, I speak against the beliefs that have arisen from it. You don't see an irrational precept on our list about brainwashing, you see one about being theist. I personally don't remember saying all theists are brainwashed, and I don't always equate the two. Of course if you want to make your definition of brainwashing loose enough to fit my actions, then everyone on Earth has been brainwashed at some point.

We're against irrational beliefs, not beliefs simply that are the result of brainwashing.

Quote:
So...you want to reform and re-educate theists, and weak atheists, You (Sapient) have already shown that you think it neccessary to repeat your self over, and over, and over, in order to get your point across. That is a brainwashing technique.

See, you're illustrating my point on just how loose of a definition you're using. In this sense likely almost everyone on Earth that has reached adulthood has brainwashed someone at some point, including yourself in this thread. This definition is so weak and so loose it might as well be thrown out.

Quote:
One employed by the neo-conservatives I might add (if they tell people a lie enough times, it will become the truth).

And yet I'd bet you can't point out a single lie I've told in this thread.

Quote:
Yet, you strike out at religous groups because you claim they brainwash people. That's hypocritical.

As I said, no I don't. I strike out at religious groups because the beliefs they hold are irrational. Honestly I don't care how they got to their irrational belief, whether it was brainwashing, thinking freely, independent curiousity... whatever, the fact is they now hold an irrational belief. Which is the belief that an invisible man is in the sky watching over us. A belief which has no evidence and is akin to me stating that a flying monkey is on my shoulders at all times.

Quote:
The claim for "free thinking" is also hypocritical because you disallow people to express an opinion of considering the existense of god(s) and restrict such possibilities. Let me try to clarify that. You don't restrict them from expressing those opinion, you just reply negatively and emphatically and repetatively, under the guise of helping them to see the truth--with a few insults thrown in for good measure.

This paragraph didn't prove it's point, it was simply another jab at me.

[quorte]You refer to those theists with very negative conotation and accuse them of being narrow minded and ignorant of reality.

Theists are narrow minded and ignorant of reality.

Quote:
Wanting to argue the definitions of terms, rather than addressing the subject.

When has anyone brough up an argument for theism in this thread? Nobody has. The charge was hypocrisy, and everything involving that. Furthermore, look at this post right now. My only discussion about definition of terms is a direct counter to your loose definition of the term brainwash in which you quote mined wiki to meet your needs.

Quote:
Granted, one must set a definition if one is going to use certain terms, but to continue to harp on those definitions, rather than the actual subjects is more like ignoring the issue, rather than dealing with it.

I'm dealing with the issue, and if you recognize that we must define the terms, then shut up about it. My discussion of definitions happened so frequently due to your inability to grasp a concept that the unfettered 5 year old mind could grasp.

Quote:
RRS is seen as hypocritical because of the stated belief that one should have an open mind and be allowed to think freely.

I don't care how we're "seen." We're also seen as devil worshippers... so what.

Quote:
Yet deny that a person who has chosen to believe in god(s) is doing so of free choice.

I'd never deny that, yet another lie on your part. What I would deny is that a person holding to a religious doctrine can be a freethinker, it's impossible based on the definition:

Wikipedia: Freethought is a philosophical doctrine that holds that beliefs should be formed on the basis of science and logical principles and not be comprised by authority, tradition or any other dogmatic or other belief system that restricts logical reasoning. The cognitive application of freethought is known as freethinking, and practitioners of freethought are known as freethinkers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freethinker

Quote:
Claims of brainwashing, indoctrinations, and blindness abound, regarding that persons belief. You, (RRS) claims that religion is forcing it way into American (or any) society and effecting the laws for their own purpose, and are strongly ridiculed for that. Yet, you do the same thing.

I ridicule beliefs that deserve ridicule under the scrutiny of logic, philosophy, and science. Religious people ridicule logic, philosophy, and science for it is in contradiction with their faith (belief that is not based on proof). If this makes me a hypocrite (of course it doesn't), then I would proudly be one.

I hold that beliefs should be based on proof. It is because I hold to this that beliefs that are not based on proof deserve ridicule. Nowhere did I say, that specific beliefs don't deserve ridicule. Again, I implore you... find a place ANYWHERE when I said beliefs don't deserve ridicule.

Quote:
The claim to support free thinking is belied by the fact that the only accept the beliefs that are aligned with RRS--especially in regard to religion.

Once again, freethinking requires that one have rejected religious dogma by definition.

Quote:
The October five rally is a good example. Now, don't get me wrong here....I think that is a noble cause. I too would like to see GWB ejected from office. But it is a fine example of how you want to influence the government with YOUR perspective, yet you ridicule "religion" for doing the same thing.

I don't ridicule religion for simply a perspective, I ridicule it for one based on no evidence. I have evidence to back my claims, religious people generally don't.

Quote:
But, it isn't hypocricy because you are right and they are wrong....correct?

I have evidence for my claims, they generally don't. It's rather simple.

Quote:
Funny how you think that because you have dispelled the agnostic position that you have eliminated the charges of hypocricy.

Where did I say that? The dishonest slant seeths off of your posts.

Quote:
Which brings up another interesting point...the use of the word ..."charge"... We are talking about an image being perceived here. Whether RRS is really hypocritical or not doesn't really matter if it is seen as being hypocritical. It is the avoidance of the "perception of hypocricy" that Skiminal was trying to warn about (I think).

I couldn't give two shits how I'm perceived. I'm not here to impress you.

Quote:
The original post wasn't a charge or even an accusation. But the tyrantical responses and continued repetition and aggrevation are what re-enforced the accuracy of the term fitting here.

So now merely the act of responding to accusers is a hypocrisy? Are you fucking insane? Tyrantical isn't a word that I'm aware of, I can only imagine what you meant.

We were posed questions and views we responded to each one. I would think that openness and honesty throughout the process counted for something, but supposedly it only enforced that we're hypocrites. Shocked

Quote:
No one ever said...."I can understand how you might get that perception, but what we really mean is ________ ." No...you continued to insist that I didn't understand the meaning of the word atheist.

You didn't understand the meaning of the word.

I love this notion that you need everything sugar coated as you level insult after insult dishonestly every step of the way. Look, if you can dish it out but you can't take blunt honesty, than I suggest you don't post here or anywhere else on the internet for that matter. Maybe you could post here.

Quote:
You ignored the fact that I wanted to discuss those people that haven't made a commitment regarding their confirmed belief yet, but rather, continued to insist that person was already made a commitment to a belief or lack of belief.

You STILL don't understand the terms! LOL

They didn't make a "commitment" to lack of belief, they simply sit in a lack of belief position while they await a stage of making a committment. unreal.

Quote:
RRS fits quite snuggly into the discription of militant antitheism. Yet, terms like strong/weak atheist are thrown about as being representative, instead. I am interested to know if this is an offensive term to RRS'rs? It shouldn't be. It fits VERY well. If it is offensive, then it is even more evidense of hypocricy.

Not really, but it shows you are less interested in honesty (who didn't know that) and more interested in rhetorical propaganda.

The word militant itself has connotations of war, fighting, violence, however nothing we do is violent. Are we engaged in a metaphoriocal war, one of words? Yes. Are we violent or would we ever condone it? No.

I would think if you wanted to let the readers clearly know, and you felt the need to use the term militant anti-theist you might want to qualify it with "non-violent." Of course, I'm not expecting you to start with honesty at this point.

Quote:
I am quite confident that terrorists DO NOT see themselves as terrorists.

Agreed. Even the US government wouldn't admit that we are the biggest most powerful terrorists on Earth.

Quote:
Al-qaeda members probably don't even know they are al-qaeda (it is actually a term given to them by the US, and not one they use. The US claims to be fighting for "freedom" and is willing to kill people who are not receptive to that idea, and want to be free to govern themselves as they see fit, not as the US dictates.

Agreed, both Alqaeda and the US government are terrorists and it isn't likely that either would admit it.

Quote:
RRS claims to be fighting for a freedom of thought--as long as those thoughts don't include god(s).

This is bordering on dishonest. People already have freedom of thought, we're not fighting for freedom of thought. We implore people to use their already existing freedom of thought to embrace reality, not superstition or myth (God).

Quote:
If you don't see that as hypocritical, then there is no point in continuing in this thread.

Hmmm. I can't see it as hypocritical, as you lied to make it appear as we are hypocrites. Feel free to leave the thread though at anytime, I'm not stopping you.

Quote:
Would someone please point me to a good political thread?

I wont.

elnathan
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: The cognitive

Sapient wrote:

The cognitive application of freethought is known as freethinking, and practitioners of freethought are known as freethinkers.

Okay…my bad. I simply assumed that freethinkers allowed for the freedom of all thought, or the ability to think for one’s self, without the influence of dogma—be it secular or non-secular. I will keep that in mind, that technically, and according to that definition it actually means freedom from religious thinking. Interesting concept, bigoted, but interesting.
[quote=Sapient}
You've already agreed the distinction of atheist and theist being the only two available positions in reference to a belief in god is valid. Certainly you aren't insinuating we should bite our tongues when we see an injustice...

No, I am not insinuating anything. I claim you reinforce the same division that you blame religion for.
Quote:

In other words, yeah we might loosely fit the definition of brainwashing, but the method in which religion does it is completely different.

How is your method different? I am not aware of any enforcement of dogma on the believer. The individual chooses to believe and follow. I can understand an enforcement of belief by religions such as the Taliban, but not in regards to Christianity—which I am under the impression is the one that is most threatening here.
Quote:

I disagree! That may be your perception and they may not fit your definition of reality, yet because you have not seen convincing evidence of god(s) you have established that one doesn’t exist. They may have a narrow focus, but that doesn’t equate to narrow mindedness. They are very aware of reality, they just view it differently than you (RRS) claim it to be.

Quote:

My discussion of definitions happened so frequently due to your inability to grasp a concept that the unfettered 5 year old mind could grasp.

How many times to I have to tell you that I understand that definition before you will let it go? I got it the first time, the second, and every time after that. You are the one being dishonest now.

Sorry…that’s all the time for now…maybe later…

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
elnathan wrote: I claim you

elnathan wrote:
I claim you reinforce the same division that you blame religion for.

By explaining that everyone is either atheist or theist, as you already agreed? (this is the example you gave for our division)

Quote:
Quote:

In other words, yeah we might loosely fit the definition of brainwashing, but the method in which religion does it is completely different.

How is your method different?

Religion tends to silence neutral and moreso opposite opinion... we went over this above (we don't, you're evidence of that). They instill fear in their kin that the other side is evil or lying, with either no or little evidence (I don't). The evidence that is presented generally is lacking of good logic (if I fail to use good logic, I admit error, theists generally do not, when it pertains to religion). They teach their flock not to question, they teach their beliefs with certainty that no others are needed (I don't, while I'm reasonably certain of mine, I implore others to cross reference anything RRS says).

Did you notice that I already answered this question and you selectively ignored the answer? This doesn't bode well for any shred of intellectual honesty you had left. Reread it all in context and I go on to make this point....

Sapient wrote:
wikipedia wrote:
. It is often more helpful to analyze "brainwashing" as a combination of manipulations to promote persuasion and attitude change...and restriction of access to neutral sources of information.

That type of brainwashing is the most often used by the religious right. Going so far as to not allow specific books and tv shows into the lives of their children. In the case of RRS you couldn't even come close to leveling the same charge at us, as you wouldn't even be considered a neutral source of information, you are clearly past neutral and have a disdain for our actions. Your scathing (often dishonest) attacks are permitted here, and are accessible by our community to readily view. Furthermore there are plenty of theists on our board posting and giving people their side of the story. Not only are we not restricting your access to neutral sources, as I so easily pointed out we're not even restricting access to biased sources.

If you've listened to our show you'd also hear us state many times "Never blindly trust anything we have to say, please cross reference anything we say for yourself."

YOUR NEXT POINT:

Quote:
I am not aware of any enforcement of dogma on the believer.

lol

Quote:
The individual chooses to believe and follow.

Right, I chose to go to CCD. All kids choose to go to Church. All those kids crying in the background noise of the Church, they all chose to go (that's how young they are when they are indoctrinated WITHOUT choice). :wheres my rolling eyes emoticon!:

Quote:
I can understand an enforcement of belief by religions such as the Taliban, but not in regards to Christianity—which I am under the impression is the one that is most threatening here.

Never seen a parent make their kid go to Church at an age where he/she was old enough to stay home, eh?

Are you in America, or purely an indoors person, what's the deal?

Quote:
Quote:

I disagree!

Who didn't see that coming.

Quote:
That may be your perception and they may not fit your definition of reality, yet because you have not seen convincing evidence of god(s) you have established that one doesn’t exist.

I have established there isn't compelling reason to believe. Here we see you assert that theists have evidence for god, this is why they believe, I just haven't seen their evidence. Of course any rational person knows this is bullshit.

1. If you had or they had some sort of valid evidence for a god, you'd have provided it by now. (you were asked to in the last post, and dodged that point)

2. I spent the first half of my life as a Christian, the second half researching it and studying it for hours everyday online. One would reasonably expect that the evidence that makes the beliefs of the 80% of the world tenable would have come across my path by now.

Quote:
They may have a narrow focus, but that doesn’t equate to narrow mindedness.

I was more interested in the "ignorant of reality" wording you used. Which is something I can state about all theists, any theists that aren't ignorant, are being dishonest.

Quote:
They are very aware of reality, they just view it differently than you (RRS) claim it to be.

No, they aren't "very" aware of reality, they are the furthest thing from it. How many Christians in America do you think accept evolution as fact? Do you accept evolution as fact?

Explain one thing to me that I claim about reality than is different from actual reality.

Quote:
Quote:

My discussion of definitions happened so frequently due to your inability to grasp a concept that the unfettered 5 year old mind could grasp.

How many times to I have to tell you that I understand that definition before you will let it go? I got it the first time, the second, and every time after that. You are the one being dishonest now.

If you actually understood it you wouldn't have asked over and over what do you call someone who doesn't believe or disbelieve. Not only was I not lying there, but you we're lying while calling me a liar. I wish I could say that's a new one.

Quote:
Sorry…that’s all the time for now…maybe later…

Welcome to my world, yet I responded to all of this (and your past) nonsense at length.

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
For an examination of the

For an examination of the other side, elnathan, please see the second word in the url:

Responders

The cases that you have given imply first cause, when in fact the Rational Response Squad is 'responding' to theism and its many logically bankrupt types.

It may be of no consequence, but your sig also seems to discourage 'freethought'. A point of hypocrisy on your part since inferring that to be a point of hypocrisy of the Dawkin's quote in Sapient's sig.

It isn't the enforcement of dogma on believers, it is the use of dogma BY believers in christianity, and all religions, that is divisive and dangerous. Have you bothered to watch the video of Dawkin's where he makes that statement? It's aptly called 'The Root of All Evil'

elnathan
User is offlineOffline
Whoa….sorry…wait a

Whoa….sorry…wait a minute! I think I may be onto something. While waiting for the video to become playable—having to install QuickTime (three times) just to watch it, I think I may have come up with something that can explain the problem I see we are having here.

It seems even more likely given that evidently, I am slower about reading and writing than some may be. But then it occurred to me—while thinking about it, that some people, when they read, speed read, they often skip through the actual sentences, and just pick out the important words in the sentence. Or skip through descriptive and insightful text.

That led me to further thoughts about the reader, and their perspective. What is it that could cause such misunderstanding and strife. That thought, brought back the memory of composition class, regarding the tone, perspective, and subjective the reader often brings into the writing, For instance, if the reader is in a bad mood and feeling rushed they may well read a more negative understanding than they would if they were more relaxed and in a better mood.

Somehow that conjured an image of eyeglasses, and the impact they have on the reader. That got me to thinking that if the reader (in this case Sapient and darth_josh) put on their reading glasses, that focus on the perspective with arrogance and bigotry, then it stands to reason that it would be misread. If it were skimmed through, then it becomes even more clear how I could have been so misunderstood regarding the points I was trying to make, which are obviously very different than the ones that were apparently perceived.

I don’t know really. I am grasping at straws at this point, to try and find a reason for such behavior. I really don’t remember trying to piss anyone off. I am not sure why it has become such a big deal.

I still haven’t gotten a straight answer as to why you are compelled to combat the majority of the things I say, and you seem to want to fight about it; especially being that it only minor points you continue to repeat. Then, even they get blown totally out of proportion and going even farther off topic; all the while, completely ignoring the major points with blatancy refusing to discuss them when presented.

Why aren’t you able to, or choose not to, address the important aspects of the discussion and get off the little shit? Please don’t give me that tired old cut’n’paste response you have been using.

Alas…it seems to be turning into yet another hopeless internet encounter. The gap is just too wide to bridge with text. The understanding is lost again. We scramble to get on the same page, and don’t realize we have two different books. You may have the same page number, but obviously, we are on different pages.

Just for the sake of argument, I will watch the recommended video, and return when it is over—and I bet you will hardly miss me.

PLAY VIDEO:
Wow…I liked that video! I really liked it when the good doctor got so flustered that I thought he was going to snap (yes, I do like that word, now). The ending was interesting. How handy the tape and mic was still rolling, but dr. didn’t allow us to hear what was actually said; pretty convenient in my perception of accurate documentaries. I thought pastor Ted was going to loose it, but it was noteworthy that he actually did keep his cool, while the other dude was….man… did you see those facial features, the eye blinking, the rapid breathing, swallowing, the flushed skin. Man, the good doctor was about to loose it.

Thanks again, for the link, by the way.
--just a little fyi about the pastor. He's not real "main-stream" in the church circles, but he did represent well.

It’s late, I have work that doesn’t allow me to be on the internet. Maybe I will watch another one later.

Btw--I had another round of responses, but I don’t think they would really add to the point. so hopefully the dust can settle a little bit.

I am disappointed that I wasn’t invited to a political thread though. I was really looking forward to that. Perhaps I can find one on my own.

This one is getting pretty worn out and I think we are all a bit cranky at this point, so I will just leave it at that.

Night!