fattychunks's picture
User is offlineOffline
Freethinking Community BASHED??

k, so i'm going to act like a kid here and copy what's been at this forum:

http://frenzyboard.com/index.php?action=read&topicId=2731915

why? because it'll prove my point.

here goes...

what was said in this thread was:

" This is sort of a companion to the thread I made a little while back about logical fallacies in Christian reasoning; I found a few quotes from a "freethinking" atheist website (which almost looks satirical until you check out the content) that I found amusing and that I hope everyone can appreciate"

and followed were some ranting of probably a young atheist. (the quotes can be found in the link above). i'm sure elegy will be flattered if she reads this... but the point i'm going to say here and make here is, wow all christians take things too seriously. and what i've said in response (i'm figit there at frenzy) is the following:

"k so it's a blog and she's free to think whatever she wants, hence freethinker community. we're free to disagree with each other. also consider she says she's not use to blogs. this post about a single person in a freethinking community is useless. i mean really, you can tell this is a young person. they need somewhere to vent. we were all there at one point. instead of pointing out how arrogant they are, why not try to help the person out??? when i usually hear someone IRL ranting on how stupid atheists are, i try to make a point in simply correcting them, not saying how arrogant or hypocrytical they are... i'm done with this thread..."

and i said:

" also, i spent more then 3 minutes at her blog, and you can see how there's disagreement among the 'freethinking community' should give it a read here:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/blog/elegy/20060824/this_is_not_spam_this_has_to_be_read

here the blogger said too "ughughugh I suck at explaining things and I hate that and lol@me 'cause no one's gonna read this I'll post it on Nexopia instead."

but lots of people actually did, and you can see here she even acknowledges she knows she's bad at explaining things. someone even says here that she has " a very conceded view here." see how freethinkers can disagree?

i mean, even from reading:
http://www.rationalresponders.com/blog/elegy/20060824/judeo_christian_semetic_and_abrahamic_religions

i think it's clear this person just needed a place to rant.. look at the picture of her. she's probably about 16~17. why take this person seriously so much that she needed a thread about her? if you saw she was so out of it, why not send her an email and ask her that you'd like to give her a different perspective on theism or religion.... i'm just baffled at why anyone would think this was remotely a blog to consider as threatening or a clear picture of the freethinking 'atheists' (hence title of thread)"

so, touche.

Elegy
Elegy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I kind of found that

I kind of found that stupid

Like, they must honestly have no lives because if they're gonna creep someone's blog (that was written because of pure boredom) and then make a thread about it and include everything that was said and pick at it like it's a history lesson, saying "oh well maybe she meant this", then uh...

they need to find something better to do.

"this is not spam it has to be read" was to get people to understand that being veg isn't all that "unnatural". and they didn't even know that. they took like 2 sentences out of my blog and called me an ignorant arrogant fake person.

religion is important to me and i'm really happy that i've finally found something i can go with and that is not believing in god, not having to follow the shitty rules of christianity, knowing better etc. so uh,

sorry if i gave rrs a bad name? and i hope i'm not forced to leave?

public apology? don't hate me?

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
[quote=Elegy

Elegy wrote:

"this is not spam it has to be read" was to get people to understand that being veg isn't all that "unnatural".

I just realized that was a play on words wasn't it? Spam as in the meat product? If so, very funny!

Quote:
sorry if i gave rrs a bad name? and i hope i'm not forced to leave?

public apology? don't hate me?

Anyone who would think that all members of our site represent all of the RRS radio show is no worry to me. No need to apologize. Your views are yours, not mine and your entitled to them, and to make them on our board and in your personal blog that we gladly host for you. Smiling

DrFear
User is offlineOffline
dude, you seriously need to

dude, you seriously need to stop apologizing and being so frickin' humble. get arrogant! assert your viewpoints! wanna talk about theists taking themselves too seriously? read some of the atheist/atheist disputes on this board. there are a few flagrant egotists who need to step back and view their online-intellectual activities next to their everyday-real-human activities and see the ridiculous contrast. the uber-educated so easily fall into elitist attitudes when engaged in intellectual-type debate online. they forget that they are still interacting with people much like the ones they interact with face-to-face on a daily basis....either that or they realize there are no consequences for obnoxious, bombastic behavior (}Smiling me?)
you will not be forced/asked to leave.
your views don't necessarily reflect the views of the RRS.
stop apologizing.
we won't hate you.
(not the ones that matter, anyway Smiling)

Fear out.

Fear is the mindkiller.

Elegy
Elegy's picture
User is offlineOffline
rrs is seriously the

rrs is seriously the best

i'll stop with the immaturity from now on though, i'm gonna start being serious and stop playing around

ps ha good way to look at it, but no it wasn't (a play on words)

but haha! so awesomeeeeeeeeee.

DrFear
User is offlineOffline
Elegy wrote: i'll stop with

Elegy wrote:

i'll stop with the immaturity from now on though, i'm gonna start being serious and stop playing around

FUCK that shit! why are you alive if you're not gonna spend every minute playing around and having fun??? you're gonna die some day, and there's gonna be a moment when you realize you're actually dying, and you're gonna think "man, why didn't i fill every minute of my life with fun and happiness?"
is that what you want? i didn't think so. be retarded. fuck shit up. seriousness is sad.

Fear is the mindkiller.

Elegy
Elegy's picture
User is offlineOffline
that was actually my

that was actually my viewpoint on life

don't care about anything and just live your life to the fullest blah blah

it didn't work

DrFear
User is offlineOffline
fine. whatever.

fine. whatever.

fattychunks
atheist
fattychunks's picture
User is offlineOffline
no no, Elegy, see the point

no no, Elegy, see the point that i even made on the frenzyboard was how incredibly arrogant and insensative it was for people who found your blog, looked at the parent site, and were like 'wow i found something so contradictory YAY!' and without a second thought, made a post about it. what the person at frenzyboard failed to realize is that you're a very good example of what makes up a free thinking community. i think you manifest the attitude that MANY of us have had to go through, and yes, it may come across as rebelious, perhaps irrational but shit, you're free to think what you want! i think you present the desire to learn and communicate and to understand in the same fashion i did when i was a teenager (18-ish?). it doesnt come across very in a very uhm... rational way all the time, and well, people like me (that care) recognize this. theres absolutely nothing wrong with it either. we ALL have had this attitude or persona at one time in our lives, so far be it from me (and from anyone else with a rational mind) to critisize you for it!

i had left that frenzyboard community when i started leaving theism cuz i saw the arrogancy of the young minds their.. even after all thse years, nothing has changed apparently. i'm done going there fer sure now. no reason why i would go back. freethinking communities present a much bigger challenge and welcoming atmosphere then any theist community i've bene involved with, irl or on the internet. and Elegy, you're a perfect addition to those of us that continue to live and learn.
=)
be yerself. and dont change.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm a little confused. Is

I'm a little confused.
Is this some teen drama?
Did I log into rational90210? Ooops. Showing my age there.

When Elegy requested that we stop discussing the matter, I quit posting in her blog entry. We discussed our views and went on from there.
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to serious adult discussion with a tinge of humor. Oh. You too, Fear. lol.

Just ask and from then on all I will post will be 'amens' and 'awomens'.

Incidentally, if I recall, Elegy already posted that she was 15. I would add that she is a very mentally mature 15 year old by relative standards, in my opinion.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

DrFear
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:I'm a

darth_josh wrote:
I'm a little confused.
Is this some teen drama?
Did I log into rational90210? Ooops. Showing my age there.

no shit, bald-o. }Smiling
way to alienate younger newcomers. i don't recall ever seeing any stipulations on this site about discussion being confined to "serious, adult" matters. mad props to the elderly-elite, we all poop our pants on occasion.
one note before i go, when i was younger, i fucking hated being referred to as a "teen"....it's lame, age-ist, and segregatory. this goes for everybody, even the ones who refer to themselves as 'teens'....the word just screams "don't take me seriously".
fart. turd. queef. ha ha haaaaaa
Jawdropping! oh my gawd, no he di-int, he did not just go there

Fear is the mindkiller.

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
LMAO "elderly-elite" You

LMAO
"elderly-elite"
You illustrated my point for me, Fear.

I will replace the adjectives 'serious' and 'adult' with 'rational'.

One question:
When I used the phrase 'teen drama', did you know exactly to what I was referring?

One statement:
When I was referred to as a teen, so long ago, it made me want to grow up and be more adult. I still want that. lol.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

DrFear
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh

darth_josh wrote:
LMAO
"elderly-elite"
You illustrated my point for me, Fear.

then i obviously didn't get your point.
darth_josh wrote:

I will replace the adjectives 'serious' and 'adult' with 'rational'.
that's better.
darth_josh wrote:

One question:
When I used the phrase 'teen drama', did you know exactly to what I was referring?

based on context, it would seem you were referring to that which you had just "logged into", that being a conversation regarding catty responses to a blog submission....
darth_josh wrote:

One statement:
When I was referred to as a teen, so long ago, it made me want to grow up and be more adult. I still want that. lol.

in my experience, it is the condition of being a teen to want to grow up and be more adult, automatically, so pointing out that we weren't quite there yet just pissed us off more.
aye, aye, Captain Obvious. Eye-wink

Fear is the mindkiller.

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
The point: "Ladies and

The point:

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to rational discussion with a tinge of humor. Oh. You too, Fear. lol." - darth_josh post edited quote

If we can't take it then should it be dished out to us? Why of course, my good doctor. For future reference see how easily the 'elderly-elite' comment was accepted.

You call the responses 'catty'. I'm surprised that Mr Shizzle hasn't called attention to the obvious discrimination of our feline friends. lol.

DrFear
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:The

darth_josh wrote:
The point:

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to rational discussion with a tinge of humor. Oh. You too, Fear. lol." - darth_josh post edited quote

a. i never got that statement in the first place. you're saying i don't engage in rational discussion witha tinge of humor? i thought that's all i did....
2. how does the elderly-elite snippit fit in to that? it being a tinge of humor, and all....?
darth_josh wrote:

If we can't take it then should it be dished out to us? Why of course, my good doctor. For future reference see how easily the 'elderly-elite' comment was accepted.

to whom are you referring that can't take it? i can take it. i know you can take it, otherwise i wouldn't have said it Sticking out tongue and i only said it in the context of 'going to bat' for someone else. hell, i'm no lowly, snot-nosed 'teen'! course, i'm not some crusty old bastard, either!

darth_josh wrote:

You call the responses 'catty'. I'm surprised that Mr Shizzle hasn't called attention to the obvious discrimination of our feline friends. lol.

ha ha, and how!
marvelous!

Fear is the mindkiller.

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think we're setting a good

I think we're setting a good example here. Really. Not sarcasm.
Why do you think that I called you out? Your posts have made me laugh while making me think. A quality which I find admirable.

lol

"lowly, snot-nosed 'teen'" of 33 that I am.

Personally, I think the rational people of any age and level of maturity are going to look at this and see how much fun it is to attack each other's posts.

fattychunks
atheist
fattychunks's picture
User is offlineOffline
"I think we're setting a

"I think we're setting a good example here. Really. Not sarcasm."

agreed!
Smiling

Elegy
Elegy's picture
User is offlineOffline
i think that's why they got

i think that's why they got mad

because they thought i was like 18 and were like "wtf, who's 18 and stupid"

i'm stupid 'cause i'm 15 Eye-wink how great.

reason_passion
Rational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
hardly stupid

I agree with a previous statement, for someone so young, the depth of your thinking is a testament to your desire to actually know things.

After looking over the previous posting regarding vegan living, there were often points of contention that weren't expressed at all in a mature manner. What needs to be kept in mind here is that when a view is expressed, especially when done so without any or with poor justification, there are those of us who wil pounce like avaricious tigers.

Critical thought is like vegetables, if it isn't nurtured and sometimes trimmed, it tends to wither and die.

Every one of your relationships to man and to nature must be a definite expression of your real, individual life corresponding to the object of your will. -Erich Fromm

fattychunks
atheist
fattychunks's picture
User is offlineOffline
"i think that's why they got

"i think that's why they got mad

because they thought i was like 18 and were like "wtf, who's 18 and stupid"

i'm stupid 'cause i'm 15 Eye-wink how great."

lol
well i dont look at it taht way, i think you're smarter then many 40 year old pastors i've debated
=P

"I agree with a previous statement, for someone so young, the depth of your thinking is a testament to your desire to actually know things."

for the record, i said that
=P
when i was 15, i was barely getting into reading scriptures, k? yer way ahead of yer time, Elegy

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think Elegy is very

I think Elegy is very intelligent. And she is not boastful about it. She is very kind also. She has more patience for ignorant people than those people at that board will ever have.

People are not perfect 24/7 and I think that board is ignorant for not recognizing that. People are angry sometimes and vent, or people just joke around. Everyone does those things.

I asked Elegy if she would practice logic with people who do not know it well and she started a thread for me.

I think Elegy gives atheism a very positive light. Atheists are good people. I think people are bigoted or ignorant. But that can change.