Logic

Elegy
Elegy's picture
User is offlineOffline

elnathan
User is offlineOffline
I am not really sure, but I

I am not really sure, but I don't remember seeing an implication that logic was useful for everything--but I may have missed a few things. Mr. Spock (of star trek fame) was certainly useful for exploring space, but I am guessing he would be a real drag at a party! Smiling

In intellectual matters you can think things out, but in spiritual matters you will only think yourself into further wandering thoughts and more confusion. --Oswald Chambers

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:elnathan: I am not

Quote:
elnathan:
I am not really sure, but I don't remember seeing an implication that logic was useful for everything--but I may have missed a few things.

I have debris rattling around in my head. I want to sort it out. I sense that logic can be very beneficial in many ways. Because I think I see in others who are logical something that verify it.

When I am not 100% sure I use words like "perceive" or "sense". I can change my mind or be open minded even if I was confident. I try to anyways. I value those.

How do we know that logic and a basic understanding of the scientific method, which most have forgotten from school, will not amplify enjoyment and progress for the individual in many different ways? I am simply curious what all can be done with a basic understanding of logic and the scientific method in daily living. Can they amplify us in some way? Give us better thinking habits? Amplify our experiences in some way? I do not know 100% really. I just threw it out there. I am trying to fill a void.

Quote:
elnathan:Mr. Spock (of star trek fame) was certainly useful for exploring space, but I am guessing he would be a real drag at a party! Smiling

I think todangst is like a Mr Spock, but unlike a vulcan is very down to earth and human. It must be possible to be both human and logical to the best of our abilities.

Perhaps we can use logic for cleaning house as far as rational beliefs, discover better ways of doing things and still be fun at parties when we are at parties. Being adaptable is a good thing.

In a given moment at the party logic might come in handy for a moment. Never know.

Sticking out tongue

Thank you for responding elnathan Smiling

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:darth_josh: Here's an

Quote:
darth_josh: Here's an example of another logical fallacy that I see a lot of:

'You're just jealous of my google-fu. You have no idea what the true meaning of google-fu is.'

The offhand response would be:
Jerk, you have no idea what my idea of google-fu is so how can you say that?

Thereby committing the same logical fallacy because of emotions about the initial ad hominem.

Ad Hom is a truth about a person or persons actions that is irrelevant to the persons arguments? A double ad hominem.. hehe.

Quote:
darth_josh:
When I've heard or read the responses from people whom I consider logical, they merely point to the fact that 'true meaning' is subjective. They completely ignore the logical fallacy part and focus upon the person's misconception. Thus negating the person's ad hom by ignoring it.

Smiling

Quote:
darth_Josh: Of course, the louder the attack, the louder the response.

Find the logical fallacy in that statement.

A does not necessarily cause B in all cases. Blanket statement of human reactions?

Hasty Generalization?

Smiling

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
AntiFaith wrote: A does not

AntiFaith wrote:

A does not necessarily cause B in all cases. Blanket statement of human reactions?

Hasty Generalization?

"the louder the attack, the louder the response."

I said it to someone who was just flat out crazy and then they broke all logical on me. lol.
They said it was a 'non causa' and used that post as evidence. lol.

I did find this resource.
http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/mathew/logic.html

I'm not quite 'in tune' with the paragraph concerning 'logically impossible' not meaning impossible. I suppose that may be semantics upon my part. lol.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:DarthJosh: "the louder

Quote:
DarthJosh:
"the louder the attack, the louder the response."

I said it to someone who was just flat out crazy and then they broke all logical on me. lol.
They said it was a 'non causa' and used that post as evidence. lol.

I did find this resource.
http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/mathew/logic.html

I'm not quite 'in tune' with the paragraph concerning 'logically impossible' not meaning impossible. I suppose that may be semantics upon my part. lol.

Thank you kindly DarthJosh! I book mark that link.

From your link:
"Non causa pro causa

The fallacy of Non Causa Pro Causa occurs when something is identified as the cause of an event, but it has not actually been shown to be the cause."

Yes. That fits much better. Smiling

I can not find a Christian to debate, so I am browsing Carm.org for apologetics to find logical fallacies. For practice. I will use thefallacy lists. Thank you.

"I said it to someone who was just flat out crazy and then they broke all logical on me. lol."

Who was that? In this thread? I sometimes have problems reading people right. Puzzled

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Who was that? In this

Quote:
Who was that? In this thread? I sometimes have problems reading people right.

No, not here.
On netrelate/secularity. There are more crazy people there, of all labels, than I can handle. lol.
Typically, if I post something remotely intelligent then three people read it, two people laugh at it, and three get pissed off. Very rarely does anyone discuss things anymore in a 'rational' manner.
Lately, when I've tried to engage people in a discussion their walls go up faster than a rocket.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That site has definitely

That site has definitely gone way downhill since the beginning of the year. I got banned from there in May.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:That site has

Quote:
That site has definitely gone way downhill since the beginning of the year. I got banned from there in May.

Matt's post would be an example of a non sequitur because how could his being banned have anything to do with the site sucking since the first of the year.

How could it be re-written to form a logical argument?

DrFear
User is offlineOffline
AntiFaith wrote: I can not

AntiFaith wrote:

I can not find a Christian to debate, so I am browsing Carm.org for apologetics to find logical fallacies. For practice. I will use thefallacy lists. Thank you.

i love the fact that rational soldiers-in-training are using christian forums as target practice. }Smiling

Fear is the mindkiller.

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hehe. I am there right now.

Hehe. I am there right now. I am SmartyPants over there. Sticking out tongue

I am looking for something that I know about that I can post here. I know the bible, but not science yet.

DrFear
User is offlineOffline
like mister josh said, it's

like mister josh said, it's way more about reading and learning than just about posting. oh, i spend so much time reading....and i hate reading...

Fear is the mindkiller.

fattychunks
atheist
fattychunks's picture
User is offlineOffline
AntiFaith wrote:Hehe. I am

AntiFaith wrote:

I am looking for something that I know about that I can post here. I know the bible, but not science yet.

the apologetics forum can be fun, yet theres a dick there named vapor that is a real terrible example of christianity... i had like, 70 posts he made against me and visa versa deleted cuz he was really getting into name calling...

fattychunks
atheist
fattychunks's picture
User is offlineOffline
"i am sorry to have implied

"i am sorry to have implied that you called logic complete. rather, what i was intending to say was that logic is not enough. basically: there is more to understanding daily experience than logical analysis"

do you have examples handy? cuz how can something be calculated in the brain without some sort of rational thought..

"but to look purely to logic to understand this bizarre aspect of reality is to, in my opinion, ignore the most interesting parts."

i dont think you truly comprehend the scope of logic then if you dont find it the most interesting method of understanding...

"furthermore, using rigid logic to communicate with every individual in every instance is not particularly appealing to me, schizophrenic or otherwise."

so you're just saying it's not your personal preference and i dont see any reason why i should consider this as an absolute reason against logic as the best tool...

"i am not assuming anything. i know from experience. i have faith. call it whatever you like, but im not arguing, im saying."

oh. faith. uhm. k. how is faith a valid form of calculating information.

"i do not have to use logic. i am free to think and express myself and do as i choose."

k. so do you care about how accurate your reasoning is to the reality around you?

"i do think that logic is a good tool, and should be used where it is applicable. a hammer is a good tool, but i dont work on my computer with a hammer."

i dont see how that relates to logic. the hammer thing. what are some examples where rational thought and logic are nto applicable?

"therefore, i view unreasoned thought as a valuable tool in understanding the subjective experiences of others as well as my own."

but arent you rationally concluding their thoughts to be irrational? this seems so circular.. but i'm curious where you're going with this so i hope you have more..

"subjective truth can justify any 'fact'."

that's an interesting statement, but i dont see how that's true or possible

"let it help you in every wonderful way that it surely can...i just dont think its reasonable to expect it to look into the center of experience and tell you whats going on."

i would see no reason to look elsewhere for a tool when in all probability, rational thinking and logic can achieve whatever is possible to comprehend.

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
fattychunks wrote:AntiFaith

fattychunks wrote:
AntiFaith wrote:

the apologetics forum can be fun, yet theres a dick there named vapor that is a real terrible example of christianity... i had like, 70 posts he made against me and visa versa deleted cuz he was really getting into name calling...

Thank you for the warning fattychunks. I will avoid him. And if he chases me around being mean, I will use scripture to chastize him with. I will not post that much there anyways. I made one post in the atheism forum. No replies yet. Thank you, I will go to the apologetics forum and get stuff from there.

I will not give them any reasonable reasons for banning me. It will be very interesting watching Christians debate eachother about theology and God I think.

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
For the heck of it I will

For the heck of it I will post this from thier atheist forum. No response yet.. I been there for a while now. It is hard to follow a discussion with everybody the way thier set up is.

Quote:
Theist asked:
Now this question has been growing & growing. Over three quarters of atheists in here are ex-christians, of which many seem to have a very mixed up view of Christianity. So 2 questions crop up:

1) Where they real Christians previously - I'm really suspicious in a lot of cases.

2) Are they real atheists now (or do they just harbor grudges against God and hence have huge axes to grind) ?

I posted:
Not all Christians are on the same page, so that might be why some non-Christians or ex-Christians misunderstand. I am a pacifist and so are my family. They are Evangelical Friends. But other Christians thinks war is ok for Christians...

1) Maybe some were and some were not. I felt like a Christian when I was one. What does scripture say a real Christian is?

2) Maybe some do and some do not. Maybe some harbor grudges against what other Christians did, maybe some became atheist through philosophy. People are different do you not agree Theist?

What all does scripture say about people who do not believe in God? How much scripture addresses your questions?

fattychunks
atheist
fattychunks's picture
User is offlineOffline
that would actually make for

that would actually make for a great new topic... i'll quote you and start it as a new topic

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
I want the theists name

OOps never mind. Smiling

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks fattychunks. That

Thanks fattychunks. That will be a good thread.

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is from their

This is from their apologetics forum.

Quote:
A Skeptic:
Now then...we all know how in the OT Yahweh's Law prescribed execution for quite a number of offenses, ranging from murder, to consensual sexual behavior, all the way to picking up sticks on the wrong day of the week. The method typically was stoning.
Stoning obviously is a brutal method of execution.

Keep in mind, according to Yahweh, his law is perfect and good.

In our modern era of course, such methods and laws cannot be applied in Western countries, courtesy of the infusion of secular thought (back in older times, Christians still loved the execution prescriptions in the OT).
In Muslim countries, one can still see stonings performed, and for similar offenses as in the OT. Secular ideals have not really stuck on yet.

Now naturally Christians will say people are not under Yahweh's Law anymore, so none of these Laws matter anymore...but...

Let's get right down to it, and throw the glove down on the table.
Do you, as a human being, find the execution prescriptions and their scope in Yahweh's Law to be barbaric, or not?
If some ruler exercised these Laws...would they be barbaric...and even tyrannical?

Barbaric as in uncivilized, and brutal. Stoning is extremely brutal.

The Law of God are the Mosaic Laws, which Israel lived under.

Example:

Deuteronomy 22:22
22 “If a man is found lying with the wife of another man, both of them shall die, the man who lay with the woman, and the woman. So you shall purge the evil from Israel.

Obviously adultery is not even a crime in our society, or Western society.

But Yahweh mandated it as a stoning offense.

Is this barbaric, or not? According to Yahweh it is holy and perfect.

Quote:
1stTheist:
Do you see the world we live in now (high murder rates, fornication embraced by the masses etc) as civilized? This may be where opinions differ on this. I think OT laws properly and justly adminstered would actually result in vrey peaceful decent world for my kids to grow up in.

1 Red herring. The question was: is Gods punnishments barbaric and brutal? 2) Tu quoque. If we are brutal then it is ok for God to be brutal. A being who can solve our problems without being limited to acts of barbarity or force 3) Suppressed Evidence Fallacy. This theist ignores the fact that we can not add to or diminish from Gods perfect word. Scripture all ready tells how to administer Gods law. 4) Naked assertion? The theist just asserts that the OT laws will result in a very peaceful world but does not look to see if capitol punnishment is really a deterant for violent crimes.

If I made some mistakes in my critique of this theists posts I welcome any imput in regards logical fallacies. Smiling

More are on thier way...

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
There might be too many

There might be too many pre-suppositions in the initial argument.
The answer is a 'dodge' so I think Red Herring would be right. The rest could be plead away as leading the question.

Of course, it's easy to be an armchair quarterback for me. I'm still learning too.

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:darthjosh: There might

Quote:
darthjosh:
There might be too many pre-suppositions in the initial argument.
The answer is a 'dodge' so I think Red Herring would be right. The rest could be plead away as leading the question.

Of course, it's easy to be an armchair quarterback for me. I'm still learning too.

Thank you kindly DarthJosh.

Quote:
"The rest could be plead away as leading the question."

So the Skeptic should have just simply asked "Is Gods laws from the O.T. in regards adultry unequal in that the punnishment is not equal to the crime being that adultry is not lethal? Like that?

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
In my opinion, that's pretty

In my opinion, that's pretty good. It kind of eliminates gray areas by focusing on one issue with regard to punishment versus sin. And leaves the argument open for the supporting evidence.