Seeking a Rational Response to an Editorial about Falwell...

Hillcat
User is offlineOffline
Seeking a Rational Response to an Editorial about Falwell...

Hi Folks,

I've spent the last several weeks fighting in an outrageous, on-going, culture war here in Lynchburg, Va. It really has taken MOST of my time. Apparently, the fight is unprecedented, (as other long-time residents have told me). This ideological/sociological battle is taking place on-line, in our local newspaper's "Readers' Comments" section, which is found by clicking the "Letters to the Editor" link, on the newspaper's home page. The Paper is called the Lynchburg "News & Advance". Here's a link,if you'd like to check it out:

http://www.newsadvance.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=LNA/Page/LNA_LettersPage&c=Page&cid=1047671213581

Today, (Sunday, Feb. 17), a letter to the editor caught my attention. I certainly hope that some of you very intelligent RRS participants will give me some suggestions on how to respond to it. Please DON'T hold back how you really feel about "the late" Jerry Falwell. Intellectual, as well as emotional responses are appreciated. Of course you could always post your own response on the newspaper's site, but if you don't, I'd like to use any input you guys might have, for inclusion in my own "reader's response". Here's the "letter", and thanks so much for your input:

"Another view

I recently read the Reader Reaction comments online about a story in The News & Advance to rename part of U.S. 460 for the late Jerry Falwell. Some believed he was undeserving of such an honor, threatening even to throw trash out onto that portion of the highway. Others strayed from the point entirely, discussing why he should not be referred to as “doctor.” Some even launched personal attacks on him and his “hoodwinked” supporters. To bash a good man who passed away nearly a year ago is rude at the least. Is a small measure of propriety and respect too much to ask?

As to the road renaming - there are more than 500 roads in this country named for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., who was a great man indeed. Is it so very unaccountable that there might be one small stretch of highway named for Dr. Jerry Falwell? He deserves that honor at the very least.

On the topic of his honorary doctorate, he received that recognition because of the great things he accomplished. He certainly had the intelligence and skill to earn several doctorates, but he was busy founding one of the largest evangelical universities in the world, among other things. If the objection lies with all honorary degrees, someone should tell Bill Gates to give up his, along with Bill Cosby and Oprah Winfrey. I am sure none of those people did anything worth noting, either. Some accused him of using the term with improper pride. Actually, I am not sure he ever called himself “Dr. Jerry Falwell.” If you asked his name, he said “Jerry Falwell.” If he signed his name, he wrote “Jerry Falwell.” Not “Reverend,” “Pastor,” “Chancellor,” “President” or “Doctor,” though all were perfectly valid titles. He gave all the glory for his accomplishments to God. To those who doubt his sincerity or faithfulness in serving God by saying that his supporters were “hoodwinked,” I would have to ask you how it is that God himself was so deceived by Jerry Falwell that He blessed everything he attempted to do.

To the naysayers, I am sorry that you did not have occasion to meet Dr. Jerry Falwell and learn what a kind-hearted, giving, honest person he was. I am not sure it was possible to know him and not like him. Regardless, there are thousands of people in this city who loved him dearly and still miss him every day, including his wife, children, and grandchildren. They should be allowed to celebrate his great legacy without a looming black cloud of spite from a vindictive few.

AMANDA STANLEY

Madison Heights"

So...how might I respond to Ms. Stanley, in a short...say...250 word rebuttal?

Thanks so much...

Hillcat.

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
MLK's family should be

MLK's family should be offended by the comparison, if anything. 

Here's something you might want to look at for a counterpoint: http://www.slate.com/id/2166337/

nullusdeus
SuperfanBronze Member
nullusdeus's picture
User is offlineOffline
stuntgibbon wrote: MLK's

stuntgibbon wrote:

MLK's family should be offended by the comparison, if anything.

Here's something you might want to look at for a counterpoint: http://www.slate.com/id/2166337/

As a Lynchburg area resident I wholeheartedly agree with that link. I think it was Christopher Hitchens that said, "if you gave Jerry Falwell an enima, you could have buried him in a matchbox."

Go get 'em Hillcat! 

Miracles don't exist. "Miracle" is a word given to a preposterous event that a theist considers dogmatically advantageous. Def. - Ecclesiastical sensationalism.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anyone who would blame 9/11

Anyone who would blame 9/11 on homosexuals permanently forgoes any claims of respect, and frankly, of average human intelligence.

As far as the comparison to MLK: I do not recall mr. falwell getting beaten, having his house firebombed, or getting assassinated for his life's work. I do not see how mr. falwell's life's work has enhanced freedom. In fact, I see the reverse: A "university education" whose curriculum includes a 6,000 year old earth (with dinosaurs and humans frolicking alongside each other) serves only to set back civilization.

I am sorry that I did not have occasion to meet mr. jerry falwell and tell him personally what a mean-spirited, greedy, spurious person he was. I can only hope that in his dying moments he realized the sweet chariots were not swinging low for him -- even as he used that falsehood to leech money out of his herd of gullible devotees.

While he was alive, falwell received acceptance well beyond his due by the higher-ups in government. Let his parasitism end there;  there should be no public memorial for this hateful pongid.  Bury him with his 3,000 year old brontosaurus bones, and forget him.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Hillcat
User is offlineOffline
Thank you!

Thank you very much, Zarathustra. This is JUST the sort of excellent retort I was hoping for. I love it. Plus it's so true. I'll get to work on utilizing this vein of thought ASAP.

Gratefully,

Hillcat

Hillcat
User is offlineOffline
Thank you!

Thank you Stuntgibbon,

This is SO much help to me. I knew my RRS friends could help point me in the right direction with this task. BTW, there is A LOT of support for our side of this battle here. After reading these "readers' comments" for the past few weeks, I'm surprised to find lots of folks "coming out" as nontheistic. It's very encouraging. Interestingly, they're using their real names in many cases, too. It's almost like a bold, brave, new Renaissance, (perhaps), here in 'Lunchbag'.

Thanks

Hillcat

Hillcat
User is offlineOffline
Hilarious!

Hilarious, Nulles. And isn't it a coincidence that Lynchburg is the HOME of the Fleet Enema? On second thought, maybe it's best JF didn't use one before the demise. We'd still be cleaning up the mess. But what an I thinking? We ARE!  

Talk atcha soon...

Hillcat

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hillcat wrote: Hilarious,

Hillcat wrote:

Hilarious, Nulles. And isn't it a coincidence that Lynchburg is the HOME of the Fleet Enema? On second thought, maybe it's best JF didn't use one before the demise. We'd still be cleaning up the mess. But what an I thinking? We ARE! 

LMAO! 

Hillcat
User is offlineOffline
Ha!

Ha! Thanks Shelley. Yeah, it feels good to laugh once in a while, especially now, as we all face what seems to be unprecedented ignorance.

Here's another "response" to the letter I posted above:

"Stop bashing Falwell
The News & Advance never ceases to amaze me.
Here it is, 10 months after the death of Jerry Falwell, and you print letters from bitter, jealous, angry people who hated everything he stood for (Letters to the Editor, Feb. 21).
I know you will not stop printing negative things about him; you seem to get too much enjoyment from it. But try to show some class, and give the family at least a year to mourn the loss of a great Christian, husband, father and grandfather.
Better yet, since you love to be critical of people who stand up for what is right and moral, maybe now you could go after someone who is actually alive and can defend himself! Like it or not, Jerry Falwell did more positive things for this city than anyone ever has or ever will.  
KATHY McNEILL
Forest"