Atheist- Morals and Philosophy

Maytacera
Maytacera's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheist- Morals and Philosophy

"Atheism" isn't much of a philosophy, it's just a part of a lot of different ones. I'm curious to see which philosophy the Atheists here identify, and their thoughts on morality.

Mr. Atheist (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
I'm fairly ignorant to

I'm fairly ignorant to philosophy so can't say I attribute a specific one to myself. 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
I believe that there are

I believe that there are biological moral traits, such as empathy, which are directed and developed in parallel with other culturally-evolved concepts (like music). We will continue to use our own judgement to determine the course of our society's morality, as I believe we have always done regardless of whether we try to hide our prescriptions behind 'divine' edicts and the selective exercise thereof. I believe that morality is subjective, but on a societal rather than individual level (i.e. the US is different from Saudi Arabia, but I'm less different from a Floridian); that the average person is the product of their society, differing from the norm only marginally, even without the threat of law or damnation. The severe exercise of law we reserve for the truly antisocial minority and those without empathy.

Maytacera
Maytacera's picture
User is offlineOffline
Alright. Any moral code in

Alright. Any moral code in particular?

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Philosophically, I've read a

Philosophically, I've read a bit of Russell, Dennett and Hume, and always enjoy re-reading Nietzsche to cleanse the palette, though I haven't gotten to his detailed solution to nihilism yet, which I'd heard was in Thus Spake Zarathustra.

Mr. Atheist (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
My moral & ethical code:

My moral & ethical code:

if (me.right == true && you.right == false) {

me.right = true;

you.right = false;

}

else if ( you.right == true && me.right == false)

{

me.right = true;

you.right = false;

}

else if ( me.right == true && you.right == true)

{

me.right = true;

you.right = false;

}

else if (me.right == false && you.right == false)

{

me.right = true;

you.right = false;

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Maytacera wrote: Alright.

Maytacera wrote:

Alright. Any moral code in particular?

Not really, and I don't really think codified morality as a prescription has proven reliable unless enforced. We can try to steer moral trends by example, by code, by philosophy, by argument, by legislation, with varying degrees of effectiveness, depending on how the idea interacts with preexisting moral inclinations and whether we have the means to back it up. Abrahamic religion has been effective, for instance, in spreading its morals because it appeals to a fear of death, and a desire for justice, most of us share. The lousiness of the ideas is forgiven because they're piggybacked to powerful inclinations.

Zymotic
Superfan
Zymotic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't know much about

I don't know much about philosophy either, but I have stumbled across a couple of things that I can agree with.

Epicureanism seems like a very well thought-out philosophy, especially for the time period in which it was popular. Christopher Hitchens and Thomas Jefferson have referred to themselves as epicureanists. Epicurus was one of the first to deal with the problem of evil (riddle of epicurus, anyone?). Epicureanists were also some of the first to believe that matter was made of atoms. Epicurus also wrote the Tetrapharmakos, which are great words to live by:

Don't fear god,
Don't worry about death;
What is good is easy to get, and
What is terrible is easy to endure

I also have read an Ayn Rand novel or two and have looked at Objectivism, but don't have the wherewithal to explain it. I definitely wouldn't consider myself well-read on the subject.

My Brand New Blog - Jesu Ad Nauseum.
God of the Gaps: As knowledge approaches infinity, God approaches zero. It's introductory calculus.

NickB
High Level DonorSpecial Agent
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr. Atheist wrote: My

Mr. Atheist wrote:

My moral & ethical code:

if (me.right == true && you.right == false) {

me.right = true;

you.right = false;

}

else if ( you.right == true && me.right == false)

{

me.right = true;

you.right = false;

}

else if ( me.right == true && you.right == true)

{

me.right = true;

you.right = false;

}

else if (me.right == false && you.right == false)

{

me.right = true;

you.right = false;

}

Hahahaha!

If Jesus was born today he would be institutionalized as a schizophrenic with delusions of grandeur.

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm actually reading up on

I'm actually reading up on the ancient greek philosophers now, maybe i`ll pick one whose values I identify with most.

Morte alla tyrannus et dei

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Though I am pretty well

Though I am pretty well versed in many different philosophies, I honestly hate name dropping them.  Something about saying, "I'm a naturalist neo-modernist Dennetian moral relativist" feels a bit snooty.  (That label is completely made up, by the way.)

As philosophies go, this is pretty much how I structure my own life and morality:

* Everything that exists is natural.

* There is no such thing as absolute good or evil.  Anything that can be judged as good or bad is actually 'better' or 'worse' with regard to a particular goal.

* Morality is a balance between what individuals want and the consequences of getting what they want.

* Reciprocal altruism is the root of morality, and it is instinctive.

I am not a humanist.  That is to say, I do not regard human life as a particularly high moral imperative.  I think there are about three billion too many people on the planet.  (I do not advocate forcibly reducing the population.  That's absurd.)

I'm an environmentalist, meaning that I believe preserving and protecting other species is a good goal. 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

daretoknow
Superfan
daretoknow's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think you know what I

I think you know what I ascribe too Tace ^^

hambydammit wrote:
* Reciprocal altruism is the root of morality, and it is instinctive.

Could you please explain how you have come to this conclusion? I normally hate the word altruism in association with morality. It is such a controversial idea that using it as a foundation for morality seems shaky at best. For instance, I think existence is a good basis and pretty unfalsifiable at that. Maybe you could explain what you base that supposition on. Thanks in advance.

Thats cute.

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
People tend to overthink

People tend to overthink this point, to me.  

Empathy and reciprocity are the basic pillars.  95% of it,  is common sense.  The other 5% makes for fun debate I suppose.

daretoknow
Superfan
daretoknow's picture
User is offlineOffline
stuntgibbon wrote: People

stuntgibbon wrote:

Empathy and reciprocity are the basic pillars. 95% of it, is common sense. The other 5% makes for fun debate I suppose.

I'd have to agree with you mostly. It would seem to be simple, but if that were so then I don't think there would be so much conflict.

If I had to assign values Empathy would get 94.5% of that 95% and .5 left for reciprocity. But those are only tools in my eyes. If you use empathy I think it possible to write out a moral code of sorts that is pretty objective. 

Thats cute.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
  daretoknow

daretoknow wrote:
stuntgibbon wrote:

Empathy and reciprocity are the basic pillars. 95% of it, is common sense. The other 5% makes for fun debate I suppose.

I'd have to agree with you mostly. It would seem to be simple, but if that were so then I don't think there would be so much conflict.[...]

Empathy starts with the recognition or perspective that another is like yourself; that you are capable of simulating their experience and making decisions regarding them based on your model of their consciousness. But this perception can be affected by superficial differences (causing racism), developed cultural hierarchies (misogyny, caste systems, classism), another sense of otherness within a community (leading to homophobia, abuse of the handicapped, etc.), or simple geographical boundaries (leading to nationalism, tribal warfare, or provincial views). One of the major differences between today's first world cultures and those of the past is the accessibility to information about people unlike ourselves, giving us the opportunity to develop empathy outside our normal tribal boundaries (family, town, country, race, sexual orientation, etc.). Conflicts are natural between people who don't recognize the other as like them. One of the biggest roles of propaganda is dehumanizing the enemy, making them more foreign and immune to empathy. Ultimately, I think developed morality is simply tweaking what we're already prone to.

daretoknow wrote:
If you use empathy I think it possible to write out a moral code of sorts that is pretty objective.

I think this is self-contradictory. Objectivity is what it is, where we must turn to subjectivity to introduce normative language (what we think ought to be, rather than what is). The human experience is, and will always be, a subjective one. This isn't to say establishing fairly accurate observations of the world is impossible, only that the urge to alter anything introduces subjectivity.

daretoknow
Superfan
daretoknow's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum

magilum wrote:

daretoknow wrote:
stuntgibbon wrote:

I'd have to agree with you mostly. It would seem to be simple, but if that were so then I don't think there would be so much conflict.[...]

Empathy starts with the recognition or perspective that another is like yourself; that you are capable of simulating their experience and making decisions regarding them based on your model of their consciousness. But this perception can be affected by superficial differences (causing racism), developed cultural hierarchies (misogyny, caste systems, classism), another sense of otherness within a community (leading to homophobia, abuse of the handicapped, etc.), or simple geographical boundaries (leading to nationalism, tribal warfare, or provincial views). One of the major differences between today's first world cultures and those of the past is the accessibility to information about people unlike ourselves, giving us the opportunity to develop empathy outside our normal tribal boundaries (family, town, country, race, sexual orientation, etc.). Conflicts are natural between people who don't recognize the other as like them. One of the biggest roles of propaganda is dehumanizing the enemy, making them more foreign and immune to empathy. Ultimately, I think developed morality is simply tweaking what we're already prone to.

I know what empathy is. I wasnt so clear on what definition I had in mind. When I say empathy, I mean realizing that we are all human individuals with, minus a few exceptions, a unified desire for life. From this premise no racism can permeate my thinking.

To sum it up:

1 ) we all exist 

2) we all have the same desire to life and happiness

3)  we use empathy to realize this and draw from it a basic right to life (this may be a jump but im in a hurry)

4) morality is realizing this right to life and never hindering someone else's life ,nor pursuit of hapiness, so long as they aren't violating another's in that pursuit. And by this I mean by force or coercion. 

daretoknow wrote:
If you use empathy I think it possible to write out a moral code of sorts that is pretty objective.

I think this is self-contradictory. Objectivity is what it is, where we must turn to subjectivity to introduce normative language (what we think ought to be, rather than what is). The human experience is, and will always be, a subjective one. This isn't to say establishing fairly accurate observations of the world is impossible, only that the urge to alter anything introduces subjectivity. 

In a world of uncertainty all we can aim for is to establish a fairly accurate observation of reality. I prefer to use axioms to establish my basis for morality though and in doing so I believe we answer the most while assuming the least. Wouldn't you say that my premise "we all exist as individuals" is objective? It also accounts for human subjectivity by removing most human activities from the moralistic realm to the realm of values. I think morals should only be based on things we observe as objective, and all other ideas or activities should be in the subjective category of values. This eliminates racism, sexism, biggotry and any other form of hate, because anything that you do that doesnt hurt others isn't a moral issue.

I hope this isn't unclear. I am hella tired rigth now. 

Thats cute.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Could you please

Quote:
Could you please explain how you have come to this conclusion?

Yes.  Evolultion is a system which is determined not by survival, but by reproduction.  (Evolution doesn't care how long you survive after you reproduce, unless you have to raise your child!)

According to game theory, in a social species (in which each member cannot be completely self-sufficient, such as humans), the math works out best if I give you a little bit of what I have, with the understanding that should roles be reversed, you will do the same.  In such a scenario, all members benefit more than in any other scenario, such as if one person hoards as much as possible, or if nobody ever helps anyone, or if helping is entirely random.

Put simply, it was more beneficial for our ancestors to practice reciprocal altruism.  Thus, those who did so became more successful at reproducing. 

Pleasure is nature's way of encouraging behavior.  Humans like sweets because sweetness was a way to tell good fruit from bad fruit, and humans who developed a fondness for sweets were healthier, and thus more reproductively successful, than those who did not.  In the same way, humans who enjoy being good to their neighbors were reproductively favored, such that eventually, all humans came to have an innate desire to "be good," and experience psychological pleasure from doing so.

Quote:
It is such a controversial idea that using it as a foundation for morality seems shaky at best.

Altruism is politically shaky, but I'm not aware of any significant controversy on the game theory or evolutionary level.

Quote:
I think existence is a good basis and pretty unfalsifiable at that.

Existence only takes us so far.  I know I exist, and I know you exist.  So what?  I'm going to go live on the lake, and never speak to you.

Unless each of us has something to gain from the other, we're not going to form social bonds.  Yet, unless you and I have exactly equal quantities of our wares, we will reach a point where one of us has, and the other has not.  If the one who has is not willing to make an uneven trade (altruism), our relationship will end.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

daretoknow
Superfan
daretoknow's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

According to game theory, in a social species (in which each member cannot be completely self-sufficient, such as humans), the math works out best if I give you a little bit of what I have, with the understanding that should roles be reversed, you will do the same. In such a scenario, all members benefit more than in any other scenario, such as if one person hoards as much as possible, or if nobody ever helps anyone, or if helping is entirely random.

this whole paragraph seems to contradict, by definition, altruism.

Hambydammit wrote:
reciprocal altruism

This seems to suffer an internal contradiction.

Hambydammit wrote:
Pleasure is nature's way of encouraging behavior. Humans like sweets because sweetness was a way to tell good fruit from bad fruit, and humans who developed a fondness for sweets were healthier, and thus more reproductively successful, than those who did not. In the same way, humans who enjoy being good to their neighbors were reproductively favored, such that eventually, all humans came to have an innate desire to "be good," and experience psychological pleasure from doing so.

The only problem with using our evolutionary past as a means for deriving morality is the fact that we are able to overcome our genetic tendencies, with genes being the main proponent of the evolutionary process. With the advent of consciousness (and no, I don't want to debate how consciousness manifests itself) I think a new basis for morality is neccesary.

Hambydammit wrote:
Altruism is politically shaky, but I'm not aware of any significant controversy on the game theory or evolutionary level.

I mean more specifically the definition of altruism. The word by its own definition is impossible. Altruism requires that you not expect anything in return. The only true altruism is absolutely self-destructive. Altruism is as much a virtue in my eyes as faith and self mutilation.

Hambydammit wrote:
Existence only takes us so far. I know I exist, and I know you exist. So what? I'm going to go live on the lake, and never speak to you.

Morality, by my definition, applies only when there is an interaction between humans (I only wish to discuss morality as relates to humans please). If you wish to live on a lake by yourself thats your perrogative, but it has no moral implications.

Hambydammit wrote:
Unless each of us has something to gain from the other, we're not going to form social bonds. Yet, unless you and I have exactly equal quantities of our wares, we will reach a point where one of us has, and the other has not. If the one who has is not willing to make an uneven trade (altruism), our relationship will end.

Again, you seem to contradict yourself by using the word "gain". Altruism and gain are mutually exclusive.

I know what you mean by altruism in the genetic sense, but it doesn't seem to pervade much beyond its unconscious affects on genes and the related evolutionary benefits. I draw a distinction between conscious and unconscious altruism. If that makes any sense.

Thats cute.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: this whole paragraph

Quote:
this whole paragraph seems to contradict, by definition, altruism.

Your definition of altruism is political, not scientific.  From Wiki, and pretty accurate: 

In evolutionary biology and evolutionary psychology, reciprocal altruism is a form of altruism in which one organism provides a benefit to another without expecting any immediate payment or compensation. However, reciprocal altruism is not unconditional. Firstly the act of altruism must give rise to a surplus of cooperation, in the sense that the gains to the beneficiary must be perceived to be meaningfully larger than the costs to the benefactor. Secondly the act of altruism should be reciprocated by the original beneficiary if the situation is later reversed. Failure to do so will usually cause the original benefactor to withdraw future acts of altruism.

Quote:
This seems to suffer an internal contradiction.

Ibid.

Quote:
The only problem with using our evolutionary past as a means for deriving morality is the fact that we are able to overcome our genetic tendencies, with genes being the main proponent of the evolutionary process. With the advent of consciousness (and no, I don't want to debate how consciousness manifests itself) I think a new basis for morality is neccesary.

Unless you're basing this on empirical evidence, I don't see any reason to abandon the already parsimonious explanation provided by evolution.

When you really start digging into human behavior, it's shocking how little we actually do overcome our biological drives.

Quote:
I mean more specifically the definition of altruism. The word by its own definition is impossible. Altruism requires that you not expect anything in return. The only true altruism is absolutely self-destructive. Altruism is as much a virtue in my eyes as faith and self mutilation.

Whether you like the scientific definition, it's correct, and it's what scientists use.  Perhaps you could choose another word for your concept of completely selfless giving (which, by the way, doesn't exist, as far as science can tell)

Traditionally, 'altruism' is a colloquial term for the non-existent completely selfless act.  It's a myth.  But, reciprocal altruism is real, and it's based on hard science.

Quote:
Morality, by my definition, applies only when there is an interaction between humans (I only wish to discuss morality as relates to humans please). If you wish to live on a lake by yourself thats your perrogative, but it has no moral implications.

Exactly.  And that is why existence cannot justify morality.

Quote:
Again, you seem to contradict yourself by using the word "gain". Altruism and gain are mutually exclusive.

Scientific definition.

Quote:
I know what you mean by altruism in the genetic sense, but it doesn't seem to pervade much beyond its unconscious affects on genes and the related evolutionary benefits. I draw a distinction between conscious and unconscious altruism. If that makes any sense.

I understand what you're saying, but you're wrong.  If you want to read about it, I suggest The Selfish Gene, by Richard Dawkins, as well as The Red Queen, by Matt Ridley.

Books about atheism

daretoknow
Superfan
daretoknow's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I understand what

Quote:

I understand what you're saying, but you're wrong. If you want to read about it, I suggest The Selfish Gene, by Richard Dawkins, as well as The Red Queen, by Matt Ridley.

My understanding of what you are saying and this subject comes from "The Selfish Gene". I am studying it as we speak. Now to say that I am blatantly wrong might be presumptuous of you, although I know what angle you are looking from. I was trying to set that hard line between the definitions. Now that we have that in place we might get somewhere in this conversation.

Quote:

Unless you're basing this on empirical evidence, I don't see any reason to abandon the already parsimonious explanation provided by evolution.

When you really start digging into human behavior, it's shocking how little we actually do overcome our biological drives.

I'll concede this point pending further education on my part.

Quote:

Exactly. And that is why existence cannot justify morality.

No, not simply "existence" in and of itself, but "individual existence" as applies to humans. This concept is an axiomatic base with which, using reason coupled with empathy, leads to a sound argument for objective morality. I don't think I am getting my point across effectively. One of the main reasons I started posting here was to become more proficient at explaining my ideas and positions to others, so thanks for taking the time to converse with me.

Thats cute.

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with some of the

I agree with some of the other posts. The concepts of empathy and reciprocity are good enough for most people to live by.

Moral relativism seems to make so many theists blood boil for some reason. They say that the <insert name of holy text here> is the correct moral code, but do completely the opposite. In the run up to the war it was known innocent people would die, but that didn't stop most christians for supporting it. If killing is wrong, what right do we have to wage pre-emptive war? So killing is bad according to the bible, but if you call innocent deaths collateral damage it's ok. I think I'll stick to empathy and reciprocity thank you.

I found this link too, that tells how bad atheists are discriminated against too. There goes love thy neighbor. http://www.law.gmu.edu/assets/homepages/isomin/files/LegalTimes_Atheism.pdf

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

magilum
User is offlineOffline
  daretoknow

daretoknow wrote:
magilum wrote:

daretoknow wrote:
stuntgibbon wrote:

I know what empathy is. I wasnt so clear on what definition I had in mind. When I say empathy, I mean realizing that we are all human individuals with, minus a few exceptions, a unified desire for life. From this premise no racism can permeate my thinking.

I agree in the sense that at least our own human lives must have intrinsic value to us if we're to proceed with any conversation, and we can't sincerely deny this and continue to function as humans. However, I consider this a different question to empathy. I could assume another person values their lives, or something that I consider to have intrinsic value, and react accordingly. Whether I am correct or not is not necessary for empathy, it's whether I am capable of regarding others as I regard myself -- possibly with some qualifiers depending on my observations -- but it is at heart a projection.

daretoknow wrote:
To sum it up:

1 ) we all exist 

2) we all have the same desire to life and happiness

3)  we use empathy to realize this and draw from it a basic right to life (this may be a jump but im in a hurry)

4) morality is realizing this right to life and never hindering someone else's life ,nor pursuit of hapiness, so long as they aren't violating another's in that pursuit. And by this I mean by force or coercion.

You have to make the declaration that a certain application of empathy (i.e. universal empathy toward humans) is the correct one. Empathy is intrinsic, as is the tendency to codify morals, but the codification of morals falls into the subjective and arbitrary realm of cultural development. Saying that there is a correct application of empathy is just another subjective and normative statement, because it isn't consistent with what is. The objective reality could be, for instance, that different cultures develop different standards of codified morality; which they do. I can gather data and get a probable model of what has happened in society, but I can't remain objective and say something ought to be different than it is.

daretoknow wrote:
daretoknow wrote:
daretoknow wrote:

In a world of uncertainty all we can aim for is to establish a fairly accurate observation of reality. I prefer to use axioms to establish my basis for morality though and in doing so I believe we answer the most while assuming the least. Wouldn't you say that my premise "we all exist as individuals" is objective? It also accounts for human subjectivity by removing most human activities from the moralistic realm to the realm of values. I think morals should only be based on things we observe as objective, and all other ideas or activities should be in the subjective category of values. This eliminates racism, sexism, biggotry and any other form of hate, because anything that you do that doesnt hurt others isn't a moral issue.

I hope this isn't unclear. I am hella tired rigth now.

As soon as it becomes prescriptive, it's not objective because you have to make value judgments, however basic. If life has intrinsic value to the individual, it doesn't follow that the life of every other person has intrinsic value to the individual. I agree that it ought to, but that's not universally true the way one's own life is valued. Even the value of one's own life can be devalued with cultural tweaking. I know Rand called her movement Objectivism, but her conclusions were subjective.

daretoknow
Superfan
daretoknow's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just for the record, I am

Just for the record, I am not a randite nor do i think that she was objective because she called herself an objectivist. I dont think she meant that she was 100% objective, just that objectivity was the goal of her philosophy. I don't agree with her on many points, but the core ideas of her philosophy intrigue me and I think they are well thought out.

And you are right about things as they are and things as they should be. I am merely arguing from an ideological standpoint and was not making claims about the nature of reality as it is. I don't see the problem with wanting to change from what it is to what it could be. Is there something that I am missing here?

Thats cute.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
daretoknow wrote: Just for

daretoknow wrote:
Just for the record, I am not a randite nor do i think that she was objective because she called herself an objectivist.

OK, sorry -- it was just an inference from the language used. Even if it was the case, I'm not using it as an excuse to misrepresent your position, though, if that was a concern.

daretoknow wrote:
I dont think she meant that she was 100% objective, just that objectivity was the goal of her philosophy. I don't agree with her on many points, but the core ideas of her philosophy intrigue me and I think they are well thought out.

And you are right about things as they are and things as they should be. I am merely arguing from an ideological standpoint and was not making claims about the nature of reality as it is. I don't see the problem with wanting to change from what it is to what it could be. Is there something that I am missing here?

It's not a huge disagreement, or generally important. It's just that an objectivity in morality can only be descriptive, not prescriptive. I can say what people have done so far, objectively, but once I introduce my notions of how I think things should be, or participate as an agency at all, I've introduced subjectivity. I don't consider that a bad thing, because I think a prescriptive objective philosophy is self-contradictory.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, for the record, I

Well, for the record, I thought it was pretty presumptuous of you to tell me that my system of morality was contradictory.  The OP asked what we individually base our morality on.  I told her, and then you told me I was contradicting myself.  If I was harsh in informing you which definition I was using, it was because you automatically assumed I was using your definition instead of simply saying, "Hey, what definition of altruism are you using, because with my definition, your explanation doesn't make sense?"

I've read the selfish gene, but it's been a while.  Can you point me to the chapter where he describes biological altruism as selfless, unreciprocated giving?

Books about atheism

daretoknow
Superfan
daretoknow's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whoa man I meant nothing by

Whoa man I meant nothing by it. Sorry if I don't ask questions the way you would like me too. I will try my best from now on. I said I "thought" that it sounded contradictory, because it appeared to me that you weren't using it in the sense that dawkin's did. So sorry for hijacking the thread and so sorry for questioning you.

Thats cute.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's cool, man. There are

It's cool, man. There are a lot of people who don't know their heads from a hole in the ground who attack philosophies based on false definitions. If I'm a little touchy about it, it's because I've argued probably 500 times with people who refused to pick up a science book, and it gets old. I don't just pull definitions out of midair, and it kind of offends me when people suggest that years of legitimate work on my part are null and void because they prefer their own non-scientific definition.

Pardon me if I misjudged you. I can see that you may not have meant it the way I took it.

I looked back at Dawkins. Here are his relevant quotes on altruism as indexed...

Pg 4: An entity, such as a baboon, is said to be altruistic if it behaves in such a way as to increase another such entity's welfare at the expense of its own... 'Welfare' is defined as 'chances of survival', even if the effect on actual life and death prospects is so small as to seem negligible.

(Clearly, he's not talking about 100% selfless here. Implicit in the definition is the fact that the baboon is not sacrificing all chances of its own survival, and there is no mention of whether or not the baboon will receive something in the future. It is defining a single act only.)

Pg 36: ...at the gene level, altruism must be bad and selfishness good... the gene is the basic unit of selfishness.

(At this level, the definition of altruism would not effect my philosophy, for I am talking about very large multicellular organisms, not genes. Culture, abstract thought, etc, are involved, so to make any comparison would be an error of composition.)

Pg 200: We can discuss ways of deliberately cultivating and nurturing pure, disinterested altruism -- something that has no place in nature, something that has never existed before in the whole history of the world... We... can rebel against the tyranny of the selfish replicators.

(Here, Dawkins is laying the foundation for philosophical altruism, and one would think that he might be discussing '100% altruism,' but in the next chapter, (chapter 12), he explains the game theory that renders the prisoners' dilemma workable, by self-policing individuals. This 'war of attrition' between competition and mutual benefit is the true nature of biological altruism.)

Dawkins explains reciprocal altruism at length. The birds who pick ticks off of each other, for instance. I didn't scan the whole thing, but from what I remember, I'm still at a loss to understand where you got the idea of 100% altruism from Dawkins.

Can you tell me where you got the idea?

Books about atheism

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
daretoknow wrote: I'd have

daretoknow wrote:

I'd have to agree with you mostly. It would seem to be simple, but if that were so then I don't think there would be so much conflict.

My track record for not starting major world conflicts is impeccble! Smiling

Coprolal1an
Coprolal1an's picture
User is offlineOffline
My beliefs are summed up as

My beliefs are summed up as follows:

1.) There is no god / higher powers, and if there was it would be necesary to abolish them/it

2.) Morality is non-existant. There are, however, certain restraints that should be put in place in order to allow society to function. Obviousely if we went around killing eachother, it would be difficult to progress, and it would make life for everyone (including yourself) miserable. The best philosphy to have in order to maitnain happyness of everyone (and thus yourself) is a live-and-let-live one; people should be free to do whatever they want, so long as it does not infringe on the rights of others to do so.

3.) Just because there is no god does not mean there is no altruism--atheists all too often assume that people are completely logical (they're not). People have the ability to give without the expectation of recieving, though more-often-than-not it can be explained as reciprocal altruism.

4.) Without gods, there is still value to be placed on non-tangable things--emotions and memories are all still important, reguardless of the fact that they are totally subjective.

5.) Since there are no gods, the only role of authority/government is to serve the people (their right is not god given, and the people do give the government power/do the work after all), and so a government that does not serve the people has no right to exist.

6.) People create meaning in their own lives, and do not need a god to do so. People should not fall prey to the lie that there is no meaning without gods.

daretoknow
Superfan
daretoknow's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: It's

Hambydammit wrote:

It's cool, man. There are a lot of people who don't know their heads from a hole in the ground who attack philosophies based on false definitions. If I'm a little touchy about it, it's because I've argued probably 500 times with people who refused to pick up a science book, and it gets old. I don't just pull definitions out of midair, and it kind of offends me when people suggest that years of legitimate work on my part are null and void because they prefer their own non-scientific definition.

Pardon me if I misjudged you. I can see that you may not have meant it the way I took it.

I understand fully your frustration. I too have been studying and building my case for years and people who are older than me just dismiss me because of my young age. Yet, they have never studied anything in their lives beyond a news paper.

I have been lurking these forums alot and I have to tell you that I highly respect your opinion.

Hambydammit wrote:
I looked back at Dawkins. Here are his relevant quotes on altruism as indexed...

Pg 4: An entity, such as a baboon, is said to be altruistic if it behaves in such a way as to increase another such entity's welfare at the expense of its own... 'Welfare' is defined as 'chances of survival', even if the effect on actual life and death prospects is so small as to seem negligible.

(Clearly, he's not talking about 100% selfless here. Implicit in the definition is the fact that the baboon is not sacrificing all chances of its own survival, and there is no mention of whether or not the baboon will receive something in the future. It is defining a single act only.)

Pg 36: ...at the gene level, altruism must be bad and selfishness good... the gene is the basic unit of selfishness.

(At this level, the definition of altruism would not effect my philosophy, for I am talking about very large multicellular organisms, not genes. Culture, abstract thought, etc, are involved, so to make any comparison would be an error of composition.)

That was exactly my point and I wasn't sure if you were making that distinction. I am not so good at articulating myself at times. To me the difference between genetic altruism and multicellular altruism is larger than even dawkin's expresses. I might still be attached to the idea that humans are greater than just the parts that compose us.

Hambydammit wrote:
Pg 200: We can discuss ways of deliberately cultivating and nurturing pure, disinterested altruism -- something that has no place in nature, something that has never existed before in the whole history of the world... We... can rebel against the tyranny of the selfish replicators.

(Here, Dawkins is laying the foundation for philosophical altruism, and one would think that he might be discussing '100% altruism,' but in the next chapter, (chapter 12), he explains the game theory that renders the prisoners' dilemma workable, by self-policing individuals. This 'war of attrition' between competition and mutual benefit is the true nature of biological altruism.)

Dawkins explains reciprocal altruism at length. The birds who pick ticks off of each other, for instance. I didn't scan the whole thing, but from what I remember, I'm still at a loss to understand where you got the idea of 100% altruism from Dawkins.

Can you tell me where you got the idea?

I never misunderstood dawkin's version of altruism, I misunderstood yours. I am new to all of this scientific morality not to mention a bit wary of its implications.

Thats cute.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I might still be

Quote:
I might still be attached to the idea that humans are greater than just the parts that compose us.

Were I a betting man, that's where my money would go.  Particularly in America, but to some degree worldwide, humans think more highly of themselves than is justified by the science.

Quote:
I never misunderstood dawkin's version of altruism, I misunderstood yours. I am new to all of this scientific morality not to mention a bit wary of its implications.

Hold onto your knickers for a while.  I'm actually working today on the next in my installment on sex, culture, myth, and morality.  If you're interested, you can read the first three...

On Myth, Sexuality, and Culture

Look at the bottom of the entry for links to the next two.  I've incorporated much of the second essay into the first, so you could actually skip that one if you wanted to.  I honestly can't remember if I joined the whole thing, though.

Books about atheism