I need some questions answered.

Kevin Khoo
User is offlineOffline
I need some questions answered.

I'm new here and I need the following questions answered. I would have trolled the site but there is no 'search' button. If there is I missed it, sorry. If you could point me to articles and essays written on the subjects I'd be most greatful.

1. Are their various kinds of Atheist? I mean I'd like to think that we could be seperated into 2 kinds.

a) Atheist who do not believe in God because there is no proof.

b) Atheist who do not believe in God because they choose not to.

I think agnostics fall in category A. I think. Does that mean if somehow proof was given that God exists, category A would then either cease to be Atheists or fall into category B? I'm in B. Even if there was proof I'd like to bitchslap God once before I get incinerated.

2. Is Atheism a religion? It cannot be simply because we're a community with shared beliefs?

3. Does belief/faith equate religion? I think I'm on a longshot here but after reading on Rich_Rodriguez's debate with the pastor (a brilliant piece I might add), I feel it does.

4. What are the other major strings of debate on Atheism beside Evolution, Faith and the Bible. Oh yes and Creation.

Thanks in advance for any help. As I really want to know more.

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
1:

1: http://www.rationalresponders.com/am_i_agnostic_or_atheist

2: No

3: Irrationality doesn't limit itself to religion, unfortunately

4: All religions involving incoherent and useless concepts such as "supernatural" and the like.

Mr. Atheist (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I'm new here and I

Quote:

I'm new here and I need the following questions answered. I would have trolled the site but there is no 'search' button. If there is I missed it, sorry. If you could point me to articles and essays written on the subjects I'd be most greatful.

Search function comes with memberships.

Quote:

1. Are their various kinds of Atheist? I mean I'd like to think that we could be seperated into 2 kinds.
a) Atheist who do not believe in God because there is no proof.
b) Atheist who do not believe in God because they choose not to.

I don't believe there is a reason to seperate them.  I choose not to because I don't see a reason to, and there is no proof.  I think I qualify for both.  Atheist is a boolean term, meaning that it is either TRUE or FALSE.  You can have people who hold differenct stances as far as the knowledge of god, and that is what we call gnosticism.  An agnostic atheist essentially believes that there is no way to know if there is a god while the gnostic atheist essentially says that they know for certain that there is not.  Using different words to classify different parts of peoples opinons we can seperate them.

There are also many other teams that people use that divide atheists into multiple groups such as brights, humanists, raeleans (hehe).  I actually support coming together under one umbrella since it makes it a lot more clear just how many people fall into this group.

Removing "agnostic" as a stance on theism from peoples brains is also going to be an important step to better identify people whos beliefs are without a deity.

Quote:

I think agnostics fall in category A. I think. Does that mean if somehow proof was given that God exists, category A would then either cease to be Atheists or fall into category B? I'm in B. Even if there was proof I'd like to bitchslap God once before I get incinerated.

Technically yes, agnostic atheists would fall into category A.  If I was provided with evidence that there is or is not a god I would shift from agnostic to gnostic.  My stance on atheism would change if the proof pointed to a god.
Quote:

2. Is Atheism a religion? It cannot be simply because we're a community with shared beliefs?

Atheism as a whole is not a religion, much like theism as a whole is not a religion.  It is an umbrella term for people without faith in a deity.  You could argue that there are atheist groups that are essentially or are religions like some forms of communism, the realeans, and others.

Atheists are also not a community of shared beliefs, they are a community of shared disbelief.  I don't need to agree on any other topic with Vanilla Ice and we both claim to not believe in a god we are both atheists.

Quote:

3. Does belief/faith equate religion? I think I'm on a longshot here but after reading on Rich_Rodriguez's debate with the pastor (a brilliant piece I might add), I feel it does.

No.  I was a theist and had a belief in god for a long time without aligning with a specific religion.  I think that any kind of grouping or organizing of it leads to religion or at least cult status.  Many people who self-classify themselves as agnostics are essentially theists without religion.

Quote:

4. What are the other major strings of debate on Atheism beside Evolution, Faith and the Bible. Oh yes and Creation.

Morals and Ethics is a big one.
Child development and indoctrination.
Abortion Issues.
Sources of War and Violence.

Quote:

Thanks in advance for any help. As I really want to know more.

I have a couple things that hit on a lot of subjects metioned here that I might reference you to:

Why Fight for Atheism?

The Bible: Literal, Metaphorical, Poetic

Is Abortion/Baby Killing Holy?

Kevin Khoo
User is offlineOffline
Cheers 2 both. Have read

Cheers 2 both. Have read the articles you have suggested. Great, once I've digested it will get back to you guys.

Only through donations do i get membership?

Mr. Atheist (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Kevin Khoo wrote: Cheers 2

Kevin Khoo wrote:

Cheers 2 both. Have read the articles you have suggested. Great, once I've digested it will get back to you guys.

Only through donations do i get membership?

Correct, subscriptions are available  via the left menu.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin Khoo wrote:

Kevin Khoo wrote:

Google Search this site... (it's over there on the left  <---  )

Girl Dancing In...
Girl Dancing In Orbit's picture
User is offlineOffline
You mean to say that even

You mean to say that even if there was solid evidence of Gods existence you would still not believe ?

If that's the case then you are as bad as theists since you believe things on irrational grounds. 

Si Dieu existe, c'est Son problème !
If God exists, it's His problem !--Graffiti on the walls of the Sorbonne (France), May 1968
romancedlife.blogspot.com

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
Girl Dancing In Orbit

Girl Dancing In Orbit wrote:

You mean to say that even if there was solid evidence of Gods existence you would still not believe ?

If that's the case then you are as bad as theists since you believe things on irrational grounds.

Believing and knowing are different. The OP stated: "Even if there was proof I'd like to bitchslap God once before I get incinerated." I feel the same way. Even if there was undeniable proof that the god of abe really does exist, I wouldn't want to serve him. I would much rather be part of the orgy in hell. Sticking out tongue Oh, and for some I AM GOD AS YOU bait, here's a Mark Twain quote: "Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

Kevin Khoo
User is offlineOffline
joshpatten

joshpatten wrote:

Believing and knowing are different. The OP stated: "Even if there was proof I'd like to bitchslap God once before I get incinerated." I feel the same way. Even if there was undeniable proof that the god of abe really does exist, I wouldn't want to serve him. I would much rather be part of the orgy in hell.

Zegackly! With proof I would KNOW there's a God but to believe in his teachings and his ways, he doesn't have a cunt-hair of a chance.

Girl Dancing In Orbit wrote:

I think it's how I phrased the question or the lack of it. My apologies.

By being prepared to accept proof that there is a God I think I've already qualified myself out of the theist circle. I've always met Theists who said "Show me proof there is no God" but what they really mean is "You've shit of a chance and I'll never accept your views" I'm sure you all have experienced this. Maybe not.

I come from a country that 'The Belief in God' is Federal Constitution. Islam is a majority shareholder in the religous dept. followed closely (but not my quantity) by xtians, hinduism and the others. Xtians wail and moan about religious oppression yet they are most inactive when it comes to inter-faith activities. I should know, was one of them. It's even worse for the muslims. Atleast other religions can op for a second crutch but if you're a muslim... wooohooooo. Nothing less than being branded a pariah by your community, any existing titles or land could be stripped and your will is as good as dogshit. Thats if you're discreet. If the religous police find out then it's black bag time. Actually you guys can look it up.

So if knowing but not wanting to believe in a God that incites fear and promotes xenothreskeiaphobia as the above, then yes I am just as bad.

DeathMunkyGod
atheist
User is offlineOffline
false

joshpatten wrote:

Believing and knowing are different.

This statement is false.  Basic epistemology.  Knowledge is defined as a true belief with verified justification.  It is a contradiction to state: "I know A, but I do not believe A".

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
User is offlineOffline
DeathMunkyGod

DeathMunkyGod wrote:
joshpatten wrote:

Believing and knowing are different.

This statement is false. Basic epistemology. Knowledge is defined as a true belief with verified justification. It is a contradiction to state: "I know A, but I do not believe A".

Come on now people, you all know exactly what he means.

And DeathMunkyGod, I'm prety sure that saying "I believe in static electricity" does not stand.