God and the State

MacProudhon
MacProudhon's picture
User is offlineOffline
God and the State

Hi there.

Although this thread is political I thought it would fit here better as it is mainly concerned with the basis of morality. I'm sure it will get moved if it is too political for this forum.  

Since becoming politicized when I was younger I have always held atheism as part of my ideological beliefs. I hold idealistic and pragmatic ideological beliefs, in that idealistically I believe anarcho-syndicalism (C.N.T. like) and pragmatically in some kind of super-extreme liberalism (kinda like anarcho-syndicalism!). The most important text I've always agreed with is from On Anarchism, By Bakunin, specifically God and the State. The section in this essay entitled Authority and Science has a passage that I have always found helpful in refuting theist concepts of god-given morality: -

"What is authority? Is it the inevitable power of the natural laws which manifest themselves in the necessary linking and succession of phenomena in the physical and social worlds? Indeed, against these laws revolt is not only forbidden - it is even impossible. We may misunderstand them or not know them at all, but we cannot disobey them; because they constitute the basis and the fundamental conditions of our existence; they envelop us, penetrate us, regulate all our movements. thoughts and acts; even when we believe that we disobey them, we only show their omnipotence.

Yes, we are absolutely the slaves of these laws. But in such slavery there is no humiliation, or, rather, it is not slavery at all. For slavery supposes an external master, a legislator outside of him whom he commands, while these laws are not outside of us; they are inherent in us; they constitute our being, our whole being, physically, intellectually, and morally; we live, we breathe, we act, we think, we wish only through these laws. Without them we are nothing, we are not. Whence, then, could we derive the power and the wish to rebel against them?

In his relation to natural laws but one liberty is possible to man - that of recognising and applying them on an ever-extending scale of conformity with the object of collective and individual emancipation of humanisation which he pursues. These laws, once recognised, exercise an authority which is never disputed by the mass of men. One must, for instance, be at bottom either a fool or a theologician or at least a metaphysician, jurist or bourgeois economist to rebel against the law by which twice two make four. One must have faith to imagine that fire will not burn nor water drown, except, indeed, recourse be had to some subterfuge founded in its turn on some other natural law. But these revolts, or rather, these attempts at or foolish fancies of an impossible revolt, are decidedly the exception: for, in general, it may be said that the mass of men, in their daily lives, acknowledge the government of common sense - that is, of the sum of the general laws generally recognised - in an almost absolute fashion."

- p.226 in "On Anarchism" or online here: http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/bakunin/works/various/authrty.htm

I have always felt that this completely refutes Xtian and theist ideas of morality and furthermore illustrates that morality is subjective and defined by its context of society, in that morality is not solid but a fluid thing and varies from culture to culture over a long enough time period.  I was wondering if anyone had any similar text from other authors or if they completely disagree or agree or find this helpful at all. 

qbg
User is offlineOffline
This reminds me of "The

This reminds me of "The Economic Tendency of Freethought" by Voltairine De Cleyre

Quote:
This is the logic of my textator, the logic of Catholicism, the only logic of Authoritarianism. The Catholic Church says: "You who are blind, be grateful that you can hear: God could have made you deaf as well. You who are starving, be thankful that you can breathe; God could deprive you of air as well as food. You who are sick, be grateful that you are not dead: God is very merciful to let you live at all. Under all times and circumstances take what you can get, and be thankful." These are the beneficences, the privileges, given by Authority.

Note the difference between a right and a privilege. A right, in the abstract, is a fact; it is not a thing to be given, established, or conferred; it is. Of the exercise of a right power may deprive me; of the right itself, never. Privilege, in the abstract, does not exist; there is no such thing. Rights recognized, privilege is destroyed.

But, in the practical, the moment you admit a supreme authority, you have denied rights. Practically the supremacy has all the rights, and no matter what the human race possesses, it does so merely at the caprice of that authority. The exercise of the respiratory function is not a right, but a privilege granted by God; the use of the soil is not a right, but a gracious allowance of Deity; the possession of product as the result of labor is not a right, but a boon bestowed. And the thievery of pure air, the withholding of land from use, the robbery of toil, are not wrongs (for if you have no rights, you cannot be wronged), but benign blessings bestowed by "the Giver of all Good" upon the air-thief, the landlord, and the labor-robber.

There is also have this part of chapter 9 of What is Anarchism? by Alexander Berkman:

Quote:

'But if we would lead a truly Christian life,' you remark, 'the world would be different.'

You are right, my friend. But can you live a Christian life under present conditions? Does capitalism allow you to lead such a life? Will the government permit you to do so? Will even the church give you a chance to live a Christian life?

Just try it for a single day and see what happens to you.

As you leave your house in the morning, determine to be a Christian that day and speak only the truth. As you pass the policeman on the corner, remind him of Christ and His commandments. Tell him to 'love his enemy as himself', and persuade him to throw away his club and gun.

And when you meet the soldier on the street, impress it upon him that Jesus had said, 'Thou shalt not kill.'

In your shop or office speak the whole truth to you employer. Tell him of the Nazarene's warning. 'What shall it profit you to gain the whole earth and lose your soul and its salvation?' Mention that He commanded us to share our last loaf with the poor; that He said that the rich man has no more chance of getting into heaven than the camel can pass through the eye of a needle.

And when you are brought to court for disturbing the peace of the, good Christians, remind the Judge: 'Judge not that ye be not judged.'

You will be declared a fool or a madman, and they will send you to a lunatic asylum or to prison.

You can see, then, what rank hypocrisy it is for the sky pilot to preach the Christian life to you. He knows as well as you that under capitalism and government there is no more chance to lead a Christian life than for a camel to 'pass through the needle's eye'. All those good folks who pretend to be Christians are just hypocrites who preach what cannot be practiced, for they don't give you any opportunity to lead a Christian life. No, not even to lead an ordinarily decent and honest life, without sham and deceit, without pretense and lying.

They may be dated, but you can still find good stuff from them.

"What right have you to condemn a murderer if you assume him necessary to "God's plan"? What logic can command the return of stolen property, or the branding of a thief, if the Almighty decreed it?"
-- The Economic Tendency of Freethought

MacProudhon
MacProudhon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have a vintage 1968

I have a vintage 1968 Freedom Press edition that doesn't include the first of the three sections. It's the British re-titled ABC of Anarchism version. I'm not sure if this bit is in it, it's been a few years since i read it. Thanks for the suggestion! Will try and find it It may be dated, but compared to religious texts not so much...

Thanks for the  Voltairine De Cleyre suggestion, definitely going to check that out, it sounds like a good read from that paragraph. 

cam
User is offlineOffline
welcome abord

Welcome aboard fellow left-leaning anarchist!

It's been quite some time since I read God and the State, it's probably time I went back for a reread.

Although religion is heavily criticized in the book, am I correct in remembering that Bakunin also talks about how scientists cannot be allowed to take over the state, as they will also undoubtedly form their own oppressive bureaucracy?

For abolition, not just separation, of church and state!

MacProudhon
MacProudhon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well if I was being pedantic

Well if I was being pedantic I would say that it argues against anyone taking over the State at all and wants to abolish it. But of corse you are correct. There is a complex relation between anarchism and emotional personalities that Vernon Richards points out in "Lessons of the Spanish Revolution". Complete and unrelenting scientific rationality and anarchism do not seem to mix. Unfortunately I am not anywhere near being able to understand this point yet. Let alone able to form a legitimate opinion on it. I'm only 20 though, got plenty of time!